The Refeed/carb up MEGA thread.. - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

The Refeed/carb up MEGA thread..

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    FYI-

As warning, after following 6 weeks of bulking style ckd, I developed acid reflux. Be careful.
    Thanks for the heads up.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyName View Post
    From me if I think to hardly about carbs I get fat and bloat. I think it will provide me a bit of a safety net as I have not fully mastered the load. I have noticed that the addition of ALA lets me eat about a 100 more grams without seeing or feeling the bloat. But Thomas you seem to have a pretty good grasp on this would you suggest foregoing these?

First, what exactly is your problem during the carb load? Over eating? And if so, over eating carbs or fats and how is your protein intake?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

K tried to pm you but it wouldnt let me. Imp sorry not trying to jack your thread.
    If I go all day(starchies and simple sugars) I end up becoming bloaty and loose my vascularity, honestly in like one day probably within 12 hours. I seem to have a reall issue with holding water. If I use one meal, (starch only) I can tell there is no spill over but I dont have the energy to really push it during the week. I hope I am not bothering you but I have a strong deisre to do this and thus far it has been the most effective diet I have ever tried. Thanks for your time.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

K tried to pm you but it wouldnt let me. Imp sorry not trying to jack your thread.
    If I go all day(starchies and simple sugars) I end up becoming bloaty and loose my vascularity, honestly in like one day probably within 12 hours. I seem to have a reall issue with holding water. If I use one meal, (starch only) I can tell there is no spill over but I dont have the energy to really push it during the week. I hope I am not bothering you but I have a strong deisre to do this and thus far it has been the most effective diet I have ever tried. Thanks for your time.
    Of course you will lose your vascularity, and look like a bloated mess, that is part of the process. In two days you should be shedding that water by going back to low carb/training/cardio...

You need to get over that mentally.. I used to have the same prob.. Wake up Saturday morning looking lean, then within hrs i looked like i gained 10% bodyfat..

There is a great thread over at IM displaying this.. Ill post the pics here... They were originally posted by Dante's Disciple. 200lbs after his refeed Sunday night, to 176 by tuesday. By the before pics he could be 15% bodyfat, but in reality he is like 4-5% IIRC.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

Yeah the mental aspect has definitely been kicking my butt. Thanks for responding and again sorry if it seemed like I was jacking your thread.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Yeah the mental aspect has definitely been kicking my butt. Thanks for responding and again sorry if it seemed like I was jacking your thread.
    No worries man..

You gotta just forget about it. You know how many times i would wake up sat morning looking lean as hell, and within 2-3hrs id be like a marshmallow..lol But that next Saturday i was leaner

If you are going for fat loss, all that matters is every week you are losing fat(going down in weight)
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.

subbd for more info....
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    No worries man..

You gotta just forget about it. You know how many times i would wake up sat morning looking lean as hell, and within 2-3hrs id be like a marshmallow..lol But that next Saturday i was leaner

If you are going for fat loss, all that matters is every week you are losing fat(going down in weight)
    that's generally true losing body fat. to every rule there are exceptions and I totally agree on your point.

exceptions(some examples). like if your still gaining muscle while losing fat,it was way slower do doubt, still got stronger while doing a six month cut, or if you a long took time off and are gaining muscle and losing fat,muscle memory comes back fast, and using super supplements, while losing body fat.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Had a refeed meal(have another in about two hours)

here it is

Olean Ruffles fat free cheddar and sour creme chips...96 Carbs, 18 protein , 0 fat (they are good!)

Lean cuisine traditional deluxe pizza 50 carbs 19 protein , 8 fat

weight watchers smart-one's brownie A la mode 72 crbs, 10 protein,8 fat

4. Reeses Puff's (cereal) 30 carbs,3 protein, 5 fat

that comes to 198 carbs 50 protein and 21 fat and 2,430 sodium
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Had a refeed meal(have another in about two hours)

here it is

Olean Ruffles fat free cheddar and sour creme chips...96 Carbs, 18 protein , 0 fat (they are good!)

