To Eat or Not to Eat, Before Bed?

  1. To Eat or Not to Eat, Before Bed?


    After having a discussion with a biochemist and two doctors, I have personally decided to quit eating a protein meal before bed. Instead I am just taking glutamine to help keep the nitrogen levels up, and glycine, lysine and gaba. This way I do not have an insulin response. Eating before bed can also affect sleep, and be problems later in life with eating, I guess. Anybody have any educated comments? I do have a protein meal about 2 hours before this though.


  2. 2 hours before is pretty close to being before bed. i consider the meal i have an hour before my "eating before bed" meal.

  3. Yeah, if I eat something like chicken, 2 to 3 hours before bed, it should be digested, then I take the BCAA's right beofre bed.
    •   
       


  4. Have a protein shake with a mixture of proteins. Eating before bed is not going to hurt you in any way. Your body digests your food, specifically protein, so slowly that you will not be able to avoid a catabolic state later the next day without having eaten before bed and upon waking. Think of it this way... when you eat your body is constantly breaking your protein down into amino acids. Those aminos are available for your body to use whenever it needs them. Your body won't let you know it needs them. If they are there... it uses them... if not it will break down some of your muscle tissue into amino acids for its current needs. This alone is reason enough to eat consistently and frequently throughout the entire day, including before bedtime. I hope this helps.

    BEAST

  5. Quote Originally Posted by IPO Greatness View Post
    Yeah, if I eat something like chicken, 2 to 3 hours before bed, it should be digested, then I take the BCAA's right beofre bed.
    The only problem with consuming aminos right before bed instead of a meal is that scientific studies have shown that direct intake of aminos will spike your blood levels of aminos, specifically leucine very rapidly. This rapid increase causes a spike in protein synthesis, BUT the protein synthesis will decline much more rapidly than if solid protein was ingested. Consuming any protein will cause this same process, BUT in a much slower rising and lowering manner with regards to your body's concentration of amino acids and protein synthesis. In short, take your BCAAs and then 1 hour later (after protein synthesis increases and has declined) take in your solid protein meal right before bed. This will ensure that levels of aminos in the bloodstream and protein synthesis will increase and decrease at a slower rate, making this approach much more valuable before bed than direct consumption of BCAAs alone.

    BEAST

  6. Thanks Wilder, for the reply. Sounds like you are informed. Do you have a link to any of those studies? I want to get my diet dialed in for the best gain possible, naturally. Thanks.

  7. I don't have the specific links, but I think you can find the references and exact studies on MD's website or possibly Dr. Scott Connelly's site.

    BEAST
  8. The Myth
    The Myth's Avatar

    As long as you don't eat after 9pm, you won't get fat, so you have nothing to worry about

  9. Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    As long as you don't eat after 9pm, you won't get fat, so you have nothing to worry about
    Is that "the myth" for the day?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    The only problem with consuming aminos right before bed instead of a meal is that scientific studies have shown that direct intake of aminos will spike your blood levels of aminos, specifically leucine very rapidly. This rapid increase causes a spike in protein synthesis, BUT the protein synthesis will decline much more rapidly than if solid protein was ingested. Consuming any protein will cause this same process, BUT in a much slower rising and lowering manner with regards to your body's concentration of amino acids and protein synthesis. In short, take your BCAAs and then 1 hour later (after protein synthesis increases and has declined) take in your solid protein meal right before bed. This will ensure that levels of aminos in the bloodstream and protein synthesis will increase and decrease at a slower rate, making this approach much more valuable before bed than direct consumption of BCAAs alone.

