Beers and bodybulding

onimusha

Awards
Guys i wonder if beers can ruin the supplements u taken, and what is the effect for muscle building?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys i wonder if beers can ruin the supplements u taken, and what is the effect for muscle building?
Well......beer isn't the best option for building muscle. It lowers test levels, and GH and increases estrogen.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
beer increases estrogen. they tested it on 100 men, and all of them got emotional and couldn't drive...

onimusha

Awards
how abt vodka or whisky? is it ok when u taking supplements? bec no liquer no fun in life :p

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol is also either 7 or 9 calories per gram if I remember correctly

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Everything is ok to do man, it all comes down to how much and how often, I'm not saying I am for drinking, as I am not. But it will not hurt you if you drink socially once or twice a week.

onimusha

Awards
ok tnx man, im affraid it will vanish all my supplements...

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
it comes down to what you are doing this for, if you are trying to compete then beer is not a great option but if you are shooting for a lifestyle then a few beers here and there wont kill you. so it comes down to where you are at in this game

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
lol beer is good on occasion mostly social events with the family, mostly rare for me but i do enjoy it now and then

onimusha

Awards
i think beer is gd for bulking :) i can finish 20 bottles whish like likely 2500 calories..

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
i can drink 20 beers too and be really really messed up

slanno

slanno

Awards
I cut it complete out of my life, I feel the effects even 3 days after when im in the gym. If it effects your weight time negatively then erase it if it works for you then do your own thing. Its personal preference.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
how abt vodka or whisky? is it ok when u taking supplements? bec no liquer no fun in life :p
That's sad. You need liquor to have fun. There are a billion threads on alcohol and bodybuilding. Binge drinking is probably the worst thing a person trying to add muscle could do. It does the opposite of what you want and what you take supplements for. It hinders your bodies ability to absorb nutrients,hurts protein synthesis, and dehydrates you to name a few.
I cut it complete out of my life, I feel the effects even 3 days after when im in the gym. If it effects your weight time negatively then erase it if it works for you then do your own thing. Its personal preference.
Same here. Best personal decision I have ever made for my health and fitness.

rccratch

Awards
some of yall take it way too extreme. Everything you do is about moderation. If you enjoy beer and liquor every so often it will not be a big deal. A glass of win is full of antioxidants and is proven to be good for you in the long haul. So i feel drinking is fine in moderation while working out. Lifting is a new life style but should not take over you life.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man I love my beer. Having a fit lifestyle doesn't mean you have to cut EVERYTHING out that hurts you in the long run. if that was the case better shut down that steroid/PH section.

Condescending to someone because they enjoys some beer, while you are logging a Methyl explosion of a log is just asinine. Not pointing fingers, just saying.

Adams

slanno

slanno

Awards
Everything in moderation, I just happen to feel like i got kicked in the kidneys the next day if i have even 3 beers. Its all personal preference.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
It's not sad, being a social drinker is perfectly fine my friend, join the party.
:djparty:
Being a social drinker is fine, but if you you can not have a good time without alcohol then that's an issue. It does make a good time better though,haha. I agree. Everything in moderation.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the love of God, live a little. I used to be extremely anal and view drinking as merely excess calories, but, in hindsight, I probably missed out on a good amount of fun. I usually drink every weekend 1-2x and I know that it does not positively contribute to my aesthetics, but it has little impact inside the gym.

tirtle88

tirtle88

Awards
Im only 19 and im a recovering alcoholic haven't dranken alcohol in a year and a half :D

It's great not being sh it faced all the time

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
I drink on my resting days (weekends) once or twice a month, usually on a friday. By monday I am good to go. I also alternate the muscle groups I work on earlier in the week to offset the negative effects. I drink pretty heavily, usually mixing beer and liquor.

Mu5tang69

Banned
Awards
i f/ucking drink! pour a couple shots in ur protein shake & blend all that sh1t up with ice is great! especially with that after workout smoke ;)

i prefer holding of the smoking for after work outs now, its so much more enjoyable :D

i remember when i use to do bad mon styles w/ a ciggarette hanging out my mouth while me & my boys spot each other with blunts in rotation.

