Post wokout sugar sources

buckeyeguy86

buckeyeguy86

Awards
Guys, I've been drinking my own extra sugary batch of kool aid post workout along with my protein shake. I'd say im getting 60 grams of sugar and 50 grams protein. Think that's good post workout nutrition even if I'm trying to gain muscle and lean out all at once? Also, what do you eat/drink for sugar after your workouts?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cookie crisp cereal.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I use Gatorade and mix it with my whey protein

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Who says you need sugar? Just eat what you enjoy. If you want sugar, go for something you enjoy.

Personally, I just have a scoop of iso-ology with a little unsweetened cocoa powder in the locker room and eat a whole meal 45-60 minutes after that.

EArch

Awards
  • Established
I used to use bulk dextrose 80 or so grams post workout with my whey but now just use whey and notice no real difference.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I usally eat 3serv(25g cho each)for my post shake,i take a calcium citrate supp to digest fruit more to glucose then frutose,but any cho will actually work(wheat,rice,potatoes)i like the fruit they got vitamins(taste good)and are easy to take if i go to gym.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Who says you need sugar? Just eat what you enjoy. If you want sugar, go for something you enjoy.

Personally, I just have a scoop of iso-ology with a little unsweetened cocoa powder in the locker room and eat a whole meal 45-60 minutes after that.
Not necessarily suger but yur body needs sugar to restore glycogen stores because they are depleted after a tough workout. So carbs which break down into sugars work. I pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich for post workout with a scoop of whey

EArch

Awards
  • Established
Not necessarily suger but yur body needs sugar to restore glycogen stores because they are depleted after a tough workout. So carbs which break down into sugars work. I pack a peanut butter and honey sandwich for post workout with a scoop of whey
While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While I am not against post workout sugar, I don't think most peoples glycogen stores will depleted after a typical workout, I think its possible and they are surely reduced, but think it has been overplayed in the supplement and bb communities.
Winner. Unless you are fasted and training for 2-3 hours at a time, your glycogen levels will not be severely depleted.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
20g dextrose, 20g wazy maize, 8oz milk so + 12g natty sugar. 35g whey iso. done deal.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I say just try different things and go by feeling/leanness/ect i do complex training(main lift/2-4complexes)which takes me over 2hrs at times with a constint high heart rate (no/little rest between exercises)so fruit is a better option "for me"most lifting sessions only burn around 400cals while mine are from 800-1100 what works for someone doesnt always work for another.
Dextrose/maltidextin so on doesnt work for me and if it doesnt have nutritional value(vits)i dont want it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
a) your body has around 2000 calories (average person) in glycogen reserves, even a heavy 1.5 hour workout maybe burns 700-800 of that
b) your glycogen stores will refill regardless of when you eat carbs, and even if you don't eat carbs they will to some extent from glucuneogenesis

The only real exception is if you are something like a college athlete, particularly in something high endurance like rowing, and have an early in the day either workout or practice session, then laster in the same day have whichever you didn't have in the morning. Then taking in a gob of sugar postworkout helps make sure you have good glycogen reserves for the activity later the same day.

Guys, I've been drinking my own extra sugary batch of kool aid post workout along with my protein shake. I'd say im getting 60 grams of sugar and 50 grams protein. Think that's good post workout nutrition even if I'm trying to gain muscle and lean out all at once? Also, what do you eat/drink for sugar after your workouts?
If you are trying to lean out, spiking insulin high isn't ever a good idea.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you are trying to lean out, spiking insulin high isn't ever a good idea.
This exactly. It helped me tremendously while dieting. Now while trying to put on lean mass I still try to keep my insulin levels under control.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Well do a couple drop sets on almost everything so like on a leg day I feel it helps get my legs back under me a lil sooner and yu can never go wrong with a peanut butter sandwich lol

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
How is the taste on this one?
Very good. I am drinking it as I type because I just finished my Arm workout. 2 scoops chocolate whey w/ 20-25oz Gatorade (red).. Tastes like chocolate strawberry. But I use any flavor Gatorade now cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. Give it a try I guarantee you will like it. Just don't mix it w/ some cookie and cream whey that's gross. try these other flavors too...

Vanilla whey and orange Gatorade = orange cream

Strawberry whey and red Gatorade = just really good lol

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
I usually just get an apple in.

Iron_Will

Iron_Will

Awards
Very good. I am drinking it as I type because I just finished my Arm workout. 2 scoops chocolate whey w/ 20-25oz Gatorade (red).. Tastes like chocolate strawberry. But I use any flavor Gatorade now cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. Give it a try I guarantee you will like it. Just don't mix it w/ some cookie and cream whey that's gross. try these other flavors too...

Vanilla whey and orange Gatorade = orange cream

Strawberry whey and red Gatorade = just really good lol
Gatorade is quite a bit of money for every post workout.. depending on how much you lift...

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Gatorade is quite a bit of money for every post workout.. depending on how much you lift...
I lift 5 days a week and gatorade is not expensive if you know how to shop. I buy in bulk I have cases of them. Gatorade so uses dextrose sugar

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Dont know if anyone else has ever had one but i went to golds gym today for my first deload w/o and didn't want to pack my homemade shake.
So i got a smoothie from them(all that razz it was called)it had the same macros (5g less protein)but got super fatigued after about 2hrs.

Atleast it tasted really good i guess,no more of those tasty/fatigue indosing things!

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Interesting thought! Thanks mate!

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
a) your body has around 2000 calories (average person) in glycogen reserves, even a heavy 1.5 hour workout maybe burns 700-800 of that
b) your glycogen stores will refill regardless of when you eat carbs, and even if you don't eat carbs they will to some extent from glucuneogenesis

The only real exception is if you are something like a college athlete, particularly in something high endurance like rowing, and have an early in the day either workout or practice session, then laster in the same day have whichever you didn't have in the morning. Then taking in a gob of sugar postworkout helps make sure you have good glycogen reserves for the activity later the same day.
thats interesting althogh i am a wrestler so..between lifts running and practice i definitely burn over 1500 cals easy