calorie cycling on CKD

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
so for my first week i lost a bunch of weight on CKD. during the second week my weight loss has stalled. i was only about 1.5-2lbs below my lowest weight ( 147 - 2 ).

during the week i was getting about 1900 calories. today is my refeed, and i am thinking about upping my calories up to about 2500 calories for the next two days after today, then dropping back down to 1800 or so for the remaining 3-4 days till my refeed. i tried something like this on a one day on, one day off basis ( the higher cal, then low cal) without results.

opinions? any of yall on CKD run into this problem? as far as macros go, i have been eating about 55P/40%F, with about <18 carbs ( including psyllium) so about 14C.

help please. i need to look like an anatomy chart by mid september and i need to be on the right track.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
so for my first week i lost a bunch of weight on CKD. during the second week my weight loss has stalled. i was only about 1.5-2lbs below my lowest weight

umm thats idea of dieting, u dont want to lose weight quick it wont all be fat, u want to keep losing nice and slow, like 1 -1.5 lbs a week to make sure it is strictly fat. the weight u lost originaally was most likly water weight being realeased from cutting carb intake. keep doing what ur doing until weight loss stagnates then cut 10% of ur total cals for the next week and see if u make any progress if not, cut another 10% of total cals.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
so you dont think my cals are already maybe too low at 1800 to be chopping off an additional 10%? i guess i am scared to go too low so i was thinking i should cycle by going high for 2-3 days, THEN cut back down to 1700 or so.

forgive me if you've already factored in your post the above.

I just want to make sure i am on the right track. i dont mind losing slow as long as i am losing steadily. I put myself on a deadline of mid september and i want to achieve it badly. this is my first time cutting down to that low of BF% so its a little challenging.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
na at @147 lbs those are more than plenty of cals.. i have 30lbs on you and ive gotten down as low as 1500 cals before; so keep cutting! if u didnt want to lower the cals anymore, you could always up the cardio. one of those two variables has to keep changing tho as your body adapts.

me, i prefer more cardio and more food myself, but my boy eats like nothing and does very minimal cardio and has great fat loss + muscle retention. to each their own.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Typically your refeed day is going to be higher cals than the rest. You don't have to go crazy overboard though. The large weight drop the first week is mostly water weight. Take your morning weight on the last day of keto or first thing in the am on your refeed day. That is your "goal weight" as I call it. The refeed will up your scale weight a few pounds as you refill your glycogen stores. Don't freak out about it, but you might add 3-5 lbs back when the carb up is done. I would try to keep it closer to 3 or so. Then when you go back keto, the water weight will come off again. But you should focus on losing 1-2 pounds from your final keto weight before your start your carb up. Don't let the weight fluctuations from the carb up throw you off, just realize what is going on. If you add back more than 5 pounds on carb up, you might struggle to get back down to your "goal weight" for the week. Then the next week, scale back the carb up if need be. I think a typical 500-700 cal increase over your "keto calories" should be fine, and adjust as neessary. The calorie fluctuations built in to the refeed should keep things going. For me it's been 4 weeks since I started, and this week my carb up weight hasn't come off. I had been doing about 2200 cals on keto, and carbing up higher than that. Next week I am going to hit 1900-2000 keto cals and see what happens. I think 3-4 weeks is about the max before you need to adjust again, at least for me anyways.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
so for my first week i lost a bunch of weight on CKD. during the second week my weight loss has stalled. i was only about 1.5-2lbs below my lowest weight ( 147 - 2 ).

during the week i was getting about 1900 calories. today is my refeed, and i am thinking about upping my calories up to about 2500 calories for the next two days after today, then dropping back down to 1800 or so for the remaining 3-4 days till my refeed. i tried something like this on a one day on, one day off basis ( the higher cal, then low cal) without results.

opinions? any of yall on CKD run into this problem? as far as macros go, i have been eating about 55P/40%F, with about <18 carbs ( including psyllium) so about 14C.

help please. i need to look like an anatomy chart by mid september and i need to be on the right track.
Do you look any better this week? Physically in the mirror can you see any changes? There can be a few things going on here:

1. You weighed yourself under different circumstances and had waste in your body you didnt account for. If this is the case it might just be a matter of changing when you weigh yourself.

2. Your salt intake is for some reason higher and you are holding excess weight. If this might be the case, cut down on too much excess salt.

3. Your calorie intake is slowing down metabolism because of going too low. If you think this is the case, you take your calories for the whole week, say over 5 days you get 1900 a day, thats a total of 9500. You can go something like this.

Days
1. 1800
2. 1600
3. 2500
4. 1700
5. 1600

Spike up your calories mid week then back down before your carb load.

4. You gained fat during the carb intake. What do you eat for your carb load? Know that with excessive fructose intake or sucrose you're not doing your body any favors.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
update : my second refeed was alot more fruitful than my 1st. i only gained about 2.5lbs this time instead of like 5-7 on my 1st one. im back down to 146lbs(1lb under pre-refeed) today ( 2 days after refeed, which was saturday) so i am doing alot better this time around. however, i think im just dehydrated. that taken into account though, by next refeed, 5 days later including today, i should be down to at least 144 by saturday morning.

so maybe i just F'd up really bad that first refeed and it seems like i am back on track.

thanks for the opinions and suggestions guys. capone, ima put myself and my bro on 1700 cals for the next few days and see if we stall again. then im gonna go down to 1500 for a couple days, then by that time it should be back time for a 3100cal refeed.

if that doesn't work im gonna go with thomas and spike midweek.

its gonna be a long, and awesome next 8 weeks.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
capone, ima put myself and my bro on 1700 cals for the next few days and see if we stall again. then im gonna go down to 1500 for a couple days, then by that time it should be back time for a 3100cal refeed.

if that doesn't work im gonna go with thomas and spike midweek.

its gonna be a long, and awesome next 8 weeks.

good plan homie

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
on second thought, u said u are down 1 lb from last pre refeed. thats right where uw ant to be. i wouldnt change anything until fat loss stops. like the saying goes, if its not broke dont fix it

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
on second thought, u said u are down 1 lb from last pre refeed. thats right where uw ant to be. i wouldnt change anything until fat loss stops. like the saying goes, if its not broke dont fix it
I second this.

demetre

Awards
i am on the keto diet as well my question is this i have heard two different things......
Should protien intake while on keto diet be less or more than body weight per gram?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many calories are coming from carbs on refeeds?

When I did CKD I would have one 12 hours period of free feed on complex carbs. Never hindered fat loss, often accelerated it.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
my calories from carbs are about 2200(550g), about 440(110g)ish from protein and about <400 from fat( about <45g).

edit: i had about 1/5 of my carbs coming from complex carbs ( had rice and noodles with my panang curry) since my refeed lasted about 15hrs.

lyle suggests high GI carbs for the first 24hrs. and i can say it worked famously.