Eating raw egg whites out of the carton?

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys im starting to come up with some new ideas to getting more protein into my diet. I just started adding egg whites into my diet and i CANNOT stand how bland they taste when i cook them.... So my question is can i just pour some egg whites into my protien shake and drink them down? I know the risk of salmonella, but isnt that why you buy pasturized??

Only 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella, according to the Agriculture Department (outdated) report......But i dont know if that mean my egg white out of the carton?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there isnt' a salmonella risk with drinking it as being pasteurized avoids that, but there is still the question on just how bioavaiilable uncooked egg whites are. From studies i've seen, something like less than 20% of the protein is used if the egg whites are raw. But that was 100% raw, not even pasteurized. So i'm not 100% certain as to how well liquid egg whites really are used.

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
there isnt' a salmonella risk with drinking it as being pasteurized avoids that, but there is still the question on just how bioavaiilable uncooked egg whites are. From studies i've seen, something like less than 20% of the protein is used if the egg whites are raw. But that was 100% raw, not even pasteurized. So i'm not 100% certain as to how well liquid egg whites really are used.
ive was just reading up on that.... im going to the doc. tomorrow to check out my knee and get some ambien, do you think he would know the answer?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't bet on him knowing the correct answer. But i'm sure he'll have AN answer :)

I'll look again later tonite if I remember, as i've been wondering about this lately

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
im gunna do a little research on it tonight too.

you ever try cooking the eggs then blending them into the protein shake? I wonder how that would taste.....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eh its ok. just adds a ton of volume to the shake and you have to blend it a while. I started cooking the whites in thin sheets then folding them up into a sandwich. but they suck that way too

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
damn my oats already add alot of volume... im gunna look up egg white recipies tonight too haha.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are looking for something to add into shakes I know several people that swear by the dried egg whites. Can be pretty much added to anything as its tasteless and wouldn't add volume really to a shake.

I have drank cartons of egg whites before.....its kinda gross hahaha

Lateinlife

Lateinlife

Awards
I have been adding the pasteurized egg whites to my shake for 6 months or more. I was trying to spend a little more time sleeping than having to get up and down a bowl of oats and whites cooked. That is going to be a real bummer if I have to go back to holding the bowl in my lap as I drive to the gym.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Actually there was a good thread on here about these egg whites, and I started drinking them after I read it (at least when I can get them onsale), drink em straight, mixed with protein, whatever.

If Im gonna cookem, then Im just gonna eat em, kinda defeats the purpose(for me at least) and I cant imagine how well they would blend up in the shake.

If you are just looking for volume, get powdered skim milk, add a few scoops of that to your shakes.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, although this is from a manufacturer website, still it makes some sense

The human body cannot completely and safely digest a raw egg white. So, if you like to do the "Rocky Routine" with a raw egg or raw egg white in your drink, you are wasting your time, not to mention the threat of Salmonella. Avidin, which is found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids.

Our 100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 3 ½ minutes. This heat kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin to allow the egg whites to be digested safely by the human body.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites are crap, if you really are looking for more protein eat the whole damn egg. The cholesterol from the yolk is amazing.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, although this is from a manufacturer website, still it makes some sense
I remember reading that a while back.

It's a nice little catch22 because if you cook them too much, they decompose and you get smelly egg farts, caused by the sulfur in the high abundance of methionine.

ana420

ana420

Awards
Yeah isn't there more protein in the yolk than the actual white? plus i think the zinc and other minerals are in the yolk.

I've heard that eggs have less bioavailability when uncooked too, as far as I'm concerned Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs so I will too =)

I hate plain cooked eggwhite too so usually i'll just throw some bread in a frying pan and pour egg white on it until its totally saturated, tastes like a pancake!!

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
Yeah isn't there more protein in the yolk than the actual white? plus i think the zinc and other minerals are in the yolk.

