Liquid carbs or soild food post wkout?

Rah22491

Awards
Up until now i have always taken in liquid carbs with whey immediatley after my wkout. But i was talking to a very good bodybuilder at my gym who has won multiple overall titles in NC and he was saying that a banana with honey and a whey shake are better. Does anyone kno which is better or Can anyone post up sum articles on this?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i like my waxymaize when i bulk, and whey isolate when i cut

hardly ever changes unless like tonight i did a double workout.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Up until now i have always taken in liquid carbs with whey immediatley after my wkout. But i was talking to a very good bodybuilder at my gym who has won multiple overall titles in NC and he was saying that a banana with honey and a whey shake are better. Does anyone kno which is better or Can anyone post up sum articles on this?
Honestly IMO real food trumps powdered protein and carbs. The problem is sometimes I have trouble eating a meal right after I lift and/or its inconvenient so a premade shake is what I tend to do.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
The honey is going to provide both replenishment for liver glycogen in the form of fructose (as metabolism of this into intermediaries occurrs in the liver) as well as the glucose having a more immediate intake into cells. Banana's are pretty starchy, so that will provide a somewhat longer lasting insulin response. The high fructose could be somewhat controversial, as it will primarily be converged into triglycerides and then blood glucose, but that depends on personal response.

And the whey protein is self explanatory.

I'd say do whatever you think is best or is cheaper. What works for one person in terms of nutrient partitioning and metabolism won't always work for another. I've always stuck with whey and glucose/maltodextrin and probably will just because I don't like anything heavy in my stomach after a workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A mix of both is my preference: a smoothie with a banana, berries, and protein along with a bowl of basmati rice covered in honey.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The honey is going to provide both replenishment for liver glycogen in the form of fructose (as metabolism of this into intermediaries occurrs in the liver) as well as the glucose having a more immediate intake into cells. Banana's are pretty starchy, so that will provide a somewhat longer lasting insulin response. The high fructose could be somewhat controversial, as it will primarily be converged into triglycerides and then blood glucose, but that depends on personal response.

And the whey protein is self explanatory.

I'd say do whatever you think is best or is cheaper. What works for one person in terms of nutrient partitioning and metabolism won't always work for another. I've always stuck with whey and glucose/maltodextrin and probably will just because I don't like anything heavy in my stomach after a workout.
fructose has minimal conversion and storage in muscle tissue,

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah avoid fruit imo, its pretty much useless PWO for the purposes your asking about

General rule of thumb, 40-50g protein, 50-60g of carbs (matlo, waxy or dextrose will do) straight after a workout. 40mins to 1 hour later, some solid complex carbs and a moderate portion of protein (lean).

Thats the generic, i started with that and altered it over the years to suit me and how i respond.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
i do waxy/malto w/ creatine right in the locker room
drive home from the gym about 10 mins
so i have my protein about 20 mins after i get done with the carb shake

then ill eat an hour after the shake if i work out earlier in the day

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
fructose has minimal conversion and storage in muscle tissue,
i don't believe i said anything contrary to that in my post

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the banana is probably to keep his PH balance. consider that sodium/potassium are two polar opposites that regulate your internal PH balance. if one of them is off, your gains slow down. i don't think timing your potassium makes a huge difference, but i'm not an expert on that.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the banana is probably to keep his PH balance. consider that sodium/potassium are two polar opposites that regulate your internal PH balance. if one of them is off, your gains slow down. i don't think timing your potassium makes a huge difference, but i'm not an expert on that.
It's not so much a timing issue, but also the anti-O's in the banana help to limit cellular damage from training. I am a huge proponent of blood pH, which is why I eat produce throughout the day and avoid brown rice and oats.

Rah22491

Awards
i have been takin in cytogainer for a while and love it but may switch to this and see if it makes a difference.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sodium is excreted more readily then potassium it shoulnt be too high of a concern if he is eating balanced

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
No I was just emphasizing it. Fruit pwo is not a great choice as well as fructose drinks
Ah i gotcha...

Definitely agreed, fructose is going to be primarily converted into triglycerides in the liver, especially in the presence of other high glycemic response CHO's, which won't have any practical use for post w/o glycogen replenishment.

But to put this into perspective, the difference between fruits and high fructose(corn syrup) drinks (gatorade, soda) has quite the disparity.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i used to do the dextrose(glucose) maltodextrin + whey, i've also done the waxy maize + bcaas

now I'm doing whey isolate, or even whey isolate mix concentrate with 60-70 grams carbs from rice chex = 3 cups or so

you'll notice that the more whole food you have, t he better you feel esepcially when you are cutting. really unsatisfying to just down a shake that has the equivalent of a lot of food. rice chex are high glycemic, no fiber, only 2 grams of sugar (sugar is part fructose which is not the best pwo). Sure it may not be as fast as the liquid versions i used to do, but I'm gaining mass and doing very well on this new PWO.

the only time i woudln't recommend whole food after a workout is if you have a crappy diet to begin with. If you constantly eat high glycemic carbs and garbage that messes with your insulin (in other words you are insulin INsensitive), then whole food is not going to give you the insulin jolt you need PWO.

I eat all low glycemic carbs except for my PWO, so relatively speaking, rice chex causes a serious insulin spike.