Paleo Diet

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by plenny View Post
    Funny, but serious question. Is that why cavemen had ugly teeth, from lack of calcium? where does the calcium come from in this diet??
    Broccoli, can salmon, leafy vegtables(kale has more calcium per oz then milk), Almonds(and a large assortment of other nuts) all have abundant amounts of calcium. No lack of it on the diet.....
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

2. Quote Originally Posted by plenny View Post
    Funny, but serious question. Is that why cavemen had ugly teeth, from lack of calcium? where does the calcium come from in this diet??
    No one knows what caveman teeth looked like. Those are just arts and drawings and stereotypical pictures. If they did have rotten teeth though, I'm sure it was due to lack of a toothbrush.

Eggs, green beans, and broccoli all have sufficient amounts of calcium in them though.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
    •   

3. this has peaked my interest, i did some reading on the paleo diet today and looks pretty simple to implement. i think i'm gonna give this a shot also.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    this has peaked my interest, i did some reading on the paleo diet today and looks pretty simple to implement. i think i'm gonna give this a shot also.
    Looking forward to hearing/seeing your progress on it bigsexy.

5. those teeth were also used to chew a variety of rough wild berries/twigs, gnaw on bones. they didnt have a way to brush, besides eating vegetables that help keep your teeth clean. finally, teeth are somewhat vulnerable by design, enamel deteriorates over time leaving the tooth to rot.

also, paleo diet is a little difficult in the first week. because of the rapid carb depletion you will feel what people call "low carb flu". body is just switching to oxidize more fats for energy. plus without grains there is no big fluctuation in blood sugar. make sure to cut grains entirely, it will ease the process.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    those teeth were also used to chew a variety of rough wild berries/twigs, gnaw on bones. they didnt have a way to brush, besides eating vegetables that help keep your teeth clean. finally, teeth are somewhat vulnerable by design, enamel deteriorates over time leaving the tooth to rot.

also, paleo diet is a little difficult in the first week. because of the rapid carb depletion you will feel what people call "low carb flu". body is just switching to oxidize more fats for energy. plus without grains there is no big fluctuation in blood sugar. make sure to cut grains entirely, it will ease the process.
    The first 10 days or so are awful. I always feel lethargic and drag big time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

7. i plan on cutting out all grains at once but wouldn't the carbs from the fruit(albeit not as many carbs) help the carb depletion? the menu plan i have laid out has fruit for 3 out the 6 meals and veggies in the last 3.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    i plan on cutting out all grains at once but wouldn't the carbs from the fruit(albeit not as many carbs) help the carb depletion? the menu plan i have laid out has fruit for 3 out the 6 meals and veggies in the last 3.
    Somewhat, but there's still a precipitous drop in carb consumption.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

9. i will be sitting at around 125g of carbs for the day. Too many or too little? I cannot find anything really definitive.

10. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    those teeth were also used to chew a variety of rough wild berries/twigs, gnaw on bones. they didnt have a way to brush, besides eating vegetables that help keep your teeth clean. finally, teeth are somewhat vulnerable by design, enamel deteriorates over time leaving the tooth to rot.

that is good to know. i am stocking up on food for my cut, and i have no problem cutting grains meat is always my favorite part of a meal, and i love fruits and veggies but i love cheese lol.. that will be a weak spot for me. lol
    NTBM Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

11. Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    i will be sitting at around 125g of carbs for the day. Too many or too little? I cannot find anything really definitive.
    no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.

12. Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    that is good to know. i am stocking up on food for my cut, and i have no problem cutting grains meat is always my favorite part of a meal, and i love fruits and veggies but i love cheese lol.. that will be a weak spot for me. lol
    yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?

13. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?
    I think it is, actually.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

14. hahaha true, i just always tend to want non paleo food if i burn

15. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    hahaha true, i just always tend to want non paleo food if i burn
    Haha. One of the dudes I train with actually likes to eat broccoli and almonds while high.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.
    Seems he preaches a slight modification of paleo. The whole butter and bacon allowance throws me off from the other things I've read from Wolf and Cordain.

