Protein from Non-Protein sources

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone,

Do you tally up protein from non-protein sources like oats, bread, and even veggies?

I spent a few days going through my diet and plugging it into a spreadsheet and noticed that I get around 40-55 grams of protein from my carb sources alone! Oat bran, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, and veggies (oh yea and peanut butter).

I'm about 160lbs, so I get 160 grams of protein from eggs, meat, whey a day. Then I realized I may be gettting way too much now that I have 40-55 grams from my carb sources!

so i was thinking of hte following

a.) take a leucine or bcaa supplement along with my carbs so that those inferior vegetable grain proteins become as anabolic as meat/whey sources. Use that to hit my daily protein requirements
b.) vegetable/grain proteins are inferior bottom line, don't include those as totals

thanks!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course you include them! I get 44g/day of protein from Oatbran!

Adding leucine is a great idea; I also usually have my oat bran with some extra WPI to bring me up to ~40g PRO/meal. Not including them would be an error in your nutrition calculations. Don't give up the beans/legumes, they're one of the healthiest foods out there!

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Proteins that come from meat and milk are complete protein sources, meaning, all of the essential amino acids are present. Proteins from other sources, such as legumes and oats are incomplete protein sources, meaning, not all of the essential amino acids are present.

For muscle growth to take place, all of the essential amino acids must be present. And when it comes to bodybuilding, we want these amino acids to be in abundance. So when you eat an incomplete protein source by itself, you're not getting all of the amino acids you require to build muscle tissue. Therefore, you must eat an incomplete protein source along with a complete protein source, in doing so creating a complete protein source.

So if you're eating something like beans, oats, or any other incomplete protein source, make sure you're eating a complete protein source with it as well.

For example, I eat a can of tuna, a can of kidney beans, and sometimes a spoonful of PB about every day. There's about 28g of protein in a can of kidney beans, but since I'm eating them with a complete protein source (tuna), then my body can use more of the protein for muscle building.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Proteins that come from meat and milk are complete protein sources, meaning, all of the essential amino acids are present. Proteins from other sources, such as legumes and oats are incomplete protein sources, meaning, not all of the essential amino acids are present.

For muscle growth to take place, all of the essential amino acids must be present. And when it comes to bodybuilding, we want these amino acids to be in abundance. So when you eat an incomplete protein source by itself, you're not getting all of the amino acids you require to build muscle tissue. Therefore, you must eat an incomplete protein source along with a complete protein source, in doing so creating a complete protein source.

So if you're eating something like beans, oats, or any other incomplete protein source, make sure you're eating a complete protein source with it as well.

For example, I eat a can of tuna, a can of kidney beans, and sometimes a spoonful of PB about every day. There's about 28g of protein in a can of kidney beans, but since I'm eating them with a complete protein source (tuna), then my body can use more of the protein for muscle building.
I don't believe that is quite accurate. You can't just eat a piece of meat and expect it to give off some of its aminos to something else. You're still short either way. Now, I just ate me a bowl of:

1 overeasy egg (complete)
1 can tuna (complete)
2 handfuls pinto beans (incomplete, but completed with corn/rice)
2 handfuls corn (incomplete, but completed with beans)
2 scoops rice (incomplete, but completed with beans)
*The beans were high in protein, about 10 grams. The corn/rice equaled roughly 5. That is a close enough ratio for them to complement one another quite well.

Stuff like that is good. Since combining incompletes I don't even fart anymore. Hahahahahaha.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I love black beans! Protein + fiber out the whazoo!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
ya in that case if I'm going to use those "incomplete" protein sources as part of my daily requirement, I'm going to down some EAAs or some BCAAs along with it.. during a cut it's really going to matter when every calorie counts too. like steveoph said, 44 grams protein from oat bran = 176 calories, may as well make them complete proteins

-Dave