1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by colkurtz_spf View Post
    Thanks for your sympathy. My wife is doing much better now. She and I both have families with a histories of colon problems. Unfortunately, my 16 year old kid eats red meat 24/7.
    Yeah man i hear yah on colon problems. im diagnosed with chrones disease in the colon. I can only have red meat once every two weeks or maybe less than that. My main meat is chicken! Chicken is so much healthier for yah! so much so much so much. But yeah i understand on the digestive problems...

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.57%

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Yeah man i hear yah on colon problems. im diagnosed with chrones disease in the colon. I can only have red meat once every two weeks or maybe less than that. My main meat is chicken! Chicken is so much healthier for yah! so much so much so much. But yeah i understand on the digestive problems...
    My mom has Chron's disease as well.Its tough on her. As for the chicken part..perhaps you should read the articles I posted as this is a misnomer depending on the type and cut of meat you get.
    Make sure you get your fibre bud, it helps my mom out quite a bit...Crohn's is largely genetic(sigh) I am hoping I do not get it.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    Nothing compares to Buffalo...there's a few farms right out here - all grassfed and as fresh as can be.
    Kangaroo compares even better, but not as tasty
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.7%

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    My mom has Chron's disease as well.Its tough on her. As for the chicken part..perhaps you should read the articles I posted as this is a misnomer depending on the type and cut of meat you get.
    Make sure you get your fibre bud, it helps my mom out quite a bit...Crohn's is largely genetic(sigh) I am hoping I do not get it.
    Yeah. Hmmm, i havent heard on the different kinds of cut i could have, that might be something i should look into, cause i dearly miis it! lol...... But yeah whats wierd about chrones is that every single person that has it has a different diet. Like mine i try to keep my veggies in but i cannot have alot of, unless it is cooked very much so. That way its soft for me. If i get any fiber it would be from oatmeal, grains. Yeah it sucks for my bodybuilding goals.... I cant seem to hold my gains. I could get sick one time and i loose alot! But hopefully your mom and I can be those few that the chrones just magically disapears! haha. wishfull thinking. But yeah i understand what your mom is going through and God bless her. Oh and also what i have heard, is that its not as much genetic. I wouldnt worry about it bro. I would just keep an eye out! Honestly docs dont even know where it comes from! kinda aggrevating.....
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.57%

Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Yeah. Hmmm, i havent heard on the different kinds of cut i could have, that might be something i should look into, cause i dearly miis it! lol...... But yeah whats wierd about chrones is that every single person that has it has a different diet. Like mine i try to keep my veggies in but i cannot have alot of, unless it is cooked very much so. That way its soft for me. If i get any fiber it would be from oatmeal, grains. Yeah it sucks for my bodybuilding goals.... I cant seem to hold my gains. I could get sick one time and i loose alot! But hopefully your mom and I can be those few that the chrones just magically disapears! haha. wishfull thinking. But yeah i understand what your mom is going through and God bless her. Oh and also what i have heard, is that its not as much genetic. I wouldnt worry about it bro. I would just keep an eye out! Honestly docs dont even know where it comes from! kinda aggrevating.....
    Yea I have read about the personal diet differences.Its such a hardship on people,who are afflicted.It would be nice to just disapear.I do know that you are more likley to get it if family members have it escpecially mothers and sibllings,from what I have read.I personally feel like a tank,I just hope when I was wild and crazy and ate a lot of funny mushrooms when I was younger that it has no effect on awakening a dormant Chron's gene lol.
    I commend you for your efforts on still trying to stay fit and reach your goals..other people with the disease that I have met just kinda give up on exercise.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.65%

Whos hungry after reading this thread? I am and i've no red meat in my fridge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  7. purebred

saw on ABC. I believe it initially came out on WebMD.

Eating Red Meat May Boost Death Risk
    Study Shows Red Meat Consumption Linked to Higher Risk of Dying From Cancer, Heart Disease
    Eating Red Meat May Boost Death Risk

By Kathleen Doheny
    WebMD Health News
    Reviewed by Elizabeth Klodas, MD, FACC

March 23, 2009 -- Men and women who eat higher amounts of red meat and processed meat have a higher risk of dying from cancer, heart disease, and other causes compared to those who eat less, according to a new study.

