Protein powder vs Meat - AnabolicMinds.com

Protein powder vs Meat

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Kingdude's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    98

    Reputation

    Protein powder vs Meat


    Ok, I get the majority of my protein from Whey powders. I have meat in my daily lunch and also cottage cheese as a snack. Is it bad for fat loss or overrall diet if I get the majortiy of my protein from powder?

  2. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4769

    Reputation

    Use isolate post workout if you can, other than that most will advise you to stick to solid foods as much as possible.

    If you're getting a majority of your protein from powder I'd say you're being inefficient in more than one way. Is it the end of world if you do so? No, but it's expensive and unnecessary.
  3. Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,228
    Rep Power
    8349

    Reputation

    you cant beat meat.. no pun intended.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE STRONGEST ON THE MARKET
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/manufacturer/advanced-muscle-science/
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Nabisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    681

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdude View Post
    Ok, I get the majority of my protein from Whey powders. I have meat in my daily lunch and also cottage cheese as a snack. Is it bad for fat loss or overrall diet if I get the majortiy of my protein from powder?
    Protein powder is a supplement. Therefore, it should just be a supplemental protein source. Get 80%+ of your protein from whole foods.
  5. PES Rep
    Delta Force's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,791
    Rep Power
    237106

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tattoopierced1 View Post
    you cant beat meat.. no pun intended.
    ohh, yes you can.. i beat my meat all the time.... before i cook it, that is!
  6. New Member
    Kingdude's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    98

    Reputation

    Thanks for the input guys. With my job its hard to get in all food but I will try harder. Besides powder being expensive, is there any benifit to meat... Like slower digesting? Im just curious.
  7. Senior Member
    Nabisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,163
    Rep Power
    681

    Reputation

    Benefits of meat are as follows:

    1) Slower digesting
    2) Full of healthy fats (depending on what meat we're talking about)
    3) Contains plenty of essential minerals
    4) A wide variety of proteins in meat, poultry, and fish. Where as, if you just take whey, you are only getting one form of protein.
    5) Not all protein is created equal. Whey is fast absorbing, best used upon waking or post workout.

    I'm sure there are more but I'm too lazy to do a search. If you can take protein powder to your work, you can cook and take meat, poultry, and/or fish to your work.
  8. Professional Member
    Rugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,060
    Rep Power
    4769

    Reputation

    Don't forget red meat has cholesterol, which is important for muscle building.
  9. New Member
    someguy1984's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    123

    Reputation

    Meat all the way
  10. New Member
    pinchharmonic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    214

    Reputation

    Definitely get as much protein from whole foods as possible, all the below are complete sources of protein, and everyting listed underneath is not something whey is high in, or has any at all.

    red meat contains:
    b vitamins
    cholesterol (in moderation is helpful for testosterone levels)
    saturated fat
    potassium
    creatine (not much)
    iron
    CLA, conjugated linoleic acid (only the top notch fed beef have an appreciable amount of this)

    fattier fish (salmon)
    omega 3s

    pork contains:
    creatine

    chicken contains:
    i dont think chicken has nething spectacular besides a complete source of protein

    eggs:
    omega 3s, omega 6s
    saturated fats

    whey benefits:

    -fast digesting
    -convenient
    -high protein density meaning you can get say 24 grams of protein in practically no volume (great if you can't stomach too much food)
    -whey protein concentrate can be very high in calcium, which none of the meats above are very high in. However, whey protein isolate is going to be nearly devoid of calcium.. Isolate is faster digesting, and good for lactose intolerant people, but in the greater scheme of things if you can digest concentrate, get that, it's cheaper.
  11. New Member
    nofx4110's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  177 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    134

    Reputation

    eggs!
  12. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    On a cut right now, 50% from meat(tuna, chicken and beef) and 50% from WPI............not a big deal.
  13. New Member
    wontdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    277
    Rep Power
    227

    Reputation

    whey may have more Melamine than meat. Depending on the source of your milk or meat. But all things being equal, I am guessing that a cow fed on Melamine-enriched feed would still have less melamine than a milk that has melamine added to it to bump up its nitrogen content.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    On a cut right now, 50% from meat(tuna, chicken and beef) and 50% from WPI............not a big deal.
    I have a monopoly on the Wanderlei nut-hugging here.

