The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log

Page 22 of 104 First ... 17202122232427 ... Last
  1. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Hey all. I wanted to just throw something out here recently that I think is relevant and worth looking at.

I had been on LG for 1-2 months at the time, and I went to have my bloods done. I got the results back - not pretty at all. BUN was high, which is kind of ok since you eat a lot of protein (but in January I was also eating a lot of protein and had a middle-range BUN). However, before my AST and ALT were at 20ish. According to the most recent bloods, both were about 4x their normal value.

While I do not claim to say that this is why it happened, I will at least say that it is logical this could happen if you're stuffing so much protein in a small window of time. The thing is if you're putting in that much protein in a condensed window of time, it follows your body has to strain harder to process it (if it in fact process it all, anyways).

Bottom line is I suggest you guys make sure you are not having problems with your liver values and get bloodwork done sometime if you haven't. If you're good then cool beans

EDIT: It might be worth noting that I had been taking AnaBeta for 3 days at this point.
    I think you are confusing the Liver and the Kidneys. Protein consumption is not going to effect your liver values. If you don't keep yourself properly hydrated and take in a bunch of protein it can stress your kidneys. However for the liver, to raise the values requires toxins, muscle trauma or an infection be present. It is the response of the liver to a toxin and clearing that toxin.
    I have no idea if the Anabeta has any negative effects on the liver it could, things don't have to be methylated to have a negative effect on the liver. Just as easily if you had been taking ibuprofen quite regularly it could do it. Also muscle trauma, like what is induced by a really hard workout can also cause a rise in AST / ALT. However the act of eating all your food in one 8 hour window has nothing to do with AST / ALT unless you are eating something that is toxic to you during that time.

Now what I would really like to hear are the rest of your values like HDL/LDL, triglicerides, blood sugar, and if they changed and if so for the positive or negative.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/256911-kleen-cuts-back.html

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.88%

Quote Originally Posted by TurningGreen View Post
    I am noticing some increased muscle striation and separation as well as being more vascular
    Im only about 2 weeks into LG and am noticing the same things. Getting more vascular and my wife even commented on my shoulder striations, and she usually doesn't notice changes that much since she sees me all the time.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Hey everyone, come check out and follow along with my now famous Hallow-Lean Log, I do one every year... 2011 ScottyDoc's famous FINAFLEX sponsored Hallow-Lean / 16wk SHREDDDD!!!
    Dr. Albert Scott Representative for FINAFLEX
    www.finaflex.com
    Redefine Yourself..... REDEFINE EVERYTHING!
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
    How much protein were you taking in exactly? No need to go over 1-1.5g per lb of lean mass. If you were taking in well over that it could cause issues regardless of how much time during the day you are taking it in..
    Yup, I was at or approaching 1.5. But that amount of protein wasn't even higher from when I ate 5 meals/day though (in fact on my non-workout days, I went lower).

Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    I think you are confusing the Liver and the Kidneys. Protein consumption is not going to effect your liver values. If you don't keep yourself properly hydrated and take in a bunch of protein it can stress your kidneys. However for the liver, to raise the values requires toxins, muscle trauma or an infection be present. It is the response of the liver to a toxin and clearing that toxin.
    I have no idea if the Anabeta has any negative effects on the liver it could, things don't have to be methylated to have a negative effect on the liver. Just as easily if you had been taking ibuprofen quite regularly it could do it. Also muscle trauma, like what is induced by a really hard workout can also cause a rise in AST / ALT. However the act of eating all your food in one 8 hour window has nothing to do with AST / ALT unless you are eating something that is toxic to you during that time.

Now what I would really like to hear are the rest of your values like HDL/LDL, triglicerides, blood sugar, and if they changed and if so for the positive or negative.
    Good catch! Thanks for clearing that up - that was a serious brain fart from me. That makes sense to me @ AST/ALT values. So, it looks like this could be due to AnaBeta, but not because I was on LG. BUN being higher makes sense still, but that's logical and not really a cause for concern at the level that it is at.

