Snacks

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Looking for a whole food snack other than nuts/seeds. Not into shakes due to insulin response.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
greek yogurt
Gives me bloating... I am a paleo advocate and trying to minimize fructose due to it's transportation to the liver.
So a nut/dairy/ fruit free snack lol

randysavage

randysavage

Awards
  • Established
i dont know then, snacks are when i eat nuts fruit and dairy

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
My wife makes these little turkey balls that have a few veggies and seasoning in them. They're delicious.

Itsmeshelly1

Awards
zucchini slices!!! Perfect snack food. I eat one everyday at work. Nice crunch and taste.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
My wife makes these little turkey balls that have a few veggies and seasoning in them. They're delicious.
Sounds bloody good man

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not into shakes due to insulin response.
que?

Just about all foods are going to illicit an insulin release. Insulin isn't some big bad monster that you need to avoid, just learn to control.

Can you post or PM me a recipe please? Last time I Friedel make eatballs myself they didn't come out too good :(

zucchini slices!!! Perfect snack food. I eat one everyday at work. Nice crunch and taste.
I used to slice them up, drizzle EVCO and spilled some salt, cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes and bake em. A nice replacement for fries

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Looking for a whole food snack other than nuts/seeds. Not into shakes due to insulin response.
your seriously worried about insulin responce from a whey shake?

please.

first of all not only carbs stimulate insulin but fat does too via GIP... Protein would be the best to have. inbetween.

if your really that worried just have some leucine inbetween meals. but you think insulinogenic... yea it is but only in presence of glucose.

snacks are for children.

eat meals.2-3 of them a day. if you need a snack in between your not eating enoough

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
first of all not only carbs stimulate insulin but fat does too via GIP...
Please elaborate on how fat stimulates a insulin response?

From what I seen it either has no effect on insulin or slows & delays the response but it doesn't have any real direct effect on insulin.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
What else is there? Low sodium beef jerky?
this was going to be my suggestion... I love me some jerky.

the only other alternative would be some cheap but effective protein bars.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Ok so my wife got the recipe from Jamie Eason, didn't wanna steal credit. Here it is so everybody can see it.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
  3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
  4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.Makes 12 muffins.

Serving Size:
    Women: 2 muffins
    Men: 4 muffins

Calories:
    Fats: 2 grams
    Carbs: 4 grams
    Protein: 11 grams

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Ok so my wife got the recipe from Jamie Eason, didn't wanna steal credit. Here it is so everybody can see it.

Ingredients:

[*]2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
[*]3 egg whites
[*]1 cup quick cooking oats
[*]1/2 tsp ground cumin
[*]1/2 tsp dried thyme
[*]2 tsp dry yellow mustard
[*]2 tsp black pepper
[*]2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
[*]1 tsp salt
[*]2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
[*]1 small onion (finely chopped)
[*]2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Directions:

[*]Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
[*]Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
[*]Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
[*]Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
[*]Bake for 40 minutes.Makes 12 muffins.

Serving Size:

Calories: 80
I follow paleo so no grains for me but would they hold if I didn't have oats in it?

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
your seriously worried about insulin responce from a whey shake?

snacks are for children.

eat meals.2-3 of them a day. if you need a snack in between your not eating enoough
This is a ridiculous response in my opinion. Snacks are for children? Seriously?

2-3 meals isn't good for cutting or bulking. If cutting, you should eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day to help speed up metabolism and if bulking, you should eat 5-6 meals a day to constantly keep fueling your muscles to fight catabolism. Some of those meals can be considered "snacks". It's not like we're talkin' about lunchables or something here.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Ingredients:

[*]2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
[*]3 egg whites
[*]1 cup quick cooking oats
[*]1/2 tsp ground cumin
[*]1/2 tsp dried thyme
[*]2 tsp dry yellow mustard
[*]2 tsp black pepper
[*]2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
[*]1 tsp salt
[*]2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
[*]1 small onion (finely chopped)
[*]2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Directions:

[*]Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
[*]Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
[*]Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
[*]Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
[*]Bake for 40 minutes.Makes 12 muffins.

Serving Size:

Calories: 80
I've never made it but I've watched the video a lot....

