brothers help! am i severely overtrained??

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Ok im trying to figure out if im just overtrained or is there something else wrong. Ive been training very hard too often. just last week friday i lifted heavy, saturday 2.5 hrs muay thai, sunday lifted very heavy, monday was excessive i did at least 3.5 hrs muay thai because i was off from work... tuesday i woke up dead. i got much less energy, strength is way down, go no drive and feels like test is non existant. im not a super high test guy to begin with but now i feel like a 80 yr old man.

anyone ever do this to themselves? how long did it take to bounce back? im not too worried about it but i just didnt think i was training too much. any feedback is appreciated..

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok im trying to figure out if im just overtrained or is there something else wrong. Ive been training very hard too often. just last week friday i lifted heavy, saturday 2.5 hrs muay thai, sunday lifted very heavy, monday was excessive i did at least 3.5 hrs muay thai because i was off from work... tuesday i woke up dead. i got much less energy, strength is way down, go no drive and feels like test is non existant. im not a super high test guy to begin with but now i feel like a 80 yr old man.

anyone ever do this to themselves? how long did it take to bounce back? im not too worried about it but i just didnt think i was training too much. any feedback is appreciated..
First, wrong section.

Second, just sounds like a brief period of overreaching to me (and yes, there is a huge difference between overreaching and overtraining). If you're NOT used to training like that, then yes, it IS going to tax and fatigue your body somewhat. You need to make sure that you schedule in days off, even if you ARE used to training like that as well.

If you're not eating enough and training that much, then you could just be energy depleted and need to make sure that you eat enough to refuel yourself, and especially ON your training days.

If it's a simple matter of overreaching or not eating enough, then you should be fine in a few days. Make sure you give yourself adequate time to recover and replenish your glycogen stores.

~Team APPNUT

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Time for a refeed Paleo style. This is mainly what I was referring to when I said that you can't eat straight Paleo and train this much. Every 2-3 days, eat some sweet potatoes with honey or raisins along with your lean protein.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Time for a refeed Paleo style. This is mainly what I was referring to when I said that you can't eat straight Paleo and train this much. Every 2-3 days, eat some sweet potatoes with honey or raisins along with your lean protein.
yeah i actually started doing the same thing you do post workout, red potatoes mashed with garlic, butter, etc. the drop in energy isnt as bad as the drop in test, i feel like all my free test is gone. i feel like id have enough energy right now to power through a workout but how do you explain this absence of test/drive/motivation??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah i actually started doing the same thing you do post workout, red potatoes mashed with garlic, butter, etc. the drop in energy isnt as bad as the drop in test, i feel like all my free test is gone. i feel like id have enough energy right now to power through a workout but how do you explain this absence of test/drive/motivation??
The CNS is generally about a week behind the body and it'll take a few days of a caloric surplus to correct this. Take a few days off and refeed.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you just over-worked yourself. When I've taxed my CNS, I've felt the same way. Rest,and food will get you back up and kicking ass.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys thats what im gonna do. got this huge tattoo on my side finally filled in so cant really exercise for awhile anyway

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just for laughs

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrF_UjhdxWg"]YouTube- ‪Supplement You May Be Missing‬‎[/nomedia]

remember that even in paleo diets, there were the root vegetables.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ah cant watch it at work. yea im all for root vegetables, im gonna get my potatoes on as soon as i get home

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that guy is refreshingly straightforwards, and does understand biochemistry pretty well. He was talking about high protein diets and how gluconeogenesis ends up with most of the proteins acting like carbs anyhow, except causing more liver + kidney strain in the process.

mav6

mav6

Awards
Just sounds like overtraining. How often does this happen? You have to be careful to temper recovery with training. I find that people put 100% into their training and about 10% into their recovery. Do you do ice baths after training? How much sleep are you getting? Deep tissue massage? Contrast showers? Do you track your resting heart rate? All those things are major factors in managing overtraining.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but a word to the wise... Too much overtraining for too long can lead to serious problems. I was preparing for a spec ops program and kept training like nothing was wrong. I eventually found myself in an endocrinologist's office getting cosyntropin stimulation tests, cortisol measurements, all that great stuff because I just kept pushing till my body started breaking down. It took months off to recover. Best to take the time off early when you first start feeling it and manage your recovery so you can come back quickly.

Good luck to you!

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Just sounds like overtraining. How often does this happen? You have to be careful to temper recovery with training. I find that people put 100% into their training and about 10% into their recovery. Do you do ice baths after training? How much sleep are you getting? Deep tissue massage? Contrast showers? Do you track your resting heart rate? All those things are major factors in managing overtraining.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but a word to the wise... Too much overtraining for too long can lead to serious problems. I was preparing for a spec ops program and kept training like nothing was wrong. I eventually found myself in an endocrinologist's office getting cosyntropin stimulation tests, cortisol measurements, all that great stuff because I just kept pushing till my body started breaking down. It took months off to recover. Best to take the time off early when you first start feeling it and manage your recovery so you can come back quickly.

