Page 8 of 104 First ... 367891013 ... Last
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

So quick question, should I be shooting for 20% above my BMR, or 20% above my maintenance calories (BMR + Exercise)?

Also, should that 20% be of my total (3500, so 700 calories above, total 3200 or 4200 for the day), or my BMR (2500, so 500 above, total 3000 or 4000 for the day) assuming 2500 calorie BMR + 1000 calorie exercise.

What should my total calories be for the day, I'm so confused!!!
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes

2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift to do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    I could do it in 1 hour
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    It hasn't been too much of a problem for me yet. I consume in excess of 1k-1500 for the first meal and last meal with a smaller 500 Cal or less meal in the middle
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.53%

3.3k cals in 8 hours is definitely doable buddy Enjoy. haha
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Easy and fun!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by raptor20561 View Post
    Amen! Now if only I can convince my family and girlfriend of the same thing...

Don't get me wrong though, I love candy. But that doesn't mean I have to eat it more than a once every few weeks (and usually when I'm blazed )
    Hopefully they'll be willing to listen to you long enough to move past their own preconceptions! Nearly everybody who asks me about the way I eat immediately dismisses fasting as unhealthy, harmful, and all other kinds of ridiklus nonsense.

Candy is ****ing delicious! In fact, I've eaten candy (not a lot, but ~75-100 calories worth) on almost every training day for the past several weeks and have consistently made quantifiable progress. How many fat loss diets allow for that kind of ****? Not very many.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    So quick question, should I be shooting for 20% above my BMR, or 20% above my maintenance calories (BMR + Exercise)?

Also, should that 20% be of my total (3500, so 700 calories above, total 3200 or 4200 for the day), or my BMR (2500, so 500 above, total 3000 or 4000 for the day) assuming 2500 calorie BMR + 1000 calorie exercise.

What should my total calories be for the day, I'm so confused!!!
    It's definitely 20% above your maintenance calories (i.e. the number of calories you need to consume in order to maintain your current composition based on calorie expenditure from BMR and activity level).

So, if your BMR is 2500 calories and your activity level requires another 1000 calories then your maintenance intake would be 3500 calories. From here you would calculate the +20%/-20%. Based on a 3500 maintenance intake, it would look like the first calculations you did (although -20% of 3500 is 2800, not 3200 yes?)

Work Days = 4200
    Rest Days = 2800

This gives you the extra calories to bulk on training days (lean gains) but the deficit to halt fat accumulation on rest days.

Hope this helps you sir!
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Well, looks like I'm taking a day off IF, going to Waffle House this morning with my wife.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Sik
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.31%

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    When you say you don't feel an insulin spike do you mean you don't get low blood sugar? I have never felt an insulin spike but I have felt the results of one whether that be mymuscle engorged with nutrients or low blood sugar. The low bloog sugar would come into play if coming from a fasted state abruptly into a fed state with the shot of carb then not supplying any further carbs for the body to continue to use from blood sugar. So I have to ask when you say you have those carbs pre and intra are you following training with a feeding or going right back into a fasted state as Milas is?

When you do the calisthenics in the morning do you also have pre and intra then and then fast until your pre workout meal or post workout meal depending on schedule?

Just trying to put all the peices together.

I sound stupid on what i said lol just understand after reading again.

I feel the "pump" that can be from carbs + aminos. But never felt hipoglicemic!

I drink the aminocarb drink then after training the EPIC meal of my dai

When i do cardio/other BW exercises i continue the fasting without break it. I only use carb drink during the weight lifting sessions in the afternoon! normally at least 4x per week
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift to do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    Easy and fun!
    Yah you can add in some calorie dense foods, as long as most is good food... have fun...
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  11. Sik
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.31%

I like to play with dense food becames easier.

Even i love to eat a lot but sometimes eating 200g of brown rice with 1lb of chicken became hard lol sometimes i add some fat to the meal to bump the calories. The same can be made to the other meals.

Most of the fat i use is EVOO and coconut oil. Not a fan of nuts, and i need to learn how to like the avocado taste
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I like to play with dense food becames easier.

Even i love to eat a lot but sometimes eating 200g of brown rice with 1lb of chicken became hard lol sometimes i add some fat to the meal to bump the calories. The same can be made to the other meals.

Most of the fat i use is EVOO and coconut oil. Not a fan of nuts, and i need to learn how to like the avocado taste
    Hek yah playing with the macros and calories is half the fun...
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.17%

Peanut Butter, Full Fat Greek Yogurt, and Ground Buffalo (fairly high fat content) are winners to increase fat cals and they all taste awesome.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.07%

3 days in and im loving it!

