AM fasted workout??

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.29%

AM fasted workout??

With the way my schedule is right now, the only time I have during the day to lift is first thing in the morning (IE alarm goes off, get dressed and leave for the gym). What are your opinions on training on an empty stomach, even if I'm drinking a BCAA/EAA drink like Xtend. Would that put me in too much of a catabolic state, or would something like xtend keep me safe?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

taking xtend before would definetly help. maybe like 3 servings before to give 21g aminos and you could add some carb source with that? just to prevent you from burning muscle. waxy maize or oatmeal run through a coffee grinder come to mind. then workout and eat a big meal after. you could prepare something the night before and eat that to save time. as long as you have a solid meal after, and aminos + carbs before you should be safe
    CELTIC LABS REP
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by natandrb View Post
    With the way my schedule is right now, the only time I have during the day to lift is first thing in the morning (IE alarm goes off, get dressed and leave for the gym). What are your opinions on training on an empty stomach, even if I'm drinking a BCAA/EAA drink like Xtend. Would that put me in too much of a catabolic state, or would something like xtend keep me safe?
    I personally see nothing wrong with training first thing on an empty stomach. I do it all the time. So long as you have a proper meal once you are finished, you should be fine. You can use BCAAs pre, during, and post, to help preserve muscle mass if you're that worried about it; but losing mass isn't so much on when you train, but on your total caloric intake versus energy expenditure.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    I personally see nothing wrong with training first thing on an empty stomach. I do it all the time. So long as you have a proper meal once you are finished, you should be fine. You can use BCAAs pre, during, and post, to help preserve muscle mass if you're that worried about it; but losing mass isn't so much on when you train, but on your total caloric intake versus energy expenditure.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Same here. Wake up and drink tall glass of water. Mix up xtend and bottle with vasocharge and xtend. Drink vasocharge on way to gym and xtend during and after workout. I liken it to doing cardio fasted but for a bit longer duration. Plus it is fewer people lifting at 6 am to deal with.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

There are actually lots of studies showing the benefits of a fasted workout. It just isn't my cup of tea. I wish I could do it, just wake up and get my workout done before the day started. I am just not a morning person. I feel better with a few meals in me.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.56%

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    There are actually lots of studies showing the benefits of a fasted workout. It just isn't my cup of tea. I wish I could do it, just wake up and get my workout done before the day started. I am just not a morning person. I feel better with a few meals in me.
    really? maybe ill start doing that, it would be easier just to knock it out the way in the morning because im always so hungry for the rest of the day and itd help eat more. can u recap some of the benefits?
    CELTIC LABS REP
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

Hey i recently read something about the morning lifting, its on tmuscle so I dont know how credible it is but still worth looking into:

Research on circadian rhythms (your body's internal clock) indicate that the summation of several important anabolic hormones peak at 3 and 11 hours upon awakening. What does that mean in plain English? Well, according to science, if you wake up at 6:00 am, you're at your strongest at 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. And, according to Olympic strength coach Charles Poliquin, your joints — specifically, the synovial fluid that lubricates your joints — require about 3 hours to reach an optimal level of warmth, which will help improve performance while decreasing the likelihood of injury.

Dr. Stuart McGill, a spinal biomechanist and professor at the University of Waterloo, warns people not to perform demanding exercises first thing in the morning. Since discs are hydrophilic, they tend to soak up water and swell overnight, and it's much easier to herniate a swollen, water-filled spine! Therefore, McGill recommends to wait at least one hour after awakening to exercise. That is the critical period since your tissue is superhydrated at that point, resulting in an 18% loss of strength in the spine and risk of injury is heightened!

also talks about a good meal for those workouts, i personally believe in eating before workouts because I feel weak and deflated without any food especially carbs. i know i couldnt lift half of what i usually can with no food in me.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...t_of_your_life
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.12%

i did it for some time and loved it. wish i could do it all the time. aminos b4 and during is good. as someone stasted above eat good afterwards
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    Hey i recently read something about the morning lifting, its on tmuscle so I dont know how credible it is but still worth looking into:

Research on circadian rhythms (your body's internal clock) indicate that the summation of several important anabolic hormones peak at 3 and 11 hours upon awakening. What does that mean in plain English? Well, according to science, if you wake up at 6:00 am, you're at your strongest at 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. And, according to Olympic strength coach Charles Poliquin, your joints specifically, the synovial fluid that lubricates your joints require about 3 hours to reach an optimal level of warmth, which will help improve performance while decreasing the likelihood of injury.

