The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log

Page 33 of 104 First ... 28313233343538 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    The idea is to take in zero or near zero Cal's during your fast to avoid spiking insulin, so energy drinks are out. You can do a preworkout drink though. Most of those are zero or very little calories. There is some small calorie amounts that you can take in though. Things like sugarfree gum, crystal lite drink mix, fish oil, are all ok. Gum is around 5 Cal's stick and crystal lite is around 5 Cal's per serving also. Fish oil is about 10 Cal's per cap I think. Just keep it within those boundaries during your fast bro
    What about a zero - 15 calorie energy drink, with 1g or less of sugar?
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!

2. Registered User
    Answers

Are energy drinks with 10 calories or less ok? I've read and what exactly is the science behind this diet and how does it compare to something like CKD? I must say, i'm only five days in, and I love it!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JayRock
    Are energy drinks with 10 calories or less ok? I've read and what exactly is the science behind this diet and how does it compare to something like CKD? I must say, i'm only five days in, and I love it!
    I was drinking the 10cal rockstars when I started LG. Lots of flavor, insignificant cals, and energy. I didn't notice any negative side effects from drinking them (I only drank one per day).
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/252210-greens-climb-top.html#post4548443
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    thats fine, the sort of accepted threshhold for breaking the fast is in the 40-50 calorie range. below that doesn't elucidate the same responses.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

thats fine, the sort of accepted threshhold for breaking the fast is in the 40-50 calorie range. below that doesn't elucidate the same responses.
    Yeh that's pretty much the way I remember it. A maximum of 40-50 Cal's in a 2 hour span I believe is what keeps you from breaking your fast. I try to stay way under that though. The only Cal's I take in fasted are from a couple caps of fish oil and some crystal lite drink mix. I might see 25-30 Cal's total over the entire fast.
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

i drinka lot of xtend and bulk bcaas mixed in some sort of sugar free drink......hurting my wallet i must say.....
  7. Registered User
    Answers

should HIIT cardio be done during the fasted state or not?
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Thats fine. I usually take in anywhere from 10-20 calories during my fast due to sweetners and stuff
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of a bulk and I find the eat every 2-3 hours during the day constricting and annoying... so love the look of this diet. My hunger doesnt really naturally awaken till 11am-12pm anyway, even if im up early, so it suits me perfectly.

Quick question.. if i wanted to bulk (naturally) on LG, do I eat a calorie surplus on training days and at maintenance on non training days? I was thinking of finishing my bulk in 4 weeks to start cutting for summer (australia) but maybe I'd be better served to chuck the bulk now and use LG for a recomp?

In terms of what you eat after the fast, how tight are you guys with planning the meals/macros/calories etc or do you just tuck into good healthy calorie dense foods (making sure you get enough protein) until your somewhere around your calorie mark for the day?

cheers,
    nate
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Thanks, that is what I thought, but I know you guys are way up on the more science involved and behind it all, so thanks, very good to know! I will be starting my LG protocol after my big super cut which will end on December 1st, so starting to pay more attention and ask more questions, need to be prepared, I'm a plan way in advanced kinda guy!
    www.finaflex.com
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Answers

FREE FINAFLEX G8 Samples...

Go Here...FREE FINAFLEX G8 Samples are Here...
    www.finaflex.com
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of a bulk and I find the eat every 2-3 hours during the day constricting and annoying... so love the look of this diet. My hunger doesnt really naturally awaken till 11am-12pm anyway, even if im up early, so it suits me perfectly.

Quick question.. if i wanted to bulk (naturally) on LG, do I eat a calorie surplus on training days and at maintenance on non training days? I was thinking of finishing my bulk in 4 weeks to start cutting for summer (australia) but maybe I'd be better served to chuck the bulk now and use LG for a recomp?

In terms of what you eat after the fast, how tight are you guys with planning the meals/macros/calories etc or do you just tuck into good healthy calorie dense foods (making sure you get enough protein) until your somewhere around your calorie mark for the day?

cheers,
    nate
    I am in no way saying this is the best approach, but here's mine...

If I perform a fasted training session (usually mid-morning to early afternoon), I focus on:
    Break fast - high protein levels (50-75g) and moderate carb levels (50-75g) and typical fat levels of < 20g.
    2nd Meal - Modest on all macros
    3rd meal - About 40-50g protein, high carb intake, and normal fat intake (roughly 10-20g)

When I am training on a non-fasted state (one pre-workout meal) then I do this:

Break Fast - Modest everything. Usually 30-50g protein, up to 50g carbs, and 10g of fats or less.
    Post workout - High protein, modest carbs, modest fats.
    3rd meal - Moderate protein, high carbs (100+g), and high fats.

