Paleo Diet

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    i will be sitting at around 125g of carbs for the day. Too many or too little? I cannot find anything really definitive.
    no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    that is good to know. i am stocking up on food for my cut, and i have no problem cutting grains meat is always my favorite part of a meal, and i love fruits and veggies but i love cheese lol.. that will be a weak spot for me. lol
    yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    yea cheese is not paleo, its actually the most acidic thing you can eat. its probably the food i miss the most. i used to devour muenster cheese. it was probably because i was always blazed too..hm so herb is not paleo?
    I think it is, actually.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

hahaha true, i just always tend to want non paleo food if i burn
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

hahaha true, i just always tend to want non paleo food if i burn
    Haha. One of the dudes I train with actually likes to eat broccoli and almonds while high.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

no thats good. the guy ive been reading (www.marksdailyapple.com) has a graph where he shows 150-180 as lean tissue maintenance. as long as they are not grains or processed sugars, carbs are alright.
    Seems he preaches a slight modification of paleo. The whole butter and bacon allowance throws me off from the other things I've read from Wolf and Cordain.
    ~ Nothing can kill the Grimace!!

7. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

wow really surprised to see a paleo interest here. I first learned about it though a strength coach and then when I looked it up I found alot of references to it on crossfit sites. I bought the cordain book on paleo diet but yet to read it. Glad to hear about it again, I need to go dust that book off and give it a look though. Last time I was at barnes and noble I was looking though some raw foods and vegan cookbooks. I dont really subscribe to any of them but think to add some of their beliefs throughout your diet wouldnt be a bad idea. Not everymeal has to be cooked and not every meal contain animal products right..
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
    - what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

well see ive decided to go no herb for the time im on paleo, and saving it for when im on keto cuz i know myself, if i get the munchies and wanna eat some cheese im GONNA lol

so yeah i feel your pain.

muenster, pepper jack... provolone... MMMMMMM

FAWK! today is my first day of paleo lets not talk about cheese anymore
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    i think the rule of thumb for vegetables for example is that they must be able to be eaten raw, but it doesnt have to be raw. so things like legumes (beans,etc) should be avoided.

thats my understanding anyway.. but ive got a couple of questions so ill bump it. im strapped for cash or id be buying some books...

- do you freeze fruit? I bought a lot and dont think ill eat it in a couple of days lol
    - what oils do you use? ive seen mixed reviews on peanut oils, but see that coconut and palm are used? am i correct there??

theres a local produce grocery in my town and they sell locally grown and raised meats and produce and i was wondering if ground beef is ok, i mean like 93/7 lean beef for example

and tubers are to be avoided unless its consumed around a workout right??

dont worry about freezing fruit, it will keep for a while in the fridge even if it starts looking a lil beat up. as long as its not moldy or weird color you are good.

i use primarily coconut oil to eat and butter to cook with. anything with a good saturated fat profile is basically what you want. only vegetable oil allowed is olive oil, its polyunsaturated but has a ton of good qualities.

ground beef is different anywhere you go. conventional ground beef isnt very applealing, mostly whole animal carcasses ground up. who knows whats in there and who knows how safe is the meat. if you go to Whole Foods, they have grass fed ground beef for like 6$ which is different, they take their grass fed chuck and other trimmings and ground that all up. big difference there.

tubers are okay at different times of the day, unles you are low carbing. there isnt many issues with them and theyll help to keep your glycogen full.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Ok I need a little help. I have to pt every morning. I usually drink a serving of purple wraath pre and then a small 170 cal protein bar post. About 300 cals worth of nuts mid morning. Lunch is usually a mid size salad, quarter of a rotisserie chicken and 2 pieces of sliced brisket (I trim the fat off to the best of my abilities) and whatever veggies I can find and then fruit. Dinner is usually the same as lunch. I havent been able to read as much of the original paleo book as I'd like to lately due to class but is this even remotely acceptable? Thanks guys.
    "Complacency is mediocrity"
    Follow my Lecheek nutrition log here!: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/194958-panthers-path-cup.html#post3256104
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Other than the protein bar, yes, but also leave the fat on the brisket. Your body needs it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Ok. What can I substitute for the bar? Fruit cups? They're just so convenient when I get out of pt at 7 and have class at 830.
    Follow my Lecheek nutrition log here!: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/194958-panthers-path-cup.html#post3256104
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pantherdude63 View Post
    Ok. What can I substitute for the bar? Fruit cups? They're just so convenient when I get out of pt at 7 and have class at 830.
    Egg/beef protein shake with some fruit.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

a few hard boiled eggs would be convenient and portable as well.

