Thinking of cutting back on carbs to lower fat.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Good idea? Can I get away with not eatting carbs during the week or do I need some?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
alot of people have success on keto, get most carbs from veggies and such...carbs are not essential imo

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
You could easily cut the starchy carbs. I wouldn't cut ALL carbs, though.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Carb cycling is def. the best way to do it. You don't want to just "go without" all of a sudden. Your body won't respond well to that at all.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any references I can go by? I have never carb cycled before. I have read the anabolic diet, but never done it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm almost 260 and I would like to be about 225. I already walk 3 miles 3 times a week. and train 4 times a week.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PSMF for 3 weeks and then CKD

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Anyone got any good websites or links? I was looking at the anabolic diet, but Idk anyone who has tried it.

Pharaoh

Awards
i always cut bread and pasta when cutting. +1000 for the 790 avatar season 2 of lexx was clutch

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
I'm almost 260 and I would like to be about 225. I already walk 3 miles 3 times a week. and train 4 times a week.
Try the 666 method, it's amazing for Cutting down and not boring and long like walking 5 miles. 6 Sprints, 6 Days a Week, For 6 Weeks. Push yourself in the sprints, being your size try and at least hit 50 yards per sprint, walk back time is your recovery time. You know what you can sprint so judge yourself on how bad you want to lose weight. Remember it's 6 Sprints 6 days a week for 6 weeks. After your daily workout routine of course!

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
There are several sources outlining carb cycling .. BB.com is a good source ..

I am currently cycling and it seems to be working .. right now my carbs are limited to bowl of oats daily, grapefruit daily and one medium sweet potato per week .. on a high carb day I add in a slice of Ezekial bread and dextrose after my workout .. rest of my diet is filled with meat and green veggies .. I try for an average daily carb intake around 100g .. total daily calories its around 2400 .. I stick to the 100/day for a week or so then a day at 150 then 200 then 50 .. then back to 100 ...

BF has been steadily going down and I feel good .. got several friends that have done no carb diets and they were miserable ..

6 days a week, hour of cardio and 5 days of weight training ..

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Try the 666 method, it's amazing for Cutting down and not boring and long like walking 5 miles. 6 Sprints, 6 Days a Week, For 6 Weeks. Push yourself in the sprints, being your size try and at least hit 50 yards per sprint, walk back time is your recovery time. You know what you can sprint so judge yourself on how bad you want to lose weight. Remember it's 6 Sprints 6 days a week for 6 weeks. After your daily workout routine of course!
Can you do that and strength train?

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
Yes you can, it's not an excessive cardio workout, such as running 3 miles your body will begin to burn muscle tissue. It's basically a football drill, which are the best kind of workouts IMO for burning fat, gaining strength, and getting cardio in. You could look on google for "football running drills" or something similar and use them. Remember to walk back at medium pace for rest between sprints, but don't be lazy, you know how your body is and how you run use your own judgement.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Work your way up if you decide to do that. Start by doing 6 sprints 3 times a week for 2 weeks, then 4 times a week, then 5 or 6. Also, do some good track warm ups before sprinting: mobility and running drills to help avoid injuries and improve technique.

Even better for conditioning and dropping fat are shuttle runs. Such as 120 yard shuttles (0 to the 30 yard line and back twice).

Br

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Work your way up if you decide to do that. Start by doing 6 sprints 3 times a week for 2 weeks, then 4 times a week, then 5 or 6. Also, do some good track warm ups before sprinting: mobility and running drills to help avoid injuries and improve technique.

Even better for conditioning and dropping fat are shuttle runs. Such as 120 yard shuttles (0 to the 30 yard line and back twice).

Br
Yeah, I've been having a lot of pain in my shins while running recently. As stated multiple times I have flat feet.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure you have the right footwear. Go to a good running store and they will video tape your running mechanics and basically 'prescribe' a running sneaker.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Make sure you have the right footwear. Go to a good running store and they will video tape your running mechanics and basically 'prescribe' a running sneaker.
I did that, but the pain was there before the new shoes, now it's less painful. It's kind of an on and off thing. I have Asics Gel foundation 10 with powerstep maxx insoles.

