D1 Defensive End Bulking Up

jemmons95

Awards
Division 1 defensive end sitting at about 236 after redshirting this year. Looking to try to get to 245 before spring ball and a lean 247-250 by next season. I know it won't be easy but pretty intregal on my season next year and coaches defintley think i could be a big factor on the team. Have never really taken my diet serious but now that im at a division 1 school its a really important part of getting ahead and making myself the best football player i can be. I am very active with workouts and training and have had a tough time recentley putting on weight so here is the bulking schedule i came up with. I am very disciplined so i know i can stick to this, just wanna see how this bulking schedule would be for sum1 that is 6'3 236 and pretty lean.

Breakfast
- 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites
-1 bowl of oatmeal
- 1 boal of yogurt
-2 cups of mixed fruit or 1 piece of fruit (bannana/apple/orange)
- 1 piece of whole wheat toast
-1 glass of milk
- 1 glass of apple/grape/ cranberry juice

Mid Morning Meal
-1 cup of almonds
-1 packet/can of tuna
-1 piece of fruit
-1 granola bar

Lunch
-2 chicken breasts
-1 serving pasta
-1 whole wheat turkey and ham sandwhich with mustard
- 1 serving vegetables
- Powerade
- Water

Post Workout Meal (3pm)
- 1 Cytogainer Shake
- 1 Peanut Butter Sandwhich on Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 serving size of pretzels

Dinner
- 2 Rottisirie Chicken / 2 Burger Patties without Bread
- 1 Serving Vegetables
- Brown or Wheat Rice
- Salad
- Oatmeal
- Turkey/Lean Meat 2 servings
- 1 glass milk
- 1 glass juice

Pre-Bed Meal
-Cottage Cheese
-Trail Mix

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: 1 to 1.5 gallons of water

Supplements:
Creatine Monohydrate
Cytogainer
White Flood (Pre-Workout)
Orange Triad Multivitamin

Really any help is greatly appreciated. I am not sure how many calories this is but i do need to eat a lot to gain weight with such a heavy training and lifting schedule. I have never really done any sort of calorie counting or anything like that. Obviously I do not need to be as strict as a bodybuilder but all my dreams and goals do rely heavily on my nutriton a lot.I am very dedicated and hopefulluy will still be able to improve a lot. I have done much research on bodybuilding.com and finally feel my research is coming full circle and have a good grasp on most of it. Any experts on diet definitley appreciated and on supplements too.

Here are my current stats

Height 6'3
Weight: 235
Position: Defensive End
Bench: 330
Squat: 435
Hang Clean: 290
40: 4.89
Vertical Jump: 31 inches
Year: Freshman (will be redshirt freshman next season)

Thank you everyone for your help, i am very dedicated and appreciate any advice on being the best! Any help nutirion and supplement wise. Training is really determined by my school since im a d1 athlete but they are doing a great job.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
How many calories is that?
Don't you have a nutritionist and or strength coach at your disposal?

jemmons95

Awards
i have no idea how many calories that is. I am not really sure how to calcuate it. Yes we have a coach for this however I do not beleive in some of his methods. they are esentially telling me to eat whatever and whenever, pizza, cheeseburgers, ice cream and ****. I do believe that will put weight on but i do not beleive it will be the most efficient for my carear. This is my future so i want to do it the right way and i feel like this is the best place to come to put on lean mass. If somehow I could calculate calories, i definitley would. Sorry for the confusion

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Good man. Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders.
If you make the food yourself, just calculate proportions and then use the given nutritional data. If you eat cafe food, ask if they have a nutritional pamphlet. If not, just eat a bunch, then eat less if you see yourself gaining fat.

jemmons95

Awards
are there anyu websites that could be used to calculate calories/ macros?? thanks

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Jemmons, I used fitday before to calculate my calories and nutritional break down. You wouldnt happen to go to Notre Dame would you? I heard their nutrition program and Strength program has been lousy for the last few years and Mendoza is on the hot seat for not having his players on specific diets and training programs. Does your school have an athletic dining hall or are you required to eat with the regular students?

jemmons95

Awards
Jemmons, I used fitday before to calculate my calories and nutritional break down. You wouldnt happen to go to Notre Dame would you? I heard their nutrition program and Strength program has been lousy for the last few years and Mendoza is on the hot seat for not having his players on specific diets and training programs. Does your school have an athletic dining hall or are you required to eat with the regular students?
thanks for that information. No i dont go to Notre Dame, I wish! haha. I actually go to a D1 FCS( formely 1AA) program which is still pretty good though. we are requrited to eat with the regular students which pretty sucks haha. Thank you though. The workouts and training is great, just think i could be a little more beneficial in terms of nutrition

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Looks pretty good at first glance without knowing calories and macro breakdown.

Only thing I see is that you might want to get some more protein in your breakfast, and I personally would eat 4 whole eggs instead of 1 and 3 whites. It also wouldn't hurt to make your own gainer shake instead of a pre-made one. It would be better quality and a hell of a lot cheaper.

It looks pretty low on fat too, don't be afraid of getting some fat in there.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
dude increase ur carbs.... the biggest thing to gaining weight is carbs and protein.... if your doing alot of intense lifting and im assuming agility training and stuff you need way more carbs then someone just trying to get big that isnt in a sport, you have to remember your going to burn way more calories then most lifters......

jemmons95

Awards
thanks for the responses, this is defnitley helping

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
dude increase ur carbs.... the biggest thing to gaining weight is carbs and protein.... if your doing alot of intense lifting and im assuming agility training and stuff you need way more carbs then someone just trying to get big that isnt in a sport, you have to remember your going to burn way more calories then most lifters......
You do not need carbs to gain weight.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I found out the hard way.

I was eating 20-30g of carbs a day but a lot of meat and eggs, gained a sh*t load of weight.

Insulin is ONE of the ways to gain weight.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
A D1 Defensive End whose looking to bulk is about the last person who needs to/should go low carb.

Carbs can definitely help one gain weight.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
A D1 Defensive End whose looking to bulk is about the last person who needs to/should go low carb.

Carbs can definitely help one gain weight.

Agreed....Carbs are an easy way to put on weight and stil have energy....Low carb makes me feel dead all day....

also since your an athelete you are going to want to use a high carb diet now, since you will need to continue it for the season....

I played football, even though it was only in high school, and i cant imagine playing low carb, you would be exhausted

....also eat for the weight you want to be at, not the weight that your at now....eat an extra bowl or two of oatmeal and 7 and 7 or 8 more eggs

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Are you saying in general? I mean, I consider them a corner stone but thats relative to my diet. Of course there are diets that have you going into ketosis and whatnot but I mean, carbs are..carbs. I guess could you explain a little further what you mean.

I played around with bulking on a ketosis diet but frankly, it was hard to find reliable information not only about the diet itself for bulking, but how its results realistically stacked up against a "regular" diet.

If this is a larger topic than a post can cover, I was going to make a thread to discuss this anyways actually.

severely carb restricted diets do wonders for adding mass.
I saw this in the other thread. This intrigues me. Feel free to AIM or PM me if youre willing, or just posting here. I would appreciate it.