16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  248 lbs.
    Answers

i've been eating hard boiled eggs if i need a quick snack. i know it says to not eat alot of eggs but, to me it's something that would've been eaten regularly back then. energy hasn't been too bad. overall a pretty simple plan to follow, im digging it so far.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy74 View Post
    i've been eating hard boiled eggs if i need a quick snack. i know it says to not eat alot of eggs but, to me it's something that would've been eaten regularly back then. energy hasn't been too bad. overall a pretty simple plan to follow, im digging it so far.
    From everything I've heard/read, whole eggs are a staple and a must for Paleo.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Answers

i eat 6 - 10 eggs daily, especially now on paleo

eggs are one of the best protein sources ever
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

eggs FTW
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Answers

I can honestly say I've never had a hard boiled egg lol looks like that'll change. It's amazing what you're willing to try for a diet. I never really cared for veggies until like 2 years ago. Then I'd eat a little every now and then, and I still hated salad. Now that I'm in college and have a great cafeteria that has basically everything available, all that has changed. It still blows my mind though that my fellow students would rather eat burger king even with all that available AND they're somehow lean (I guess the term would be skinny since they arent muscular) Damn genetics..
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Don't worry about your 6:3 ratio if you're following strict paleo. The people that usually have to worry are those eating typical crap.

I find whey to be no problem because it isn't acid causing like casein is and has very low incidence of allergy.

Most people eating paleo forget to get the monounsaturated oils. I still like to shoot for 1/3 saturated, 1/3 poly, 1/3 mono. I use macadamia nuts to keep this balance. They are also basic on the PRAL scores.

Just eat whole, unprocessed foods and supplement with fish oil. If you're trying lose bodyfat, keep fruits minimal and tubers to post workout. If you're maintaining, you can loosen it up a little. Always eat lots of veggies and greens. Eat when you're hungry and get obsessed with measuring food.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I can honestly say I've never had a hard boiled egg lol looks like that'll change. It's amazing what you're willing to try for a diet. I never really cared for veggies until like 2 years ago. Then I'd eat a little every now and then, and I still hated salad. Now that I'm in college and have a great cafeteria that has basically everything available, all that has changed. It still blows my mind though that my fellow students would rather eat burger king even with all that available AND they're somehow lean (I guess the term would be skinny since they arent muscular) Damn genetics..
    bro those kids are young, everyone is skinny when they first come to college. next year you wont even recognize some of those girls. dudes grow a huge gut in a few years. remember them now and check their facebook pictures in a couple years. freshman 15 is now the freshman 50
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Anton started talking to me about this diet a few weeks back and referred me to a website. I've done a bunch of reading and I don't think I'm going to jump in completly, but I am making some modifications to my current diet. I eat Go Lean every morning with nuts and protein, I'm also a big fan of WPI.
    But this has def made me look harder at my diet and my take on carbs all around. Good reading and thank you guys for posting your ideas!
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Carbs aren't bad, grains are. I have an athlete, a weightlifter, that trains 6x a week. He eats 95% paleo, always grain free. He eats several sweet potatoes a day along with a ton of raisins and fresh fruits. He needs to stay at 94 kg and he does.

The paleo reason for fruits > grains is two fold. First, fruits don't cause acid production in the kidneys. Second, fruits have more nutrients per calorie than grains do.

The reason the paleo community shies away from fruit has to do with the high sugar content of modern fruits. Too much fructose, even the natural kind, messes up lipids in the blood. The thing that I think is wrong about the paleo diet, is the fear that 3-5 pieces/servings of fruit will have this effect. At most, you're consuming 150g from carbs in a day from fruit. That's a lot of fruit. All the research done on fructose causing problems has been in huge doses of ONLY fructose at a time, usually 100g or more. If you sat down and ate 5-6 bananas, yeah, you might have some problems. But lets be serious here, fruit isn't easy to pound back. There will always be that one person who is the exception to the rule, but I still believe that fruit is just fine as long as you're getting enough protein and fats in the diet also.
  25. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wearedbleedblue View Post
    Carbs aren't bad, grains are. I have an athlete, a weightlifter, that trains 6x a week. He eats 95% paleo, always grain free. He eats several sweet potatoes a day along with a ton of raisins and fresh fruits. He needs to stay at 94 kg and he does.