BigBadDon79

Awards
Beer

Even though I enjoy a beer every now and then with my friends beer and body building do not mix. Beer is nothing but empty calories and does nothing for you but takes away gains. Plus if your on a cycle you should never drink because most chemical compounds are methylated and already harsh on the liver but mixed with alcohol can be dangerous.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
For the love of God, live a little. I used to be extremely anal and view drinking as merely excess calories, but, in hindsight, I probably missed out on a good amount of fun. I usually drink every weekend 1-2x and I know that it does not positively contribute to my aesthetics, but it has little impact inside the gym.
Amen to that! Some people are overly strict when it comes to alcohol! I enjoy craft beers every once in a while, so I'm not going to cut something I enjoy of my life just because alcohol temporarily decreases testosterone, protein synthesis, ect..

Now I do avoid getting drunk, but a few drinks every once in a while isn't going to hurt anything in the long run, unless maybe you're dieting for competitive bodybuilding. It's apparent that alcohol and bodybuilding don't mix, but some people go so far to where it's just plain funny!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I drank and worked out for the past 4 years. It effected my gains but I was ok with it. I was in better shape than if I wasn't working out. Right now,I am not ok with alcohol effecting my gains. It's all about what you want. If you want to look good then drink! If you want to look above average and possible compete in a show then drinking heavily shouldn't be done.

slanno

slanno

Awards
Guess you could say im anal about drinking, it really comes down to what you want to do, and how it effects you. I dont drink because my body wants to kick the crap out of me the next 3 days. Its all personal choice, there not going to be some guy popping out of the woodwork every time you decided to enjoy a good beer.

size

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE beer but the 2 do not mix.

If you enjoy beer like I do then you should drink some. However, if your #1 goal is bodybuilding then you should have some water instead.

slanno

slanno

Awards

If you enjoy beer like I do then you should drink some. However, if your #1 goal is bodybuilding then you should have some water instead.
:goodpost: Amen to that.

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
I wonder if drinking could help or cancel out the negative effects in some way by relieving stress. I know its stressful to your digestive system, but its so relaxing and you feel so carefree. Going out is always fun and relaxing, but drinking makes it so much better and I feel so much more relaxed.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if drinking could help or cancel out the negative effects in some way by relieving stress. I know its stressful to your digestive system, but its so relaxing and you feel so carefree. Going out is always fun and relaxing, but drinking makes it so much better and I feel so much more relaxed.
No,it doesn't help in any way shape or form. Aside from maybe the antioxidants in beer and wine which you can get from other things that don't contain alcohol. I wonder if heroin would cancel out some negative effects in some way because when I shoot up I feel so numb and relaxed. Ugh...

Exactly. I think the main issue here if the people who drink on a regular basis (few times a week) are used to it and recover faster than someone who doesn't do it often. I used to be able to drink a couple times a week and workout but now when I have a six pack I feel like a bus hit me. Alcohol is a poison,that's why you throw it up when you drink too much. If you want to relax and not hinder your gains. Vaporize some ganja.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Beer is ok in moderation. I wouldn't go out and drink 20 beers, especially if you are on supplements, and have worked out that day. It dehydrates you and that is the most important thing in my opinion to building muscle. If you aren't properly hydrated your body can't function properly, and water is what feeds your muscles, without it they can't get the nutrients they need to grow.. . if you are serious about training or just serious about your health I would stay away from alcohol... have a few drinks socially ever now and then... but i wouldn't party like a rockstar very often

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
No,it doesn't help in any way shape or form. Aside from maybe the antioxidants in beer and wine which you can get from other things that don't contain alcohol. I wonder if heroin would cancel out some negative effects in some way because when I shoot up I feel so numb and relaxed. Ugh...

Genius, I will go shoot up for a month and log it. Come on, are you really going to compare beer to dope! Its a serious question, I am not talking about drinking so much that you puke, just a couple beers with you friends on a friday night. Stress has a huge influence on your weight.:drunk:

Exactly. I think the main issue here if the people who drink on a regular basis (few times a week) are used to it and recover faster than someone who doesn't do it often. I used to be able to drink a couple times a week and workout but now when I have a six pack I feel like a bus hit me. Alcohol is a poison,that's why you throw it up when you drink too much. If you want to relax and not hinder your gains. Vaporize some ganja.