First two days were pretty painful due to fact i ain't used to eat 3000kcals in 8 hours CLEAN. And i did eat that food in 6 hour window both days..

Offday was fine, sweet potato fries, eggs and stuff for 1800kcals were just a joke compared to training day!
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    It's definitely 20% above your maintenance calories (i.e. the number of calories you need to consume in order to maintain your current composition based on calorie expenditure from BMR and activity level).

So, if your BMR is 2500 calories and your activity level requires another 1000 calories then your maintenance intake would be 3500 calories. From here you would calculate the +20%/-20%. Based on a 3500 maintenance intake, it would look like the first calculations you did (although -20% of 3500 is 2800, not 3200 yes?)

Work Days = 4200
    Rest Days = 2800

This gives you the extra calories to bulk on training days (lean gains) but the deficit to halt fat accumulation on rest days.

Hope this helps you sir!
    Thanks, helps clear it up. I was thinking that was the case, but it just felt too good to be true! I have been eating like a freakin' KING, actually eating too much on some ocassions! Wow, that is even more awesome than I initially thought!

For Rest days though, I don't lift, so have to cut out the Exercise portion and rely on my BMR and if I can get cardio in to let me eat. In this example, I'd be at BMR 2500 + cardio 500 = 3000 - 20% = 2400 total calories. Even worse it drops to 2000 caloris if I don't do cardio.

Is it tough for everyone else to keep their calories restricted on off days? I just have the weekends off, but it is hard to turn off the feeding frenzy mode!!!

Last weekend I had go running at 11PM (after running earlier in the day) to make-up for excess calories, and I was still over my restricted goal!
  16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%

Thanks, helps clear it up. I was thinking that was the case, but it just felt too good to be true! I have been eating like a freakin' KING, actually eating too much on some ocassions! Wow, that is even more awesome than I initially thought!

For Rest days though, I don't lift, so have to cut out the Exercise portion and rely on my BMR and if I can get cardio in to let me eat. In this example, I'd be at BMR 2500 + cardio 500 = 3000 - 20% = 2400 total calories. Even worse it drops to 2000 caloris if I don't do cardio.

Is it tough for everyone else to keep their calories restricted on off days? I just have the weekends off, but it is hard to turn off the feeding frenzy mode!!!

Last weekend I had go running at 11PM (after running earlier in the day) to make-up for excess calories, and I was still over my restricted goal!
    Yah it's tough sometimes but I know because I work out late afternoon that I will be hungry the next day so I don't have large gap in my calories, it's more like 2400 and 2800, these are recomp numbers for me. If I was going to cut I would remove calories from nwd's if I wanted a lean bulk I would add 300 to wd's...
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Hmmm... 2400 - 2800 is not much of a swing. I'd think your maintenance would be higher than that, particularly with exercise? But I guess you are efficient...

I'm just surprised that I'm supposed to be at 4.2K cal on working days, and 2K cal on off days! That's more than a 50% swing! I guess that's the point of LeanGains / IF?

This weekend I'm going to try those zero calorie miracle noodles. Anyone try those?
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%

I did all the calculations .. to maintain 210 lbs I would have to go 3324 wd and 2216 nwd's based on my activity level that's an average of about 2770 over 2 days, I am more like 2650 over two days and gaining slowly right now. So my metabolism is slow which is no shock to me.. so if I was around 2600 I would probably stabilize... so about 94% of my BMR + Activity is the magic line for me... interesting...
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Oh and the Ghrelin is kicking my A$$ today! UGH, I'm going to hide for the next 2.25 hrs...
  20. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%

Hmmm... 2400 - 2800 is not much of a swing. I'd think your maintenance would be higher than that, particularly with exercise? But I guess you are efficient...

I'm just surprised that I'm supposed to be at 4.2K cal on working days, and 2K cal on off days! That's more than a 50% swing! I guess that's the point of LeanGains / IF?

This weekend I'm going to try those zero calorie miracle noodles. Anyone try those?
    I thnk that when you train plays a big factor as well, you have to listen to your body, this is not cookie cutter.. If you are too hungry on your off days take some from your on days to compensate, this is going to happen if you train later in the day where a lot of the recovery occurs ths next day.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    I thnk that when you train plays a big factor as well, you have to listen to your body, this is not cookie cutter.. If you are too hungry on your off days take some from your on days to compensate, this is going to happen if you train later in the day where a lot of the recovery occurs ths next day.
    Hmmm... with morning training, I think I should get as many cals in as soon as possible.