The paleo reason for fruits > grains is two fold. First, fruits don't cause acid production in the kidneys. Second, fruits have more nutrients per calorie than grains do.

The reason the paleo community shies away from fruit has to do with the high sugar content of modern fruits. Too much fructose, even the natural kind, messes up lipids in the blood. The thing that I think is wrong about the paleo diet, is the fear that 3-5 pieces/servings of fruit will have this effect. At most, you're consuming 150g from carbs in a day from fruit. That's a lot of fruit. All the research done on fructose causing problems has been in huge doses of ONLY fructose at a time, usually 100g or more. If you sat down and ate 5-6 bananas, yeah, you might have some problems. But lets be serious here, fruit isn't easy to pound back. There will always be that one person who is the exception to the rule, but I still believe that fruit is just fine as long as you're getting enough protein and fats in the diet also.
    what macro ratio do you keep your athlete at and what are his goals while on the diet?

Also, does anybody schedule replenishment days similar to a ckd diet or do you tend to just stick with paleo 7X24?

26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I eat a cheat meal once a week, usually a gluten free pizza and gluten free chocolate dome shared with my gf.

I don't keep any solid macros with the athlete. I make sure he eats a 6-10oz portion of meat with each meal. He's in Australia now so he's eating a lot more lamb. I like him to get at least 2x as much volume of vegetables as the meat he eats with the meal. He goes through 1-2 avocados a day, 1-2 sweet potatoes, couple pieces of fruit, sometimes some wild rice. Cooks things in butter or olive/coconut oil. He eats 4-6 eggs a day on average. I allow him some dark chocolate until he's 2-3 weeks out of a competition.

His goals are to maintain at 94kg while increasing his snatch and c&j. We don't use it as a "diet" per se, its his way of eating. He's been paleo compliant for about 10 months now. He's currently putting about 5kg a month on his total while doing the lifts 6x a week at varying percentages. After he competes at collegiate nationals next year we're going to reassess whether or not he'll make the move to 105kg. He's relatively tall for a lifter (6'1") so we're most likely going to try to bring him to 105 (about 235lbs) on a paleo + milk diet.
  27. Registered User
    Answers

Have any of you guys undertaken a serious lean bulk while on a Paleo diet? I'm an extreme fast-metabolism ectomorph and hardgainer and was getting all set to starting bulking again as I usually do (tons of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs from grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) when I came across some very convincing articles about the benefits of "going Paleo". My only reservations were that most advice seemed oriented towards people who were out of shape and mindlessly consuming the SAD (Standard American Diet). That's certainly not my case.

I'm in excellent athletic condition from a strength/speed/power standpoint and eat very clean as is. I've never had any issues with the heavy grain consumption in my current diet and am generally in great health. In fact I am almost never sick and can't even remember the last time I had so much as a cold. I guess you could say there's nothing really wrong with my current situation other than that it's extremely difficult for me to add muscle mass.

With that said, I was recently reading up on the Paleo diet and it looks like there's some convincing science behind it from a general health stand point. I'm tempted to try a Paleo+Dairy diet as, aside from the cutting out grains bit, it's basically how I eat now (tons of lean protein from natural/organic/grass-fed meat, lots of organic fruits/veggies, tons of organic milk, yogurt, kefit, etc very little processed foods).

My only concern is that the only way I can ever bulk is to consume massive amounts of calories. My metabolism is forever in overdrive and being a naturally small-framed ecto to begin with my body is much happier shedding muscle than it is gaining it.

To give you guys some perspective, I'm just over 5' 9" and weighted around 140 lbs when I started lifting. When my training was primarily focused on strength/power and heavy lifts I bulked up to around 175 lbs (without ever leaving my constant body fat range of 6% - 8%) over the course of several years. Now that I've been doing a lot more MMA, boxing, and super intensive full body training I'm down to 163 lbs again and looking for the healthiest possible way to gain 15 - 20 pounds of lean mass without sacrificing my athleticism (before anyone chimes in to tell me how crazy this goal is - yes, I realize it will take a year or more of dedicated eating, training, and proper rest).

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone successfully added significant lean muscle mass while adhering to a Paleo diet (or variant thereof)?

