Is there any healthy microwavable food?

drvinnybombat

Awards
There are times when I cant cook a decent meal. Recently I got microwavable meatballs from Ikea, and they were not bad. Is there any microwavable like chicken nugget or something that's not going to suck nutrition-wise.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There are times when I cant cook a decent meal. Recently I got microwavable meatballs from Ikea, and they were not bad. Is there any microwavable like chicken nugget or something that's not going to suck nutrition-wise.
You could always look at the ingredient profile lol..

Shane0Mac

Awards
microwaveable chicken. tastes just like roasted and its really moist. i had some tonight

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Considering the microwave destroys food, even if you put broccoli in.. By the time it's done it'll be virtually useless nutritionally.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
One major rule with microwaving....Use glass containers. Alot of talk about plastics leeching into the food. Also, I try to avoid the microwave, but for a quick reheat 15-20 seconds wont make your food useless.

The key thing I do is go with cold meals for work usually. And as for it making the food useless, improbable. I have used very healthy microwave meals and grew well!

That being said, I am trying to get them to let me bring an extension cord and let me use my georgeforman grill at work :D

I used to use a foreman grill for lunch at one job. 90% lean beef patties with cottage cheese, flaxseed whole grain bread, green beans, and a cup of green tea.

I was envied. Then again I also did dips on chairs, and push ups for my breaks back then...

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
One major rule with microwaving....Use glass containers. Alot of talk about plastics leeching into the food. Also, I try to avoid the microwave, but for a quick reheat 15-20 seconds wont make your food useless.

The key thing I do is go with cold meals for work usually. And as for it making the food useless, improbable. I have used very healthy microwave meals and grew well!

That being said, I am trying to get them to let me bring an extension cord and let me use my georgeforman grill at work :D

I used to use a foreman grill for lunch at one job. 90% lean beef patties with cottage cheese, flaxseed whole grain bread, green beans, and a cup of green tea.

I was envied. Then again I also did dips on chairs, and push ups for my breaks back then...
That sounds like pretty much the best lunch break ever. Except sex.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
jesus, well is it possible to cook chicken of a morning then eat it cold at lunch time? Im sure it is just pretty awful tasting... dont want to wilt up over here.. But the post about whatever you microwave becomes useless nutritionally is retarded, im sure it degrades somewhat but to call it useless is a bit of an overstatement dont you think?

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
jesus, well is it possible to cook chicken of a morning then eat it cold at lunch time? Im sure it is just pretty awful tasting... dont want to wilt up over here.. But the post about whatever you microwave becomes useless nutritionally is retarded, im sure it degrades somewhat but to call it useless is a bit of an overstatement dont you think?
I never called it useless if you were referring to me lol... It has its uses...like target practice for instance. Seriously though the way food tastes from a microwave whether thawing or cooking is disgusting in so many ways. Unless your using microwaveable porcelain or comparable (even cheap glass can leech substances)
than you are getting more than you want and less than you need. Why does food taste so gross when it is microwaved? If it is just heating it up, why does it taste like **** and not the normal delicious way the food should taste? I personally don't use one. I thaw my meat out and cook it the right damn way. If your in a dorm, buy the rocket grill or something...learn how to cook healthy and it won't be so hard to follow a weightlifter's diet.
The study has many variables that can be argued...but the results look like what the food that goes in tastes like. I highly doubt the nutrition is the same as meat lightly seared in a pan or on a grill with a bit of OO or veggies for that matter.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
I never called it useless if you were referring to me lol... It has its uses...like target practice for instance. Seriously though the way food tastes from a microwave whether thawing or cooking is disgusting in so many ways. Unless your using microwaveable porcelain or comparable (even cheap glass can leech substances)
than you are getting more than you want and less than you need. Why does food taste so gross when it is microwaved? If it is just heating it up, why does it taste like **** and not the normal delicious way the food should taste? I personally don't use one. I thaw my meat out and cook it the right damn way. If your in a dorm, buy the rocket grill or something...learn how to cook healthy and it won't be so hard to follow a weightlifter's diet.
The study has many variables that can be argued...but the results look like what the food that goes in tastes like. I highly doubt the nutrition is the same as meat lightly seared in a pan or on a grill with a bit of OO or veggies for that matter.
nah, I know it wasnt you that said that.. I do cook my meat, however i dont have the time on my lunch break to drive home and cook 2 pieces of chicken, I do all my cooking first thing of a morning and use the microwave at work to re-heat my lunch, only things i microwave is lunch (only on days i work) and my breakfast oats..