Good idea about "borrowing" calories from other days! Perhaps tonight I'll "save" a few hundred for tomorrow. I'll probably be a bit more comfortable tonight and tomorrow that way. However, during the week I count on the previous night's calorie loading at the end of my 8hr window to be there for AM training the next day.

Why couldn't it all be simple and cookie cutter! I just want to train and eat, thinking is for work!
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.16%

Hmmm... with morning training, I think I should get as many cals in as soon as possible.

Good idea about "borrowing" calories from other days! Perhaps tonight I'll "save" a few hundred for tomorrow. I'll probably be a bit more comfortable tonight and tomorrow that way. However, during the week I count on the previous night's calorie loading at the end of my 8hr window to be there for AM training the next day.

Why couldn't it all be simple and cookie cutter! I just want to train and eat, thinking is for work!
    Yah morning training is 8-10 ours diference then you do all you're feeding later in the day... A bigger swing makes sense for this scenario, this is just me thinking out loud about what I experience. I think I get very hungry the next day because I train later in the day hence less of a swing for me.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

That is a lot of swing. I'm a little curious as to how you came to those numbers, particularly on your off days. For me I'm trying to do 3k on training days, and 1800-2k on rest days but I'm cutting too.
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    That is a lot of swing. I'm a little curious as to how you came to those numbers, particularly on your off days. For me I'm trying to do 3k on training days, and 1800-2k on rest days but I'm cutting too.
    What professor, I showed my math roof:

The math makes sense though, it's going from +20% to -20%; that's a total swing of 40%, or almost half.

Assuming my BMR is 2500, I add ~1000 cal on workout days (estimated on Livestrong.com). That gives me my maintenance, which I then add 20% to, so
    2500 + 1000 = 3500 + 20% (700) = 4200.

For rest days, assuming I do nothing, my BMR alone (maintenance) will be 2500. Off days supposed to shoot for 20% below maintenance so:
    2500 - 20% - 2000.

For a BMR of 2500 calories and exercise of 1000 calories:
    On day: 4200
    Off day: 2000
    Off day + 500cal cardio: 2400

My actuals using real BMR (~2800cal) and exercise (~900cal) are closer to this:
    On day: 4400
    Off day: 2240
    Off day + 500cal cardio: 2640

TIME TO GO HEAT UP MY FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Oh I see what you did there. MB actually outlined it so you would calculate that first number and then add or subtract right from there; as in you would only calculate one maintenance number. It's on p.11 of this document.

But, the way you did it might be an even more useful way to measure it -- especially if you were on a cut! You could dip lower than his recommendation in the PDF (which I think is for "lean gains" as opposed to fat loss).

Good stuff!
  26. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Oh I see what you did there. MB actually outlined it so you would calculate that first number and then add or subtract right from there; as in you would only calculate one maintenance number. It's on p.11 of this document.

But, the way you did it might be an even more useful way to measure it -- especially if you were on a cut! You could dip lower than his recommendation in the PDF (which I think is for "lean gains" as opposed to fat loss).

Good stuff!
    What's odd and concern's me in MB's document is that "maintenance" is the same for working days and days off. Wouldn't "maintenance" be higher if you're lifting hard for 90 minutes vs. doing nothing?
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.93%

I think the goal is to eat approximately your maintenance calories, on average, each week. A few more calories on days you workout, a few less calories on days you don't. Not sure that being super technical is really necessary. Try it out and see what works for you.
  28. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Right, but my question is whether "maintenance" is BMR or BMR + exercise.

BIG difference for me, I workout 5 days a week, so that'd be ~6000+ calories difference a week, or a day and a half of eating!

It's not super technical, it's math! If I'm counting calories I want to know what the target is!

But, without knowing any better I'm going to assume "maintenance" is BMR + exercise. My goals are 4400 calories on working days and 2240-2640 on non working days, depending on cardio. Thanks!
  29. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

Right, but my question is whether "maintenance" is BMR or BMR + exercise.

BIG difference for me, I workout 5 days a week, so that'd be ~6000+ calories difference a week, or a day and a half of eating!

It's not super technical, it's math! If I'm counting calories I want to know what the target is!
    How much is your total maintenance for the week? Then divide by 7 to get daily, go 20% over that for workout days, 20% under for rest days.
    This space for rent

30. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    How much is your total maintenance for the week? Then divide by 7 to get daily, go 20% over that for workout days, 20% under for rest days.
    Ahhhhhhh, you smart man you!

