• protein and carbs(slow digesting)

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • protein and carbs(fast digesting)

Votes: 92 70.8%

• Total voters

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Thinking of ditching post-workout carbs. I am not sure that carbohydrates in the post-workout period are needed and there is research that they have no impact or may even be counter-productive.

Not sure what I want to follow-

1. Just Protein, no carbs, no fat
2. Protein and fat

Looking for thoughts...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on your goals. If performance is your concern, then you need carbs. Aesthetics varies from person to person.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
as far as Im aware, you need carbs to spike insulin and drive protein into the muscles

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as far as Im aware, you need carbs to spike insulin and drive protein into the muscles
Not true. Insulin secretion is not carb exclusive. Leucine for example also elicits an insulin response.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Not true. Insulin secretion is not carb exclusive. Leucine for example also elicits an insulin response.
Didn't know that. So in your opinion, what would you recommend dosage-wise for someone of my size?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't know that. So in your opinion, what would you recommend dosage-wise for someone of my size?
Of Luecine? 5g would be plenty to kickstart protein synthesis and glycogen synthesis. Carbs are necessary, IMO, but you do not need high GI carbs.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
I honestly belive anything in the likes of the following is fine for shuttling aminos to muscles and to spike insulin. I may try WMS one day, but i believe items such as oats, bananas, etc are just as good.

1. whey + 1/2C oats
2. whey + banana
3. whey + 1/2C rice / rice cakes
4. whey + gatorade powder (never done it ,but assume its decent)
5. when + danon lite-n-fit yogurt

etc....etc...

Of Luecine? 5g would be plenty to kickstart protein synthesis and glycogen synthesis. Carbs are necessary, IMO, but you do not need high GI carbs.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
I honestly belive anything in the likes of the following is fine for shuttling aminos to muscles and to spike insulin. I may try WMS one day, but i believe items such as oats, bananas, etc are just as good.

1. whey + 1/2C oats
2. whey + banana
3. whey + 1/2C rice / rice cakes
4. whey + gatorade powder (never done it ,but assume its decent)
5. when + danon lite-n-fit yogurt

etc....etc...
You should try Vitargo or Karbolyn, it'll change your mind real quick.

Isn't glycogen replacement a key issue for most?

natas9

natas9

Awards
It's my opinion that a huge insulin spike pwo is way overrated. Generally speaking, of course, since it depends on the individual and the duration/intensity of the workout.
After a heavy leg day, for example, it's a must have for me or I could pass out or have lasting depletion. After an average arm day however, slamming 75g of simple sugar seems completely redundant. I'm not denying the faster assimilation of protein, but having ditched this method for some time now I feel it has affected my gains not in the least. Unless I truly feel depleted, my pwo carbs is a glass of grape juice or gatorade(~30-40g carbs) to transport 10-15g of creatine, then protein, then meal containing slower carbs 1 hour later.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
please tell me why? I dont think the GI has anything to do with insulin response. I think WMS is good, but i do believe oats + whey is pretty solid too.

thanks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Glycogen replenishment is a process that occurs throughout the day, not in a single feeding.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I prefer a mix of slow and fast digesting carbs.. I usually have 25 grams whey with 20 grams of dextrose, then I down 2 slices of whole sprouted wheat berry bread with 1 tbsp of peanut butter. MMmm!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I prefer a mix of slow and fast digesting carbs.. I usually have 25 grams whey with 20 grams of dextrose, then I down 2 slices of whole sprouted wheat berry bread with 1 tbsp of peanut butter. MMmm!
I always split mine - have the low GI carbs about an hour postWO. I'm looking to move away from 'empty calorie' sources though - move towards dry fruit etc..

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Im kind of like that too. For my carbs PWO, i would rather consume something in the likes of bananas, grapes, pears, rice, dried fruits, apples, etc ....but again, i havent tried WMS or VITARGO yet either.

I always split mine - have the low GI carbs about an hour postWO. I'm looking to move away from 'empty calorie' sources though - move towards dry fruit etc..