As for the other values, those were all fine.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.72%

Okay guys so today I was doing a low carb low cal burn day But work went late and I ended up working 15 hours And I didn't get a third meal in. Would you guys cram a third in even though it will be past hour 10 in my feeding . So 2 hours late. Or What'd you just wait to have a Massive refeed tomorrow to compensate
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.09%

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    Okay guys so today I was doing a low carb low cal burn day But work went late and I ended up working 15 hours And I didn't get a third meal in. Would you guys cram a third in even though it will be past hour 10 in my feeding . So 2 hours late. Or What'd you just wait to have a Massive refeed tomorrow to compensate
    My feeding window is 6pm to midnight and a lot of times on weekends I end up eating at 2 or 3am cause I'm out with friends. So I just start my window later the next day but still end at midnight.
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.34%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedGrunt View Post
    For me, if its a burn day and I miss a meal then that's fine. I don't like missing meals on workout days though, and I don't like going over the 8 hr window. Also remember that having a day here and there that you need to make your window a little longer to get your meal in is not the end of the world and will not really change your results if done very sparingly. Try to make this diet convenient for you while at the same time try sticking to the 16/8 protocol the best you can.
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U View Post
    My feeding window is 6pm to midnight and a lot of times on weekends I end up eating at 2 or 3am cause I'm out with friends. So I just start my window later the next day but still end at midnight.
    If you are sarting to eat at 6 and eat until midnight you already have wiggle room since your window is only 6 hours there I don't think that extending the feeding window is going to cause any issues. However, keep in mind if yu are drinking that what you are drinking has plenty calories. A shot of liquor has 7 grams of Alcohal in it and each grams is worth 7 calories. If you are drinking Beer then what ever other carbs are in the beer are also to be accounted for. So a light beer is typically pretty close to 100 cals, and the full flavor and or darker ones can be much higher. An average margarita has about 1000 calories, hurricane and all of the stronger mixed drinks tend to be quite high in cals so just keep those in check as that would have more effect then gently massaging the feeding window on the weekend.

For me, if its a burn day and I miss a meal then that's fine. I don't like missing meals on workout days though, and I don't like going over the 8 hr window. Also remember that having a day here and there that you need to make your window a little longer to get your meal in is not the end of the world and will not really change your results if done very sparingly. Try to make this diet convenient for you while at the same time try sticking to the 16/8 protocol the best you can.
    Precisely, on burn days I often intentionally miss meals. It is 2:00 PM now and I should have broke my fast 2 hours ago but probably won't eat until 3:30 or 4:00 then tonight have dinner and be done with it.
    Current Log:
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

If you are sarting to eat at 6 and eat until midnight you already have wiggle room since your window is only 6 hours there I don't think that extending the feeding window is going to cause any issues. However, keep in mind if yu are drinking that what you are drinking has plenty calories. A shot of liquor has 7 grams of Alcohal in it and each grams is worth 7 calories. If you are drinking Beer then what ever other carbs are in the beer are also to be accounted for. So a light beer is typically pretty close to 100 cals, and the full flavor and or darker ones can be much higher. An average margarita has about 1000 calories, hurricane and all of the stronger mixed drinks tend to be quite high in cals so just keep those in check as that would have more effect then gently massaging the feeding window on the weekend.

Precisely, on burn days I often intentionally miss meals. It is 2:00 PM now and I should have broke my fast 2 hours ago but probably won't eat until 3:30 or 4:00 then tonight have dinner and be done with it.
    As for the booze, I agree you have to watch though I see less of an impact on lean gains then I do on other diets. That said, for the feeding window I have gone to 9 hours sometimes to get my cals in and see no diminished results, maybe there could be a little more fat burned but I see the proper amount of cals getting in as more important.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  10. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%

Yeah, I can easily get my calories into 6 hours without any problem it is taking in too many calories on those days I have to keep an eye out for.
    Current Log:
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.08%

I had a question.... I break my fast at 1pm, workout at 6pm and eat my final meal at 8:30pm. Should I be taking BCAA's first thing in the morning before work (6am) or would that be pointless?
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%

Its not pointless but not required either. Lots of people do different things. I don't take aminos on burn days. I only take pre workout and post workout and only 8 gram each. Others do 5 grams every hour or 10 every 2
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Quote Originally Posted by Doberman13 View Post
    I had a question.... I break my fast at 1pm, workout at 6pm and eat my final meal at 8:30pm. Should I be taking BCAA's first thing in the morning before work (6am) or would that be pointless?
    Looks like we have similar schedules. I break mine at 12 pm and work out around 6:30 ish I take 2 scoops of BCAA and 1 scoop of whey protein on my second meal and then again in my post workout meal. Every since i started doing this my body has recovered much faster than before.