ReedSkin

ReedSkin

Awards
Be sure and stretch your shins by extending your toes and movin them around, I have a friend who has shin splints he has to stretch his shins a good bit before running or he will be crying. I'm sure you have heard it a thousand times before but it really helps, also walking on an incline seems to help, if you dont overdue it

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I also have sleep apnea, which is another reason I want to loose fat %.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i always cut bread and pasta when cutting. +1000 for the 790 avatar season 2 of lexx was clutch
didnt see this till now lol. Yeah Lexx was a pretty good show. Not to mention Zev and Xev were both gorgeous.

Bish83

Awards
alot of people have success on keto, get most carbs from veggies and such...carbs are not essential imo
They are not essential as in you will not die instantly if you choose not to consume them. But no culture has ever lived off a meat only diet and i dare anyone to challenge me on that statement. Try and find out what triggers your cravings i.e. boredom, watching tv, having a good supply of crap in the cupboard i think your find its more a psychological response than simply certain food adds 10kg to your frame looking at it response.

Hope you dont misunderstand my post and take it as intended.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But no culture has ever lived off a meat only diet and i dare anyone to challenge me on that statement.
http://www.unm.edu/~hkaplan/KaplanHillLancasterHurtado_2000_LHEvolution.pdf

Several tribes of people have survived on primarily meat diets with very minimal intake of carbs, and even then the carb sources they consumed were primarily plant life (veggies) with the occasional tuber and/or fruit

I believe Cordain may also have published a paper on the macronutrient ratios of african tribes. I can try and dig that up for you if you like. And then there is Weston Prices research on the inuit people who also primarily eat meat and fish with very little carb intake (kelp and berries in the summer) which is due mostly to their environment.

Bish83

Awards
Several tribes of people have survived on primarily meat diets with very minimal intake of carbs, and even then the carb sources they consumed were primarily plant life (veggies) with the occasional tuber and/or fruit

I believe Cordain may also have published a paper on the macronutrient ratios of african tribes. I can try and dig that up for you if you like. And then there is Weston Prices research on the inuit people who also primarily eat meat and fish with very little carb intake (kelp and berries in the summer) which is due mostly to their environment.
Still not the same diet as what the current posters are suggesting.

The inuit people consumed their meat raw to putrefying not including the last meal of the day which was boiled just enough to still be pink inside. There was a guy that actually studied the inuits more in depth than Mr. Price and lived amongst them for several years its also noted seal meat contained a lot more vitamin c (more so raw) than any land animal.

I can't remember the specific African tribe but if its the one that only lived on cattle milk and blood they didn't live too long.

Both scenarios the meat wasn't cooked. Why is this an important factor?

Because although the inuits ate a meat predominant diet they never actually was in ketosis. Believe this or not but carbs help some where along the kreb cycle promote fat loss where as ketosis just encourages it to burn dietary fat instead.

I really wish i bm'd the studies i found about this, i remember reading about the fact ketosis raised free test but on the whole lowered total test and carbs actually increasing total testosterone.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still not the same diet as what the current posters are suggesting.
zone and paleo were both suggested to the OP

There was a guy that actually studied the inuits more in depth than Mr. Price and lived amongst them for several years its also noted seal meat contained a lot more vitamin c (more so raw) than any land animal.
Vilhfalmur Stefansson?

He also studied the inuit people (before Price did I believe). His book, "My life with the eskimos" can be found here - http://www.archive.org/stream/mylifewitheskim00andegoog#page/n6/mode/2up

He lived with the inuits for 11 years and his findings were pretty similar to Price... "For up to 6-9 months of the year, they ate nothing but meat and fish...got the necessary nutrients in the winter without much (or any) vegetable matter by eating the organs and oils"

Both scenarios the meat wasn't cooked. Why is this an important factor?

