Eat Junk, Still Make Gains?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I know a guy who eats junk, eating out at mcdonalds, chick Fil a, & so on. Has a good amount of muscle and not a lot of fat.
He says he just tracks his macros and works out hard.

I don't get how that works for him, is it genetics?
Is it really him watching his macros? (it may not be healthy food but it works)

Anyone have any ideas?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is known as the "as long as it fits my macros" strategy.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
It is known as the "as long as it fits my macros" strategy.
And it works?
lol, it's just unhealthy?
That takes into account if they fry it into grease?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know a guy who eats junk, eating out at mcdonalds, chick Fil a, & so on. Has a good amount of muscle and not a lot of fat.
He says he just tracks his macros and works out hard.

I don't get how that works for him, is it genetics?
Is it really him watching his macros? (it may not be healthy food but it works)

Anyone have any ideas?
Could be that he eats just right for him - it's not so much about macros than it is about calories, timing of caloric consumption, personal characteristics re nutrition, etc.; and whilst genetics may play some role, it's also about training the body, etc. After all, there ARE anomalies to the "nutrition is the key to achieving your body goals" rule - I of all people personally know that; I eat what I want when I want (what most others call "cheating" and "junk") and it's my TRAINING that determines my physical results, not my nutrition. That said, what I do works for me and I don't recommend it to others, and chances are, he's likely very much the same. Also note, that just because one eats at fast food places, doesn't mean that everything they eat is Unhealthy, since many places have "healthier" options now. Regardless of what he does, you should be more concerned with yourself and finding what works specifically for YOU re YOUR goals and needs.

~Rosie~

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
U get away with that Rosie?
:thumbsup:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
U get away with that Rosie?
:thumbsup:
I do, LOL (and those who know me and have lived with me will give an emphatic nod as they shake their head) :D Like I said, it depends on the individual and a variety of personal and non-personal factors.

~Rosie~

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll be honest, I eat like CRAP some days, I'm talking fast food 3 times, large pops, chocolate, etc etc, and drink in excess once a week (lately) and if you have been following my progress you will see I have been making very quality gains still.
I usually do end up eating fast food 5 days a week though lol...
Say I end up getting a Tendercrisp with fries and a root beer, I try to "make up" for it by eating a very clean meal or two later, usually little to no carbs.
And that Slin Sane helps a bundle ;)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll be honest, I eat like CRAP some days, I'm talking fast food 3 times, large pops, chocolate, etc etc, and drink in excess once a week (lately) and if you have been following my progress you will see I have been making very quality gains still.
I usually do end up eating fast food 5 days a week though lol...
Say I end up getting a Tendercrisp with fries and a root beer, I try to "make up" for it by eating a very clean meal or two later, usually little to no carbs.
And that Slin Sane helps a bundle ;)
U joking or are u serious?
Guess some ppl are lucky :)

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
U joking or are u serious?
Guess some ppl are lucky :)
Serious as can be lol. On the way to papa john's to pick up my pizza and coke right now lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I eat at chickfila around 2 times a week, and eat a lot of stuff most say is dirty too. I dont do bk or mcds bc it makes me feel bad. But im still making quality gains with about no fat gain. Just hit 315 bench and 500 dead last week.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I eat at chickfila around 2 times a week, and eat a lot of stuff most say is dirty too. I dont do bk or mcds bc it makes me feel bad. But im still making quality gains with about no fat gain. Just hit 315 bench and 500 dead last week.
Lol...

What are guys eating?

It has to be in the way the training is then.

