Question about milk

SnowboardJeff

Awards
In reading a lot of threads in the nutrition section and picking up some good advice/tips it's hard to get a read on one big question I have. My wife and I are working on trimming the body fat and we're drinking a lot of skim milk. It probably takes us 2 days (at the most) to go through a gallon (and it's likely me drinking most of it). I usually have some milk with breakfast, post work out with a shake, before bed with a shake, and sometimes throughout the day for a quick snack. Is milk bad? Could it be something that holds us back from losing fat?

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
i think so, drinking too much milk will set you back on trimming down, check the label and you'll that you could be taking in too many carbs and sugar, you should switch to drinking water. how's your cardio regiment?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
i've heard that the hormones given to cows to make them produce more milk is the reason why young girls are developing faster - because of the estrogen. Now, I've always been skeptical about this but maybe you're retaining water, etc. from excess estrogen

SnowboardJeff

Awards
i've heard that the hormones given to cows to make them produce more milk is the reason why young girls are developing faster - because of the estrogen. Now, I've always been skeptical about this but maybe you're retaining water, etc. from excess estrogen

Hmm... could be why I'm singing soprano now, too.

Just kidding. I haven't heard that before. I think I'm going to try cutting back the milk intake for a while and see what difference it makes. In regards to the cardio question above- I've been working out 5 days/week. Generally it looks like this:
Day 1- chest/back
Day 2- legs
Day 3- shoulder/arms
Day 4 & 5- cardio or running outdoors

According to my HR monitor I'm burning 1000+ calories every workout (4800-5500 per week). My wife and I have had a test done at the gym that lets us know what calories we're burning in specific HR zones and I have been trying to work on my aerobic system, so most of my cardio is below 155 bpm (my anaerobic threshold). Same with my wife's, although her zones are a lot higher than mine.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Actually, the Sugar or Lactose at nightis what is setting you back! When I drink my Before/bed casein shake, I opt for Unsweeten Soy Milk just once a night. I would drink the milk only one time maybe in the morning or mid afternoon. And a good tip is Orangic, Grass feed Cows milk is loaded with CLA so dont go skim! But dont drink throughout the whole day. Thats overdoing it too.

SnowboardJeff

Awards
All right, I've been looking into this today and I'm not really sure I understand. Where do you get the right kind of milk. I bought some organic milk from the grocery store today and it's about $6.50/gal. That's reason enough to not drink it much! It's organic and from cows not treated with rBST. Did I buy the right stuff??

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Yea, you baught the right stuff, but I guess its a little expensive then here in Charlotte, but I get my milk from good old Harris Teeter and te milk is called Horizon Organic milk.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I love milk when im on a bulk, nice easy extra cals!

UKStrength

If you're trying to keep insulin under control during the day then milk might not be the best choice as it's a very strong insulin secretagogue (5 x greater than glucose) (Gannon et al. 2004), not great for body composition on a cut.

This makes it perfect postworkout (to stimulate protein synthesis to the max) or in the morning (to kick you out of catabolism) but not amazing the rest of the day when you need to keep insulin in check.

Perhaps choose something like yogurt or cottage cheese if you need a dairy-fix during the day/at night to reduce the insulin response.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
Actually, the Sugar or Lactose at nightis what is setting you back! When I drink my Before/bed casein shake, I opt for Unsweeten Soy Milk just once a night. I would drink the milk only one time maybe in the morning or mid afternoon. And a good tip is Orangic, Grass feed Cows milk is loaded with CLA so dont go skim! But dont drink throughout the whole day. Thats overdoing it too.
Soy milk? Seems that could have more estrogenic effects than the doped up cows milk...

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
milk also contains lipids which is the precursor to fat, weather 2% takes lipids out as well i do not know but thats one component that may be hindering you

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
milk also contains lipids which is the precursor to fat, weather 2% takes lipids out as well i do not know but thats one component that may be hindering you
Whole milk is rich in leucine, a BCAA which is responsible for preventing catabolism and triggering muscle growth... Who in their right mind would tell someone milk is unhealthy?