Oh dang I just let the cat out of the bag. Lets see who catches on. LMAO
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.36%

Its not pointless but not required either. Lots of people do different things. I don't take aminos on burn days. I only take pre workout and post workout and only 8 gram each. Others do 5 grams every hour or 10 every 2
    I have aminos on most all days, normally 2 scoops of RecoverPro at least once before I break my fast, sometimes during my eating and right now I am drinking another 8 grams before bed since it was leg day. I like to take BCAA capsules or Liver Tabs as well, they help a lot if you are really hungry on those off days.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwtTea4U View Post
    I usually end up doing the 6 hour window as well, instead of the 8. It just works better for my schedule, prolongs the fast slightly, and helps me to keep from binging or eating too much when I start eating.

I try to do the same thing on burn days. Like today is my burn day and instead of eating my first meal already, I had some BCAA's and a full can of green beans (to help control hunger mainly plus the carbs in it have a synergistic effect upon the BCAA's but only gave me 70 calories.)
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

I got a bit of bad news today...I have a bulging and possible herniated disc in my lower back. Sounds like this may have been an issue that's been progressing for a while now, but Tuesday I bent down to pick up a pair of 15lb dumbells and ended up on the floor. Anyways, it looks like I may be out for a while as I rehab this injury, so I was hoping you guys could help me out with a modified LG diet...

I want to stick with the LG protocol, but I'm not totally sure what to do with my cals now. I had lost almost 50lbs since January 1st, and did so on a diet of about 1800 cals per day, so I know that's a good cutting caloric amount for me. Now that I'm not going to be doing much of anything for cardio or lifting for several weeks at least, I'm not sure what direction to go with my cals now. I will say that I'm honestly terrified about gaining weight (fat) now that I'm on the shelf, so I was thinking about keeping my cals around 2000 or so. Should I go with an alternating high and low calorie day like I am now? With something like 2200 and 1700? Or should I just stay with a steady rate of 2000? I just want to do everything I can to stay as lean as possible while I'm recovering. Guess I should mention that I'm 34yo, 6'1, and roughly 190lbs.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks in advance.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.34%

Quote Originally Posted by Quil View Post
    I got a bit of bad news today...I have a bulging and possible herniated disc in my lower back. Sounds like this may have been an issue that's been progressing for a while now, but Tuesday I bent down to pick up a pair of 15lb dumbells and ended up on the floor. Anyways, it looks like I may be out for a while as I rehab this injury, so I was hoping you guys could help me out with a modified LG diet...

I want to stick with the LG protocol, but I'm not totally sure what to do with my cals now. I had lost almost 50lbs since January 1st, and did so on a diet of about 1800 cals per day, so I know that's a good cutting caloric amount for me. Now that I'm not going to be doing much of anything for cardio or lifting for several weeks at least, I'm not sure what direction to go with my cals now. I will say that I'm honestly terrified about gaining weight (fat) now that I'm on the shelf, so I was thinking about keeping my cals around 2000 or so. Should I go with an alternating high and low calorie day like I am now? With something like 2200 and 1700? Or should I just stay with a steady rate of 2000? I just want to do everything I can to stay as lean as possible while I'm recovering. Guess I should mention that I'm 34yo, 6'1, and roughly 190lbs.

