The Lean Gains / IF learning and Discussion Log

Page 10 of 138 First ... 89101112 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    That's a talkative liver I've got!
    I updated that post above not sure if you saw the second part. Yeah your liver is a chatty bastard.
    Live Hard, Laugh Hard, Love Hard and Heal Fast! - KLEEN
    Current Training Log -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/276206-kleen-strong-body.html

2. Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    I'd agree, especially since it contains 39g of fast carbs. I'm just not sure how it affects the rest of the fasting cycle. I'm wondering if I miss out on the goodness of IF completely or just marginally since it should clear my system pretty quickly intra-workout...
    I agree with Kleen; those carbs could be making you hungry before you otherwise would be, especially given the fact that are essentially simple sugars. 180 calories would definitely disrupt the processes that occur during a fast as well, but if it works for you then it works for you! The hunger issue is most likely related to the carbs though.

I just saw a study a few weeks ago indicated that compared the hunger of individuals eating meals containing either F/P or F/P/C. The group ingesting significant carbs along with fat and protein were consistently hungrier for their next meals in comparison to the the group ingesting only fat and protein.
    •   

3. the insulin spikes are pretty obvious.

So dependending in your WO shecdule, i will use or not carbs Pre and intra training.

Even when i'm very low, near 100g carbs i will use 50carbs drink with Leucine + another amino's and sip half the drink before the workout and another half in the middle of it.

Never felt any insulin spikes, even i'm comming from a fasting state.

You will benifit a lot from the fast during the 16h you don't eat nothing + almost 4-6 hours with only one meal based on veggies + fat + protein source.

Even martin, has change a little the idea of trainning only fasted.

If you like fasted training? Wake up every morning and do some Push ups/Dips, Jump Squat / lunges, Pull ups /chins and then go fasted for after and do what you normally do. Or instead alternate between these and some moderate cardio.

This schedule very well for me working out at end of the day. Why? I give a boost that take 10-15 min in the morning, or 45-60 if is cardio day, and then benifit of the carb drink for the weight lifting.

Hope to help with my small feedback Cheers

4. Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    the insulin spikes are pretty obvious.

So dependending in your WO shecdule, i will use or not carbs Pre and intra training.

Even when i'm very low, near 100g carbs i will use 50carbs drink with Leucine + another amino's and sip half the drink before the workout and another half in the middle of it.

Never felt any insulin spikes, even i'm comming from a fasting state.

You will benifit a lot from the fast during the 16h you don't eat nothing + almost 4-6 hours with only one meal based on veggies + fat + protein source.

Even martin, has change a little the idea of trainning only fasted.

If you like fasted training? Wake up every morning and do some Push ups/Dips, Jump Squat / lunges, Pull ups /chins and then go fasted for after and do what you normally do. Or instead alternate between these and some moderate cardio.

This schedule very well for me working out at end of the day. Why? I give a boost that take 10-15 min in the morning, or 45-60 if is cardio day, and then benifit of the carb drink for the weight lifting.

Hope to help with my small feedback Cheers
    When you say you don't feel an insulin spike do you mean you don't get low blood sugar? I have never felt an insulin spike but I have felt the results of one whether that be mymuscle engorged with nutrients or low blood sugar. The low bloog sugar would come into play if coming from a fasted state abruptly into a fed state with the shot of carb then not supplying any further carbs for the body to continue to use from blood sugar. So I have to ask when you say you have those carbs pre and intra are you following training with a feeding or going right back into a fasted state as Milas is?

When you do the calisthenics in the morning do you also have pre and intra then and then fast until your pre workout meal or post workout meal depending on schedule?

Just trying to put all the peices together.
    Current Training Log -

5. Also to be fair this is not just a Lean Gain thread but the majority of it is. However other IF protocols like The Warrior Diet for muscle building recommends a small meal post workout if you train in the AM, then wait to eat until later in the evening and have the really big meal. In which case Milas that is an option you could do while still using the Size On. Just add some meat or protein to the consumption of the Size On. With what I know regarding hormones, metabolism and catabolism now I understand that this is not needed but it may help to satiate you while you honor your agreement to run the log.
    Current Training Log -
    •   

6. ive been doing IF for about 8 months now--love it

7. So far so good. Started monday. Its crazy for the first time in my life I GET the idea of food for energy, not just to eat.

RECOVERBRO

8. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    yeah, for me though it was going the last 5 hours of the day without eating. Particularly on days where I workout from 7-8am its rough to not eat till after 12. But today not bad.

10g BCAAs and 12oz of water does a world of wonder for this. I mix the 10g with the least amount of water possible (dont like the taste), pound it and then pound the water. It actually makes me feel full within 10 minutes.

9. Quote Originally Posted by JoHNnyNuTZ View Post
    So far so good. Started monday. Its crazy for the first time in my life I GET the idea of food for energy, not just to eat.

Amen! Now if only I can convince my family and girlfriend of the same thing...