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing essential about a carbohydrate and you don't need to consume them post workout. Especially when the bodies primary fuel source is fat (such as those who have been on a CKD), research has shown that IGF-1 shuttles glycogen into the muscles post workout when no carbs are present. However, if your main fuel source is carbohydrates I would definately recommend that they are consumed in the post workout period. I'll try to dig around and find that study somewhere.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I get better results when not having carbs PWO....

Anamolic08

Anamolic08

Awards
post carbs

I find that a blend of proteins + fiberous carbs such as (applesauce) post workout, along with some dextrose works efficiently to better absorb nutrients post workout...

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
PW carbs aren't "crucial", but they are beneficial.

jonnyjames

jonnyjames

Awards
  • Established
I always have you have my Waximaize followed by protein 30 minutes later, or I feel guilty... almost like i'm not getting as much as a could have out of my workout.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I get better results when not having carbs PWO....
I agree.

Although, sometimes i do need some carbs to overcome slight hypoglycemic feelings. I use ~35g Whey + ~15g Casein + 1/4 - 1/2c Oats and maybe a tad of honey.

I do not see the need to detonate your pancreas post workout. :hammer:

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I drink a half gallon of skim milk right after my workout. Just enough protein and sugar to make it all work out.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
when i was bulking i used to consume a 100g or so of fast digesting carbs like sugar and dextrose PW... It def seemed to help with recovery and gains, however i added some serious bodyfat

now i keep it to 20-30g if any at all and focus more on protein... several amino's elicit an insulin response as well as rodja said so i'm more inclined to chug some xtend PW and then my shake, than maxing on carbs

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
protein + fat pwo.

.....and rodja speaks the truth.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Advocate for dietary fat post workout?
Please Explain!
1. fat slows digestion and leads to a more efficient and steady amino absorbtion rate.
whey + carbs will quickly increases anabolism, but these effects are very short lived and shown to be wasteful. although amino acid concentration do increase quickly with whey + carbs, oxidation rates also increased, creating a steady state catabolism in which there is no change in overall protein balance.

2. fats are needed to produce testesterone and other hormones required for muscle building. post-workout, the body is scrambling to keep testosterone levels from dropping too low due to the rise in cortisol levels (the two hormones exist in a see-saw fashion; as one rises the other drops, and vice-a-versa).

3. fat helps maintain consistent and steady insulin levels. increased/spiked insulin output blunts growth hormone release that should naturally be occurring post workout.

4. a recent study compared the effect of whole milk, and a higher dose of fat-free milk (to match the calories of the whole milk) taken 60 minutes post-resistance exercise. whole milk was superior for increasing net protein balance despite the fact that the calorie matched dose of fat free milk contained more protein (14.5g protein, versus 8.0g in the whole milk -an 81% advantage).

the ideal pwo meal in my opinion is a mixture of casein + whey + fat.

Last edited:
ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I'm an advocate of Whey + blend of simple and complex carbs + 1tbsp natty pb.

I'm likin' it.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
the ideal pwo meal in my opinion is a mixture of casein + whey + fat.
Could you give me an example of your PWO meal.

Something like this perhaps.....

25g casein
25g whey
1 TBSP Natty PB

20g casein
20g whey
2 TBSP Natty PB

THANKS

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
my trainer who is diesel and used to compete has me on
60 g waxy maize + 6 grams BCAA immediately post w/o.
15 minutes later I do 40 grams whey or 20 grams whey and 1 scoop N-Large (that I bought for 75% off)

i have no intention of getting to be his size, but I am still trying to recomp (though I am in a deficit at the moment.)

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
Could you give me an example of your PWO meal.

Something like this perhaps.....

25g casein
25g whey
1 TBSP Natty PB

20g casein
20g whey
2 TBSP Natty PB

THANKS
currntly i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops ultra peptide 2.0

on a budget i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops whey concentrate + 2tbsp natty pb.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
my trainer who is diesel and used to compete has me on
60 g waxy maize + 6 grams BCAA immediately post w/o.
15 minutes later I do 40 grams whey or 20 grams whey and 1 scoop N-Large (that I bought for 75% off)

i have no intention of getting to be his size, but I am still trying to recomp (though I am in a deficit at the moment.)
this would be an excellent pwo protocol for me if i was on tons of gear.
unfortunatly i am not on using, so it would just make me :donut:.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am moderately lactose intolerant so milk is totally out of the question!