I dont see a problem with that. Should help you stay lean while recovering and even lean out some more
    Recoverbro Elite
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

Ya know... You really should talk to ScottyDoc about your back issues, I hear he's a Chiropractor! Hey wait a minute, that's me! Sorry to hear about your injury Bro, do you mind elaborating about it? Who diagnosed you, how did they diagnose you, what is your re-hab therapy looking like (routine)?
    www.finaflex.com
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDoc View Post
    Ya know... You really should talk to ScottyDoc about your back issues, I hear he's a Chiropractor! Hey wait a minute, that's me! Sorry to hear about your injury Bro, do you mind elaborating about it? Who diagnosed you, how did they diagnose you, what is your re-hab therapy looking like (routine)?

One of my old Biz Cards
    www.finaflex.com
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

Sure, I'd be glad to get some more insight on this!

It sounds like this issue may have been brewing for a while, and the incident on Tuesday was just "the straw that broke the camels back", per se. No pun intended (seriously). I've been having numbness on the outside of both thighs when I sit in certain positions or lay down flat on my back for long periods...been happening for probably 2-3 years. I'm always very careful about picking up and putting down weights, but I guess I just got careless on Tuesday when I bent down to grab a pair of 15lb dumbells off of a small step. I grabbed them and then was on the floor...incredible pain in my lower back, just above both buttocks. There's kind of a bony mass there, which is exactly where my pain is stemming from. It was all I could do to get my clothes changed and walk downstairs. Luckily I haven't had any shooting pain in my legs, but the localized pain in that area is incredible. I can't stand up straight, and walking is incredibly difficult. If I'm sitting or laying down, I can't pick up my left leg without stabbing pain in that lower back area. Pretty much any movement is painful. I'm really struggling to get comfortable either sitting or laying down. It's very uncomfortable all the time, with intermittant stabbing pains if I move wrong. I had been taking copious amounts of Aleve or 800mg Ibuprofen since the injury, and it feels like some of the muscular pain/cramping I was having is gone, but it's not touching the pain around my lower back.

I went to Baptist Medical Associates in La Grange, KY which is about 30 minutes outside Louisville. The NP there said she thought it was probably a bulging disc, but was hopefull that it's not herniated since there has been the shooting pain in my legs (although the numbness I've experienced is cause for concern). I go to start some PT on Monday morning, and we'll go from there. I got a shot in the ass of an anti-inflammatory, which I had hoped would work better than it has, but so far no relief. I'm also taking Flexoril, which hasn't touched anything yet. Honestly, I'm in more pain today than I have been so far with the exception of the initial injury.

I'll update you when I know what the rehab protocol looks like. Any thoughts or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

Sure, I'd be glad to get some more insight on this!

It sounds like this issue may have been brewing for a while, and the incident on Tuesday was just "the straw that broke the camels back", per se. No pun intended (seriously). I've been having numbness on the outside of both thighs when I sit in certain positions or lay down flat on my back for long periods...been happening for probably 2-3 years. I'm always very careful about picking up and putting down weights, but I guess I just got careless on Tuesday when I bent down to grab a pair of 15lb dumbells off of a small step. I grabbed them and then was on the floor...incredible pain in my lower back, just above both buttocks. There's kind of a bony mass there, which is exactly where my pain is stemming from. It was all I could do to get my clothes changed and walk downstairs. Luckily I haven't had any shooting pain in my legs, but the localized pain in that area is incredible. I can't stand up straight, and walking is incredibly difficult. If I'm sitting or laying down, I can't pick up my left leg without stabbing pain in that lower back area. Pretty much any movement is painful. I'm really struggling to get comfortable either sitting or laying down. It's very uncomfortable all the time, with intermittant stabbing pains if I move wrong. I had been taking copious amounts of Aleve or 800mg Ibuprofen since the injury, and it feels like some of the muscular pain/cramping I was having is gone, but it's not touching the pain around my lower back.

I went to Baptist Medical Associates in La Grange, KY which is about 30 minutes outside Louisville. The NP there said she thought it was probably a bulging disc, but was hopefull that it's not herniated since there has been the shooting pain in my legs (although the numbness I've experienced is cause for concern). I go to start some PT on Monday morning, and we'll go from there. I got a shot in the ass of an anti-inflammatory, which I had hoped would work better than it has, but so far no relief. I'm also taking Flexoril, which hasn't touched anything yet. Honestly, I'm in more pain today than I have been so far with the exception of the initial injury.

