Beers and bodybulding

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by size View Post
    I LOVE beer but the 2 do not mix.

If you enjoy beer like I do then you should drink some. However, if your #1 goal is bodybuilding then you should have some water instead.
    Amen to that.

2. I wonder if drinking could help or cancel out the negative effects in some way by relieving stress. I know its stressful to your digestive system, but its so relaxing and you feel so carefree. Going out is always fun and relaxing, but drinking makes it so much better and I feel so much more relaxed.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by nofx4110 View Post
    I wonder if drinking could help or cancel out the negative effects in some way by relieving stress. I know its stressful to your digestive system, but its so relaxing and you feel so carefree. Going out is always fun and relaxing, but drinking makes it so much better and I feel so much more relaxed.
    No,it doesn't help in any way shape or form. Aside from maybe the antioxidants in beer and wine which you can get from other things that don't contain alcohol. I wonder if heroin would cancel out some negative effects in some way because when I shoot up I feel so numb and relaxed. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by size View Post
    I LOVE beer but the 2 do not mix.

If you enjoy beer like I do then you should drink some. However, if your #1 goal is bodybuilding then you should have some water instead.
    Exactly. I think the main issue here if the people who drink on a regular basis (few times a week) are used to it and recover faster than someone who doesn't do it often. I used to be able to drink a couple times a week and workout but now when I have a six pack I feel like a bus hit me. Alcohol is a poison,that's why you throw it up when you drink too much. If you want to relax and not hinder your gains. Vaporize some ganja.

4. Beer is ok in moderation. I wouldn't go out and drink 20 beers, especially if you are on supplements, and have worked out that day. It dehydrates you and that is the most important thing in my opinion to building muscle. If you aren't properly hydrated your body can't function properly, and water is what feeds your muscles, without it they can't get the nutrients they need to grow.. . if you are serious about training or just serious about your health I would stay away from alcohol... have a few drinks socially ever now and then... but i wouldn't party like a rockstar very often

5. Amen to the grass!!!!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    No,it doesn't help in any way shape or form. Aside from maybe the antioxidants in beer and wine which you can get from other things that don't contain alcohol. I wonder if heroin would cancel out some negative effects in some way because when I shoot up I feel so numb and relaxed. Ugh...

Genius, I will go shoot up for a month and log it. Come on, are you really going to compare beer to dope! Its a serious question, I am not talking about drinking so much that you puke, just a couple beers with you friends on a friday night. Stress has a huge influence on your weight.

Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Exactly. I think the main issue here if the people who drink on a regular basis (few times a week) are used to it and recover faster than someone who doesn't do it often. I used to be able to drink a couple times a week and workout but now when I have a six pack I feel like a bus hit me. Alcohol is a poison,that's why you throw it up when you drink too much. If you want to relax and not hinder your gains. Vaporize some ganja.

This I agree with. Pot can stimulate your appetite, I gained so much when I used to smoke. :hot:
    Last edited by nofx4110; 11-19-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: messed up quote

7. Quote Originally Posted by nofx4110 View Post
    Genius, I will go shoot up for a month and log it. Come on, are you really going to compare beer to dope! Its a serious question, I am not talking about drinking so much that you puke, just a couple beers with you friends on a friday night. Stress has a huge influence on your weight.

I wasn't comparing alcohol and heroin. You were trying to say that maybe the relaxing properties of alcohol could help with stress. Which is true it helps it stress,as does heroin,I was just making an absurd comparison to get the point across. I agree having a couple beers is no problem but thinking there is maybe some benefit besides the buzz it's dumb.

8. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    I wasn't comparing alcohol and heroin. You were trying to say that maybe the relaxing properties of alcohol could help with stress. Which is true it helps it stress,as does heroin,I was just making an absurd comparison to get the point across. I agree having a couple beers is no problem but thinking there is maybe some benefit besides the buzz it's dumb.
    Stop and think before opening your mouth. Beer contains Xanthohumol from hops which is found to be toxic to many forms of cancer including prostate and colon. Fighting cancer is one benefits. Not to mention that 2 or less beers a day can reduce your chances of a stroke, heart disease, and vascular disease.

Alcohol has also been attributed to increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) in the bloodstream, as well as helping to decrease blood clots.

So spouting off assumptions before you are educated is asinine. Good for you on your choice, but your demeanor is unwarranted and uneducated. Beer is known to have the same benefits of wine in moderation.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend

9. Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Stop and think before opening your mouth. Beer contains Xanthohumol from hops which is found to be toxic to many forms of cancer including prostate and colon. Fighting cancer is one benefits. Not to mention that 2 or less beers a day can reduce your chances of a stroke, heart disease, and vascular disease.

Alcohol has also been attributed to increasing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) in the bloodstream, as well as helping to decrease blood clots.

So spouting off assumptions before you are educated is asinine. Good for you on your choice, but your demeanor is unwarranted and uneducated. Beer is known to have the same benefits of wine in moderation.

Adams
    Wow. I might just add a beer to my protein shake every morning with all those benefits. Seriously though,the bowl of ice cream I might have every now and then isn't helping me in the gym but in the long run a cheat meal helps me stay on track. If having a few beers now and then is how you blow off steam. So be it. Each man to his own.

