Stubborn Bloat/Abdominal Fat

colange2

Awards
Hey guys,

I'm 19 and lift 3 times a week, but I am primarily a track athlete (sprinter). In the past year I have seen a significant increase in abdominal fat/water even though I have been improving my diet ever since I was about 16. I am currently using purple wraath during my gym and track workouts, ON whey after workouts, orange triad multivitamin, 2000 iu vitamin D3, fish oil (3 teaspoons of carlson's spread out throughout the day), probiotics, and recently purchased REDuction (first time using a fatburner) but haven't started it yet. My diet is not the same every day (except for breakfast) but I eat clean nearly 100% of the time and have not had a cheat meal in about 3 weeks.

Breakfast 8:30-9:00 : 2 whole jumbo eggs & 2 egg whites with raw bell pepper/spinach/broccoli cooked in coconut oil, 3/4 cup of oats, 1 banana, and either 1/2 cup of blueberries or whatever berry I have in the house

Post WO 11:30: 1 scoop ON whey, 1 banana

Meal 3 12:30: 5 oz chicken breast with either white potato/sweet potato/ brown rice/pasta and piece of fruit (apple, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, etc), 1 teaspoon fish oil

Meal 4 3:00: Same as meal 3 except substitute vegetables (broccoli, spinach) for fruit.

Meal 5 5:30: Varies, but usually chicken, meatballs (half turkey, half beef), salmon, or steak with vegetables and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Also take my second dose of orange triad and probiotic.

Meal 6 8:30: Same as meal 5 but with 1 teaspoon fish oil.

Again, this schedule does vary slightly, but food choices are very similar every day. Calories are usually between 2500 and 3200 with protein around 200 grams, Carbs around 250-350 depending on the day, and 90-100 grams of fat. I am 5' 10.5 and currently 180 pounds, and I'd guess around 13% bf but my stomach is bloated and I look a little pregnant lol. I would greatly appreciated any advice, and I'm also wondering if you think the REDuction would be a good idea at this time. I am trying to lean out a little bit right now and would like to be at around 170-175 pounds while still getting faster and stronger.

colange2

Awards
In addition, my workouts consist of mainly total body movements like sled pushes, neutral grip pullups, low box squats, and single arm split jerks if that means anything. Even some simple suggestions on the diet would be of great help though.

colange2

Awards
I do think I am eating a sufficient amount of calories since I have been logging my diet on fitday and it has been just around 3000 per day. I am only 180 pounds, so I really don't think that my body would be going into starvation mode with that amount of food.

KingLouisXXIV

Awards
I am extremely active and have to cut @ 2000 calories MAX...

3000 I would gain fat...

And I lift hard 4 days/ week w/ 20 min. cardio following, and ride 18 miles on a road bike 3 days/ week.

And I'm consuming anywhere from 1600-2000 calories a day, sometimes less. The fat SLOWLY is coming off.

I'm amazed how many people think they need to eat so many calories... When bulking, sure, but even then huge athletes eat maybe 4000 calories, usually around 3-3.4k. But bulking also results in fat gain...

Just cut the calories. If you're not losing fat, you're not cutting enough.

colange2

Awards
Personally, I think 2000 would be way too low, mainly because I'm trying to maintain a high level of performance for track... but I do think you are right about lowering the calories so I think I might start adding in more vegetables towards the end of the day instead of starchy carbs.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think 2000 would be way too low, mainly because I'm trying to maintain a high level of performance for track... but I do think you are right about lowering the calories so I think I might start adding in more vegetables towards the end of the day instead of starchy carbs.

Yeah it looks like you are eating a bit too much...I eat that much and am slowly bulking, but I do 25 miles on a gym bike every other day to try and keep it leaner.

I think for cutting you should be lowering the carb intake throughout the day, ie, breakfast should be the highest carb meal.

Working out has about 0 to do with stomach/ab definition and whatnot, since it's a core muscle your compound lifts and your cardio hit it pretty good, it's all about the diet to get that pudge off...I do 3 sets of 100 situps on the day I do 25 miles on the bike, and have a bit of a pouch down on my lower abs...very much annoying, but I am bulking so I can't really complain lol..

I'm 176 right now just fyi.

Maybe make meal 4 and 6 a smaller snack, like PB on rice cakes or somethin

Edit: About the working out has 0 to do with abs, I mean getting them to "pop" out, you have to workout for your abs to exist, but you may very well already have a 6pac under the chub lol.

Rhyno

Rhyno

Awards
  • Established
How much water are you drinking a day? Should be at least a gallon; wouldn't go for more than two tho. If I drink less than 1.5 gals, I tend to look much more 'puffy' (lots of sub-q water).

As for carbs timing, if you do cut carbs, be sure to eat them before your workouts to help maintain your workout performance. Depending on how much carbs you decide to eat, you can also try eating them post-workout as well, although I do not think this is necessary.

colange2

Awards
Thanks guys, I think I will just add some water (prob drink around a gallon right now) and lower calories just a little bit and see what happens.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
cut all grains/starches/sugars from the diet, keep blood sugar low.