I'll update you when I know what the rehab protocol looks like. Any thoughts or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
    First off, just so you know, that bulge/boney prominence right above your glute is called the PSIS (posterior superior iliac spine), there is no disc there to bulge. Now, that does not mean it is not a bulging disc of L5-Sacrum and just referring the pain to one side vs. the other all dependent on the location of the bulge, just saying there is no disc at your site of pain! One thing is for sure, the pain in the buttock and running down the leg is due to pressure on your sciatic nerve, now where that pressure is coming from is the key to solving/fixing your problem. I personally recommend going to see a Chiropractor local to your area, he will be able to determine exactly where the problem is, with a few adjustments, he will more than likely be able to fix your problem and take the pressure off the nerve, as well as perform any of the PT rehab stuff that the PT was going to do. Just to be clear, I am in no way knocking PT's there are two on this forum that I highly, highly respect, just saying that I believe this problem needs to be identified and corrected before rehab (whether with the Chiro or PT) before it can truly be fixed. See, we as Chiropractors adjust the spine and other joints to take pressure off the nerve, which can and will alleviate pain, but it is the rehab therapy afterwards that strengthens the muscles surrounds that joint (pre-disposed area of weakness) so the problem does not return the second you make one wrong move, so both are extremely important! Also, all the drugs mentioned above are great for relieving the pain, just want to be clear that, that is all they are good for, there is no such drug on the planet that cures/fixes Back or joint pain, they only mask the symptoms (pain).
    www.finaflex.com
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

I haven't had any pain my either buttocks or shooting down either leg, just to be clear. Just the numbness on the outsides of both thighs, which like I said has been happening for a while now, and the intense pain around my lower back. I appreciate your response, and I'm anxious to see what the therapist has to say Monday morning. I'll let you know what their plan of attack is. I'll certainly consider looking into a chiropractor as well.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

I haven't had any pain my either buttocks or shooting down either leg, just to be clear. Just the numbness on the outsides of both thighs, which like I said has been happening for a while now, and the intense pain around my lower back. I appreciate your response, and I'm anxious to see what the therapist has to say Monday morning. I'll let you know what their plan of attack is. I'll certainly consider looking into a chiropractor as well.
    No problem, just trying to help! BTW, are you on Mind & Muscle Forum as well?
    www.finaflex.com
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

No problem, just trying to help! BTW, are you on Mind & Muscle Forum as well?
    No, I haven't heard of it?
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%

No, I haven't heard of it?
    OK, no worries! Also, just curious, but what is that picture in your Avatar? Funny, because it looks like a Sacrum...

www.finaflex.com
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.34%

OK, no worries! Also, just curious, but what is that picture in your Avatar? Funny, because it looks like a Sacrum...

I don't know what the picture is exactly, but I know where its from. It is the cover of the TOOL-Undertow album
    Recoverbro Elite
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

lol, I checked after you said that and it really does!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

I don't know what the picture is exactly, but I know where its from. It is the cover of the TOOL-Undertow album
    That's exactly where I got it. No idea what it is, but I thought it looked cool.
  29. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.4%

Rectum? Damn near killed im!
  30. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Well I have jumped on the Lean Gains bandwagon thanks to all of you that have shown a lot progress... Here is a link to my log if interested...

Onlychevy6 - Shedding Fat w/ EPI-V, Pro Xanthine 500-XT, PCT Rev. Black (Sponsored)

31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.4%

Well damn, doing it big Jeff!
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Time to step it up in a major way..
  33. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.99%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

hey guys, i had posted in this thread before regarding bulking with lean gains and i am now really looking into it. I was wondering if anyoen could help me out..... i was thinking the 16 hour fast starting at 9 pm......getting up, working out and then having my pwo meal being my fast breaking meal around......3 (that is 16 hours right? lol) my plan woudl be to sip on bcaas until i lift, then sip on bcaas while i lift and then break the fast with a meal, or get up and lift right away then sip on bcaas afterwards until its fast breaking time. If this is what I do, what woudl u suggest my % of cals be in that meal?? I woul prolly be shooting for about 300g of proteina dn carbs with 100g fat which woudl be 3300 cals on w/o days.....what woudl that be on rest/cardio days then? I know alot of this has been answereed previously but I am too alzy to go back and find it all, and I am sorry for that and hope you guys can still help me out, THANKS!!!

