Staying Healthy This Winter

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What are your go to regular vitamins during flu season?

I'm thinking I may double down and make them a daily ritual like my wife and I do with our other supplements.
D, and C make sense to me.
I usually start taking a little apple cider vinegar in Dec/Jan if we have a winter escape planned.
Maybe small does of elderberry although typically I take this more at onset of symptoms or if someone around me is sick.

They're forecasting... a bad flu season. I'm not worried but I like to stay healthy lol.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I rarely get bad colds anymore which I attribute to using Evomuse Gut Health. If I feel something coming on I take Coldezee (has elderberry). If anyone in the house is sick, I take 1-3g Vit C which seems to lessen the severity of symptoms. You mentioned ACV. I put a tablespoon of this on my daily salads along with a chopped clove of garlic. STAY HEALTHY!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I rarely get bad colds anymore which I attribute to using Evomuse Gut Health. If I feel something coming on I take Coldezee (has elderberry). If anyone in the house is sick, I take 1-3g Vit C which seems to lessen the severity of symptoms. You mentioned ACV. I put a tablespoon of this on my daily salads along with a chopped clove of garlic. STAY HEALTHY!
we do fresh garlic almost daily. I hadn't thought about the ACV on my salads though, that's a great idea that I could incorporate even tomorrow... thank you for that tip!
'
sounds like you do the same as us. the other thing we like to do is if we do start to fill sick, we immediately go to PHO for dinner. sometimes my coworker and I will get it for lunch if anyone is sick in the office.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is a good point. Gut health (in general not just the supplement, although that particular one is probably my to to currently) should provide some good benefits in regards to this.

In addition to what have been said maybe keeping Zinc in mind if you don't normally take anything that has that included. Keep in mind not to get too much Zinc, but a small bump if you don't take anything with it or have small doses in any multi or products you currently take.

Overall SNS Immune Support is my go to, for the price you get a bunch of the top choices many people will use and great value. I'll be honest I only really use it when others around me are sick or if I maybe start to feel down, not necessarily non-stop, but you could run it continuously.

Bonus and maybe a little bit of a reach, but always been a fan of Anacyclus P. (from all the way back in the AnaBeta days and SNS Anacyclus XT nowadays) as a great winter use product. It is amazing for mass gain phases imo, but it also has some pretty cool immune boosting studies (nothing insane or the strongest data, but a cool side benefit).

DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
Vitamin C, D and Zinc to help keep the colds at bay...and may help in lessening the severity of Covid. I like the Power C with Zinc along with the D3 and Calcium chews.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do any of you all get the flu shot?
Not for me or kids, only my wife must for her job.

We're not doing anything different. We keep C going all year and monitor vitamin d blood levels keeping it above 50 ng/mL. There's some zinc in our multis, enough to prevent deficiency, but I've recently started focusing on copper as well since I've recently realized I get basically none and went overboard on zinc for years.

Also, EPA/DHA total of 2g.

I have several bottles of anacyclus though...hmmm....

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't change anything. I just stick with my normal supps. I don't do flu shots "although I'm not against them".

And I'm definitely not talking any covid shots/boosters. Those I'm definitely against. I'm not contributing to there $63,000 per minute profit margin 🤯.

**** all that jive, anyway. Do you regularly get sick over the winter?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is a good point. Gut health (in general not just the supplement, although that particular one is probably my to to currently) should provide some good benefits in regards to this.

In addition to what have been said maybe keeping Zinc in mind if you don't normally take anything that has that included. Keep in mind not to get too much Zinc, but a small bump if you don't take anything with it or have small doses in any multi or products you currently take.

Overall SNS Immune Support is my go to, for the price you get a bunch of the top choices many people will use and great value. I'll be honest I only really use it when others around me are sick or if I maybe start to feel down, not necessarily non-stop, but you could run it continuously.

Bonus and maybe a little bit of a reach, but always been a fan of Anacyclus P. (from all the way back in the AnaBeta days and SNS Anacyclus XT nowadays) as a great winter use product. It is amazing for mass gain phases imo, but it also has some pretty cool immune boosting studies (nothing insane or the strongest data, but a cool side benefit).
Vitamin C, D and Zinc to help keep the colds at bay...and may help in lessening the severity of Covid. I like the Power C with Zinc along with the D3 and Calcium chews.
Zinc is smart. I had been taking melatonin recently before bed to help improve sleep but sleep is great now, so perhaps just going back to evening ZMA is the ticket. that would be a good sleep aid + increased zinc.

Do any of you all get the flu shot?
no, never have. it sorta grosses me out for some reason.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don't change anything. I just stick with my normal supps. I don't do flu shots "although I'm not against them".

And I'm definitely not talking any covid shots/boosters. Those I'm definitely against. I'm not contributing to there $63,000 per minute profit margin 🤯.