This I agree with. Pot can stimulate your appetite, I gained so much when I used to smoke. :hot:

Last edited:
planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Genius, I will go shoot up for a month and log it. Come on, are you really going to compare beer to dope! Its a serious question, I am not talking about drinking so much that you puke, just a couple beers with you friends on a friday night. Stress has a huge influence on your weight.:drunk:
I wasn't comparing alcohol and heroin. You were trying to say that maybe the relaxing properties of alcohol could help with stress. Which is true it helps it stress,as does heroin,I was just making an absurd comparison to get the point across. I agree having a couple beers is no problem but thinking there is maybe some benefit besides the buzz it's dumb.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wasn't comparing alcohol and heroin. You were trying to say that maybe the relaxing properties of alcohol could help with stress. Which is true it helps it stress,as does heroin,I was just making an absurd comparison to get the point across. I agree having a couple beers is no problem but thinking there is maybe some benefit besides the buzz it's dumb.
Stop and think before opening your mouth. Beer contains Xanthohumol from hops which is found to be toxic to many forms of cancer including prostate and colon. Fighting cancer is one benefits. Not to mention that 2 or less beers a day can reduce your chances of a stroke, heart disease, and vascular disease.

Alcohol has also been attributed to increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) in the bloodstream, as well as helping to decrease blood clots.

So spouting off assumptions before you are educated is asinine. Good for you on your choice, but your demeanor is unwarranted and uneducated. Beer is known to have the same benefits of wine in moderation.

Adams

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Stop and think before opening your mouth. Beer contains Xanthohumol from hops which is found to be toxic to many forms of cancer including prostate and colon. Fighting cancer is one benefits. Not to mention that 2 or less beers a day can reduce your chances of a stroke, heart disease, and vascular disease.

Alcohol has also been attributed to increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) in the bloodstream, as well as helping to decrease blood clots.

So spouting off assumptions before you are educated is asinine. Good for you on your choice, but your demeanor is unwarranted and uneducated. Beer is known to have the same benefits of wine in moderation.

Adams
Wow. I might just add a beer to my protein shake every morning with all those benefits. Seriously though,the bowl of ice cream I might have every now and then isn't helping me in the gym but in the long run a cheat meal helps me stay on track. If having a few beers now and then is how you blow off steam. So be it. Each man to his own.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Binge drinking is really where the problem is. Most people can't drink in moderation, so that's what really affects the bodybuilding. I used to drink 1x a week, and that never seemed to affect me. Now I don't really drink much at all just out of personal choice; however, I do plan on having a few glasses of Cab on Thanksgiving!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow. I might just add a beer to my protein shake every morning with all those benefits.
Don't be a smart ass. You made a fully quantifying statement about beer being negative. No way around it, but you didn't do your own footwork and educate yourself before spouting off non-sense.

Literalistic fear mongering is extremely annoying, especially when it is completely unqualified.

I commend you on your own life decisions, but the candor toward the opposite is quite something.

So to sum up... having a couple beers does have benefits.... debate over.

Adams

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Don't be a smart ass. You made a fully quantifying statement about beer being negative. No way around it, but you didn't do your own footwork and educate yourself before spouting off non-sense.

Literalistic fear mongering is extremely annoying, especially when it is completely unqualified.

I commend you on your own life decisions, but the candor toward the opposite is quite something.

So to sum up... having a couple beers does have benefits.... debate over.

Adams
Well I don't think nofx4001 had having a couple when he was asking if there were any benefits. I never said beer is negative. I said drinking heavily is negative. I have have no problem having a beer or two on occasion.

ffmedic32

ffmedic32

Awards
I generally only social drink, but when I am training hard for a meet or something I usually cut it out completely.

Anybody that says you cnat have fun without drinking, well they have obviously never been the sober friend laughing your a** of at the stupid stuff all the drunks do. LOL Sometimes that itself is more entertainment than drinking, atleast for me...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do you want to build muscle, or be an alcoholic? Make up your mind, you sound like a woman! j/k!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
cant we just do both?:lol:
Sure but then you're going to suck at being an alcoholic and suck at building muscle. Why not just decide if you want to be a really good alcoholic or really good at building muscle?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sure but then you're going to suck at being an alcoholic and suck at building muscle. Why not just decide if you want to be a really good alcoholic or really good at building muscle?
There ya go!