Dr. Stuart McGill, a spinal biomechanist and professor at the University of Waterloo, warns people not to perform demanding exercises first thing in the morning. Since discs are hydrophilic, they tend to soak up water and swell overnight, and it's much easier to herniate a swollen, water-filled spine! Therefore, McGill recommends to wait at least one hour after awakening to exercise. That is the critical period since your tissue is superhydrated at that point, resulting in an 18% loss of strength in the spine and risk of injury is heightened!

also talks about a good meal for those workouts, i personally believe in eating before workouts because I feel weak and deflated without any food especially carbs. i know i couldnt lift half of what i usually can with no food in me.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...t_of_your_life
    Very interesting. I personally just can't do it. I can, but I am not at my best. I try to find a balance between not doing it too early so I am tired but not too late so that it keeps me up. I do so much better with a few meals in me.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

i was just in that same situation, wake up, get dressed, and head to the gym, never thought about fasted workouts until one day when i was benching and i got really dizzy, the one guy at my gym told me that it was probably from the lack of carbs in my body....from then on out i bought some natural pb and ate a few spoon fulls, while i waited for my aminos to funnel into my bottle, btw i used chain'd out, seems like u get more for the money than other powder aminos, it really helped, not only do u get some fats, some carbs, but also some protein and calories, never had the dizzy feeling again
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.28%

I feel like my blood sugar is extremely low when I wake up. Ive done a whey/dextrose shake first thing in the morning and that got me ready for a workout. maybe slam one of those and see how the workout goes?
  12. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

I don't see a problem with it. I personally take in pre max, creatine, and bcaa's right after I wake up. Then head to the gym.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I myself could never get motivated to workout in the morning beside the occasional Cardio but theres nothing wrong with it Have a proper meal after and your fine.
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by natandrb View Post
    Early AM fasted workouts rock for recomp.

You're on the right path with the BCAAs, sip a mix of about 30g where you're getting 20% pre 60% intra and slam the last 20% post WO.

Keep you're WOs to about 45 minutes - I prefer short interval, high rep supersets. Save 15 minutes after for a little light cardio/stretching to warm down.

Shoot a PRO/CHO shake within 30min, then a proper meal an hr after that contain high complex CHOs.

You will not lose muscle. Your metabolism will be cranked for the day. You will feel a million bucks
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.77%

When you get up Drink either half a gatorade and a scoop of protein. or pounds some egg whites raw with some gatorade. this only takes 1 minute if that and its a good way to get you out of that catabolic state and ready for training. if youre trying to lose weight than go with the empty stomach.
  16. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.99%

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot903 View Post
    I myself could never get motivated to workout in the morning beside the occasional Cardio but theres nothing wrong with it Have a proper meal after and your fine.
    My motivation: job requirement.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.61%

Idn how you guys do fasted workouts. I really wish I could first thing in the morning and get my session out of the way. I tried doing it a few times over the summer when I didnt have to wake up for school and I felt literally dead in the gym. No energy and no fullness during my workout at all. I need at least two to three high carb meals before a workout or I dont even bother going lol.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.37%

Quote Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
    Idn how you guys do fasted workouts. I really wish I could first thing in the morning and get my session out of the way. I tried doing it a few times over the summer when I didnt have to wake up for school and I felt literally dead in the gym. No energy and no fullness during my workout at all. I need at least two to three high carb meals before a workout or I dont even bother going lol.
    Same here! I'd need a glucose IV to get me to the gym right after I wake up.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
    It's all about conditioning. Yes, the first few WOs will feel like shyte, but things improve . . .

My metabolism is so cranked from fasted WOs, I zip throughout the day . . have a low vibe run mid-afternoon, small energy spurt late afternoon then sleep like the dead all night.

I WO @ 3.30-4.00am btw
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

i switched my shift from 430-1230 to 9-530, i really wish i could still wake up and go to the gym, even though i feel tired, i feel like i get a better workout, going to the gym straight after work, i might feel alittle more awake, but i do feel worn down and my workouts have not been as solid

Similar Forum Threads

1. For those who workout in the AM, fasted...
    By ozarkaBRAND in forum Supplements
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
  2. doing fasted cardio now what
    By tommytucker69 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
  3. anabolic pump and a fasted workout
    By rolandajoint in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 11:00 PM
  4. xf Relentless, fasted workout?