10. Binge drinking is really where the problem is. Most people can't drink in moderation, so that's what really affects the bodybuilding. I used to drink 1x a week, and that never seemed to affect me. Now I don't really drink much at all just out of personal choice; however, I do plan on having a few glasses of Cab on Thanksgiving!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Binge drinking is really where the problem is. Most people can't drink in moderation, so that's what really affects the bodybuilding.
    Well said!

12. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Wow. I might just add a beer to my protein shake every morning with all those benefits.
    Don't be a smart ass. You made a fully quantifying statement about beer being negative. No way around it, but you didn't do your own footwork and educate yourself before spouting off non-sense.

Literalistic fear mongering is extremely annoying, especially when it is completely unqualified.

I commend you on your own life decisions, but the candor toward the opposite is quite something.

So to sum up... having a couple beers does have benefits.... debate over.

Adams
    The Historic PES Legend

13. Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Don't be a smart ass. You made a fully quantifying statement about beer being negative. No way around it, but you didn't do your own footwork and educate yourself before spouting off non-sense.

Literalistic fear mongering is extremely annoying, especially when it is completely unqualified.

I commend you on your own life decisions, but the candor toward the opposite is quite something.

So to sum up... having a couple beers does have benefits.... debate over.

Adams
    Well I don't think nofx4001 had having a couple when he was asking if there were any benefits. I never said beer is negative. I said drinking heavily is negative. I have have no problem having a beer or two on occasion.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Amen to the grass!!!!
    :bruce1:

15. Quote Originally Posted by bigschmidt821 View Post
    i can drink 20 beers too and be really really messed up
    IMO, nobody needs to drink 20 beers

16. I generally only social drink, but when I am training hard for a meet or something I usually cut it out completely.

Anybody that says you cnat have fun without drinking, well they have obviously never been the sober friend laughing your a** of at the stupid stuff all the drunks do. LOL Sometimes that itself is more entertainment than drinking, atleast for me...

17. Quote Originally Posted by onimusha View Post
    how abt vodka or whisky? is it ok when u taking supplements? bec no liquer no fun in life
    Do you want to build muscle, or be an alcoholic? Make up your mind, you sound like a woman! j/k!

18. Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Do you want to build muscle, or be an alcoholic? Make up your mind, you sound like a woman! j/k!
    cant we just do both?

19. Quote Originally Posted by bigschmidt821 View Post
    cant we just do both?
    Sure but then you're going to suck at being an alcoholic and suck at building muscle. Why not just decide if you want to be a really good alcoholic or really good at building muscle?

20. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Sure but then you're going to suck at being an alcoholic and suck at building muscle. Why not just decide if you want to be a really good alcoholic or really good at building muscle?
    There ya go!

21. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    i wanna be both and have the best of both worlds!
    i also am gonna get huge by taking 100MG of m1t and add weight through my beer calories!

22. It could be a rumor like anything else, but I heard Arnold and all of the bbers from the 60's and 70's use to drink beer for that specific reason.

23. mmm B33R...

I love my Soco and Root Beer mixed, i drink once every weekend... i have noticed no ill effects from when i quit drinking a while back and lifted. Okay in moderation, but i have no plans of going back to Mr. One-Bottle-a-Night-Marine anytime soon... bad bad mojo.

24. Quote Originally Posted by bigschmidt821 View Post
    i wanna be both and have the best of both worlds!
    i also am gonna get huge by taking 100MG of m1t and add weight through my beer calories!
    Fantastic plan. So when you say huge you mean fat right?

25. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post
    Fantastic plan. So when you say huge you mean fat right?
    LMAO!

26. i cut out drinking for about 6 or 7 months, i built up my 5rm bench press to 280 pounds. and i included it in my chest routine. i recently went to my girlfriends family party, and got completely tanked. i took the next day to recover, and the day after was my chest day. my 5rm was reduced by 30 pounds.

27. if you don't drink beer, then you're not a man...discussion over!

28. My .02, taste the beer, don't just drink it. Most beer drinkers that binge 1-2x per week usually are the ones with no abs. I'll tell you this much, as soon as I cut out all alcohol, I drop weight quick and I am more responsive at the gym. But I will tell you this, I do enjoy my beers every now and then, and I gotta be honest, I too indulge every once in a while! (blackouts)

29. Quote Originally Posted by AndreAnabolic View Post
    i cut out drinking for about 6 or 7 months, i built up my 5rm bench press to 280 pounds. and i included it in my chest routine. i recently went to my girlfriends family party, and got completely tanked. i took the next day to recover, and the day after was my chest day. my 5rm was reduced by 30 pounds.
    I read some where that your strength is reduced significantly up to two days after a binge. I know when I workout the day after I drank,I'm just not there.

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    if you don't drink beer, then you're not a man...discussion over!
    That's retarded. If you don't have balls,then you aren't a man. If you don't drink beer then you just...don't drink beer.

30. Quote Originally Posted by planetfuzz View Post

That's retarded. If you don't have balls,then you aren't a man. If you don't drink beer then you just...don't drink beer.
    I have 3 balls.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. a couple beers?
    By BxGymRat in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM
  2. Light Beers Effects
    By Havoc in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 10:36 AM
  3. Natural Bodybulding