    Also, WPI digests quickly and leads to acidosis which can cause a negative nitrogen balance. Not ideal for a cut; mix it with casein or egg powder for a longer supply of AAs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I have a monopoly on the Wanderlei nut-hugging here.

    Also, WPI digests quickly and leads to acidosis which can cause a negative nitrogen balance. Not ideal for a cut; mix it with casein or egg powder for a longer supply of AAs.
    I'm about to buy 25lbs of ATW WPI @ $155, which is one helluva a deal, I'm trying to save money and other than tuna(only low fat protein, others are cornish hens and beef patties) the WPI is the only other source that's easy to ingest.

    Can't the acidity be offset by drinking lime juice and sodium bicarbonate?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I'm about to buy 25lbs of ATW WPI @ $155, which is one helluva a deal, I'm trying to save money and other than tuna(only low fat protein, others are cornish hens and beef patties) the WPI is the only other source that's easy to ingest.

    Can't the acidity be offset by drinking lime juice and sodium bicarbonate?
    You could also add in calcium carbonate, potassium gluconate, or glutamine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. dpfisher
    Guest
    dpfisher's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Use isolate post workout if you can, other than that most will advise you to stick to solid foods as much as possible.

    If you're getting a majority of your protein from powder I'd say you're being inefficient in more than one way. Is it the end of world if you do so? No, but it's expensive and unnecessary.
    Where are you getting meat that it's cheaper than powder? I use powder because it's slightly cheaper than beef/chicken and I don't know where you'd get meat that cheap unless you hunt
  18. New Member
    soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    333

    Reputation

    Protein powder = supplement.

    Simple formula in 3 words. keyword is 'supplement'.

    it should fill in the gaps to help you achieve your daily intake requirements without needing to eat crap loads of food... (depending how u look at it).

    whey is great pre/post workout cause it absorbs so fast which is needed especially after heavy lifting sessiosn to help muscle recovery
  19. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Whey protein Isolate is very healthy.

    Rare meat is still the best hands down, but for cost efficiency WPI can be used to meet no more than 50% of your protein needs.

    My order was 400 servings of 25g WPI at the door price $155, which makes my serving $0.38 per 25g of protein, with a tbsp of butter, that's

    -4 more grams of protein
    -6 less grams of fat
    -40 less calories

    So with the butter, it'll come out to $.50 (32 servings @ 0.9/serving $3 total) vs the patty (21g protein, 17 fat) which is for $0.81X12 $9.76 total)

    In those 400 servings, I save $120.

    Since I double up the shake, that's $120 in 200 days, the more you eat, the more you save, not a lot of money (only $0.60) per day, but a long with other reductions you can save up to $100/month.

    50/50 is the whey to go for max benefit in cost/nutrition.
  20. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Guys, there have been a LOT of vague answers here based simply on what you do as opposed to the factual science of it. Got it, meat has more nutrients, oils, etc. But my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI. I don't want to hear any anecdotal data about what you do and how it helps, Im just curious if there's a link to a scientific study that compares the two - that is all that matters.
  21. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    2105698

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Since this thread is about five years old and you probably wont get an answer from them here is a link that should clear it up for you in easy answers.
    http://getthisstrength.com/whey-protein-vs-meat
  22. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Guys, there have been a LOT of vague answers here based simply on what you do as opposed to the factual science of it. Got it, meat has more nutrients, oils, etc. But my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI. I don't want to hear any anecdotal data about what you do and how it helps, Im just curious if there's a link to a scientific study that compares the two - that is all that matters.
    Do you think anyone would actually volunteer for a study where all they consumed was protein shakes for 8-12 weeks? The reality is that what you're looking for would be nearly impossible to design and have a decent sample size.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Guys, there have been a LOT of vague answers here based simply on what you do as opposed to the factual science of it. Got it, meat has more nutrients, oils, etc. But my question is, can anyone link me to any "scientific data" that shows eating meat increases muscle growth more/faster than the equivalent amount of protein taken via WPI. I don't want to hear any anecdotal data about what you do and how it helps, Im just curious if there's a link to a scientific study that compares the two - that is all that matters.
    Congrats on the ultra necro bump.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  24. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Yes, there are 7 billion people in the world. Many signing up for stranger more invasive studies with less important results - so, no it's not far fetched by any means. It's a very simple study. Feed 50 people pure protein shakes for a month. And feed the other 50 only sources of food protein (no vegetables, carbs or any other food that would interfere with the results) just meats/eggs, etc. Take accurate muscle mass measurements before during and after, place them on identical workout regimens using body weight percentage to account for how much weight they use. See who gains more. And there's your study.
  25. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, there are 7 billion people in the world. Many signing up for stranger more invasive studies with less important results - so, no it's not far fetched by any means. It's a very simple study. Feed 50 people pure protein shakes for a month. And feed the other 50 only sources of food protein (no vegetables, carbs or any other food that would interfere with the results) just meats/eggs, etc. Take accurate muscle mass measurements before during and after, place them on identical workout regimens using body weight percentage to account for how much weight they use. See who gains more. And there's your study.
    There is literally no person in the world that would volunteer for this kind of study. How would you account for the energy difference from the fats within the flesh? Do you honestly expect someone to be in a constant state of ketosis for 50 days?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    2105698