Lean cuisine traditional deluxe pizza 50 carbs 19 protein , 8 fat

weight watchers smart-one's brownie A la mode 72 crbs, 10 protein,8 fat

4. Reeses Puff's (cereal) 30 carbs,3 protein, 5 fat

that comes to 198 carbs 50 protein and 21 fat and 2,430 sodium
    Man.. NEVER again for me, with those..lol I ate almost 2 bags one refeed, and i woke up in the middle of the night and had the most ****ed up stomach EVER from the Olean.. They ****ed me up something fierce... I just eat the Baked ones now.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Man.. NEVER again for me, with those..lol I ate almost 2 bags one refeed, and i woke up in the middle of the night and had the most ****ed up stomach EVER from the Olean.. They ****ed me up something fierce... I just eat the Baked ones now.
    I'll keep this in mind just in case it does happen.

next and last re feed meal for a while

lean cuisine garlic pizza 20 protein 50 carb 7 fat 670 sodium

weight watchers turtle sundae 8 protein, 68 carb, 10 fat
    210 sodium

piece of white bread with honey and piece of white bread with low fat cream cheese 5 protein, 30 carbs 7 fat

pomegranate juice 30 carbs(soothes my stomach a bit)

couple sips of IBC root beer poured rest down drain stomach doesnt feel like and and I think i got plenty in.

protein 30-32
    carbs 180-200
    fat 27
    sodium 900

fat was on the high side. I know next time to watch fat a bit closer.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

I wish you woul'dve mentioned that before, I would've told you about those! Ever hear of the "WOW" chips? The ones that cause anal leakage? Olestra is not too good.

If you want something good for your carb up, Popcorn.
  13. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

quick question.. is going to the gym on a carb day strictly prohibited? Will it be detrimental? Reason I ask is I work on a rotating schedule so gym days for me change thoughout the week only thing I can keep constant is my eating, I guess I can stretch out my keto period until I hit the gym enough times before a refeed but was just wondering
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

My past carb up included these things:
    Natures Valley Granola Bars - Maple & BS , Peanut Butter, original.
    Turkey on Wheat Sandwhiches
    At least 6 cups of yogurt throughout the day
    1.5lbs of raw thick rolled oats
    pint of blue berries

Except for the Turkey sandwiches, I mixed all the other stuff up into a Muesli and went to town. I added a couple of the original Pslin's (yellow caps) before my first meal and I literally had the most painful pumps of my life. It was so bad at one point that I got a pump in my abs while I was doing some wiring under a desk at work that actually made me lay on the ground gasping for air. Moral of the story, Max Effort Dead lifts + Pslin + Carbs = Pain lol. I was actually surprised though, this was the first carb up where I didn't go into a carb comma at all throughout the day.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    quick question.. is going to the gym on a carb day strictly prohibited? Will it be detrimental? Reason I ask is I work on a rotating schedule so gym days for me change thoughout the week only thing I can keep constant is my eating, I guess I can stretch out my keto period until I hit the gym enough times before a refeed but was just wondering
    Going to the gym is fine, just be sure to do it before you start your carb up. A lot of the guys here do a depletion workout before their carb ups to enhance the effects of the glycogen supercompensation. Personally I usually do a Max Effort lower body day before mine and it does wonders for my recovery, also it has made a great difference in my strength.
    Muscle Pharm Rep
  16. Pro Virili Parte

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

no I mean say carb up is sat sun.. hitting the gym sat night and sun night.. how bad would htat be or is it acceptable?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

From what I understand the point of the refeed is to refill muscle glycogen stores, and I'm assuming by working out during the carb-up, your body will use the carbs for energy, making your muscles undercompensated for the needed carbs and possibly taking your body longer to get back into ketosis. This is just me talking from a strictly common sense standpoint.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I wish you woul'dve mentioned that before, I would've told you about those! Ever hear of the "WOW" chips? The ones that cause anal leakage? Olestra is not too good.

If you want something good for your carb up, Popcorn.
    Nice.
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I was actually surprised though, this was the first carb up where I didn't go into a carb comma at all throughout the day.
    good choice of works, carb comma and so true.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

I thought I sub'd to this thread but I guess I missed it. I had a carb load last weekend, did it for 2 days and got down about 2,000gr of carbs (and Im dieting ) On monday I resumed my AD type diet and wow, I look'd so full and vascular. During the load I drank almost zero water but polished off the following.