2825 (BMR) + 900 (exercise) x 5 = 18,625
    2825 x 2 = 5,650

18,635 + 5,650 = 24,275 / 7 = 3,470 avg. daily maintenance

Working Days = 3,470 + 20% = 4,164
    Non-Working Days = 3,470 - 20% = 2,776
  31. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

those workout days will be some good eating
    This space for rent

32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Ahhhhhhh, you smart man you!

2825 (BMR) + 900 (exercise) x 5 = 18,625
    2825 x 2 = 5,650

18,635 + 5,650 = 24,275 / 7 = 3,470 avg. daily maintenance

Working Days = 3,470 + 20% = 4,164
    Non-Working Days = 3,470 - 20% = 2,776
    haha that's one way to do it! If on a lean bulk I think those figures would be great; but for fat loss, I actually liked the way you originally did it just as much especially in comparison to MB's suggestion.

I think cutting calories lower on those off-days could enhance the fat loss properties of IF if that was the primary goal.
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

Interesting thread so far with everyone's experiences and opinions. I'll weigh in on my experience with IF;
    It does work and is beneficial although less so if you are extremely active every day. I find it pretty much the same as EOD cycling of calories (results wise) and the "fasting" part does not really impact any part of the diet except convenience(2-3 big meals instead of meals all day long).

I also did not find my workouts to be as intense just as I did with straight calorie cycling. I also found it comparable to carb cycling in terms of results and energy.

I think what IF does is gives another tool in the arsenal for the bodybuilding enthusiast as our lives are always changing and we need to adapt or fall by the wayside in terms of our goals.
  34. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    Interesting thread so far with everyone's experiences and opinions. I'll weigh in on my experience with IF;
    It does work and is beneficial although less so if you are extremely active every day. I find it pretty much the same as EOD cycling of calories (results wise) and the "fasting" part does not really impact any part of the diet except convenience(2-3 big meals instead of meals all day long).

I also did not find my workouts to be as intense just as I did with straight calorie cycling. I also found it comparable to carb cycling in terms of results and energy.

I think what IF does is gives another tool in the arsenal for the bodybuilding enthusiast as our lives are always changing and we need to adapt or fall by the wayside in terms of our goals.
    How long have you been doing IF?

I'm holding out on my opinion until based on results (other than the huge meals, yum!). So far I haven't noticed incredible "leaning" or "gaining" other than calorie cycling. That may be due to multiple factors and time. It is something to keep you guessing and learning, which is good IMO. However, it'll probably eventually pass as a fad too (not trying to be blasphemous)...
  35. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.04%

haha that's one way to do it! If on a lean bulk I think those figures would be great; but for fat loss, I actually liked the way you originally did it just as much especially in comparison to MB's suggestion.

I think cutting calories lower on those off-days could enhance the fat loss properties of IF if that was the primary goal.
    What I'll probably end up doing is shooting for the 4400 calories on working days but then looking at my weekly total calories and then play my off days by ear, based on my totals. I'm more in a lean bulk phase, so extra calories are okay to a degree...
  36. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

Well, the fasting part is what has the largest effect on insulin sensitivity, HDL/LDL levels, and growth hormone release though, but those are also pretty subtle changes that occur over time.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...asp?Doi=177999

http://www.ajcn.org/content/48/5/1197.short

http://www.ams.ac.ir/AIM/0364/003.htm

there are more. I particularly point to Ramadan based studies as its a similar feeding pattern, although a little different. But there are quite a lot of Ramadan based studies with decent amounts of participants available vs there not being many internmittent fasting ones.
    This space for rent

37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.51%

Well, the fasting part is what has the largest effect on insulin sensitivity, HDL/LDL levels, and growth hormone release though, but those are also pretty subtle changes that occur over time.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...asp?Doi=177999

http://www.ajcn.org/content/48/5/1197.short

http://www.ams.ac.ir/AIM/0364/003.htm

there are more. I particularly point to Ramadan based studies as its a similar feeding pattern, although a little different. But there are quite a lot of Ramadan based studies with decent amounts of participants available vs there not being many internmittent fasting ones.