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Considering the microwave destroys food, even if you put broccoli in.. By the time it's done it'll be virtually useless nutritionally.
It is true.... they completely destroy all nutrients and food adding radiation.... They are banned in Russia

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
It is true.... they completely destroy all nutrients and food adding radiation.... They are banned in Russia
One time, I put food in my microwave to cook it.

But when I opened it up, there was nothing there.

F*CKING EVIL MAGICAL MICROWAVES IRRADIATING MY FOOD INTO NOTHINGNESS!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Microwaves were banned in russia. Not anymore though.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.
So in the 80s they were unbanned.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
So in the 80s they were unbanned.

Yeah because of politics.... just like cigarette smoking is still legal.... The question was... "Is there any healthy microwavable food" the answer has to be "NO" because microwaving is UNHEALTHY. I hope this we can all agree on

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
That's probably safe to say, but the real question is how unhealthy is it to rewarm food in a microwave.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up almost primarily on microwavable food because I grew up with a single mom who worked, so I sort of raised myself and fed myself. I didn't whither, I actually consider myself above average.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I grew up almost primarily on microwavable food because I grew up with a single mom who worked, so I sort of raised myself and fed myself. I didn't whither, I actually consider myself above average.
You're not a plant, silly.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
btw, i still eat the **** out of TV dinners time to time, but there is no question my insides are crying when i do.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
That's probably safe to say, but the real question is how unhealthy is it to rewarm food in a microwave.
I think Zero V made a good statment for that... making sure you use the best available options, like glass containers instead of plastic. I use the microwave from time to time, but obviously in the past (college) I used it daily. I feel as long as we know its not the most healthy way to cook and try to limit it to rare occasions its perfectly fine to use a microwave.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
nah, I know it wasnt you that said that.. I do cook my meat, however i dont have the time on my lunch break to drive home and cook 2 pieces of chicken, I do all my cooking first thing of a morning and use the microwave at work to re-heat my lunch, only things i microwave is lunch (only on days i work) and my breakfast oats..
Make a lot in advance like 10-15 breasts and a roast. In school or at workl people always laughed when they saw the cooler...but not when we were in the gym =)

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i use the microwave from time to time..but i try to avoid it if i can..i have been using the oven to heat my food..only time i use the microwave now is if i running late for school or work...

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Make a lot in advance like 10-15 breasts and a roast. In school or at workl people always laughed when they saw the cooler...but not when we were in the gym =)
hell bro, i dont give a damn what those people think..:thumbsup: they already look at me weird carrying my gallon jug around.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
Organic Bistro is probably the healthiest i've seen for microwavable,and the only thing that somewhat resembles/tastes like a home cooked meal. Sodium levels are on the low end which is a big bonus,i think the highest i saw on one was 250mg. The price tag is expensive though 6.00 per meal....ouch.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
ok, so i made my oats this morning on stove top for sh*ts and gigs they taste alot better than microwaved, going to make them like this from now on..

pcproffy

Awards
If it is just heating it up, why does it taste like **** and not the normal delicious way the food should taste?

I highly doubt the nutrition is the same as meat lightly seared in a pan or on a grill with a bit of OO or veggies for that matter.
With that argument then any bad tasting food must be bad for you. I bet if you grew up eating microwaved food you would find pan searing to be gross.

LOL @ whoever talked about "radiation". We're talking about microwaves here and he makes it sound like we're cooking with plutonium.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
With that argument then any bad tasting food must be bad for you. I bet if you grew up eating microwaved food you would find pan searing to be gross.

LOL @ whoever talked about "radiation". We're talking about microwaves here and he makes it sound like we're cooking with plutonium.
What is your malfunction? I didn't realize I had to spoon feed an exact and detailed description on why something tasted bad eg, rubbery,dry, limited flavor and I could go on. I did grow up eating microwaved food and I still find it disgusting, thats a bad argument IMO since it doesn't count on the human palette being able to recognize and differentiate between what something should or shouldn't taste like. Ever drink rotten milk? Moldy bread? Get my point?
There is a difference between preferences and food that is almost inedible. You obviously have no culinary experience.