And lastly, the 2 pre-workout meal protocol:

Break fast - high protein, low carbs, low fats
    Pre-workout - Modest on all macros
    Post-workout - high in everything (75+g protein, 100+g carbs, 20+ g fats)

Granted, I currently am on a cutting cycle. So I'm restricting my calories to 1500-1800 calories on burn days and around 2000-2200 on maintenance days. Nonetheless, if I were bulking, I'd just have maintenance days around 2000 calories, and build days (around 2500-2700 calories). So basically I'd keep the same protocol just up the calories in each meal.

And on some days such as today, I will train twice in one day. Legs in morning and chest in evening. When this is the case, I just eat as much as possible.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

I still can't find the reasoning or science backing the diet. Why does fasting like this for the specific amounts of time and eating accordingly to that work so well? Does the fast have to last exactly 16 hours? Is 15 not enough?
  14. Registered User
    Answers

U dont have to believe it. Regardless, it still works. Its a well known fact that bodybuilders who are willing to try new things have better results in their quest for epicness. I read an article about that and then stepped out and tried the diet. It worked.
  15. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JayRock View Post
    I still can't find the reasoning or science backing the diet. Why does fasting like this for the specific amounts of time and eating accordingly to that work so well? Does the fast have to last exactly 16 hours? Is 15 not enough?
    I'm not sure why you can't find it. go here http://www.leangains.com/ and read. and if you want to search for studies here's a pile done on Ramadan fasting by Muslims which is a somewhat similar pattern

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=...N&hl=en&tab=ws
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

April 2011

Name:  IMG_8096.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  97.2 KB July 2011

All the proof I need...
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Answers

This is a brave post, like stepping into a den of hungry lions. BRO! most of us in here are advocates of lean gains and have had great success with it. No need in here for any arguments, just good old fashioned learning! I believe coorslight has an interesting thread on the subject you'd like to discuss.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/252210-greens-climb-top.html#post4548443
  18. Registered User
    Answers

ok i respect all of that. I can see that it does work, it's working now. I just like to know the reasoning behind things being that i'm just analytical and all. But, does the fast have to be exactly 16 hours?
  19. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

ok i respect all of that. I can see that it does work, it's working now. I just like to know the reasoning behind things being that i'm just analytical and all. But, does the fast have to be exactly 16 hours?
    thats the time span the research shows as being effective. is 20 minutes going to make a difference? probably not. An hour? maybe. Once you are doing it, so long as you don't cheat on it, the body gets used to the eating times and the hunger isn't bad.
    This space for rent

20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Answers

So during the first part of the day where you fast for the first 8 hours or so upon waking up, is it okay to have energy drinks? Do they have to be zero calories? Also, what about vitamin tabs or mints that I have when I wake up that have like 5gms of calories, are those ok or not?
    I would go for a good toothbrushing instead.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by juiceless_joe View Post
    I would go for a good toothbrushing instead.
    LOL
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  171 lbs.
    Answers

After reading up on this extensively, I'm working on structuring my days to include a morning wo with a break in the fast around 12-1pm
    I work a 9-5 and usually eat lunch with the bosses or clients...that being said, I don't trust the fast food restaurants around me so i usually limit lunch to salads, chili, etc...

Would I lose the benefit of breaking a fast with a small chicken salad and then waiting till I get back to work to have my largest meal that I would bring with me from home?
    Thx for looking
  23. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    thats the time span the research shows as being effective. is 20 minutes going to make a difference? probably not. An hour? maybe. Once you are doing it, so long as you don't cheat on it, the body gets used to the eating times and the hunger isn't bad.
    Funny, I went back to a more traditional 6 meals a day, with MORE calories, and am more hungry now then I EVER was on LG.. I am about to go back, as I am not sure what I was thinking going back to this 6 meal a day BS.

For me even if the actual fasting part did NOTHING. I would rather eat 2, 400calorie meals, and one 1200 calorie meal, then 6 3xx calorie meals..heh
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob21 View Post
    After reading up on this extensively, I'm working on structuring my days to include a morning wo with a break in the fast around 12-1pm
    I work a 9-5 and usually eat lunch with the bosses or clients...that being said, I don't trust the fast food restaurants around me so i usually limit lunch to salads, chili, etc...

Would I lose the benefit of breaking a fast with a small chicken salad and then waiting till I get back to work to have my largest meal that I would bring with me from home?
    Thx for looking
    Nothing wrong with that at all bro. Actually that kind of goes along with the carb back loading that is mentioned a few times in here. Go for it.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    Funny, I went back to a more traditional 6 meals a day, with MORE calories, and am more hungry now then I EVER was on LG.. I am about to go back, as I am not sure what I was thinking going back to this 6 meal a day BS.