I feel that too many people are addicted to food! They eat food for the taste and pleasure of the food and the act of eating; that is not good! We have taste buds to distinguish which foods are good and which are going to kill us. Dangerous foods in nature are usually bitter and sweet foods are loaded with carbs which we desperately needed in nature before society provided fast food and grocery stores. Same idea with fats; they taste good because our bodies really needed them when we lived in the wild because we never knew when our next meal was and therefore lived off of our fat stores for many hours at a time.

Don't get me wrong though, I love candy. But that doesn't mean I have to eat it more than a once every few weeks (and usually when I'm blazed )

10. This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift to do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.

11. So quick question, should I be shooting for 20% above my BMR, or 20% above my maintenance calories (BMR + Exercise)?

Also, should that 20% be of my total (3500, so 700 calories above, total 3200 or 4200 for the day), or my BMR (2500, so 500 above, total 3000 or 4000 for the day) assuming 2500 calorie BMR + 1000 calorie exercise.

What should my total calories be for the day, I'm so confused!!!
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes

12. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift to do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    I could do it in 1 hour

13. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    It hasn't been too much of a problem for me yet. I consume in excess of 1k-1500 for the first meal and last meal with a smaller 500 Cal or less meal in the middle
    Recoverbro Elite
    "This is what we've been working on"

14. 3.3k cals in 8 hours is definitely doable buddy Enjoy. haha

15. Easy and fun!

16. Quote Originally Posted by raptor20561 View Post
    Amen! Now if only I can convince my family and girlfriend of the same thing...

Don't get me wrong though, I love candy. But that doesn't mean I have to eat it more than a once every few weeks (and usually when I'm blazed )
    Hopefully they'll be willing to listen to you long enough to move past their own preconceptions! Nearly everybody who asks me about the way I eat immediately dismisses fasting as unhealthy, harmful, and all other kinds of ridiklus nonsense.

Candy is ****ing delicious! In fact, I've eaten candy (not a lot, but ~75-100 calories worth) on almost every training day for the past several weeks and have consistently made quantifiable progress. How many fat loss diets allow for that kind of ****? Not very many.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    So quick question, should I be shooting for 20% above my BMR, or 20% above my maintenance calories (BMR + Exercise)?

Also, should that 20% be of my total (3500, so 700 calories above, total 3200 or 4200 for the day), or my BMR (2500, so 500 above, total 3000 or 4000 for the day) assuming 2500 calorie BMR + 1000 calorie exercise.

What should my total calories be for the day, I'm so confused!!!
    It's definitely 20% above your maintenance calories (i.e. the number of calories you need to consume in order to maintain your current composition based on calorie expenditure from BMR and activity level).

So, if your BMR is 2500 calories and your activity level requires another 1000 calories then your maintenance intake would be 3500 calories. From here you would calculate the +20%/-20%. Based on a 3500 maintenance intake, it would look like the first calculations you did (although -20% of 3500 is 2800, not 3200 yes?)

Work Days = 4200
    Rest Days = 2800

This gives you the extra calories to bulk on training days (lean gains) but the deficit to halt fat accumulation on rest days.

Hope this helps you sir!

18. Well, looks like I'm taking a day off IF, going to Waffle House this morning with my wife.

19. Quote Originally Posted by MrKleen73 View Post
    When you say you don't feel an insulin spike do you mean you don't get low blood sugar? I have never felt an insulin spike but I have felt the results of one whether that be mymuscle engorged with nutrients or low blood sugar. The low bloog sugar would come into play if coming from a fasted state abruptly into a fed state with the shot of carb then not supplying any further carbs for the body to continue to use from blood sugar. So I have to ask when you say you have those carbs pre and intra are you following training with a feeding or going right back into a fasted state as Milas is?

When you do the calisthenics in the morning do you also have pre and intra then and then fast until your pre workout meal or post workout meal depending on schedule?

Just trying to put all the peices together.

I sound stupid on what i said lol just understand after reading again.

I feel the "pump" that can be from carbs + aminos. But never felt hipoglicemic!

I drink the aminocarb drink then after training the EPIC meal of my dai

When i do cardio/other BW exercises i continue the fasting without break it. I only use carb drink during the weight lifting sessions in the afternoon! normally at least 4x per week

20. Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    This diet should be renamed intermittent facestuffing. Good god, and this was a low cals day for me. It might be a little rough tomorrow when I lift to do 3.3k cals in an 8 hour window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    Easy and fun!
    Yah you can add in some calorie dense foods, as long as most is good food... have fun...
    Unremarkable is no way to go through life... Doug

21. I like to play with dense food becames easier.

Even i love to eat a lot but sometimes eating 200g of brown rice with 1lb of chicken became hard lol sometimes i add some fat to the meal to bump the calories. The same can be made to the other meals.

Most of the fat i use is EVOO and coconut oil. Not a fan of nuts, and i need to learn how to like the avocado taste

22. Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I like to play with dense food becames easier.