also anyones personal experience with bulking on lean gains woudl be appreciated. was the added weight more lean weight than u had on a bulk?
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

Hello, looking for some help please.
    I came across this forum whilst reading about the IF. I have read quite a bit about it but am still confused about it.
    Is it a cutting diet, bulking, both?
    How do you calculate/estimate your calories needed, and how is that broken down into cpf's ratios?
    Is there a book about this somewhere I can buy?
  35. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Quote Originally Posted by And View Post
    Hello, looking for some help please.
    I came across this forum whilst reading about the IF. I have read quite a bit about it but am still confused about it.
    Is it a cutting diet, bulking, both?
    How do you calculate/estimate your calories needed, and how is that broken down into cpf's ratios?
    Is there a book about this somewhere I can buy?
    It can be used for both cutting and bulking. As far as calories it depends on your specific goal. There are places like fit day that will calculate your macros and calories so it is easier to break down what exactly you need to change. Maybe if you share with everyone what your specific goals are people can help point you in the right direction.
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.33%

thanks onlychevy6
    Well I am about 175lbs, 5'10. I would like to lose a bit of stubborn fat that I have on my chest and waist. Then I want to bulk up whilst getting strength up to and beyond what I was up to a couple of years ago. I got up to 300lbsx5 ATG squat and 350x5 dead quite quickly but messed my back and knee up from a bad squat. Couldn't train properly for ages and never got back up to it again. My injuries seem to have healed up now.
    Can 5x5 training be used with this IF?
  37. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

Quote Originally Posted by And View Post
    thanks onlychevy6
    Well I am about 175lbs, 5'10. I would like to lose a bit of stubborn fat that I have on my chest and waist. Then I want to bulk up whilst getting strength up to and beyond what I was up to a couple of years ago. I got up to 300lbsx5 ATG squat and 350x5 dead quite quickly but messed my back and knee up from a bad squat. Couldn't train properly for ages and never got back up to it again. My injuries seem to have healed up now.
    Can 5x5 training be used with this IF?

Yes it can be. The key to this diet is timing. There are a few different methods that can be followed depending on your person daily routine. I would check out the lean gains website and figure out which fits your daily life. No matter what you select if followed correctly you should see results. If you work out in the mornings you will still be fasting until around noon. Just the same as if you train in the evening like myself. I personally have two meals prior to my training and my largest meal as my post workout meal. Your heaviest meal should be after your workout. So if you train in the morning your meal at noon would be your largest and tapered down. Now of course on your non workout days you would want to have you largest meal as your first and taper down as the day goes on.

Like i said earlier track your diet and be honest with yourself that includes logging if you drink sodas and everything. Once you get that in check the rest will fall into place. Then you will be able to figure out your calorie needs to lose the stubborn fat and put on some mass in the mean time.
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.32%

By the way I am in no way an expert on this diet. I read a boat load of information before I personally try anything. And it is hard not to want to try something that people are getting obvious results doing both Bulking and Cutting using the same method.
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  204 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.2%

My calculations for maintenance for someone with an average metabolism is body weight multiplied by 12-13 cutting, 13-14 Recomp, and 14-15 clean bulking. Of course if you are carrying a lot of fat like a whole lot you can probably use lower numbers for multiplication. However calories and macros are very individual. So if not that familiar with your body use my numbers as a starting point. For someone who is obese I think using a maintenance of 2500 to figure out what to eat each day is a very good number. That puts you at 2000/ and 3000, and leaves a little wiggle room to go lower if needed but is still high enough to prevent muscle loss.
    Current Log:
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.83%
    www.finaflex.com

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lean Gains Meals
    By malleus25 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 08:52 AM
  2. Lean Gains
    By jrdd13 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 02:48 PM
  3. RPM + ? = lean muscle gains
    By pumpforlife in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5