Those in the study who ate the most red meat took in about 4.5 ounces a day -- the equivalent of a small steak.

"We found the consumption of red and processed meat is associated with a modest increase in overall mortality, as well as cancer and cardiovascular mortality in both men and women," says study researcher Rashmi Sinha, PhD, a senior investigator at the National Cancer Institute.

The study, supported by the National Cancer Institute, is published this week in the Archives of Internal Medicine. The author of an accompanying editorial says he views the risks found in the study as more than "modest."

Cutting down on red meat and processed meat would result in a "meaningful saving of lives," Barry Popkin, PhD, tells WebMD. Popkin is The Carla Smith Chamblee Distinguished Professor of Global Nutrition at the University of North Carolina School of Public Health, Chapel Hill. In a note accompanying his editorial, he states that he is not a vegetarian and has no financial conflict of interest related to food products affecting health.

Red Meat and Processed Meat Study

The recent study is believed to be the largest study to date looking at the links between red and processed meat and their effect on the risk of death from cancer, heart disease, and other causes, Sinha tells WebMD.

Her team evaluated more than 500,000 men and women who participated in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study. Participants were between the ages of 50 and 71 when the study began in 1995, and all provided detailed information about their food intake.

The researchers followed them for 10 years, using the Social Security Administration's databases to track causes of death. During the follow-up period, 47,976 men and 23,276 women died.

Then the researchers evaluated dietary habits. "We divided people into five categories," Sinha tells WebMD, according to how much red meat and processed meat was eaten on a daily basis.

For the study, red meat included beef, pork, bacon, ham, hamburger, hot dogs, liver, pork sausage, steak, and meats in foods such as pizza, stews, and lasagna.

White meat included turkey, fish, chicken, chicken mixtures, and other meats.

Processed meat was either white or red meat that was cured, dried, or smoked, Sinha says, such as bacon, chicken sausage, lunch meats, and cold cuts.

Meat Intakes: High vs. Low
    What was considered a high intake and what was low?

* For red meat, those in the highest intake group ate a median amount of 4.5 ounces a day (half ate more, half ate less), based on an average 2,000-calorie a day diet. Those in the lowest intake group ate a little over a half-ounce a day.
    * For processed meat, those in the highest intake group about 1.5 ounces a day (about 2 slices of deli turkey), compared to just 0.11 ounces for those in the lowest intake group.
    Meat Intakes: High vs. Low continued...

Those who ate the most red meat as well as the most processed meat had a higher overall risk of dying during the study period as well as a higher risk of dying from cancer and heart disease compared to those who ate the least of both.

For instance, men in the group with the highest intake of red meat had a 31% higher overall risk of dying during the study period than did those in the lowest intake red meat group. And women with the highest intake of red meat had a 50% higher risk of dying due to heart disease. Or put another way, Sinha says that 11% of all deaths in men and 16% of deaths in women could have been prevented if participants cut their red meat consumption to that eaten by the lowest intake group. Heart disease deaths could have been decreased by 11% in men and 21% in women by limiting red meat intake to the amount eaten by the lowest intake group.

For processed meat, the highest intakes were associated with a 16% overall increased risk of dying in men and 25% increased risk in women.

Cancer risk was about 20% higher in those who ate the most red meat, and 10% higher in those who ate the most processed meats.

In contrast, the intake of white meat was often protective, with those eating the most having a slightly lower risk for overall and cancer deaths.

Exactly why red meat and processed meat are associated with increased risks of cancer, heart disease and other deaths isn't known for sure, Sinha says. But the leading explanations, she says, include:

* The meats are a source of carcinogens formed during cooking.
    * The iron in red meat may increase oxidative cell damage, leading to health problems.
    * The saturated fat found in meat has been linked with breast and colorectal cancer.

Industry Perspective

On its web site, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association notes that beef offers protein and other essential nutrients.

It offers information on lean cuts of beef to reduce the amount of saturated fat eaten.

