Cutting out all salt from diet

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
I decided since I'm cooking all my own food to cut all salt out and see how it effects my health. Anyone else tried this? I noticed I'm sweating a ton while working out. Will this effect my energy or strength?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
too much salt affects blood pressure by increasing it. The food standards agency recommend no more than 6 g per day.About three-quarters (75%) of the salt we eat is already in the food we buy, including processed foods such as ready meals, sauces, baked beans and pizza.
take a look at http://www.salt.gov.uk/benefits_of_less_salt.html

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As long as you are still getting salt in the foods that you eat I see no problem with it. Know that since you lift your sodium requirements are higher than the average person and you still need sodium within a healthy range and not to try and eliminate it completely.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I would not recommend doing this. Salt plays an important role in delivering nutrients, lubricating joints, providing a pump, etc. Not having enough salt can even be fatal, but more so only in extreme cases and with those that are elderly.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I decided since I'm cooking all my own food to cut all salt out and see how it effects my health. Anyone else tried this? I noticed I'm sweating a ton while working out. Will this effect my energy or strength?
are you talking about not salting your food or straight up eating things with no sodium?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you eat clean, then you should probably be salting your food since whole foods don't contain much sodium. Healthy levels of sodium is good for athletes, but balanced with potassium. I wouldn't cut out all sodium from your diet, you will end up with problems.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
are you talking about not salting your food or straight up eating things with no sodium?
I'm talking about not using the salt grinder anymore. I know all foods contain at least a little sodium, and I know it's very important to have in the diet. I just think how much do we really need? To me, doesn't seem like we should have to salt our food. The way it is natural should be good enough right? It's just an idea... Probably a crazy one... lol

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Use a quality Sea Salt. Problem solved.

reumax

reumax

Awards
if you start to have mystery muscle pains and longer recoveries after workouts, up your sodium. girl i know went too low on sodium and this occurred. just be watchful.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
if you start to have mystery muscle pains and longer recoveries after workouts, up your sodium. girl i know went too low on sodium and this occurred. just be watchful.
Ah, thank you. This is kind of what I was looking for. I'm sort of venturing into uncharted territory so I appreciate the heads up.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Ah, thank you. This is kind of what I was looking for. I'm sort of venturing into uncharted territory so I appreciate the heads up.
let us know how it goes for you. i currently do not salt my food either, haven't for well over a year now. every once and a while i get a craving and salt my cheat meal, normally pizza which is f***ing salty enough, but WTF. the only thing i noticed was when i sweat, it does not taste salty, i'm not really the high BP type, so that didn't improve.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use that NO-SALT stuff (killing two birds with one stone as it's comprised of Potassium)

time lord

time lord

Awards
consider that your muscles work on a what is called a sodium-potassium pump.. meaning these ions are used to both regulate contraction of muscles cells and cell volume (by moving amino acids, glucose, water, and other substrates in and out)

at least go out of your way to make sure youre getting your daily requirement of Na(approx 2500mg)... then eat more depending on how how hard you have worked out. consider that one hour of profuse sweating requires you to intake almost an additional 2000mg of sodium...

you also need to make sure that you are getting your rda of potassium (approx 3500mg). this is much harder than anything sodium related. to do this you will have to really go out of your way to put some fresh sweet potato, dark fibrous greens, mushrooms, squash, etc. into your diet. then bump this up accordingly after heavy resistance training.

you're looking to maintain that 3500/2500 ratio K to Na

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
I started a low sodium diet about a week ago and I am sweating alot during my workouts too. Glad I saw this post because Im only taking in 500-600mg per day. I guess I better add some sea salt

davidadzh

Awards
don't cut out salt comletely as you need it for proper hormone function. i believe its important for the thyroid. do cut out fast food and packaged food as that packs sodium like no other