2 Oreo Pie's
    1 cheesecake
    6 crispy creme glazed donuts
    6 canoli's (sp?)
    2 boxes blueberry waffles
    -syrup

I had a few beers saturday night which probably isnt the best idea but whatever.....I had a good time. The AM online show is on sunday so I plan on trying to duplicate this again.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I thought I sub'd to this thread but I guess I missed it. I had a carb load last weekend, did it for 2 days and got down about 2,000gr of carbs (and Im dieting ) On monday I resumed my AD type diet and wow, I look'd so full and vascular. During the load I drank almost zero water but polished off the following.

2 Oreo Pie's
    1 cheesecake
    6 crispy creme glazed donuts
    6 canoli's (sp?)
    2 boxes blueberry waffles
    -syrup

I had a few beers saturday night which probably isnt the best idea but whatever.....I had a good time. The AM online show is on sunday so I plan on trying to duplicate this again.
    where do you get Oreo pies? I heard there low fat I check wal-mart, krogers and country-mart in the bakery section and they didnt have them...are they in the bakery section or a different section?

was the cheesecake low fat?

I know crispy cremes arnt are they. this sounds more like a ****load than a Skipload, which also works I hear.

Impressive have you eating no pudge fudge ? its totally fat free. its in Skips thread on IM.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

where do you get Oreo pies? I heard there low fat I check wal-mart, krogers and country-mart in the bakery section and they didnt have them...are they in the bakery section or a different section?

I know crispy cremes arnt are they. this sounds more like a ****load than a Skipload, which also works I hear.

Impressive have you eating no pudge fudge ? its totally fat free. its in Skips thread on IM.
    Yea both were low fat. I found mine in the freezer section at Giant Eagle.

I dont know what no pudge fudge is, that mofo is holding out on me
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

how often should you carb up on the ckd diet? once a week?
  24. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

You can buy the premade gram cracker, or oreo pie crusts, and fill with the instant pudding flavor of your choosing.. I eat atleast a whole pie every refeed.. I made a oreo crusted, oreo pudding, one last weekend, and it was BOMB.
  25. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

You can buy the premade gram cracker, or oreo pie crusts, and fill with the instant pudding flavor of your choosing.. I eat atleast a whole pie every refeed.. I made a oreo crusted, oreo pudding, one last weekend, and it was BOMB.
    I was thinking about making both an oreo cake and cheese cake this weekend! I dorpped like $30 on those 3 cakes. Homemade ones will be like $10 and probably better and I can better regulate macros.

Whats this no pudge fudge smeton was talking about? If you have a link I'll hit it up.

Oh I also forgot to add I ate a whole box of reese puffs with some choc whey . Thanks for the advice Imprez!
  26. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

THe pudding pie is like under 5 to make.. Pudding is like 99cents or less..lol
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

THe pudding pie is like under 5 to make.. Pudding is like 99cents or less..lol
    got the oreo pudding with crust
    couldnt find the infamous no pudge fudge Imers are raving about.
    got the cheddar /sour chips
    some lean cusine pizza
    and some chicken and rice stuff very low fat, high carbs

saw some ideas: they have low fudge browies 3 grams fat 30 carbs..some cakes and such
  28. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

I have been killing peanut chocolate chunk granola bars, and low fat chocolate chunk granola bars.

Man, the oreo pudding pie is so bomb..lol Make sure you use the correct for amount of milk, or it will come out wattery(it says on the side of the box for pie directions)
  29. dpfisher

Dear god I cannot understand how some of you guys can consume so much plain sugar at a time. Even a couple sodas make me feel kinda sick.
  30. The Myth

NOW THIS IS MY TYPE OF THREAD!

YOU GUYS NEED TO CHECK MY BLOG ARCHIVES UNDER "REFEED" TO SEE WHAT A TRUE REFEED DAY LOOKS LIKE!
  31. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
    NOW THIS IS MY TYPE OF THREAD!

YOU GUYS NEED TO CHECK MY BLOG ARCHIVES UNDER "REFEED" TO SEE WHAT A TRUE REFEED DAY LOOKS LIKE!
    lol.. I don't know how the **** you do it man.. The most i have got was just under 3k, and i felt like hell.