Do you guys count macros or track calories?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Chickfila, natures table, protein bars, coconut milk ice cream, baked lays, homemade and store bought french fries, sonns bbq, five guys, homemade pizza. Stuff like that. I kinda count macros but my cals normally fall around 4000. over 250g protein, over 300g carbs, and over 150g fats. I havent strictly counted for awhile but im eating more then the macros I listed when I do a quick mental check. And i train WSC.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The "BB'ng" mentality leads people to think that you cannot make quality gains in strength or mass without adhering to a certain group of foods PLers will tell you the exact opposite and that you need to throw in a high amount of non-clean foods to makes those gains. In the end, performance nutrition depends on the goal of the athlete and whether or not health is the number one priority.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
The "BB'ng" mentality leads people to think that you cannot make quality gains in strength or mass without adhering to a certain group of foods PLers will tell you the exact opposite and that you need to throw in a high amount of non-clean foods to makes those gains. In the end, performance nutrition depends on the goal of the athlete and whether or not health is the number one priority.
So what do you eat?
:)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Chickfila, natures table, protein bars, coconut milk ice cream, baked lays, homemade and store bought french fries, sonns bbq, five guys, homemade pizza. Stuff like that. I kinda count macros but my cals normally fall around 4000. over 250g protein, over 300g carbs, and over 150g fats. I havent strictly counted for awhile but im eating more then the macros I listed when I do a quick mental check. And i train WSC.
Lucky mofo.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think everyone has a genetic set point that usually can only be over come with gear. Well as far as when you are trying to bulk. Like how most natural bodybuilders look kinda fat in the off season, they don't do that because they are careless. I think it's more that they have to. Their body isn't comfortable in building mass without building some fat. Layne Norton had commented on this as well as he gets kinda pudgy in the off season.
As far as eating anything. The body will be able yo handle a certain amount of food before turning it into fat, the body will also has a set amount of recovery ability in it as well. But as far as eating "junk" if it doesn't make you feel like crap, and you are making progress in the gym just go ahead and eat it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think everyone has a genetic set point that usually can only be over come with gear. Well as far as when you are trying to bulk. Like how most natural bodybuilders look kinda fat in the off season, they don't do that because they are careless. I think it's more that they have to. Their body isn't comfortable in building mass without building some fat. Layne Norton had commented on this as well as he gets kinda pudgy in the off season.
As far as eating anything. The body will be able yo handle a certain amount of food before turning it into fat, the body will also has a set amount of recovery ability in it as well. But as far as eating "junk" if it doesn't make you feel like crap, and you are making progress in the gym just go ahead and eat it.
I'd love to eat fries and burgers and food from chick Fil a and make gains :)

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I do this........ALL THE TIME lol......so long as i get my XXX amount of protein? and XXX amount of carbs and fat? and XXXX amount of cals? does it really matter what the carbs or fat are? other than eating too much trans fat/saturated fat....not good, but hey most fast food places use healthier fats nowadays anyways surprisingly enough. when you are eating 20-30% each of fat/carb ....and 40-50% protein....the types of carbs matter less and less the fewer carbs you take in. so if you do 25/25/50 F-C-P....or 30/30/40.... I find you can (or MOST can) get away with poorer carb choices and to a lesser extent poorer fat choices. I also take 5-10 fish oil caps a night as well to supplement in good fats. Today I ate a wendy's double cheeseburger, and beef lo mein (6 oz flank steak and about 13 oz cooked noodles...I make sure its cooked this way), in addition i took in 25 grams glutamine and 35 or so grams of BCAA PWO then 50 grams of whey isolate half hour later. inbetween eating I drank 50 grams of egg/complex protein mix twice. I hit my protein intake and kept my cals around 2800 give or take. probably a 20/30/50 day F-C-P. If I am home on days off I try and do better of course.....this is something I might do on a WO day when I go to work after the WO......Everything I just said equaled 2550 cals and 57 fat, 155 carbs, 320 protein. I need to get another 30-40 grams of protein in there sometime tonight which would bring me around 2700 cals (or more if I eat fat with the protein, chicken or eggs etc)....I strongly believe in this, but if you tell people about this? some of these guys who only eat the healthiest of foods will have a coronary on you. I suggest you try it out for yourself...and don't half-ass it and not count your cals/protein....and remember to keep the protein very high to force you not to eat too many bad carbs or fats....