Good luck to you!
thanks for good advice brother! i think im realizing it now that its the lack of sleep that really did me in. i wake up at 615 for work so its a pain in the a$$ to get 8-9 hours so im constantly deprived + overtraining. one good night of sleep last night and im already feeling much better. im just gonna eat a lot for the next week or so and just sleep. training can wait

mav6

mav6

Awards
thanks for good advice brother! i think im realizing it now that its the lack of sleep that really did me in. i wake up at 615 for work so its a pain in the a$$ to get 8-9 hours so im constantly deprived + overtraining. one good night of sleep last night and im already feeling much better. im just gonna eat a lot for the next week or so and just sleep. training can wait
Yeah, definitely never underestimate the power of sleep. A few years back the Army did a test on artillery squads and sleep deprivation. For 30 days, every waking moment they fired firing missions. One group was allotted 8 hours for sleep, one got 6, and one got 4. In 30 days, only the group getting 8 hours of sleep was still effective. The 6 hour group was slower, but still functioning, and the 4 hour group was completely useless.

Depending on your work load, sometimes it's better to train a little less in order to get a few more hours of sleep.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yep, rest up until you feel 100%...and don't lie to yourself. Take choline and GH boosters to speed recovery.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
im going to get bloodwork done, maybe there is something else going on on top of this.

mav6

mav6

Awards
im going to get bloodwork done, maybe there is something else going on on top of this.
Probably a wise choice. I'm not suggesting this in place of bloodwork, but as an addition, you might want to get your saliva tested to figure out your cortisol profile. You do 4 samples at different times of the day and then you can get an idea on how your cortisol level fluctuates throughout the day.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Probably a wise choice. I'm not suggesting this in place of bloodwork, but as an addition, you might want to get your saliva tested to figure out your cortisol profile. You do 4 samples at different times of the day and then you can get an idea on how your cortisol level fluctuates throughout the day.
did u have such a serious dip in test as a result of overtraining? how long did you rest before it returned to normal?

mav6

mav6

Awards
did u have such a serious dip in test as a result of overtraining? how long did you rest before it returned to normal?
T levels crashed, cortisol levels were dangerously high. I would say conservatively, it took 5 months before I started even feeling normal again. And maybe 7 months before I could train normal. Your adrenal glands do some phenomenal things, but you can only push so hard for so long. And now, I may be still experiencing after effects. I fractured my tibia in May, and then as soon as that healed, I broke my metatarsals. One doc suggested that the long term overtraining may have actually demineralized my bones. If that's the case, who knows how much longer till I'm truly back to normal.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
T levels crashed, cortisol levels were dangerously high. I would say conservatively, it took 5 months before I started even feeling normal again. And maybe 7 months before I could train normal. Your adrenal glands do some phenomenal things, but you can only push so hard for so long. And now, I may be still experiencing after effects. I fractured my tibia in May, and then as soon as that healed, I broke my metatarsals. One doc suggested that the long term overtraining may have actually demineralized my bones. If that's the case, who knows how much longer till I'm truly back to normal.
wow bro thats serious, I hope you recover completely. what kind of a insane workout schedule/absence of rest did you subject yourself to?

i usually take days off here and there but I feel like not getting full sleep is what really ran me down. i dont remember last time i slept for 8+ hours for a week straight, and ive been training as hard as i can for a long time

mav6

mav6

Awards
wow bro thats serious, I hope you recover completely. what kind of a insane workout schedule/absence of rest did you subject yourself to?

i usually take days off here and there but I feel like not getting full sleep is what really ran me down. i dont remember last time i slept for 8+ hours for a week straight, and ive been training as hard as i can for a long time
Tons of ruck marching. 165 pound pack for shorter distances, nothing under 80 even for the longest distances. Miles and miles of swimming and even more running. To top it off, more PT than you'd ever want to do. Then, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I spent my "rest" days doing boxing, BJJ, and MMA. Couple that kind of training volume with 3-5 hours of sleep a night for months on end, there you have it, a perfect recipe for disaster.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Did you do any light training during that period? Also, if I may ask, how old were you at the time?

mav6

mav6

Awards
Did you do any light training during that period? Also, if I may ask, how old were you at the time?
This all just happened the past year, so 25 when it started and I'm 26 now and just finally getting out of the tailspin.

The doc basically told me that if I didn't stop training, I would cause permanent damage to my body. My cortisol level was 24 ug/dl, and I believe 3 ug/dl is considered normal. On top of that, my WBC was down like I had some kind of immune disorder. Natually, I didn't take the doc seriously and tried to continue with just strength work and nothing more. Then when bones started breaking, it was a real wake up call. Sustained high levels of cortisol are just as damaging to the body as sustained high levels of cortisone. Think about it this way, the doc gives you a cortisone shot so you can go out and finish training, but you know that the cortisone is actually weakening the tissues in that area. When your cortisol is topped out, it's like having cortisone through your whole body.