4x5-8 wide pullups (weighted)
4x5-8 dumbell rows
5x5-8 deadlifts (with barbell or dumbell

Biceps:
3x5-8 dumbell curls
3x21's barbell curls
3x5-8 reverse barbell curls

rear delts :
3x5-8 reverse flyes - if done the day before, these will lower the amount of weight you can do pullups with.

Wed: Legs:
3x5-8 lunges
3x5-8 skateboard squats
3x5-8 stiff legged deadlifts - these target hammies better than good mornings.
3x5-8 one legged calf raises
3x5-8 leg extensions

Thur: Chest:
3x5-8 weighted dips
3x5-8 barbell bench
3x5-8 incline bench

Triceps:
barbell skullcrushers (overhand)
barbell skullcrushers (underhand)

Shoulders:
3x5-8 standing overhead barbell press
3x5-8 wide upright rows - close grip targets traps.
3x5-8 close grip upright rows

Fri: Back
5x5-8 chin ups (weighted)
5x5-8 barbell rows
5x5-8 good mornings

Biceps:
3x12 incline dumbell curls
3x12 hammer curls
3x12 pinwheel curls (youtube has these)

A very smart guy I met here made this for me ,but others tell me it's too much for me ,and I think the guy who made it thought I was more advanced. I'm 6'3'' about 185 with under a year of weight lifting under my belt.. Please tell me what I need to change. I don't think im giving my muscles time to repair..

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
1. why 2 minute rest time? unless you are squatting or going for personal best, keep it at 20 - 30 seconds between sets

2. shouldnt be hitting any bodypart more than once a week, unles you are juicing of course. instead do chest/tris, back/bi's, and legs all once a week. so 3 workouts. use all the exercises he gave you but switch them with each other every week.

3. space it out more so you can recover better. monday: chest/tris, wed: legs, friday: back/bis

3. skull crushers. I personally dont do those they make my elbows hurt and feel weird. you can hit your tris very well with close grip bench. try using the EZ curl bar and a spotter. also you can do a variety exercises with rope for tris

4. at your level it will probably be difficult to do weighed dips/pullups. start doing as many as you can with bodyweight and build up from there.

Davidlee

Yes your right I can't do weighted dips or pushups yet ,and I kinda like skullcrushers. Oh and also I do not have a spotter. I have my own set up at my house so it's all on me. The reason I keep it at 2 minutes rest time is because I am trying to build strength/mass more than I am trying to build mass/strength. I don't want to be one of those guys who are rock solid, big as a house benching 225...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
add an extra off day or two, instead of having the rotation be 7 days with 2 days off, make it 8 or 9 days with 3 or 4 days off. I work out every other day.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Yes your right I can't do weighted dips or pushups yet ,and I kinda like skullcrushers. Oh and also I do not have a spotter. I have my own set up at my house so it's all on me. The reason I keep it at 2 minutes rest time is because I am trying to build strength/mass more than I am trying to build mass/strength. I don't want to be one of those guys who are rock solid, big as a house benching 225...
20-30 sec rest periods are optimal for hypertrophy (building muscle), you will also build strength and muscle endurance. If you wanna go for just strength then start bench/snatch/clean/squat only and keep the reps at minimum. Because now you are doing a bodybuilding workout and resting like you are going for a 1 rep max. You need to choose.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
20-30 sec rest periods are optimal for hypertrophy (building muscle), you will also build strength and muscle endurance.
says who? do u have anything to back that up? I find that hard to believe as the lactic acid takes longer than that to dissipate and also strength will b much lower as apposed to waiting a min or two

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
20-30 sec rest periods are optimal for hypertrophy (building muscle), you will also build strength and muscle endurance. If you wanna go for just strength then start bench/snatch/clean/squat only and keep the reps at minimum. Because now you are doing a bodybuilding workout and resting like you are going for a 1 rep max. You need to choose.
20-30 seconds is for muscular endurance, not hypertrophy. 60-90 seconds is ideal for hypertrophy (along with a good amount of TUT). 2 minutes is not that long of a rest period for hypertrophy purposes.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
well that all depends on how long you spend actually lifting. hypertrophy is maximized using a 1:1 work - rest ratio (meaning you rest for same amt of seconds that you lift).

So if your sets are 60-90 seconds then that is correct. I do mostly circuit training and very short rest periods for mma. However if you are going for strength, rest periods should be increased to 3 to 5 minutes to allow full phos****en recovery before the next set. Those rest periods + heavy training loads also = higher testosterone output.

*Kraemer, W.J. Endocrine responses and adaptations to strength training. In: Strength and Power in Sports, P. Komi, ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific. 1992. pp. 291-304.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
hahahaha phosph@gen is being censored, i guess ph@g closely resembles f@g

Davidlee

So 2 minutes is not that long? I really need to know this. It's crucial..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try switching up you rep range throughout your workout (e.g. 3-5 for you first lift and 8-12 thereafter).

Davidlee

Try switching up you rep range throughout your workout (e.g. 3-5 for you first lift and 8-12 thereafter).
Alright, would you tell me please what I need to change about my workouts. I do not have much lifting experience under my belt and I don't seem to be getting much gains. Should I only work 1 muscle group each day of the week and rest weekends?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I just read 3 - 6 minutes would be the best for maximum strength gains and if I do like 4 reps with 90% of my max as the weight lifted

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/recovery-time-optimizing-strength-and-power-gains-40812
Yea that information is correct. The only thing is, the exercises you chose are more geared towards bodybuilding. Most of those are isolation exercises and will not build strength as well compound movements (squat,bench,clean,snatch, deadlift). If you want to get stronger at moving an object from Point A to Point B, then don't waste time with skull crushers, curls, etc. Even if you are busting your ass with 90% load but doing bodybuilding exercises and resting 3-5 min this is a waste of time. You wanna get really strong? Find a good powerlifting workout (bench/squat/clean/deadlift) and follow it. The workouts you originally posted are for bodybuilding.

Davidlee

I'm going to make up a new routine and post it for you guys to look and tell me if it is right or not..

Davidlee

Mon: Chest:
Barbell Bench Press 4x12
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4x10

Tricep's:
Close Grip Bench Press 4x8
Dips 4x Max

Tues: Leg's:
Deep Squats 4x 12/10/8/6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 4x 12/10/8/9
Dumbbell Lunges 4x 8 (Each Leg)

Abs:
Lying Floor Leg Raise With Crunch 5x 20

Wed: Rest Day

Thurs: Back: Bicep's:
Wide Grip Pullup 4x 12
Chin Ups 4x 10
Bent Over Barbell Rows 4x 12
Cable row 4x 10

Frï: Shoulders:Trap's:
Military Press 4x 12/10/8/6
Alternate Arm Seated Dumbbell Press 4x 10
Shrugs 4x 8
Upright rows 4x 12

Ab's:
Bicycle Floor Ab Crunch 5x 20

Sat & Sun Rest Days

Please tell me what workouts to add to each day and what rest times I should use.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Bro thats a great workout for someone with your level of experience. The only thing I would do is maybe add the shoulders to the chest/tris and do traps with back. But thats just me and I like to load up on exercises. Also try deadlifts, there are many tutorials on here and other sites about how to do them right. You can do deads either with back or legs, I usually do them after squats but its up to you. Try adding some more ab exercises, lateral leg raises hanging from a bar, pike ups, etc.

So in terms of rest time, keep it at a 1:1 ratio. So if you are doing a set for 40 seconds, then rest for the same amount. You'll be able to tell after a couple workouts what that time should be. This is a good start and you will gain plenty of strength, believe me. After a while you can experiment with that and change it up. Good job putting this together!