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So u do eat clean.
Yea when when no one will eat **** with me haha, but its also cheaper to eat clean to me so sometimes I do it bc food is expensive man. Not bc it impacts me results differently. Also I care about my health so I clean it up here and there. It just varies.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah Bird, you're keeping protein high.
I've been trying the 45/35/20 & 40/30/30 C-P-F

Protein I slack a bit I'm 186-188 now & I got about 167g of protein in.
myself in fit day I was 47% carbs, 25% fats, 27% protein... smh.
284g carbs
69g fats
167g protein

We all know u can make gains, but what about keeping fat off?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont gain anymore fat either way, but I dont gain much fat bc of my training and conditioning. So my required cal intake is high, plus im not huge on carbs so 300 or so dont hurt me regardless of source.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Yeah Bird, you're keeping protein high.
I've been trying the 45/35/20 & 40/30/30 C-P-F

Protein I slack a bit I'm 186-188 now & I got about 167g of protein in.

We all know u can make gains, but what about keeping fat off?
protein needs to be at least 40 preferably 50 % for this to work optimally for ME....for you? who knows....but we weigh about the same, I usually take in 240-260 grams of protein a day....but with the PH's now I try to take in 340-360. its HARD...even with protein shakes. this way, you keep off the fat gains. If you eat a lot of non-healthy options....AND you have your carbs high especially....i think you might put on some fat. and lets be real, not all of this is "junk food", a double CB at wendy's does have 50 grams of protein....not like eating fries or a frosty and getting 500-700 cals and virtually no protein lol. sure there is a lot of fat in the burger as well (and the white bread bun)....but I look at the best bang for the calories vs protein. protein must be high, then its not "junk" to me.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
protein needs to be at least 40 preferably 50 % for this to work optimally for ME....for you? who knows....but we weigh about the same, I usually take in 240-260 grams of protein a day....but with the PH's now I try to take in 340-360. its HARD...even with protein shakes. this way, you keep off the fat gains. If you eat a lot of non-healthy options....AND you have your carbs high especially....i think you might put on some fat. and lets be real, not all of this is "junk food", a double CB at wendy's does have 50 grams of protein....not like eating fries or a frosty and getting 500-700 cals and virtually no protein lol. sure there is a lot of fat in the burger as well (and the white bread bun)....but I look at the best bang for the calories vs protein. protein must be high, then its not "junk" to me.
That's an absorb amount of protein. U have to be pooting a lot.

Either way I think I will try and stick with the 40/30/30. They say that's the optiomal ratio to burn fat and make muscle gains (even 45/35/20 C-P-F). I think the 40/30/30 zone diet is a bit easier... My problem I'm heavy on the carbs....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
My theory with the protein is your body can only absorb roughly 30gs at a time, fine they have casin...
But u only enough protein for lean body mass...
Unless your point was consuming it that high to burn fat, Bird....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
That's an absorb amount of protein. U have to be pooting a lot.

Either way I think I will try and stick with the 40/30/30. They say that's the optiomal ratio to burn fat and make muscle gains (even 45/35/20 C-P-F). I think the 40/30/30 zone diet is a bit easier... My problem I'm heavy on the carbs....
yes, i was doing the 40-30-30 for a long while previous to bumping up just recently to 50% protein. it works great, that is where I was talking about taking in 240-250 grams of protein...i think that is right around 40% for us....also, the isocaloric works well too....1/3 of your calories from each....I've always had success with that......

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
My theory with the protein is your body can only absorb roughly 30gs at a time, fine they have casin...
But u only enough protein for lean body mass...
Unless your point was consuming it that high to burn fat, Bird....
I don't subscribe to that "30 grams at a time" stuff.....whether its fact or not? I don't know....but I always shoot for 50 grams at a time....if I have to I go even higher towards 60 or 70. not very often, I try to keep it as close to 50 at a time.....but sometimes you gotta cram some protein in....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
yes, i was doing the 40-30-30 for a long while previous to bumping up just recently to 50% protein. it works great, that is where I was talking about taking in 240-250 grams of protein...i think that is right around 40% for us....also, the isocaloric works well too....1/3 of your calories from each....I've always had success with that......
The 1/3 rule seems close to the 40/30/30...