In a statement, Shalene McNeill, PhD, RD, executive director of human nutrition research for the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, says: “As is often the case with epidemiological research on this subject, it is hard to draw substantial conclusions about any one food.” She said the study was complicated by the fact that participants had unhealthy behaviors such as smoking and lack of exercise.

There is a place in the diet for lean meats, she says.

Advice on Meat in the Diet

Sinha tells WebMD that she cannot make recommendations based on the study but says that the results complement the advice of such organizations as the American Institute for Cancer Research.

To reduce cancer risk, the web site of the American Institute for Cancer Research recommends eating no more than 18 ounces of red meat (cooked weight) per week (or about 2.5 ounces a day.) It recommends avoiding processed meat, noting that research suggests that cancer risk starts to increase with any amount.

Popkin agrees that processed meats are worse than red meats from a health point of view. He says the new study results suggest consumers can reduce their risk of dying from cancer, heart disease, or other problems by curtailing their intake of red and processed meats.

But he's not saying it's crucial to give up meat entirely. "I think what this is saying is, 'You don't have to be a vegan. You don't have to be a vegetarian.' But you really need to cut out the sausage and the pepperoni and the baloney, all those processed meats, or have them very little. You also need to be careful and cut down your red meat intake. Have it [only] a couple times a week."
    grass-fed beef is definitely the way to go in the end. i've come across links between red meat and cancer but the meat was charred. no shhh, sherlock. no food is healthy if it's burned. excessive grain consumption increases risk of insulin resistance, fat gain, skin issues, excess inflammation and diabetes. eat your veggies with your meat and make sure you get your daily amount of fiber (25-35 grams ED).

If I'm gonna die, I wanna die big. lol

Grass-Fed Beef Recipes for a Healthy, Hard Body
    by Josef Brandenburg

I don't know about you, but I'm not terribly interested in eating a half pound of horse flesh with cucumbers on the side every morning. This is what Christian Thibaudeau tells us he eats for breakfast, and more power to him, but seriously, sautéed slices of Seabuscuit every single day would get pretty tiresome after about the second week. Of course, that goes for just about anything.

So what do you do when you've run out of healthy food options and you're beginning to loathe your diet? Watch out, that's what. You're setting yourself up to fall way off the hard-body wagon, and once you do, it's too easy to catch the fast train going the other direction. You know the one I mean. That's right, the Man Tit Express, with non-stop service to Lardassville. So stay on the wagon, get your ass in the kitchen, and try some of these excellent beef recipes today. You really can love your food and look good naked.

Oh, and because we want to both look good naked and be healthy, the beef we're after in all these recipes is grass-fed beef. TC's written several articles about the overwhelming superiority of grass-fed beef, but let's review.

From Health Food To Poison

Real beef, that is to say grass-fed beef, is a bona fide health food. It's packed with high quality protein, omega-3s, and even conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). It's also low in the things that you need less of: saturated fat and omega-6s. And it's delicious.
    The corn-fed crap they sell in the grocery store is not real beef. It's poison that looks and tastes sort of like beef. The problem is corn. And as you might suspect, the government is behind it.

Cattle are superbly adapted to thrive on high-cellulose foods like grass. That's why they're called herbivores ("grass eaters"). When you feed cattle a diet based on corn, soybeans, and other grains, they gets fat and sickly, just like people. The meat becomes loaded with pro-inflammatory omega-6s and saturated fat; the anti-inflammatory omega-3s are practically nonexistent.

In an actual free market economy, only an idiot would grow corn, because it costs about a dollar more to produce a bushel of corn than the corn is worth. And you can't eat debt. However, in our country, the government pays farmers to raise corn that the market doesn't want. These subsidies have created a vast surplus of corn, which is sold to feedlots and force-fed to obese couch-potato cows.

It takes about 16 pounds of corn and soy to make just onepound of grain-fed beef. Multiply that by the thousands of tons of grain fed beef produced annually in this country. Under normal supply and demand, corn-fed beef wouldn't exist: it's only possible (by which we mean "profitable") because of about 5 billion dollars a year in government subsidies.

Simply stated, the government uses your tax dollars to pay off farmers and cattle growers who produce inferior food that in fact poisons you. Think about that on April 15.