Even i love to eat a lot but sometimes eating 200g of brown rice with 1lb of chicken became hard lol sometimes i add some fat to the meal to bump the calories. The same can be made to the other meals.

Most of the fat i use is EVOO and coconut oil. Not a fan of nuts, and i need to learn how to like the avocado taste
    Hek yah playing with the macros and calories is half the fun...

23. Peanut Butter, Full Fat Greek Yogurt, and Ground Buffalo (fairly high fat content) are winners to increase fat cals and they all taste awesome.

24. 3 days in and im loving it!

First two days were pretty painful due to fact i ain't used to eat 3000kcals in 8 hours CLEAN. And i did eat that food in 6 hour window both days..

Offday was fine, sweet potato fries, eggs and stuff for 1800kcals were just a joke compared to training day!

25. Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    It's definitely 20% above your maintenance calories (i.e. the number of calories you need to consume in order to maintain your current composition based on calorie expenditure from BMR and activity level).

So, if your BMR is 2500 calories and your activity level requires another 1000 calories then your maintenance intake would be 3500 calories. From here you would calculate the +20%/-20%. Based on a 3500 maintenance intake, it would look like the first calculations you did (although -20% of 3500 is 2800, not 3200 yes?)

Work Days = 4200
    Rest Days = 2800

This gives you the extra calories to bulk on training days (lean gains) but the deficit to halt fat accumulation on rest days.

Hope this helps you sir!
    Thanks, helps clear it up. I was thinking that was the case, but it just felt too good to be true! I have been eating like a freakin' KING, actually eating too much on some ocassions! Wow, that is even more awesome than I initially thought!

For Rest days though, I don't lift, so have to cut out the Exercise portion and rely on my BMR and if I can get cardio in to let me eat. In this example, I'd be at BMR 2500 + cardio 500 = 3000 - 20% = 2400 total calories. Even worse it drops to 2000 caloris if I don't do cardio.

Is it tough for everyone else to keep their calories restricted on off days? I just have the weekends off, but it is hard to turn off the feeding frenzy mode!!!

Last weekend I had go running at 11PM (after running earlier in the day) to make-up for excess calories, and I was still over my restricted goal!

26. Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    Thanks, helps clear it up. I was thinking that was the case, but it just felt too good to be true! I have been eating like a freakin' KING, actually eating too much on some ocassions! Wow, that is even more awesome than I initially thought!

For Rest days though, I don't lift, so have to cut out the Exercise portion and rely on my BMR and if I can get cardio in to let me eat. In this example, I'd be at BMR 2500 + cardio 500 = 3000 - 20% = 2400 total calories. Even worse it drops to 2000 caloris if I don't do cardio.

Is it tough for everyone else to keep their calories restricted on off days? I just have the weekends off, but it is hard to turn off the feeding frenzy mode!!!

Last weekend I had go running at 11PM (after running earlier in the day) to make-up for excess calories, and I was still over my restricted goal!
    Yah it's tough sometimes but I know because I work out late afternoon that I will be hungry the next day so I don't have large gap in my calories, it's more like 2400 and 2800, these are recomp numbers for me. If I was going to cut I would remove calories from nwd's if I wanted a lean bulk I would add 300 to wd's...

27. Hmmm... 2400 - 2800 is not much of a swing. I'd think your maintenance would be higher than that, particularly with exercise? But I guess you are efficient...

I'm just surprised that I'm supposed to be at 4.2K cal on working days, and 2K cal on off days! That's more than a 50% swing! I guess that's the point of LeanGains / IF?

This weekend I'm going to try those zero calorie miracle noodles. Anyone try those?

28. I did all the calculations .. to maintain 210 lbs I would have to go 3324 wd and 2216 nwd's based on my activity level that's an average of about 2770 over 2 days, I am more like 2650 over two days and gaining slowly right now. So my metabolism is slow which is no shock to me.. so if I was around 2600 I would probably stabilize... so about 94% of my BMR + Activity is the magic line for me... interesting...

29. Oh and the Ghrelin is kicking my A$$ today! UGH, I'm going to hide for the next 2.25 hrs...

30. Quote Originally Posted by Milas View Post
    Hmmm... 2400 - 2800 is not much of a swing. I'd think your maintenance would be higher than that, particularly with exercise? But I guess you are efficient...

I'm just surprised that I'm supposed to be at 4.2K cal on working days, and 2K cal on off days! That's more than a 50% swing! I guess that's the point of LeanGains / IF?

This weekend I'm going to try those zero calorie miracle noodles. Anyone try those?
    I thnk that when you train plays a big factor as well, you have to listen to your body, this is not cookie cutter.. If you are too hungry on your off days take some from your on days to compensate, this is going to happen if you train later in the day where a lot of the recovery occurs ths next day.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Lean Gains Meals
    By malleus25 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
  2. Lean Gains
    By jrdd13 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
  3. RPM + ? = lean muscle gains