33% of each it's upping the fats and protein and dropping the carbs a bit, I could see that working....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
i do buy a lot of gas-x LOL....to make sure I am covered in that regard :) tums as well.....helps with stomach acid and is a calcium supplement that tastes pretty good in fruit flavor. make sure to keep an eye on how many tums you take while on keto diets though....few grams of carbs in there lol....

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
The 1/3 rule seems close to the 40/30/30...

33% of each it's upping the fats and protein and dropping the carbs a bit, I could see that working....
essentially they are the same damn thing lol. its like nitpicking trying to figure out which one you used that particular day. the 40% works in more protein....so I agree I like that one better. for fat loss, maybe the iso works better....but for lifting I prefer 40-30-30 yeah.....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
i do buy a lot of gas-x LOL....to make sure I am covered in that regard :) tums as well.....helps with stomach acid and is a calcium supplement that tastes pretty good in fruit flavor. make sure to keep an eye on how many tums you take while on keto diets though....few grams of carbs in there lol....
Never see me do a keto diet... Maybe low carb, maybe moderate carb... But keto that can't taste good at all... All I think
Of off keto is advacados and chicken....

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd love to eat fries and burgers and food from chick Fil a and make gains :)
I havent had a hamburger in years, fries...? Haha. I have been dieting for years. Only now Im coming off as I have decided to make 2012 a year of building my body up. Not meaning Im going to go and eat everything. Im just not going to be as restrictive. I am not ending my no gluten rule (as that is genetic), but I am going to incorporate more of a building strategy in my goals specially when I come off into PCT.

BTW, PL'rs will eat that, and then wash it down with a shake of each flavor and say their gains are awesome lol.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
essentially they are the same damn thing lol. its like nitpicking trying to figure out which one you used that particular day. the 40% works in more protein....so I agree I like that one better. for fat loss, maybe the iso works better....but for lifting I prefer 40-30-30 yeah.....
A good amount agree on that 40/30/30.
The science behind it is keeping everything balanced and you're not getting "too much" so to speak of 1 thing.

Like I said I heard the variation of 45-35-20 works as well.... But as I said 40-30-30 is easier.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I havent had a hamburger in years, fries...? Haha. I have been dieting for years. Only now Im coming off as I have decided to make 2012 a year of building my body up. Not meaning Im going to go and eat everything. Im just not going to be as restrictive. I am not ending my no gluten rule (as that is genetic), but I am going to incorporate more of a building strategy in my goals specially when I come off into PCT.

BTW, PL'rs will eat that, and then wash it down with a shake of each flavor and say their gains are awesome lol.
I can't stop eating burgers a few times per week.....but I never never eat the fries or soda or shakes or any of that crap. occasionally I eat me a double QPC with a 10 piece nuggets lol....hey they are the two highest protein sources at that place....but only once a month or two on that....usually a wendy's double....those are so good....

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards

They are making strength gains... lol...

Screw the gains for right now, training will bring that... But what about overall body composition?

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Never see me do a keto diet... Maybe low carb, maybe moderate carb... But keto that can't taste good at all... All I think
Of off keto is advacados and chicken....
keto sucks for me due to the hidden carbs in protein powders and even crap like tums and EVERYWHERE...they add up so quick and BAM you're at the 30 gram mark. I love eating eggs, sausage, bacon, chicken, beef, all that stuff.....but you have to wait for the weekend to eat any sort of carbs...and that sucks....by sunday you are sick of carbs anyways after pigging out saturday and bloating the shyt out of yourself lol....I prefer the low carb/cycle the carbs approach if anything.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I can't stop eating burgers a few times per week.....but I never never eat the fries or soda or shakes or any of that crap. occasionally I eat me a double QPC with a 10 piece nuggets lol....hey they are the two highest protein sources at that place....but only once a month or two on that....usually a wendy's double....those are so good....

lmao, :thumbsup: I can dig it...
I like Chik Fil A...
Bottle water, chicken sandwich, sweet BBQ squads and some fries (go large on dem deer fries?) :)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
lmao, :thumbsup: I can dig it...
I like Chik Fil A...
Bottle water, chicken sandwich, sweet BBQ squads and some fries (go large on dem deer fries?) :)
chik-fil-a is my favorite of all time....even as a little kid we'd go to the mall and eat there....still to this day I love it....i usually get the original chicken sandwich and a box of nuggets....again high protein choices....the one by my house is in this HUGE mall so you have to park and go inside the food court...not my thing....and the drive-thru is about 20 minutes drive one way for me, and whats worse is that at the drive-thru place it never tastes right. they are newly opened and seem to fuq up the food if that is possible. but they do it...... the mall always got it right...