2. For those who've tried various forms of Paleo diets (i.e Paleo+dairy, Paleo w/cheat days, etc) - which was most effective for you in terms of athletic performance and mass gain?

3. What changes to your athletic performance, strength, energy levels, etc did you notice after making the Paleo shift?

Thanks in advance for any useful replies.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Without drugs it will take you 4-5 years to put on that much true lean mass. If you're going to try to do it paleo, eat lots of fruit and sweet potatoes in addition to the regular paleo faire.
  29. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

So I was looking for a product that would make eating and snacking 5-6 X day a little bit easier yet still match up to the paleo/low carb style of diet and I stumbled upon these MRP bars:

http://questproteinbar.com/ingredients.html

Ingredient profile looks solid for paleo just not sure were Chicory root fits in lol. Thoughts....
  30. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    So I was looking for a product that would make eating and snacking 5-6 X day a little bit easier yet still match up to the paleo/low carb style of diet and I stumbled upon these MRP bars:

http://questproteinbar.com/ingredients.html

Ingredient profile looks solid for paleo just not sure were Chicory root fits in lol. Thoughts....
    there is a ad on the super human radio show for some free bars. I filled out the form a couple days ago and waiting for them to come in. Go to the site and order yours. No shipping fees either. Also not sure where chicory root falls but it looks like a fiber and from a green plant. I dont think they are grains. As for if the bar is paleo or not I think the splenda in the bar is what will make it non-paleo. FYI hard boiled eggs are a great paleo snack! and A LOT CHEAPER than protein bars
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  31. Idiot Savant
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    there is a ad on the super human radio show for some free bars. I filled out the form a couple days ago and waiting for them to come in. Go to the site and order yours. No shipping fees either. Also not sure where chicory root falls but it looks like a fiber and from a green plant. I dont think they are grains. As for if the bar is paleo or not I think the splenda in the bar is what will make it non-paleo. FYI hard boiled eggs are a great paleo snack! and A LOT CHEAPER than protein bars
    I like the way you think sir. Just don't won't to fix anymore eggs if I don't have too lol. I like the nutritional profile of the bars overall though, seems like a good match for a low carbesque diet. But you are right with the splenda making it not paleo
  32. Registered User
    Answers

I'm very interested in the paleo diet, but when i went to amazon to buy the book i noticed there were 2 different books by 2 different authors. 1 was called the paleo diet and the other was the paleo solution. Are they basically the same thing??
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    I'm very interested in the paleo diet, but when i went to amazon to buy the book i noticed there were 2 different books by 2 different authors. 1 was called the paleo diet and the other was the paleo solution. Are they basically the same thing??
    you should get this book instead:

http://primalblueprint.com/products/...Blueprint.html

this guy rules
    BJJ = life
  34. Registered User
    Answers

you should get this book instead:

http://primalblueprint.com/products/...Blueprint.html

this guy rules
    Are you trying to confuse me even more?
  35. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Loren Cordain is the guy that does most of the research on Paleo. He also is the author of the book Paleo Diet for Athletes. That book and the book by Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint are the two I'd recommend.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Loren Cordain is the guy that does most of the research on Paleo. He also is the author of the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes." That book and the book by Mark Sisson, "The Primal Blueprint" are the two I'd recommend.
    Thank you for the reply. But if you needed to pick just 1 which would it be. For the typical reasons i want to keep most of my lean muscle but drop some bodyfat ect..ect..ect..
  37. Registered User
    Answers

Only because i'm going to buy one right now.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Answers

in that case you should definitely go with the Primal Blueprint. the Paleo for atheletes is for geared more towards the endurance athelete looking to maximize athletic performance. Primal Blueprint will explain to you the full benefits of the diet and how all the food groups work, etc. get the Blueprint
    BJJ = life
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

You can easily find an ebook of both.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  40. Registered User
    Answers

in that case you should definitely go with the Primal Blueprint. the Paleo for atheletes is for geared more towards the endurance athelete looking to maximize athletic performance. Primal Blueprint will explain to you the full benefits of the diet and how all the food groups work, etc. get the Blueprint
    Excellent, Thank You Sir.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. BCAA's on Paleo Diet
    By youngandfree in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
  2. Paleo Diet / 5x5 / 12lbs 6 months
    By depwned in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 01:08 AM
  3. the paleo diet