A Grass-Roots Revolution

Government regulation is largely responsible for the problem of corn-fed, junk-food beef, but we the people are the solution to bring back the healthy meat our ancestors ate and thrived on. We need to start a grass-roots revolution by demanding grass fed beef, and paying the extra few bucks for it.

It's still a bit of a chore to find good grass-fed beef at the local supermarket. Even Whole Foods rarely carries it, although Trader Joe's sometimes does. The best way to get it locally and reliably is at a farmer's market. Here are two great sites to find one near you: Eat Wild, and the USDA's Farmers Market Search. You can also order beef by mail at Tropical Traditions.
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.65%

Quote Originally Posted by study
    For the study, red meat included beef, pork, bacon, ham, hamburger, hot dogs, liver, pork sausage, steak, and meats in foods such as pizza, stews, and lasagna.

White meat included turkey, fish, chicken, chicken mixtures, and other meats.

Processed meat was either white or red meat that was cured, dried, or smoked, Sinha says, such as bacon, chicken sausage, lunch meats, and cold cuts.
    Sounds like the red meat part was all mainly processed crap too, hot dogs, hamburgers,sausages etc
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.14%

My suspicion is that lack of fiber in the diet is the culprit.
    http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/bran_and_cancer2.html
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.14%

just read the books Trick and Treat by barry gooves and GOod Calories, Bad calories by gary taubes.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.7%

Quote Originally Posted by engival View Post
    just read the books Trick and Treat by barry gooves and GOod Calories, Bad calories by gary taubes.
    And? How was the book?
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.61%

Quote Originally Posted by engival View Post
    red meat is easier to digest then most grains and veggies, nuts, seeds...

the only thing that digest easier is eggs, milk and fruits

red meat is natures best food for humans

btw those studies are completely useless junk... i dont even bother to read them anymore
    At least those studies have some research to back their points. Regardless of whether or not you like what they say.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.7%

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    At least those studies have some research to back their points. Regardless of whether or not you like what they say.
    Lol that was blunt. But i was thinking the same thing.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.57%

Like most things in life there is always too much of a good thing...too much fibre can be a hinderance..but none at all is worse.Here are a few other articles on fibre.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6287915.stm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12737858

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...50-433445.html

One study not included in the analysis was the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (Epic), which found a strong link. The Epic results showed that people in the top 20 per cent for fibre intake, who ate an average of 35g of fibre daily, had the risk of colorectal cancer reduced by 40 per cent, compared to those eating 15g a day.

But one of the authors of that study, Sheila Bingham, said it was impossible to be sure if this was causal or coincidental. She said: “Does the fibre cause the reduction, or is it simply that high fibre intake is the sign of a diet that is high in fruit, vegetables and whole grains? If it is the latter, the lowered risk could actually be due to other substances.”

I also believe that a diet high in friuts and veggies+whole grains really does have a large impact on overall health and cancer fighting.I don't think its all from just fibre. I tell you what though it feels great to not be clogged up lol I hate that feeling!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  135 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.87%

I'd say the Last Ronin has a good point, and it's one I've always thought about.

I highly doubt you'd have much of a reduction if you got all your fiber from Metamucil...
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    I work at a BBQ part time and I go to town on the lean brisket.
    Hells yeah. Brisket sandwhich... mmm

Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.04%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Im glad I don't eat animals. I don't want to die from something as silly as a diet change.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.75%

anything can contribute to something. To single out red meat as a risk factor is incorrect. red mead MAY contribute, if other dietary aspects are lacking. There are no natural occurring foods that will contribute to metabolic disease, if all else is in balance. Everything needs to be taken in consideration, it is not as simple as cause and affect.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  221 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.77%

Meat:

Good source: Red Meat (steak, hamburgers)
    Best Source: White Meat (Chicken, Fish)

Plain and simple

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 05:12 PM
  2. New Poll Shows "none Of The Above" Leads Gops !
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
  3. First Date Sex Leads To Better Relationships
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 01:28 PM
  4. Low test, leads to more falls
    By tattoopierced1 in forum News and Articles
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 09:22 AM