oatmeal post w/o?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
i was wondering if it would be better to use oatmeal in my shake post w/o instead of eating a med bagel or 50g of maltidextrin for helping with leaning out some dont have any sugar other then 1 1/2c low fat milk and banana for a mid morn snack and apple pre w/o (not every day)and if so should i take leucine before hand?

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
It's what I do..a cup of 1-min quick oats in my isolate shake post workout. I love it. The less refined you eat, the better.

Get rid of the milk too.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
It's what I do..a cup of 1-min quick oats in my isolate shake post workout. I love it. The less refined you eat, the better.

Get rid of the milk too.
no need to cook the oats then just grind em and chug em?

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I scoop a cup from the jug, throw 'em in my shaker filled with 10-12 oz. water and mix whatever else i want in with it..shake...let sit for a minute and they are ready to go.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
okie dokie guess i'll try it with some cinn and splenda or something on that line

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I've found a lot of success using oats PWO, much better than bagels for me anyways.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I've found a lot of success using oats PWO, much better than bagels for me anyways.
this will be the first time have a leg w/o later on and also you said to me about peeing alot or do i feel like i do well i do like 4-5 times an hour

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
I've always found oats to be overrated PWO. Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and what works for me. They are very slow digesting, meaning they aren't going to replenish your glycogen stores very fast. Also if you actually look at the full macro breakdown, you aren't getting very many calories from carbs from them in the first place. 1/2 cup is going to give you 3.5 g of fat (which slows down digestion), which is already 30 something cals, then 4g of the 27g of carbs are fiber (which is also going to slow down the digestion), meaning they aren't going to your muscles either, so you are really only getting just over 20g of carbs, so just over half of those 150 cals in a 1/2 cup of oats is coming from carbs that are going to fill your glycogen stores back up and help you recover. I say use as many of your cals as you can PWO for food that is actually going to help you recover immediately.

When I do a solid food PWO, I do jasmine/white rice instead. 1/4 cup of rice is only 10-20 cals more than a 1/2 cup of oats, and all those cals are from carbs that will immediately be used to replenish muscle glycogen and help me recover. Then have a nice solid meal not too long afterwards of something obviously lower GI and slower digesting.

Just my two cents, if it works for you by all means you should continue to do it :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was wondering if it would be better to use oatmeal in my shake post w/o instead of eating a med bagel or 50g of maltidextrin for helping with leaning out some dont have any sugar other then 1 1/2c low fat milk and banana for a mid morn snack and apple pre w/o (not every day)and if so should i take leucine before hand?
As long as your NUTRITION is set up for YOU for fat loss, you're going to lean out.

Re post-training meals - this is your most IMPORTANT meal of the day, IMO, and therefore you do what you have to. Because it IS post-training, your body is going to "manage" what you have better, and it will go towards recovery.

You can use oats in a post-training shake, yes. Having simple sugar post-training helps re glycogen replenishment. Make sure that you also have a PROPER MEAL within 60 minutes of finishing training for optimal recovery.

No need to take Leucine - this is entirely up to you.

~Rosie~

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
i just want to see if i'll get some more energy with the oats instead of a crash i do eat about 45min later give or take which has about 40g carbs

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
i just want to see if i'll get some more energy with the oats instead of a crash i do eat about 45min later give or take which has about 40g carbs
Holy run on sentence. If I had a red pen right now! I had a hard time trying to understand what you were saying. Just messing with you. I don't foresee oats giving your more energy. What do you mean when you say you crash? What time frame also? It could be something in your diet from the mornings, such as caffeine intake, or lack there of.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
if i take maltidextrin i feel it wear off in about 15min and i work out around 430pm get up at 530 cardio for30 and eat

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
if i take maltidextrin i feel it wear off in about 15min and i work out around 430pm get up at 530 cardio for30 and eat
How much sleep are you getting at night? Personally I could never wake up extra early and do cardio, then lift about 12 hours later. That would lead myself to fatigue. Do you have to option to do cardio after working out?

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
yeah ive just always did something like this in mornings for like 3yrs its not really cardio but i do jump on tread or ell for like 15min after weights to cooldown

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Oats aren't as slow digesting as you may think..