Thanks for the info Hank!!!

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Hank, would you recommend the following if one could afford it?

2Cups 2%milk
1scoop casein
1scoop whey isolate
2tbsp natty pb

The macros for this would come out to the following:
protein = 69 (45g from powders & 16g from milk & 8g from pb)
carbs = 36 (4g from powders & 26g from milk & 6g from pb)
fat = 26 (16g from pb & 10g from milk)

or is that overkill? If so, how should i reduced this down?

thanks man

currntly i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops ultra peptide 2.0

on a budget i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops whey concentrate + 2tbsp natty pb.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
comments??

Hank, would you recommend the following if one could afford it?

2Cups 2%milk
1scoop casein
1scoop whey isolate
2tbsp natty pb

The macros for this would come out to the following:
protein = 69 (45g from powders & 16g from milk & 8g from pb)
carbs = 36 (4g from powders & 26g from milk & 6g from pb)
fat = 26 (16g from pb & 10g from milk)

or is that overkill? If so, how should i reduced this down?

thanks man

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I prefer either a whey casien blended protien with a decent amount of carbs (30g high GI or +60g low GI), as well as a good healthy fat source like natty PB.

If not then just fast absorbing protien with milk (at least 2 cups) and again in a couple hours.... Protien should be taken in decent amounts at least 30min post and then again bout 2-3 hours later. I prefer the first to be a shake like was mentioned earlier (60g/1cup blended oats, 1 bannana, 2tbsp natty PB, 2 cups of milk, 35-60gs of protien) and then a full balanced meal 2-3 hours later.

I also use AP and pslin regularly, this definately is my savior when it comes to keeping carbs from spilling over into fat stores.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Are u serious, and if so, please explain. Although i do like the idea (lowfat milk has quality proteins + sugars), so i dont see why not.

Give me your reasoning behind this PWO drink. Basically, it looks too easy.

thanks

I drink a half gallon of skim milk right after my workout. Just enough protein and sugar to make it all work out.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are u serious, and if so, please explain. Although i do like the idea (lowfat milk has quality proteins + sugars), so i dont see why not.

Give me your reasoning behind this PWO drink. Basically, it looks too easy.

thanks
He is - I asked him.

You could look at it from this angle: why wouldn't it work?

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I used to think I NEEDED to spike insulin post workout. Lately I've been taking a scoop of PW,35g waxy,and 5g crea mono during my workout and then when I get home I'll have an Ezekiel bread chicken sandwhich,some carrots,almonds,and 4oz grape juice.

I'm not saying carbs are essential postworkout but I can't imagine not eating carbs after a workout.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I love post workout threads. I also love the idea of fat for post workout nutrition.

I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.

I remember using low-fat milk, whole eggs, olive oil and whey as post workout and really liking it. it's not a shake you drink down quick but sipping it over 30-40 minutes is good.

I also like oats, egg whites, whey and honey which keeps me full for hours.

Jag

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.
Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Yep. For me, im dong the following

2cups FFmilk + 2scoops whey + 1tbsp natty pb

Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Tried out 2 cups whole milk + 1 scoop cinnamon bun whey..

Was awesome, an easy 400 calories.. and I stayed full for a good while.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
As long as the meal is high in protein, I just eat. Protein, fat, carbs, you need it all. As long as it's 'clean' and more protein than anything else it seems to be working for me.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Something different after each workout is good to. I found something that sits reall good in my stomach once or twice will bloat the hell out of me the third or fourth time.

The size of the shake would also vary depending on the size of the workout. I can consume a lot of calories after legs but the meal/shake after shoulders or arms would be a bit smaller.

Jag

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
You wanna know confusing? What the hell is that in your avatar?

I find stuff like this very interesting...but confusing!! I wish i had the time to sit down and decipher it.

If someone could break it down into a few paragraphs in laymans terms would be great.

Jag