Also you have no idea what constitutes radiation or it's effects. I bet you think its also benign to fly in an airplane all the time...:booty:

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established

microwave [ˈmaɪkrəʊˌweɪv]
n
1. (Physics / General Physics)
a. electromagnetic radiation in the wavelength range 0.3 to 0.001 metres: used in radar, cooking, etc.
b. (as modifier) microwave generator
2. (Cookery) short for microwave oven
vb (tr)
(Cookery) to cook in a microwave oven

REFERENCE: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/microwave

pcproffy

Awards
Sure lets examine this "radiation". The energy of a photon, the carrier of electromagnetic radiation is:

E= hc/(wavelength)
h= 6.63E-34 J/s
c= 3E8 m/s

Let us compare the energy in a microwave to the visible light that we spend our entire waking lives being exposed. Since "h" and "c" are constants we need to simply compare wavelengths. The longer the wavelength, the less energy being carried by the photon.

Microwave = 10^-2
Visible = .5 x 10^-6
Answer = Visible light is 5000 times more energetic than microwave!

As you're reading this your monitor has just mutated your eyeballs.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Sure lets examine this "radiation". The energy of a photon, the carrier of electromagnetic radiation is:

E= hc/(wavelength)
h= 6.63E-34 J/s
c= 3E8 m/s

Let us compare the energy in a microwave to the visible light that we spend our entire waking lives being exposed. Since "h" and "c" are constants we need to simply compare wavelengths. The longer the wavelength, the less energy being carried by the photon.

Microwave = 10^-2
Visible = .5 x 10^-6
Answer = Visible light is 5000 times more energetic than microwave!

As you're reading this your monitor has just mutated your eyeballs.

Why are you trying to be funny when in reality you didn't even make sense. If put your eye up to the sun it would burn to a crisp.... no kidding its more energetic than microwaves... but you still didn't do much in regards to explaining why microwaves are a healthy choice for cooking food.

pcproffy

Awards
1. If you are afraid of microwaves making molecular changes and causing mutations then you should be afraid of visible light that carries 5000x the energy.

2. When you tune your TV or radio to a non-station, the static you hear is all of the naturally occurring waves hitting the antenna. If you can get a cell phone or radio reception then you are being blasted at this very moment. If you believe microwaves (a type of radio wave) can cause molecular changes then what are you doing to stop all of the natural radio waves bombarding you from space?

I'm just asking for some consistency in people's logic.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
1. If you are afraid of microwaves making molecular changes and causing mutations then you should be afraid of visible light that carries 5000x the energy.

2. When you tune your TV or radio to a non-station, the static you hear is all of the naturally occurring waves hitting the antenna. If you can get a cell phone or radio reception then you are being blasted at this very moment. If you believe microwaves (a type of radio wave) can cause molecular changes then what are you doing to stop all of the natural radio waves bombarding you from space?

last time i checked we were talking about healthy meals to cook in the microwave.... either way, i do use something for my cell phone and other radio transmissions..

http://www.cellphone-health.com/howitworks.htm

mav6

mav6

Awards
I do the same thing. I make my food up ahead of time, and just pop it in the microwave before I eat it. I've got about 20 chicken breasts in bags in the freezer, at least a dozen steaks, and probably 3 dozen half pound servings of ground beef. All cooked, weighed, packaged, and frozen. The guys at work think I'm nuts, but they're all fat, and I'm still going strong.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established

Well I am definitely aware of the risk posed by the sun for instance, the sun I have lived until from birth as it gave me two large melanoma's that had to be removed. I think the point is why exacerbate the problems that we already have to live with rather than try to be smart and limit our exposure to any of it. I don't use aluminum cooking things either.
The radio waves from space are not able to cook things either are they? They don't have that immediate effect like a microwave. If your point is that we shouldn't worry about anything and just live our lives....Well I like the way mine is going since changing the way I cook and live in general, I feel better and that is what is important to me.