For me even if the actual fasting part did NOTHING. I would rather eat 2, 400calorie meals, and one 1200 calorie meal, then 6 3xx calorie meals..heh
    Amen to that!
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Olympus Labs Rep - check us out at Olympus-Labs.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/252598-kleen-olympus-labs.html
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Answers

Hi Kleen,

this question has been bothering me a bit regarding cardio : I understand that for LISS cardio, BCAA is not required, and for med/high intensity cardio, BCAA is required (during fasting phase). But how about if I ate big PWO meals the night before? Like, at 9pm, I ate big PWO meals with hi carb & hi protein....Will I need BCAA for medium intensity cardio the next morning (6 am)? Sorry if the question is too long.

thx
  27. Registered User
    Answers

so how many carbs should you be eating during training days and non training days? Would a day where u don't lift but do HIIT count as a training day? also, what kind of carbs should be eaten?
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers
    Mind and Muscle Board Representative I am not a physician and any advice is solely based on personal experience with various products
  29. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

How many of you have protein lower on IF then a traditional diet? Say around 1g/lb?

I need to pull calories, and am thinking of actually lowering protein by about 50g a day to start(200g total).
    Good Luck DW! I will be following along.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds
    How many of you have protein lower on IF then a traditional diet? Say around 1g/lb?

I need to pull calories, and am thinking of actually lowering protein by about 50g a day to start(200g total).

Good Luck DW! I will be following along.
    My protein on cardio days gets very close to 1g/lb at times. There are a lot of times that I barely hit it and that is fine. 1g/lb is all you really need anyways. I just aim for 200g a day typically which is over 1g/lb for me.
    Recoverbro Elite
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

so how many carbs should you be eating during training days and non training days? Would a day where u don't lift but do HIIT count as a training day? also, what kind of carbs should be eaten?
    Training days are the same as weight workout days. HIIT or any cardio is a non training day just like rest days. Carb levels are user and goal specific, but I generally go higher Carb on workout days and low Carb on cardio days.
    Recoverbro Elite
  32. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    My protein on cardio days gets very close to 1g/lb at times. There are a lot of times that I barely hit it and that is fine. 1g/lb is all you really need anyways. I just aim for 200g a day typically which is over 1g/lb for me.
    What are your calories on each day currently?

I am thinking about dropping to 225g pro on WO, and 200g on non, I am about 190ish right now. That still gives me a bit of room to drop both another 25g if needed, if I plateau.

I am really nearing the end of my diet here, and calories are getting LOW..heh
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds

What are your calories on each day currently?

I am thinking about dropping to 225g pro on WO, and 200g on non, I am about 190ish right now. That still gives me a bit of room to drop both another 25g if needed, if I plateau.

I am really nearing the end of my diet here, and calories are getting LOW..heh
    I completely understand. When your Cal's are low for the day, it can be hard to hit your protein goal unless you are on low carbs and fat.

I take in around 3k on workout days where hitting the protein goal is no problem. Cardio days are harder. I take in a maximum of 1800 Cal's (sometimes as little as 1500) and I may get around 175-190g those days which is just over 1g/lb for me
    Recoverbro Elite
  34. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Oh hitting the target isn't an issue. I am just at the point where I think the next logical step is to pull some protein.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Answers

So I've been on this (just ending my second day). I normally work out 2 hours per day, 6 days a week. I've been doing a slow cut and am relatively lean so I notice even the slightest change in my body.

For the past week I've weighed 138-140(at the very most). I weighed myself today because I looked bulkier and I'm at 143.6. Same scale, virtually same clothes, hydration levels, calories, etc.. Any explanation for this weight gain? I'm a little anal about this and don't want to go backwards. I couldn't find anything about this on the search either.

Here is what diet has looked like:

Workout Day: 5 sets of Bench Press, 4 sets of shoulders
    http://imm.io/9mOA

Cutting day: 30 minutes low intensity cardio cardio
    http://imm.io/9mOJ

Am I missing something?
  36. Registered User
    Answers

does the fast have to be 18 hours to reap the most benefits? and again, does it matter how many carbs you eat on days were you're not lifting but doing HIIT?
  37. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

does the fast have to be 18 hours to reap the most benefits? and again, does it matter how many carbs you eat on days were you're not lifting but doing HIIT?
    Generally speaking you want lower carbs on non workout days.

You are going to have to figure out what YOU need though.
  38. Registered User
    Answers

thanks, but does the fast have to be 16 hours exactly?
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

thanks, but does the fast have to be 16 hours exactly?
    That is optimal to get the most benefit with insulin levels, etc. If you only get 15 probably not a huge deal, but hitting that 16 hr mark should be your goal to get the most out of this diet
    Recoverbro Elite
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Kleen or Rick is like to hear your opinions on this.

I gotta drop calories after this week.

Currently I am doing 2 days at a calculated 1850 calories and 1450 on 4 days with a refeed on Saturday. I don't count trace macros ie. Protein is protein, carb is a carb source so cals are really about 4-500 higher.

The way I look at it I have 2 options drop both days by 2-250 OR take my burn days down to 1000 and leave the high days, and address then on the next plateau.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lean Gains Meals
    By malleus25 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 06:52 AM
  2. Lean Gains
    By jrdd13 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
  3. RPM + ? = lean muscle gains
    By pumpforlife in forum Supplements