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, there are 7 billion people in the world. Many signing up for stranger more invasive studies with less important results - so, no it's not far fetched by any means. It's a very simple study. Feed 50 people pure protein shakes for a month. And feed the other 50 only sources of food protein (no vegetables, carbs or any other food that would interfere with the results) just meats/eggs, etc. Take accurate muscle mass measurements before during and after, place them on identical workout regimens using body weight percentage to account for how much weight they use. See who gains more. And there's your study.
    It sounds easy on paper but you do understand how the body works right? There are many other things that your entire system needs besides protein. To get down to the technicality of it all the body breaks protein down whey or meat into branch chain amino acids to create the building blocks for more muscles, but needs many other essentials to run and be healthy. When the body does not have these other essentials it will find them. And where will it find them? Bum da da dum! Your muscles! And why does it go to your muscles aka your meat because it is rich in nutrients. If you look at the back of some powders you will see sometimes that the company has included other vitamins and essential minerals which are naturally found in some meats, and why do they do that? So your body can better repair it self and hopefully create... You guessed it more muscle. So they dont have to do a study because the answer is simple, if a person only consumes whey you go catabolic due to the lack of other nutrients.
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  27. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Yes, it's called Atkins
  28. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    2105698

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Name:  3qwink.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  56.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, it's called Atkins
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  29. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, it's called Atkins
    Atkins encourages high amounts of vegetables. Again, how would you make up for the energy balance from the fats within, for example, whole eggs in the protein shake only group? What do you propose doing to account for the inevitable GI distress from no fiber?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  30. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    The study is not about only consuming whey or only consuming meat, obviously in the real world people can eat salads, carbs, etc. but as their main protein source, can choose to only eat WPI. that's what this whole topic is about, meat vs. WPI - obviously you need other nutrients to live, this is just comparing the muscle growth benefits between only the WPI and meat. So in order to do that, you need a clean test. People verrrry frequently run all sorts of crazy metabolic, anabolic studies that are far more complex than this. Now, I don't have the answer regarding WPI and food protein regarding which is better for protein synthesis, but I haven't read anything on here that shows anyone else does definitively either. It's all anecdotal evidence, which in the scientific world, amounts to nothing. Also, not to say the participants in the study could be given a daily vitamin to make sure they're receiving some of what they need.
  31. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    First of all, no eggs in protein shakes, Im talking about pure whey isolate only. And n, for a month, there would be no vegetables. Atkins doesn't encourage vegetables, you can have a tinnnnny amount of green lettuce before you breach your 20 carbs a day rule. But many people skip veggies all together, and you would have to for this.
  32. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Re: fiber - maybe each participant would be allowed some beneful (fiber mix drink) - youd obviously have to work out the fine details, but on the macro, there's no problem with this study for a month.
  33. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    First of all, no eggs in protein shakes, Im talking about pure whey isolate only. And n, for a month, there would be no vegetables. Atkins doesn't encourage vegetables, you can have a tinnnnny amount of green lettuce before you breach your 20 carbs a day rule. But many people skip veggies all together, and you would have to for this.
    I didn't say eggs in protein shakes; I said that there would be a large caloric difference in 30g of protein from whole eggs vs 30g protein from WPI. You can eat over a pound of broccoli per day and not exceed 20g of carbs.