Because although the inuits ate a meat predominant diet they never actually was in ketosis. Believe this or not but carbs help some where along the kreb cycle promote fat loss where as ketosis just encourages it to burn dietary fat instead.
i responded to the statement "no culture has ever lived off a meat only diet" not "no culture has ever lived off a keto diet"

Also, mind explaining how eating raw fish would prevent an adaptation to ketosis from occurring?

I really wish i bm'd the studies i found about this, i remember reading about the fact ketosis raised free test but on the whole lowered total test and carbs actually increasing total testosterone.
If you find these please share as I would be very interested in seeing them although I have a feeling I know the one you are talking about.

Bish83

Awards
zone and paleo were both suggested to the OP

i responded to the statement "no culture has ever lived off a meat only diet" not "no culture has ever lived off a keto diet"

Also, mind explaining how eating raw fish would prevent an adaptation to ketosis from occurring?

If you find these please share as I would be very interested in seeing them although I have a feeling I know the one you are talking about.
Forgive me and i shall rephrase, no culture (in the last 10'000 years at least) lived off a meat only diet that wasn't raw and uncooked.

I am pretty sure it was Vilhfalmur Stefansson who found out that the inuits even though on a diet of mainly fish didn't go through ketosis and i think it was probably because they ate their food predominantly raw.

When i have more time i will find the study but since you may know the one im talking of im interested in your opinion (could link it for me too pls since i can't link anything anyways)

hvactech mentioned keto...

grappler22

grappler22

Awards
I also have sleep apnea, which is another reason I want to loose fat %.
Just wanted to chime in about this. Have you ever had an upper GI (endoscopy)done? Do you have any GERD (Gastric reflux)?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
They are not essential as in you will not die instantly if you choose not to consume them. But no culture has ever lived off a meat only diet and i dare anyone to challenge me on that statement. Try and find out what triggers your cravings i.e. boredom, watching tv, having a good supply of crap in the cupboard i think your find its more a psychological response than simply certain food adds 10kg to your frame looking at it response.

Hope you dont misunderstand my post and take it as intended.
most people do not run a keto diet for the duration of their life either so the comparison is pointless, the op was merely asking about cutting out/down carbs for fat loss

jared767

Awards
I wouldn't cut on carbs completely. You need it to fuel your muscle and brain.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I wouldn't cut on carbs completely. You need it to fuel your muscle and brain.
protein and fats do not serve as fuel? i agree to keep sanity in check carbs are needed

murk01

murk01

Awards
Cut all simple searches and sugar completely. No pasta or bread. Get ur carbs from assorted fruits and veg. Stay away from realty sweet fruits like strawberries and watermelon. Eat high protein. Mostly chicken, FISH and lean beef. U will lose bodyfat quick

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Cut all simple searches and sugar completely. No pasta or bread. Get ur carbs from assorted fruits and veg. Stay away from realty sweet fruits like strawberries and watermelon. Eat high protein. Mostly chicken, FISH and lean beef. U will lose bodyfat quick
a banana has more sugar than strawberries

murk01

murk01

Awards
Tehran. I believe it. I was just using examples. I don't really think fruits in general are a real concern. Its more the other artificial BS in pole diets.

w4rf4r3

Awards
I'd like to take this a step further to help you, OP. Could you give us an idea of what you eat on a daily basis?

For the record, I advocate the use of a Keto protocol, in your case, you may benefit from setting yourself at a limit of 30-50g of carbs for a few days to see how you respond. When abiding to this limit, don't count carbs from from cruciferous and leafy green vegetables. It will drive you mad with the tedium, and their effects on GI are virtually nil.

If you attempt this, be sure to keep your protein @ .8-1.2g/lb, and don't fear the healthy fats, they will only keep you feeling satiated and allow for more overall fat loss.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I was thinking of doing something like 100-150 grams of carbs during the week and during the weekend eat as much junk as I want 0_0. Really I never have counted calories before I just ate when I was hunger. I have counted protein though. With my sleep pattern being so out of wack though, it's much easier to eat 2-3 big meals as opposed to 6 medium size meals.