**** all that jive, anyway. Do you regularly get sick over the winter?
I haven't been sick since 2019.
I did test positive for COVID in Mar of 21 but it wasn't enough to keep me from going to work. The only reason I tested and took the required 10 days off was because I was out of state. so I doubled my vitamins, maintained a 2 mile run at lunch every day and went golfing 4 times. But aside from that it's been years since I was sick enough to miss work. Still.... since a bad flu season is forecasted and my wife and I are hoping to travel in Dec and Feb I just think that over the past couple years I've done a good job of taking care of my immune system so I'm always sorta watching for ways to keep at that. I likely drink way too much but our nutrition is otherwise dialed and I'm always learning about supps/vitamins.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
pic of salad? you dont get sick of eating them?

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
pic of salad? you dont get sick of eating them?
You're in luck, I just made one! I reused that bowl from my post workout proats. So that's dried chocolate you see on the sides. Salad contains green leaf lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, tomato, garlic clove, chicken, walnuts. I'll sometimes put celery and carrots in it. I'll be eating this 2 hours after my proats. Yeah, it's a BMF salad!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You're in luck, I just made one! I reused that bowl from my post workout proats. So that's dried chocolate you see on the sides. Salad contains green leaf lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, tomato, garlic clove, chicken, walnuts. I'll sometimes put celery and carrots in it. I'll be eating this 2 hours after my proats. Yeah, it's a BMF salad!

View attachment 223667
lol just finished mine. no pictures.
lots of greens, tomatoes and cucumbers thrown in for flavor, green onions. topped with jasmine rice and chicken. my wife and I grill chicken every sunday for our weekly meal prep.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Zinc is smart. I had been taking melatonin recently before bed to help improve sleep but sleep is great now, so perhaps just going back to evening ZMA is the ticket. that would be a good sleep aid + increased zinc.

no, never have. it sorta grosses me out for some reason.
Grosses me out too,…I’ve never got one, but not against someone seeing the need to get one.

I up the health supps etc. but I do get sick once every 3-4 years and thought maybe I should consider a flu shot 🤷‍♂️

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My main concern is how much time I spend in a commercial gym, and while I know that ups my immune system pretty good….I’m still surrounded by ‘commercial gym clientele that aren’t on the knowledge base level we are’ 🤣 ….and I know they don’t clean that gym even a quarter of how good they were cleaning it, for the first few months after lockdown

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

View attachment 223667
wow super quick lol thanks. salad dressing? and omg i cannot eat nuts in food unless its dessert lol. i might could eat the walnuts in a salad but i was just telling my son today about seeing weird salads on a menu somewhere that looked absolutely disgusting. cranberries, grapes, blu cheese, (with the fruit) cashews, strawberries, ugh! lol

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
lol just finished mine. no pictures.
lots of greens, tomatoes and cucumbers thrown in for flavor, green onions. topped with jasmine rice and chicken. my wife and I grill chicken every sunday for our weekly meal prep.
rice on a salad? hmmmmmm

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My main concern is how much time I spend in a commercial gym, and while I know that ups my immune system pretty good….I’m still surrounded by ‘commercial gym clientele that aren’t on the knowledge base level we are’ 🤣 ….and I know they don’t clean that gym even a quarter of how good they were cleaning it, for the first few months after lockdown
yeah but who knows! they say that some of the strongest immune systems are those people who have constant interaction like the people who work the front desk at the doctors office. you might be getting some serious immune system strength there

rice on a salad? hmmmmmm

yeah lol my wife preps my 5 tuperwares of greens/salad stuff while I start the rice cooker and grill chicken.
then I measure out my portions, slap the chicken in there, measure out the rice, toss it on top.
badda bing badda boom, I got fiber, carbs, protein all covered.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
wow super quick lol thanks. salad dressing? and omg i cannot eat nuts in food unless its dessert lol. i might could eat the walnuts in a salad but i was just telling my son today about seeing weird salads on a menu somewhere that looked absolutely disgusting. cranberries, grapes, blu cheese, (with the fruit) cashews, strawberries, ugh! lol
I normally just do a tablespoon of ACV and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar for salad dressing. I have to eat most of my calories otherwise I can easily go overboard on my macros.

rice on a salad? hmmmmmm
During bulking season (now) I normally put a cup of brown rice on my salad too but we are remodeling our house thus I can't make rice for 3 months.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I normally just do a tablespoon of ACV and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar for salad dressing. I have to eat most of my calories otherwise I can easily go overboard on my macros.

During bulking season (now) I normally put a cup of brown rice on my salad too but we are remodeling our house thus I can't make rice for 3 months.
my wife sometimes grabs those single serving microwavable rice containers for me. they're like 300 cals so I can't recall the exact carb count but it's like 'emergency' food I keep at work. if I need more carbs I nuke it in the microwave

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if it was mentioned but a part of any solid immune system protocol should be L-Glutamine. It is the amino that feeds the immune system on top of promoting gut health. Getting 10-20g a day does the trick.