Throw some pics up in here
  32. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

What supps are good during ketosis to increase performance /intensity in the gym. This is the first time I am doing a CKD while being 'natural' and my performance and strength sucks right now. I've only done a couple CKD's before, this is the longest one I have been doing and I think I'm going to keep it up as my regular diet. Really liking it now overall except for gym performance.

I am thinking CRE02 + bulk beta alanine. Anything else?
    Carbs around my workout are not gonna happen..
  33. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dpfisher View Post
    Dear god I cannot understand how some of you guys can consume so much plain sugar at a time. Even a couple sodas make me feel kinda sick.
    As someone else mentioned in this thread, taking NA-RALA really stops the bloating and does a good job of shuttling those carbs. I wouldn't do a refeed without it personally. But eating so much plain sugar and carbs puts me into comatose mode.
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    What supps are good during ketosis to increase performance /intensity in the gym. This is the first time I am doing a CKD while being 'natural' and my performance and strength sucks right now. I've only done a couple CKD's before, this is the longest one I have been doing and I think I'm going to keep it up as my regular diet. Really liking it now overall except for gym performance.

I am thinking CRE02 + bulk beta alanine. Anything else?
    Carbs around my workout are not gonna happen..
    High protein is the main important thing. at least 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight. of course wlots of water 1.5-2 gallons

yeah creatine, and beta alanine and good. A fat burner that works well with your body.
  35. The Myth

lol.. I don't know how the **** you do it man.. The most i have got was just under 3k, and i felt like hell.

Throw some pics up in here
    Bro my refeeds have gotten significantly weaker now that I'm not dieting anymore, as I don't have that ravenous appetite. The foods still taste incredible, but I just can't eat the same astronomical amount, lol. Pics will always be on my blog though
  36. New Member

today I tryed the Reefeed in thisway, a lot of food, rice, pasta, but even a lot fat (from pizza, same oil, from sweety).
    i'm feel very full, and my muscle appear more dense.
    it seems to work for me, but i want to see how i look this week, and if I look good, i doit often, because in this way you can enjoy food (even if i must reduce my fat intake this days)
  37. The Myth

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    today I tryed the Reefeed in thisway, a lot of food, rice, pasta, but even a lot fat (from pizza, same oil, from sweety).
    i'm feel very full, and my muscle appear more dense.
    it seems to work for me, but i want to see how i look this week, and if I look good, i doit often, because in this way you can enjoy food (even if i must reduce my fat intake this days)
    Why not make your food taste just as good as the fatty stuff, but without the fat?
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    how often should you carb up on the ckd diet? once a week?
    Generally.

1. Don't go over 48 hours
    2. If you are higher body fat keep it around 24.
    3. Lower, go to 48.
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

T In this article Skip says he cuts all dairy out due to people in one way or another usually to some degree are lactose intolerant

These are my thoughts...You can eat pies,(which are pudding with milk[even lactose free fat free milk]) on refeeds up untill the last refeed, the last refeed before the competition it is probally best to avoid dairy products like a pie(even if it is lactose free milk) just to make sure. sure maybe you can eat your cereal because your not eating a lot.

imprezivr6,The Myth what are your thoughts on this if you don't mind?
  40. The Myth

T In this article Skip says he cuts all dairy out due to people in one way or another usually to some degree are lactose intolerant

These are my thoughts...You can eat pies,(which are pudding with milk[even lactose free fat free milk]) on refeeds up untill the last refeed, the last refeed before the competition it is probally best to avoid dairy products like a pie(even if it is lactose free milk) just to make sure. sure maybe you can eat your cereal because your not eating a lot.

imprezivr6,The Myth what are your thoughts on this if you don't mind?
    For me, I recorded, week after week, the time it took me to "baseline" following my refeed, i.e., return to my pre-refeed weight. It always took me 4 days to baseline. Because I ALWAYS included dairy in my refeeds, all I had to do was load 4 days prior to the contest without having to worry about the dairy affecting my conditioning, because I knew all the water retention would be gone by then.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM
  2. CK/Anabolic Diet mega thread
    By Rugger in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 573
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
  3. Carb Refeed
    By CryingEmo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 04:25 PM
  4. Carb Refeed