    BEAST
    Very interesting. I also have a study in a book of mine that is a little different. Damn studies are always conflicting each other..seems to never end. The Dr was in favor of keeping the growth hormone relase going 24 hours a day with aminos taken before exercise and sleep. He spoke of keeping the insulin drive going to combine with growth hormone by eating the usual small means many times a day. I guess the jist of it was a sleep diet regimen to maximize growth hormone levels and insulin drive. It went something like this:
    6am - meal 1
    8am - aminos -Gym
    10am post gym meal 2, then 30-60 minute nap
    12 noon meal 3
    2pm-aminos gym round 2
    4pm-post gym meal 4, 30-60 minute nap
    7pm -meal 5
    9pm-aminos, then sleep
    1am- meal 6, sleep
    4am- aminos

    There were a myriad of other factors that came into play with retrospect to IGF, insulin acts directly on the muscle to drive amino acids into the muscle cells for protein synthesis. Your thoughts Beast?
  11. The Myth
    The Myth's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbachew View Post
    Is that "the myth" for the day?
    Hey, it's no more of a myth than the OP was insinuating with his post

  12. I eat cottage cheese before bed, about 1 hr. I noticed results. I have no fancy studies to back it up tho.

  13. Well cottage cheese is good bc its more cassein than whey. If it was just whey then maybe 1 or 2 hours give or take it will be gone. Maybe something like a cassein shake or something like Syntha-6 or Mucsle milk would be great too before bed. Sometimes at night if I feel the need to eat again I would just do a shake really. Just so I can avoid carbs and feed what my body really wants...protein.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Stallion83 View Post
    Well cottage cheese is good bc its more cassein than whey. If it was just whey then maybe 1 or 2 hours give or take it will be gone. Maybe something like a cassein shake or something like Syntha-6 or Mucsle milk would be great too before bed. Sometimes at night if I feel the need to eat again I would just do a shake really. Just so I can avoid carbs and feed what my body really wants...protein.
    Yeah i love eating before bed. sometimes ice cream.lol. Im a pb cup JUNKIE.

  15. Dedlifter, I used to eat cottage cheese before bed too. I would go through over a big tub of it in a day. Still love the stuff, but was just worried about my sodium intake being too high, so I eat it only once a day now. I still wonder if taking the aminos before bed is better than the cottage cheese. I might not ever know. I miss my cottage cheese though. So quick and convenient. Very expensive though.

  16. CMC,

    Were you taking exogenous insulin, GH, of IGF-1, because that would make some degree of difference? However, immediately pre and post workout I agree that BCAAs are better than a meal. As a doctor he should also be aware that it is impossible to keep GH high 24hours a day, especially if you are increasing insulin levels, whether it be through natural or chemical means. Typically, when GH is high, insulin will be low and vice versa. My personal opinion is that it is optimal to maintain 6-8 protein meals per day and taking BCAAs between each meal and pre/post workout if you have the wherewithall to do so. Pre bed I still believe eating a protein meal vs. BCAA will keep your GH as high as possible, your protein synthesis and nitrogen balance optimal, and flow of aminos to the muscles throughout the entire night steadier.

    BEAST

  17. Quote Originally Posted by IPO Greatness View Post
    Dedlifter, I used to eat cottage cheese before bed too. I would go through over a big tub of it in a day. Still love the stuff, but was just worried about my sodium intake being too high, so I eat it only once a day now. I still wonder if taking the aminos before bed is better than the cottage cheese. I might not ever know. I miss my cottage cheese though. So quick and convenient. Very expensive though.
    Yeah it can get expensive, i eat the cabot brand as well, pricey. i eat it with bacon bits when im bulking. DElicious!

  18. Not sure what the Cabot brand is. I just eat the 1%. Fat free tastes too bad, IMO.

  19. I ALWAYS eat before bed, even if its just cereal. and im at like 8% bodyfat. I do it because im a hard gainer and the more calories i eat the better. also my body can still get nutrients while i sleep. if i dont eat before bed i wake up starving and i feel like im anorexic.

  20. I eat about 2.5hrs before bed, then about 30mins pre-bed I take Somnidren GH, ZMK, Purple Wrath, ALCAR, and VitC.

  21. 2 hours before bed and if im still hungry.. top it off with a protein shake with an extra scoop jus to fill me up

  22. Quote Originally Posted by dedlifter1 View Post
    I will deadlift you while you are deadlifting your max.
    Bitch slapping mother nature, one pound at a time.
    If the bars not bending, your only pretending. .
    I love this guy hahahaha...Anyway I often eat beef jerky and a 50 gram pro, 60 carb, bcaa, creatine and fiber shake before bed. Even if I eat a late dinner I force this stuff down and so far I'm liking the results.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  

  
 

Log in
Log in