17. wow really surprised to see a paleo interest here. I first learned about it though a strength coach and then when I looked it up I found alot of references to it on crossfit sites. I bought the cordain book on paleo diet but yet to read it. Glad to hear about it again, I need to go dust that book off and give it a look though. Last time I was at barnes and noble I was looking though some raw foods and vegan cookbooks. I dont really subscribe to any of them but think to add some of their beliefs throughout your diet wouldnt be a bad idea. Not everymeal has to be cooked and not every meal contain animal products right..
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

18. i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
    - what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??
    NTBM Line @ NUTRAPLANET

19. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    well see ive decided to go no herb for the time im on paleo, and saving it for when im on keto cuz i know myself, if i get the munchies and wanna eat some cheese im GONNA lol

so yeah i feel your pain.

muenster, pepper jack... provolone... MMMMMMM

FAWK! today is my first day of paleo lets not talk about cheese anymore
    NTBM Line @ NUTRAPLANET

20. Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
    - what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??

dont worry about freezing fruit, it will keep for a while in the fridge even if it starts looking a lil beat up. as long as its not moldy or weird color you are good.

i use primarily coconut oil to eat and butter to cook with. anything with a good saturated fat profile is basically what you want. only vegetable oil allowed is olive oil, its polyunsaturated but has a ton of good qualities.

ground beef is different anywhere you go. conventional ground beef isnt very applealing, mostly whole animal carcasses ground up. who knows whats in there and who knows how safe is the meat. if you go to Whole Foods, they have grass fed ground beef for like 6$ which is different, they take their grass fed chuck and other trimmings and ground that all up. big difference there.

tubers are okay at different times of the day, unles you are low carbing. there isnt many issues with them and theyll help to keep your glycogen full.

21. Ok I need a little help. I have to pt every morning. I usually drink a serving of purple wraath pre and then a small 170 cal protein bar post. About 300 cals worth of nuts mid morning. Lunch is usually a mid size salad, quarter of a rotisserie chicken and 2 pieces of sliced brisket (I trim the fat off to the best of my abilities) and whatever veggies I can find and then fruit. Dinner is usually the same as lunch. I havent been able to read as much of the original paleo book as I'd like to lately due to class but is this even remotely acceptable? Thanks guys.
    "Complacency is mediocrity"
    Follow my Lecheek nutrition log here!: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/194958-panthers-path-cup.html#post3256104

22. Other than the protein bar, yes, but also leave the fat on the brisket. Your body needs it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

23. Ok. What can I substitute for the bar? Fruit cups? They're just so convenient when I get out of pt at 7 and have class at 830.
    Follow my Lecheek nutrition log here!: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/194958-panthers-path-cup.html#post3256104

24. Quote Originally Posted by pantherdude63 View Post
    Ok. What can I substitute for the bar? Fruit cups? They're just so convenient when I get out of pt at 7 and have class at 830.
    Egg/beef protein shake with some fruit.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

25. Quote Originally Posted by pantherdude63 View Post
    Ok. What can I substitute for the bar? Fruit cups? They're just so convenient when I get out of pt at 7 and have class at 830.
    a few hard boiled eggs would be convenient and portable as well.

26. i've been eating hard boiled eggs if i need a quick snack. i know it says to not eat alot of eggs but, to me it's something that would've been eaten regularly back then. energy hasn't been too bad. overall a pretty simple plan to follow, im digging it so far.

27. Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    i've been eating hard boiled eggs if i need a quick snack. i know it says to not eat alot of eggs but, to me it's something that would've been eaten regularly back then. energy hasn't been too bad. overall a pretty simple plan to follow, im digging it so far.
    From everything I've heard/read, whole eggs are a staple and a must for Paleo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

28. i eat 6 - 10 eggs daily, especially now on paleo

eggs are one of the best protein sources ever
    NTBM Line @ NUTRAPLANET

29. eggs FTW

30. I can honestly say I've never had a hard boiled egg lol looks like that'll change. It's amazing what you're willing to try for a diet. I never really cared for veggies until like 2 years ago. Then I'd eat a little every now and then, and I still hated salad. Now that I'm in college and have a great cafeteria that has basically everything available, all that has changed. It still blows my mind though that my fellow students would rather eat burger king even with all that available AND they're somehow lean (I guess the term would be skinny since they arent muscular) Damn genetics..
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA's on Paleo Diet
    By youngandfree in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
  2. Paleo Diet / 5x5 / 12lbs 6 months
    By depwned in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM
  3. the paleo diet
    By bulltest01 in forum Nutrition / Health