    Your idea is far from practical and you have to realize that what you want is impossible to design in a study. There are a myriad of variables that you'd have to account for and the adherence rate would be so low that it would negate the results. Nobody is encouraging only using WPI as their sole protein source as that makes no sense. A huge part of the reason for protein shakes is practicality in that it is difficult for most to consume the protein they need from just whole foods.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  34. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    2105698

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Re: fiber - maybe each participant would be allowed some beneful (fiber mix drink) - youd obviously have to work out the fine details, but on the macro, there's no problem with this study for a month.
    Did you read the link that I posted at the begining of this thread?
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  35. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I didn't say eggs in protein shakes; I said that there would be a large caloric difference in 30g of protein from whole eggs vs 30g protein from WPI. You can eat over a pound of broccoli per day and not exceed 20g of carbs.Your idea is far from practical and you have to realize that what you want is impossible to design in a study. There are a myriad of variables that you'd have to account for and the adherence rate would be so low that it would negate the results. Nobody is encouraging only using WPI as their sole protein source as that makes no sense. A huge part of the reason for protein shakes is practicality in that it is difficult for most to consume the protein they need from just whole foods.
    20g of Carbs in one stock of brocolli, regardless, veggies are not required in Atkins. And I know there would be a large caloric difference between eggs and WPI same with steak and WPI - that's what the study is about, to see if that actually effects the rate/size of muscle growth. We're measuring only muscle mass, not overall mass, so if you gain fat, it's irrelevant. It's absurd to call a simple study like the impossible to design. You need to read the complexity of most modern studies, this is child's play comparatively. And I know nobody is encouraging only WPI, but that is because everyone blindly thinks they MUST use it only as a supplement instead of a primarily because they hear enough people saying it - but there's no study (that I've seen) - and if there is, great, I have no horse in the race. Just curious about the results, and I don't take information from anecdotal sources and heresay.
  36. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    Did you read the link that I posted at the begining of this thread?
    Yes, I read it, and all well and good, but I'd like to see a study that proves it. Right now it's just words.
  37. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    20g of Carbs in one stock of brocolli, regardless, veggies are not required in Atkins. And I know there would be a large caloric difference between eggs and WPI same with steak and WPI - that's what the study is about, to see if that actually effects the rate/size of muscle growth. We're measuring only muscle mass, not overall mass, so if you gain fat, it's irrelevant. It's absurd to call a simple study like the impossible to design. You need to read the complexity of most modern studies, this is child's play comparatively. And I know nobody is encouraging only WPI, but that is because everyone blindly thinks they MUST use it only as a supplement instead of a primarily because they hear enough people saying it - but there's no study (that I've seen) - and if there is, great, I have no horse in the race. Just curious about the results, and I don't take information from anecdotal sources and heresay.
    Let me try this again: what would you propose to make up for the caloric difference? You can't make comparisons amongst groups with different caloric consumption.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. New Member
    MusclesFrogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    45

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Let me try this again: what would you propose to make up for the caloric difference? You can't make comparisons amongst groups with different caloric consumption.
    Yes, you can. If calories in the meat are increasing muscle mass moreso than the WPI alone - then there's your answer, meat is more effective. However if the calories are only adding to the fat/overall mass as compared to WPI, then it's not relevant.
  39. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,989
    Rep Power
    917962

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, you can. If calories in the meat are increasing muscle mass moreso than the WPI alone - then there's your answer, meat is more effective. However if the calories are only adding to the fat/overall mass as compared to WPI, then it's not relevant.
    Yeah....if you have one group consuming more calories than the other group, then the study design is completely flawed and irrelevant. You would need to have equal caloric intakes for the results to be valid.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  40. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    2105698

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by MusclesFrogs View Post
    Yes, I read it, and all well and good, but I'd like to see a study that proves it. Right now it's just words.
    A study that shows meat breaks down slower then whey protein?...
    read this
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/gu...in/printer.php
    If your still arguing your point I’m going to take you for a troll who just wants to argue for the sake of arguing
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Egg protein powder?
    By chainsaw2 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
  3. Can protein powder go bad?
    By marshmallow man in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM
  4. Can excess meat protein be toxic??!!
    By mirabelly in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in