Post wokout sugar sources

  1. New Member
    buckeyeguy86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    57
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    23.22%

    Post wokout sugar sources


    Guys, I've been drinking my own extra sugary batch of kool aid post workout along with my protein shake. I'd say im getting 60 grams of sugar and 50 grams protein. Think that's good post workout nutrition even if I'm trying to gain muscle and lean out all at once? Also, what do you eat/drink for sugar after your workouts?

  2. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Cookie crisp cereal.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. New Member
    buckeyeguy86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    57
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    23.22%

    That sounds amazing! Haha
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46441
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    81.72%

    I use Gatorade and mix it with my whey protein
  5. Senior Member
    AntM1564's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,858
    Rep Power
    1551152
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    16.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Who says you need sugar? Just eat what you enjoy. If you want sugar, go for something you enjoy.

    Personally, I just have a scoop of iso-ology with a little unsweetened cocoa powder in the locker room and eat a whole meal 45-60 minutes after that.
  6. New Member
    EArch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    819
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

    I used to use bulk dextrose 80 or so grams post workout with my whey but now just use whey and notice no real difference.
  7. New Member
    tubbednova's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    481
    Rep Power
    518
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    93.44%

    I usally eat 3serv(25g cho each)for my post shake,i take a calcium citrate supp to digest fruit more to glucose then frutose,but any cho will actually work(wheat,rice,potatoes)i like the fruit they got vitamins(taste good)and are easy to take if i go to gym.
  8. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    141406
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    55.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntM1564
    Who says you need sugar? Just eat what you enjoy. If you want sugar, go for something you enjoy.

    Personally, I just have a scoop of iso-ology with a little unsweetened cocoa powder in the locker room and eat a whole meal 45-60 minutes after that.
    Not necessarily suger but yur body needs sugar to restore glycogen stores because they are depleted after a tough workout. So carbs which break down into sugars work. I pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich for post workout with a scoop of whey
  9. New Member
    EArch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    469
    Rep Power
    819
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    77.58%

    Quote Originally Posted by machorox123

    Not necessarily suger but yur body needs sugar to restore glycogen stores because they are depleted after a tough workout. So carbs which break down into sugars work. I pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich for post workout with a scoop of whey
    While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,248
    Rep Power
    963217
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    38.74%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EArch View Post
    While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.
    Winner. Unless you are fasted and training for 2-3 hours at a time, your glycogen levels will not be severely depleted.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Professional Member
    gymrat827's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,661
    Rep Power
    10111
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    70.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    20g dextrose, 20g wazy maize, 8oz milk so + 12g natty sugar. 35g whey iso. done deal.
  12. New Member
    tubbednova's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    481
    Rep Power
    518
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    93.44%

    I say just try different things and go by feeling/leanness/ect i do complex training(main lift/2-4complexes)which takes me over 2hrs at times with a constint high heart rate (no/little rest between exercises)so fruit is a better option "for me"most lifting sessions only burn around 400cals while mine are from 800-1100 what works for someone doesnt always work for another.
    Dextrose/maltidextin so on doesnt work for me and if it doesnt have nutritional value(vits)i dont want it.
  13. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778049
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    Not necessarily suger but yur body needs sugar to restore glycogen stores because they are depleted after a tough workout. So carbs which break down into sugars work. I pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich for post workout with a scoop of whey
    a) your body has around 2000 calories (average person) in glycogen reserves, even a heavy 1.5 hour workout maybe burns 700-800 of that
    b) your glycogen stores will refill regardless of when you eat carbs, and even if you don't eat carbs they will to some extent from glucuneogenesis

    The only real exception is if you are something like a college athlete, particularly in something high endurance like rowing, and have an early in the day either workout or practice session, then laster in the same day have whichever you didn't have in the morning. Then taking in a gob of sugar postworkout helps make sure you have good glycogen reserves for the activity later the same day.

