Diet Soda?

Danny813

Awards
Im currenty cutting for my comp in 5 weeks and i have been drinking diet soda and i was wondering is diet soda bad to have in a diet? will it hurt my results? or should i just go back to drinking strickely water?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
water and iced green tea with no sweetener

Danny813

Awards
So are you saying that the soda is bad to drink well preping for a comp?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, both in general as well as because of sodium levels. Its bad to drink in general :)

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
All the artificial crap in there can cause water retention I believe...I wouldn't use it pre contest but in a normal cutter I still drink diet soda...sometimes its a life saver...

dpfisher

When I was in the best shape before I started lifting was when I was drinking 2l of diet mt dew a day... Not a practice I recommend but I still enjoy a couple cans a day.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
I'd drop the diet soda a couple of weeks before comp. Like Easy mentioned, water and green tea from there on. I'd say 1 or 2 diet soda's should be ok until your 2 weeks out due to it causing water retention.

WannabeBatman

WannabeBatman

Awards
Diet soda in general is bad for you, considering the aforementioned things listed above (high sodium, water retention, etc.). Most diet sodas if not all of them contain Aspartame which is considered to be GRAS (ok its GRAS as a medicine, but not a food additive, but still makes me wonder) (i.e. generally regarded as safe, long term affects on human body are not known). I read about a study on of Aspartame on mice which caused cancer in a large number of the test subjects who were exposed to consistent levels on aspartame over a long period of time.

Also diet soda (and soda in general) erodes tooth enamel, increases the risk of metabolic syndrome, and a whole slew of other nasty things. Stick with water and green tea.

Best,
TWB

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
I drink diet coke alot about a 12 pack every 9 days that is not including energy drinks. I know it is bad, but I am kind of addicted to caffeine. Working on cutting back though. I also enjoy beef jerky, which has a much higher sodium content. Diet coke=40mg sodium as compared to jack links jerky which is about 600mgs sodium per serving with a total of 3 servings per bag. I increased my daily intake of water since I started doing low carb.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I drink diet dew like its going outa style, and never notice any issues with it.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
I read that pouring boiling water over green tea will destroy its antioxidizing effects. You have to heat it up to a certain degree.

kkschaef

kkschaef

Awards
Ditch the soda. There is too much sodium and artificial sweetners. As everyone else has stated drink water and green tea.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You shouldn't be worried about diet soda unless you are drinking a shitload of it. If you are only drinking a couple can a day, then you can keep it around until 2.5-2 weeks out. The sodium levels can be flushed out by taking in extra potassium. Don't go overboard with it though.

The Myth

I drink up to 3-4 liters diet soda a day and have not experienced any adverse effects. LMAO at people concerned with the "high" sodium content in diet soda. Wow, all of 45mg per can? You need 4-8 GRAMS of sodium a day in your diet, providing you intake plenty of fluids.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I drink diet dew like its going outa style, and never notice any issues with it.

If Trip drinks it and looks like he does I think we need not worry about diet soda consumption ;)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Diet soda has aspartame. I wouldn't recommend drinking that.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Diet soda has aspartame. I wouldn't recommend drinking that.
Here we go again with the aspartame concerns.

A 2007 safety evaluation found that the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.[24] The sources and claims of many alleged aspartame dangers and conspiracies have been the subject of critical examination. In 1987, the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that the food additive approval process had been followed for aspartame.[20][25] Based on government research reviews and recommendations from advisory bodies such as the European Commission’s Scientific Committee on Food and the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries world-wide.[26][27] In 1999, FDA scientists described the safety of aspartame as "clear cut" and stated that the product is "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved."[28]

Worry about something else IMO.

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
All the artificial crap in there can cause water retention I believe...I wouldn't use it pre contest but in a normal cutter I still drink diet soda...sometimes its a life saver...
Agreed (though I wouldnt know anything about preparing for a contest). Caffeine Free Diet Dr Pepper has been a godsend in this cut!

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
If your worried about aspartame, their's plenty of diet soda's sweetned with splenda. I know Coke Zero, Pepsi One and Diet Rite cola's off the top of my head.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Coke Zero is sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame potassium (ace-k) and has zero calories. The only chemical difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke is that Coke Zero has about half the aspartame but has more ace-k.

searcyc2

Awards
Ditch the soda. There is too much sodium and artificial sweetners. As everyone else has stated drink water and green tea.
I really Don't think diet soda has a lot of sodium. I think its about 35mg per serving. That's hardly nothing. Cottage cheese has an insane amount of sodium. Mine has over 400mg per serving

searcyc2

Awards
Also, I think the word aspartame just simply scares ppl by the way it sounds.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
coke zero rules, i'd get a friggin IV if i could. haven't noticed anything negative from it, and i'm still dropping or adding the pounds as i see fit.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I drink up to 3-4 liters diet soda a day and have not experienced any adverse effects. LMAO at people concerned with the "high" sodium content in diet soda. Wow, all of 45mg per can? You need 4-8 GRAMS of sodium a day in your diet, providing you intake plenty of fluids.
this man knows what hes talking about.. yeah balance the water with the sodium

8's on the higher end for most on average. do you count your sodium everyday?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
coke zero rules, i'd get a friggin IV if i could. haven't noticed anything negative from it, and i'm still dropping or adding the pounds as i see fit.
Cherry Coke Zero fan here. That or Fresca.

I try not to drink too much as I monitor my caffeine intake.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Here's a list of the diet drinks that contain splenda that I've found by using google search:

Diet Coke (Look for the Splenda® logo on the front. Some Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame and some contains Splenda®. In my area, some supermarkets carry both types of Diet Coke, but many only have the aspartame version.)

- Pepsi One (Most retailers that carry Pepsi Products carry Pepsi One.)

- Diet Rite (Diet Rite sodas are available in a number of great flavors, including cola, tangerine, white grape, red raspberry, and cherry cola. See Diet Rite for more information.)

-Jones Diet Sodas (These tasty sodas are available in black cherry, cream soda, cola, green apple, and other great flavors. In my area, they are available at Target, WalMart, Winn Dixie, and a number of convenience stores. See the Jones store locator to find an outlet near you.)

- Hansen's Diet Sodas (These tasty sodas are available in black cherry, peach, kiwi strawberry, tangerine lime, ginger ale, root beer, and grapefruit. I have found these in Trader Joe's when visiting relatives in Arizona and my local health food store has special ordered them for me. )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davy25 Nutrition / Health 32
Nutrition / Health 40
brockles Weight Loss 1
mister ed Nutrition / Health 43
sf9ersfan8 Weight Loss 42