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
I follow paleo so no grains for me but would they hold if I didn't have oats in it?
Yeah it should be fine man, I'm pretty sure the egg is what holds it together. You can tweak the recipe to your liking. I personally hate onions and wouldn't mind making it extra spicy but she makes it so I let her do her thing lol.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've never made it but I've watched the video a lot....
Would Jaime be the reason for watching it lol...she is quiet attractive

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Yeah it should be fine man, I'm pretty sure the egg is what holds it together. You can tweak the recipe to your liking. I personally hate onions and wouldn't mind making it extra spicy but she makes it so I let her do her thing lol.
Nice!!!
Can use any lean meat mince like grass fed beef and kangaroo?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would Jaime be the reason for watching it lol...she is quiet attractive
You know it!
Haha. Yea I watch all her vids when I'm bored and on bb.com for motivational vids etc. Lol. She's hot. Just don't tell the wife.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
This is a ridiculous response in my opinion. Snacks are for children? Seriously?

2-3 meals isn't good for cutting or bulking. If cutting, you should eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day to help speed up metabolism and if bulking, you should eat 5-6 meals a day to constantly keep fueling your muscles to fight catabolism. Some of those meals can be considered "snacks". It's not like we're talkin' about lunchables or something here.
hmm... show me a study showing eating 5-6 meals a day fight catabolism, and show me a study saying it speeds metabolism.

short term overfeeding speeds metabolism..theres a study on that.

also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?

dont think so.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
hmm... show me a study showing eating 5-6 meals a day fight catabolism, and show me a study saying it speeds metabolism.

also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?

dont think so.
In a 16 hour day (8hr sleep) that would be 5-6 meals paco...

Do the math before you post this gibberish thinking your schooling someone, you just negated your own post.

Edit: there's tons of info showing multiple smaller meals increase metabolism and require less insulin secretion evening out bs levels.... Also if one is carb cycling or restricted in their diet this will actually help increase insulin sensitivity and give the pancreas a break....

Read up on the subject.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Do the math before you post this gibberish thinking your schooling someone, you just negated your own post.
I think you are misreading what he is saying, as that didn't negate his point at all..

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
I think you are misreading what he is saying, as that didn't negate his point at all..
Frank,

He said 2-3 meals....

Then he said every 2-3 hours (that's 5-6 meals in a normal day)...

I am posting from my phone so I might have mixed something up but isn't that negating oneself?

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established

dont think so.
You are the only person I've seen say that eating 2-3 meals a day is a good thing. Food is digested in about 2 hours so if you're bulking wouldn't you want to continuously have food in your body so it doesn't feed on your muscles for fuel. This is common knowledge, I'm not gonna waste my time finding an article about it.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Frank,

He said 2-3 meals....

Then he said every 2-3 hours (that's 5-6 meals in a normal day)...

I am posting from my phone so I might have mixed something up but isn't that negating oneself?
Please, read it YET AGAIN..

He is ASKING a loaded question:

"also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?"

To which in his opinion, the answer is NO.

He is making a point for LESS feedings, and NOT eating every 2-3 hrs.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Nice!!!
Can use any lean meat mince like grass fed beef and kangaroo?
Yeah, it'll throw off the macros a little bit but it's up to you. As long as it's still healthy and you enjoy it, then that's all that matters.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
Please, read it YET AGAIN.. He is ASKING a loaded question "also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?" to which his opinion, the answer is NO.

Understood, sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet sometimes, thank you for catching his witty response and bring it to my attention.

I still disagree with his sentiments and think rating more often has greater metabolic effects.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
Please, read it YET AGAIN.. He is ASKING a loaded question "also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?" to which his opinion, the answer is NO.

Understood, sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet sometimes, thank you for catching his witty response and bring it to my attention.

I still disagree with his sentiments and think eating more often has greater metabolic effects.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Please, read it YET AGAIN..

He is ASKING a loaded question:

"also u want to secrete insulin every 2-3 hours before your pancreas has time to replenish it and not have ot overwork to make it?"

To which in his opinion, the answer is NO.