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Whole milk is rich in leucine, a BCAA which is responsible for preventing catabolism and triggering muscle growth... Who in their right mind would tell someone milk is unhealthy?
It wasnt saying milk was unhealthy, he asked if drinking milk was preventing fat loss. This is one component i know of milk that could prohibit that.

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Thats why I say one 8 oz in your Pm shake will not hurt you. besides it is ok to have some estrogen in your body, it will raise your test to balance it out, just text book stuff.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
Thats why I say one 8 oz in your Pm shake will not hurt you. besides it is ok to have some estrogen in your body, it will raise your test to balance it out, just text book stuff.
Text book? How about the fact that high doses of soy isoflavones can promote gynecomastia?

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
It wasnt saying milk was unhealthy, he asked if drinking milk was preventing fat loss. This is one component i know of milk that could prohibit that.
It's been proven that dairy products in moderation aid in fat loss...

DrMorris

DrMorris

Awards
Remember that when you are cutting Cals. in have to be less then Cals. out. Some good, and some bad issues with milk, but overall with regards to the cutting question, it provides mostly un-needed calaries. Not alot of value in dairy overall.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
Milk is for babies! When you grow up, you have to drink beer...

l0ck

Awards
Milk is for babies! When you grow up, you have to drink beer...
that's a arnold quote from the pumping iron movie! good stuff..

jef2007

jef2007

Awards
DANG im cutting but i love milk with my meals, i drink 2% but if it means i have to limit it for the cut i guess i'll do it.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
If you're trying to keep insulin under control during the day then milk might not be the best choice as it's a very strong insulin secretagogue (5 x greater than glucose) (Gannon et al. 2004), not great for body composition on a cut.
You're misrepresenting Gannon's papers. He does not single out milk but rather discusses whey and other proteins in general. If you want to discard milk for the reasons presented in the articles, you might as well ditch your tub of whey unless it's low carb and drunk with water. Scratch off eating other protein sources with carbs as well.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
milk isnt gunna hurt u, just calculate it into your caloric intake.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Remember that when you are cutting Cals. in have to be less then Cals. out. Some good, and some bad issues with milk, but overall with regards to the cutting question, it provides mostly un-needed calaries. Not alot of value in dairy overall.
You speak the truth my man

metacat

Awards
16oz. of skim a day should not impede on your fat loss if you are sticking to a strict w/o routine with cardio and a strict diet. I consume 16oz. a day sometimes more and I can drop weight by eliminating other things from my diet and increasing cardio.

Delita420

Delita420

Awards
  • Established
Hasn't anyone read that dairy has advantages towards fat loss? Or is that not true anymore?

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
IMO, milk is great for anytime but a cut. And if your not too serious about cutting, then it's even OK then. I stay below 30 carbs per day so Milk would put me over the limit not to mention the sugar content. But when bulking, it is a great tool.

However, not a fan at all of soy milk.

time lord

time lord

Awards
as long as you are accounting for the cals in the milk you're drinking you're fine. milk is great for you in moderation. don't worry about the carbs at all. despite all the anti-carb fearmongering you hear on here YOU NEED CARBS ALL DAY to lose fat effectively. even when cutting weight you still need at least 45% of daily calories from carbs. dipping below that percentage is always completely unnecessary despite what some broscientists may tell you.

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
lactose sugar from milk is a very low GI carb. It has even a lower GI than white bread and white rice. It's a very good source of carbohydrate for energy. I don't know if you guys have HEB in your states, but the HEB in texas sells High protein low carbohydrate milks. It's 12g protein and 6g carbohydrate per 8oz!!!

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
lactose sugar from milk is a very low GI carb. It has even a lower GI than white bread and white rice. It's a very good source of carbohydrate for energy.
You are right, the gi of milk is about 32 whereas rice can range fron 44-77 white bread is about 70 and oatmeal is 49.

There is nothing to fear from milk, especially skim milk. Calories in calories out can't be stressed enough. If you feel a certain food is causing you problems, cut it out. The science seems to contradict much of the antimilk comments in this thread (unless you're diabetic).

manishfusion

Awards
ya you should drink more milk ... it will help u