Pre-workout meal timing question

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long after a meal do you workout? I have heard that you should wait 2 hours after your meal before you lift because of something with growth hormone response. Can anyone elaborate on this or explain what they do and their reasoning? I have been waiting 2 hrs ever since I heard that but now I am starting to question if it is a actual valid point or not.

Thanks

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also is their a different timing you would use for different goals! Say if your bulking, cuttin, or recomping?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long after a meal do you workout? I have heard that you should wait 2 hours after your meal before you lift because of something with growth hormone response. Can anyone elaborate on this or explain what they do and their reasoning? I have been waiting 2 hrs ever since I heard that but now I am starting to question if it is a actual valid point or not.

Thanks
I don't train after eating - I train first thing on an emoty stomach, because it's when I am the best re energy, feel the best, and get the best results, and my strength and endurance, etc. are not affected from the lack of food.

I used to train in the afternoons/evenings, especially when I was cycling, and would sometimes eat and then go train immediately. However, since retiring from cycling, if I trained later in the day, I would wait at least two hours post a physical food meal before training, and ~30-60 minutes after a liquid/shake meal.

Everyone will do it differently for many reasons, including but not limited to convenience, when they can find or make the time, what they get the best results from, etc.

Also is their a different timing you would use for different goals! Say if your bulking, cuttin, or recomping?
Dependent on the individual and their preferences and what works best for them.

~Rosie~

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
i eat about 500cal lunch around 1:30 and head to the gym or basement around 4 and drink a 20g protein shake about 15min before hitting it for an hour or so

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
Training on a full stomach can hinder your energy. The blood in your body will rush towards your stomach leaving you fatigued or drowsy. I usually like to eat a light meal to replenish any lost glycogen stores 1 hour before working out. By "light" i mean eat until you start to feel something in your stomach. Maybe a small sandwich will do the trick.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat approximately one hour before training. I eat every 2 hours if not more. If I wait any longer to train after eating I get hungry during my workout.

Edit- wow I just re read my post... Lol sorry!

ono

ono

Awards
Again it's one of those things that you have to gauge yourself. if eating 2 hours before the gym works best for you, then i'd stick with it regardless of what other people tell you.

For me the most important thing is to keep my blood sugar balanced and to avoid feeling hungry when i'm training, because these are the two main things that can hinder my workout.

I will normally eat around 90 minutes before exercise. That works best for me. It might not be scientifically optimum, but it gets the job done for me. I've experimented with different timings, but this is what i find most comfortable.

ninereps

Awards
Its one of those things where everyone is different but I like to eat a pretty decent sized meal and then wait and hour, take my creatine and go. I feel I have the most energy that way.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i go to the gym about one hour after i eat my pre workout meal which is usually light (chicken and a p&j)

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I train empty, simply because it's when I feel the best. I go by how I feel.

KillaK2010

Awards
I agree with most everyone. They are going to have different feelings about how it works for yourself. I can train at almost any time but since starting to take PWO it makes it easier to train either in the AM on an empty stomach or in the early afternoon after about 2 hrs so the food is digested and the PWO can still get into my system to give me the energy and boost I like to feel during my workouts.

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
.i get a meal within an hour of training cuz with my frequency i have to hurry to eat again but training empty is stupid period."training in the fasted state is the impact on proteolysis(breaking down proteins AKA losing muscle), nitrogen losses more than doubled in the fasted state as compared to having glycogen within the body. Another good reason to have a little bit of food." i can imagine it can increase cortisol as well.

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
Meal timing should never change, but the macronutrient content should depending on goals