A little bit of proper grammar on his part would have clarified things.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You are the only person I've seen say that eating 2-3 meals a day is a good thing. Food is digested in about 2 hours so if you're bulking wouldn't you want to continuously have food in your body so it doesn't feed on your muscles for fuel. This is common knowledge, I'm not gonna waste my time finding an article about it.
Really? There is a whole thread devoted to this, just a few below this one. The whole premise of IF is 2-3 meals a day. I think it is pretty effective, although on an all out bulk, I am still undecided.

I still disagree with his sentiments and think eating more often has greater metabolic effects.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I can say I am in my best shape, at my heaviest, eating like that, and I have dieted down, just about every way imaginable.

Sourdough

Sourdough

Awards
Thats awesome... but 9 out of 10 personal trainers, in the gym and across the web would surely disagree....

Its good it worked for you though...

Not every key unlocks every door...

Everyone is unique.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Everything everywhere says 5-6 meals daily at least......

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats awesome... but 9 out of 10 personal trainers, in the gym and across the web would surely disagree....

Everyone is unique.
Lol gym trainers..

I never said anything in regards to it being the only way. In fact your original statement sounded like you think 5-6 meals is the only way.

I am of the mindset "you don't know until you try it" I experiment a lot with nutrition, and an not so quick to write things off. I think this style of eating has merit for certain individuals.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Really? There is a whole thread devoted to this, just a few below this one. The whole premise of IF is 2-3 meals a day. I think it is pretty effective, although on an all out bulk, I am still undecided.
I didn't see that thread. I have heard of intermittent fasting, I have a good friend that does it. I didn't know that's what SS was talking about, if in fact that's what he was talking about. If it was what he was talking about then he should have stated it. Either way, I just don't like the idea of not putting fuel and nutrients in my body for a long while when I'm trying my hardest to build muscle.

I was more arguing against plain old eating 3 meals a day.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established

Edit: there's tons of info showing multiple smaller meals increase metabolism and require less insulin secretion evening out bs levels.... Also if one is carb cycling or restricted in their diet this will actually help increase insulin sensitivity and give the pancreas a break....

Read up on the subject.
info isnt studies,

your mis interpreting .......

eating is eating. theres always small amounts of insulin secretion via the GIP (Gastric inhibitory polypeptide). so, beta cells are still stimulated. Thus leptin is being stimulated, higher occurance for leptin/insulin resistance to occur. go back to school "PACO".

2-3 MEALS not eating every 2-3 hours.

you want you pancreas to "reload" as insulin is secreted in 2 bursts in every meal. burst 1 the stored "prepared" insulin burst 2 insulin that has to be made.

if you pancreas hasnt reloaded its forced to continuously make TOO much insulin.

hence the lows after a couple hours people get.

does it have to be intermittent fasting im talking about ... no.

Generally as long as calories get in for a bulk doesnt matter if its one meal or 10. however the LESS you have (especially while eating carbs) the better for your pancreas.

Diabolik

Diabolik

Awards
  • Established
Generally as long as calories get in for a bulk doesnt matter if its one meal or 10. however the LESS you have (especially while eating carbs) the better for your pancreas.
This makes no sense to me. Again, if you eat 2000-2500 cals in one sitting, it's going to be digested in a few hours and the body will feed on it's own stores for fuel until you put food back in your body. And the intensity of the workouts increases the body's demand for fuel.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
This makes no sense to me. Again, if you eat 2000-2500 cals in one sitting, it's going to be digested in a few hours and the body will feed on it's own stores for fuel until you put food back in your body. And the intensity of the workouts increases the body's demand for fuel.
its not all digested in a few hours protein takes extremely long to digest as does fat and carbs slowing down digestion even more.

8 oz chicken breast can take up to about 6 hrs to digest.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Via stimulation of Gastric inhibitory polypeptide...

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/66/2/323.short

at work sorry cant be more thrurough

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v8/n7/abs/nm727.html

Thank you

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
  3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
  4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.Makes 12 muffins.

Serving Size:

Calories:
Awesome thanks for this! Ima try it out sometime next week

Everyone is unique.
9 out of 10 personal trainers would also tell you dietary fat is bad for you.

Just because the majority of people say it, it doesn't make it right or even logical.