I've heard that eggs have less bioavailability when uncooked too, as far as I'm concerned Ronnie Coleman cooks his eggs so I will too =)

I hate plain cooked eggwhite too so usually i'll just throw some bread in a frying pan and pour egg white on it until its totally saturated, tastes like a pancake!!
sounds like you are making a half assed french toast...haha

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites are crap, if you really are looking for more protein eat the whole damn egg. The cholesterol from the yolk is amazing.
Maybe I miss understood this thread, but in the cartons I thought this thread was about there are no yolks, was this not about liquid eggwhites.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Maybe I miss understood this thread, but in the cartons I thought this thread was about there are no yolks, was this not about liquid eggwhites.
lol yes I do believe it was, my mistake. I saw egg whites and just posted real quick! I never really liked egg whites at all especially from the carton. Also raw eggwhites are basically useless. They contain inhibitors of the digestive enzyme trypsin, which are destroyed by heat. If you add the yolk or take digestive enzymes with it then it would be ok. So I guess you could get some enzymes and pop them with the eggwhites, but it would be better to just throw a whole egg or 2 in there if you dont mind the taste.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol yes I do believe it was, my mistake. I saw egg whites and just posted real quick! I never really liked egg whites at all especially from the carton. Also raw eggwhites are basically useless. They contain inhibitors of the digestive enzyme trypsin, which are destroyed by heat. If you add the yolk or take digestive enzymes with it then it would be ok. So I guess you could get some enzymes and pop them with the eggwhites, but it would be better to just throw a whole egg or 2 in there if you dont mind the taste.
Will the pasteurization process not destroy them?

it's not a rhetorical question, I seriously do not know.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the idea, that I guess avidin is that protein fragment that blocks it, and is destroyed even by the heat of pasteurization without fully cooking the eggs.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just hard boil a ton of eggs. If you want to save morning time, Hardboil a couple dozen and leave them in the fridge. This also gives you the option to eat the yold if you choose. I usually will eat 6 eggs, 3 whole and 3 white only.

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I just hard boil a ton of eggs. If you want to save morning time, Hardboil a couple dozen and leave them in the fridge. This also gives you the option to eat the yold if you choose. I usually will eat 6 eggs, 3 whole and 3 white only.
When I want to gain weight (lean muscle) I will eat a dozen eggs a day, all whole. I'll have 6 in the morning with breakfast and 6 in the afternoon or right before I workout. If I do it everyday ill gain at least 5 lbs in a month.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I want to gain weight (lean muscle) I will eat a dozen eggs a day, all whole. I'll have 6 in the morning with breakfast and 6 in the afternoon or right before I workout. If I do it everyday ill gain at least 5 lbs in a month.
I havn't been going to heavy with the lifting right now. I was planning on a dozen a day starting next week some time. My current plan was 8 whole 4 white, but this could be reconsidered given everyone's overall belief on the yolk being beneficial.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Yolk contains about 270mg of cholesterol per large egg. Cholesterol converts to testosterone (eventually) the more yolks you eat the more testosterone you have! You eat enough eggs and its almost like taking a mild pro-hormone only you don't get shutdown. Well maybe not that much but you get the point. Plus the yolk contains arachidonic acid and a mineral/nutrient profile that rivals some multivitamins. Eat the yolk.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yolk contains about 270mg of cholesterol per large egg. Cholesterol converts to testosterone (eventually) the more yolks you eat the more testosterone you have! You eat enough eggs and its almost like taking a mild pro-hormone only you don't get shutdown. Well maybe not that much but you get the point. Plus the yolk contains arachidonic acid and a mineral/nutrient profile that rivals some multivitamins. Eat the yolk.
You convinced me, whole eggs from now on.. Haha.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Oh and if you cook your eggs with some olive oil the oil can help with the conversion to test. Although this wont really apply to you if you just hard boil them.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh and if you cook your eggs with some olive oil the oil can help with the conversion to test. Although this wont really apply to you if you just hard boil them.
I hardboil them to easily eat the whites. If I am eatting the whole egg, Ill cook them. Back to ommelettes.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys im starting to come up with some new ideas to getting more protein into my diet. I just started adding egg whites into my diet and i CANNOT stand how bland they taste when i cook them.... So my question is can i just pour some egg whites into my protien shake and drink them down? I know the risk of salmonella, but isnt that why you buy pasturized??

Only 1 in 30,000 eggs contains salmonella, according to the Agriculture Department (outdated) report......But i dont know if that mean my egg white out of the carton?

I do it all the time, bulking or cutting... Been doing it for over 8 months now and haven't gotten sick yet.

-James

intheflesh

intheflesh

Awards
Egg whites taste fine straight up fried in butter, with salt on them. Lots of salt.

ZoomZoom88

ZoomZoom88

Awards
  • Established
I find them to be a little to bland for my taste. Ill stick to egg whites in my shake and wholes eggs for my breakfast meal....

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
make sure to not overeat egg whites, something like 20+ a day can cause a biotin deficiency