Adjusting macros for high-volume cardio?

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
Hey all.

I know that the conventional wisdom states that fat:protein:carbs should be in a ratio of approximately 30:30:40, or 20:40:40, or any number of other, similar ratios.

Here's the issue, though. About 3 days/week I am running uphill intervals on the treadmill, for a total of about an hour. By the end of the hour, the treadmill's display (which accounts for my body weight, etc.) usually says that I've burned between 1400 and 1600 calories.
The issue is that this is a really big number, relative to my maintenance level (which is currently about 2500 calories).

I.e., if I were to take a rest day, I'd eat ~2500 calories in an approximate ratio between 20/40/40 and 30/30/40.
But, on days when I do intervals, my "maintenance" calories are about 2500 + 1500 = 4000.
So, on those days, I eat 3200-3800 calories (if I'm cutting) or 4200-4500 calories (if I'm bulking).
The question is: How does this affect macro ratios? Where should the extra calories come from?

Here's the way I've been approaching this so far. Basically, I take two extremes, and try to hit the average.
Extreme #1: Preserve the same ratios. In other words, eat the same ratio of F/P/C for the additional 1000 to 2000 calories.
Extreme #2: Pretend that all the running counts as "negative carbohydrates". So, if I burn N calories on the treadmill, subtract N/4 grams of carbs from that day's food.

Here's an example. Let's say that, on a normal day, I eat...
80 grams (720 cal) of fat;
220 grams (880 cal) of protein;
225 grams (900 cal) of carbs.
That's 2500 cals total.

Now, let's say I do an extra 1250 calories worth of running (let's keep the math simple, this is 1/2 of the maintenance cals).
Under extreme scenario #1, I should eat an extra 40g fat, 110g protein, and 112.5g carbs, for the following totals:
120 g (1080 cal) fat
330 g (1320 cal) pro
337.5 g (1350 cal) carb

Under extreme scenario #2, those 1250 calories count as "negative carbs", so I should just replace all of them with more carbs. That's a total of 312.5 *more* grams of carbs, so we have..
80 g (720 cal) fat
220 g (880 cal) pro
537.5 g (2150 cal) carb

Here are the problems I see with both.
#1: Holy crap, 120 grams of fat! 330 grams of protein! for a dude who only weighs about 75 kg. Those seem excessive.
#2: Holy crap, over 500 grams of carbs!

I've been trying to split the difference, so I would eat something like 100 g fat, 275 g pro, and 440 g carb on a day like this. That still produces wonky-looking percentages, though.
Results have been good. I'm not concerned with just "good", though -- I'm concerned with freaking awesome.

What do you guys think?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i think you should just eat your maintenece and c ut back a little on the cardio... why u doin so much anyhow? got a competition? look i think its best to try and off set with total calories and stay close to your original macro split.. also .. i recommend you bring up your protien and even-out the fat and carbs... also try to get a good amount of cals from healthy fats.. dont forget to count your fish oil intake and any other oils you may be useing as part of your daily macros.. so bring your fat/carbs/pro to.. 30/30/40

it certAInly wouldnt hurt to up all those cals in just carbs however youre likely to feel like sh!t from being so full and bloated. if u keep your macros even through the week it should help to keep insulin levels a little more even keel.

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
i think you should just eat your maintenece and c ut back a little on the cardio... why u doin so much anyhow?
I was once a national-class 200/400 meter guy. Keeps me sane.

i recommend you bring up your protien and even-out the fat and carbs... also try to get a good amount of cals from healthy fats.. dont forget to count your fish oil intake and any other oils you may be useing as part of your daily macros.. so bring your fat/carbs/pro to.. 30/30/40
Thanks. I definitely count fish oils, flax oils, etc. I am always surprised when people forget to do this.

30% carbs seems a bit low, no? unless you're on a cut?

I don't think my body would be singing love songs if i ate only 30% carbs, especially when I'm doing intervals 3x/week. But maybe I will experiment with it.

it certAInly wouldnt hurt to up all those cals in just carbs however youre likely to feel like sh!t from being so full and bloated. if u keep your macros even through the week it should help to keep insulin levels a little more even keel.
I can throw down the carbs like a champ. The only thing I don't stomach very well is green vegetables, which turn me into a zeppelin.

I think the bottom line here may be "experiment, keep a diary, then summarize." But if you guys have anything to add, fire away.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i think you will find that the dietary fats will offer you a nice boost in metabolism and testosterone production..and your still looking at more than 300 g of carbs ... anyhoo... i belive your last comment is your best approach no matter what any of us will tell you.

eluruguayo

eluruguayo

Awards
Cool, thanks.
I don't have time to log everything with a bunch of posts, but I'll throw up some kind of summary when I've played around a bit.

67nova

Awards
For one dont go completly by the machines calories.There set higher meaning they "also"add the calories that youd burn sitting around for the time of workout,say it says you burned 1200 actually you more then likely burned 900-1000 if that.

Only way to get a better/"true"reading is to wear a heart rate monitor.I know this from wearing mine and going over the outcome at the end.Now i refuse to be a rat on a machine as i find no enjoyment staring at the wall or seeing others hanging on to the rails watching tv.Much better to find a hill mark off meters and enjoy being outside rain or shine!