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeguy86 View Post
    Guys, I've been drinking my own extra sugary batch of kool aid post workout along with my protein shake. I'd say im getting 60 grams of sugar and 50 grams protein. Think that's good post workout nutrition even if I'm trying to gain muscle and lean out all at once? Also, what do you eat/drink for sugar after your workouts?
    If you are trying to lean out, spiking insulin high isn't ever a good idea.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  14. Senior Member
    AntM1564's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,858
    Rep Power
    1551152
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    16.23%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    If you are trying to lean out, spiking insulin high isn't ever a good idea.
    This exactly. It helped me tremendously while dieting. Now while trying to put on lean mass I still try to keep my insulin levels under control.
  15. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    141406
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    55.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EArch

    While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.
    Well do a couple drop sets on almost everything so like on a leg day I feel it helps get my legs back under me a lil sooner and yu can never go wrong with a peanut butter sandwich lol
  16. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258613
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    9.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    I use Gatorade and mix it with my whey protein
    How is the taste on this one?
  17. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46441
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    81.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1
    How is the taste on this one?
    Very good. I am drinking it as I type because I just finished my Arm workout. 2 scoops chocolate whey w/ 20-25oz Gatorade (red).. Tastes like chocolate strawberry. But I use any flavor Gatorade now cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. Give it a try I guarantee you will like it. Just don't mix it w/ some cookie and cream whey that's gross. try these other flavors too...

    Vanilla whey and orange Gatorade = orange cream

    Strawberry whey and red Gatorade = just really good lol
  18. New Member
    Iron_Will's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    21
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    236
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    73.49%

    I usually just get an apple in.
  19. New Member
    Iron_Will's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    21
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    236
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    73.49%

    Quote Originally Posted by VS91588 View Post
    Very good. I am drinking it as I type because I just finished my Arm workout. 2 scoops chocolate whey w/ 20-25oz Gatorade (red).. Tastes like chocolate strawberry. But I use any flavor Gatorade now cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. Give it a try I guarantee you will like it. Just don't mix it w/ some cookie and cream whey that's gross. try these other flavors too...

    Vanilla whey and orange Gatorade = orange cream

    Strawberry whey and red Gatorade = just really good lol
    Gatorade is quite a bit of money for every post workout.. depending on how much you lift...
  20. Advanced Member
    VS91588's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    46441
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    81.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Will
    Gatorade is quite a bit of money for every post workout.. depending on how much you lift...
    I lift 5 days a week and gatorade is not expensive if you know how to shop. I buy in bulk I have cases of them. Gatorade so uses dextrose sugar
  21. New Member
    tubbednova's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    481
    Rep Power
    518
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    93.44%

    Dont know if anyone else has ever had one but i went to golds gym today for my first deload w/o and didn't want to pack my homemade shake.
    So i got a smoothie from them(all that razz it was called)it had the same macros (5g less protein)but got super fatigued after about 2hrs.


    Atleast it tasted really good i guess,no more of those tasty/fatigue indosing things!
  22. New Member
    SpongeTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    92
    Rep Power
    3025
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    3.74%

    Quote Originally Posted by EArch View Post
    While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.
    Interesting thought! Thanks mate!
  23. Senior Member
    machorox123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,488
    Rep Power
    141406
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    55.47%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    a) your body has around 2000 calories (average person) in glycogen reserves, even a heavy 1.5 hour workout maybe burns 700-800 of that
    b) your glycogen stores will refill regardless of when you eat carbs, and even if you don't eat carbs they will to some extent from glucuneogenesis

    The only real exception is if you are something like a college athlete, particularly in something high endurance like rowing, and have an early in the day either workout or practice session, then laster in the same day have whichever you didn't have in the morning. Then taking in a gob of sugar postworkout helps make sure you have good glycogen reserves for the activity later the same day.
    thats interesting althogh i am a wrestler so..between lifts running and practice i definitely burn over 1500 cals easy
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. DON'T POST SOURCES; Just a Question?
    By daveydoodle in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
  2. More reasons NOT to post sources of any kind
    By dumbhick3 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM
  3. Post your Scientific Journal SOURCES here!
    By papapumpsd in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
  4. I should not post sources...
    By dave_ftp in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM
  5. Post workout, low-GI carb sources?
    By Alt+F4 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in