I have read all that before. Frankly working out and eating healthy in general increases insulin sensitivity. There are no studies that compare the healthy active bodybuilder that fasts vs one that doesn't and any increases/decreases when pitted against each other. Nor are there any long term studies on this.
    I am basing my opinions on my own extensive experimentation with this diet and other similar ones. I have been reading MB's stuff (and other supporters of this style of eating)since its inception as well. It is no better than any other diet unless it works for you and your lifestyle.
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.17%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Well, looks like I'm taking a day off IF, going to Waffle House this morning with my wife.
    Life is meant to be lived. Live it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I sound stupid on what i said lol just understand after reading again.

I feel the "pump" that can be from carbs + aminos. But never felt hipoglicemic!

I drink the aminocarb drink then after training the EPIC meal of my dai

When i do cardio/other BW exercises i continue the fasting without break it. I only use carb drink during the weight lifting sessions in the afternoon! normally at least 4x per week
    Makes much more sense now thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    Yah you can add in some calorie dense foods, as long as most is good food... have fun...

Honestly I just use my average for the week and have been successful. Use the KISS methodology. Part of the point of the Lean Gains diet is to create some simplicity in what has become overly and unnecessarily complicated by supplement companies selling you on the need for 6 meals daily which is very inconvenient.. UNLESS you use their convenient products.
    THIS!!!

I do notice more Leaning out effects myself. I also can feel my metabolism shift into overdrive when I eat. I get physically warmer as my body digest the bigger meal. However even MB stated that it does not matter whether you spread it over 6 meals or eat everything in one meal the thermic effect of each energy substrate is constant and will require the same amount of energy to make use of said foods. So 4000 calories of the same ratios will have exactly the same thermic effect. I think there are definitely many who are very well suited to this type of eating. I think it has more to do with a persons hormonal reaction to food than anything else. The Insulin / Glucagon axis, and more importantly a persons insulin sensitivity.

More than anything else as i mentioned above when responding to Milas is that Lean Gains is easier / simpler to follow for me. I get the convenience of 1-3 larger meals depending on how I feel like splitting it up and get to eat a lot more choices of food some that are not considered clean or would never be eaten on a cut. So for me what really makes this better is not just that I do notice more leaning effects from it but that I can enjoy my food more and still get as good or better results than on a strict, boring 5-6 meals a day type of diet that I have drudgingly followed as if taking medicine for years... That and I will definitely follow it longer because it is not as strict. Even doing it as a lifestyle type diet not counting every little thing worked very well for me. There is not I have been restricting myself for 3 months someone let me strap on a feed bag and go to town which leads to a festival of gluttony until I am back to my prior pre-dieted physique and frustrated with myself for slipping from the discipline required to maintain it. I need discipline from 4:30AM until Noon then I can eat good foods. If I want to eat all of it in 1 meal I can and there are no ill effects, if I want to use the full 8 hour window I do that. That is why Lean Gains is my choice and why Martin set out to create it in the first place. He was tired of the dogmatic following of the 6 meal a day regime that required nonstop discipline until you backslid. Wanted something simpler and just as effective if not more so.

If I can follow Intermittent Fasting almost indefinitely due to it's leniency, and can only force myself to eat extremely disciplined for a few months at a time with a traditional approach to dieting then I will make more progress with Lean Gains. Not that I couldn't make the same progress with the traditional approach but I would be less satisfied with my overall situation in general. Always feeling like I was denying myself something I want or crave is not an overly satisfying way to live for me. Before I sacrificed that for the physique and now I do not have to. That is why I love Intermittent Fasting. Not trying to talk anyone into anything as this is just me explaining why I love it and have adopted it.

Another thing to remember is that there is not any requirement for the non training days to be low carb. He has it laid out that way for some people but he also speaks out against ketosis diets and anything that is that severe regarding avoiding any macro-nutrient. If carb sensitive which he expects you to know or discover for yourself yes lower carbs are what you need. Someone who is not carb sensitive could easily be taking in 300-400 grams of carbs on non training day and 500-600 on training days, depending on caloric needs and insulin sensitivity. He recommends lower carbs on non training days but this means lower than training days not lower as in low carb. Ya feel me?

I am carb sensitive so my carb levels are lower 100-150 non training and 200-250 on training days, but that is specific to me. If you can eat a fugton of carbs without any ill effects then by all means rip that sh*t up!!!!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

how did u guys figure out your bmr
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.17%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

http://www.personaltrainertoday.com/...metabolic-rate

Easy stuff man! I know my activity level and my body type as well as having a slightly slower metabolism than typical so I simply multiply my body weight by 12-13 to include activity.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lean Gains Meals
    By malleus25 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
  2. Lean Gains
    By jrdd13 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
  3. RPM + ? = lean muscle gains
    By pumpforlife in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5