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your over thinking this, just eat and see what works for you. Also the 30g at a time rule is broscience man. Your body will absorb whatever you put into it. Will anything more then 1g per lb of bodyweight do much for you gains? No body knows but I love meat so I eat as much as I want. Ive still gained 30lbs in about 10-11 monthes with about no fat gain.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
chik-fil-a is my favorite of all time....even as a little kid we'd go to the mall and eat there....still to this day I love it....i usually get the original chicken sandwich and a box of nuggets....again high protein choices....the one by my house is in this HUGE mall so you have to park and go inside the food court...not my thing....and the drive-thru is about 20 minutes drive one way for me, and whats worse is that at the drive-thru place it never tastes right. they are newly opened and seem to fuq up the food if that is possible. but they do it...... the mall always got it right...
I normally get 2 grilled chicken clubs, 70g protein, 70g carbs 8-9g fiber i believe, and about 30g fats. Hellll yeaaaaa

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what do you eat?
:)
Depends on my goals at the time. When I am really seeking gains in strength, I eat whatever I desire at that time, but keep it clean ~80% of the time. When I'm focusing on conditioning and taking off some fat, I eat 100% Primal. Today falls into that category and I ate:

Meal 1:
10 oz chicken
12 oz red potatoes
Spinach salad

Train
Pre-WO:
10g BCAA, 3.2g BA
Intra:
15g MAP, 1.6g BA
Banana

Meal 2:
8 oz Salmon
Roma Tomato
Bacon
Spinach

Meal 3:
10 oz chicken
Spinach

That's it so far and have another meal or two to go.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Depends on my goals at the time. When I am really seeking gains in strength, I eat whatever I desire at that time, but keep it clean ~80% of the time. When I'm focusing on conditioning and taking off some fat, I eat 100% Primal. Today falls into that category and I ate:

Meal 1:
10 oz chicken
12 oz red potatoes
Spinach salad

Train
Pre-WO:
10g BCAA, 3.2g BA
Intra:
15g MAP, 1.6g BA
Banana

Meal 2:
8 oz Salmon
Roma Tomato
Bacon
Spinach

Meal 3:
10 oz chicken
Spinach

That's it so far and have another meal or two to go.
you must not have to work, and have time to cook and eat all day. Or maybe you work for food network? in that case you'd be at work and be cooking all day at the same time. If so say hi to giada and rachael for me, I watch them and never even know WTF they cooked that show.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thats how I eat when I eat clean too^

except a lot more taters haha. I havent tried cut tho in over a year.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you must not have to work, and have time to cook and eat all day. Or maybe you work for food network? in that case you'd be at work and be cooking all day at the same time. If so say hi to giada and rachael for me, I watch them and never even know WTF they cooked that show.
Maybe your just lazy and dont know how to cook in bulk?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or it's a Sunday and I'm off. Regardless, I eat like this pretty much year-round and cooking daily is something I've done for a decade.

Thats how I eat when I eat clean too^

except a lot more taters haha. I havent tried cut tho in over a year.
I ate a lot of crap yesterday and had plenty in the glycogen stores.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Or it's a Sunday and I'm off. Regardless, I eat like this pretty much year-round and cooking daily is something I've done for a decade.

I ate a lot of crap yesterday and had plenty in the glycogen stores.
yeah I'm off sunday and monday.....and saturday too if there is college football and/or I am taking classes....So I tend to be able to cook those days....I CAN cook.....but man I hate it.....