Poll: post workout carbs- crucial yes or no

post workout carbs- crucial yes or no

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Could you give me an example of your PWO meal.

Something like this perhaps.....

25g casein
    25g whey
    1 TBSP Natty PB

20g casein
    20g whey
    2 TBSP Natty PB

THANKS
    currntly i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops ultra peptide 2.0

on a budget i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops whey concentrate + 2tbsp natty pb.

2. Quote Originally Posted by edwards View Post
    my trainer who is diesel and used to compete has me on
    60 g waxy maize + 6 grams BCAA immediately post w/o.
    15 minutes later I do 40 grams whey or 20 grams whey and 1 scoop N-Large (that I bought for 75% off)

i have no intention of getting to be his size, but I am still trying to recomp (though I am in a deficit at the moment.)
    this would be an excellent pwo protocol for me if i was on tons of gear.
    unfortunatly i am not on using, so it would just make me :donut:.
    •   

3. I am moderately lactose intolerant so milk is totally out of the question!

Thanks for the info Hank!!!
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //

4. Sounds to me like milk and eggs win again.

5. Hank, would you recommend the following if one could afford it?

2Cups 2%milk
    1scoop casein
    1scoop whey isolate
    2tbsp natty pb

The macros for this would come out to the following:
    protein = 69 (45g from powders & 16g from milk & 8g from pb)
    carbs = 36 (4g from powders & 26g from milk & 6g from pb)
    fat = 26 (16g from pb & 10g from milk)

or is that overkill? If so, how should i reduced this down?

thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    currntly i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops ultra peptide 2.0

on a budget i do 2 cups 2% milk + 2 scoops whey concentrate + 2tbsp natty pb.
    •   

6. comments??

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Hank, would you recommend the following if one could afford it?

2Cups 2%milk
    1scoop casein
    1scoop whey isolate
    2tbsp natty pb

The macros for this would come out to the following:
    protein = 69 (45g from powders & 16g from milk & 8g from pb)
    carbs = 36 (4g from powders & 26g from milk & 6g from pb)
    fat = 26 (16g from pb & 10g from milk)

or is that overkill? If so, how should i reduced this down?

thanks man

7. I prefer either a whey casien blended protien with a decent amount of carbs (30g high GI or +60g low GI), as well as a good healthy fat source like natty PB.

If not then just fast absorbing protien with milk (at least 2 cups) and again in a couple hours.... Protien should be taken in decent amounts at least 30min post and then again bout 2-3 hours later. I prefer the first to be a shake like was mentioned earlier (60g/1cup blended oats, 1 bannana, 2tbsp natty PB, 2 cups of milk, 35-60gs of protien) and then a full balanced meal 2-3 hours later.

I also use AP and pslin regularly, this definately is my savior when it comes to keeping carbs from spilling over into fat stores.

8. Are u serious, and if so, please explain. Although i do like the idea (lowfat milk has quality proteins + sugars), so i dont see why not.

Give me your reasoning behind this PWO drink. Basically, it looks too easy.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    I drink a half gallon of skim milk right after my workout. Just enough protein and sugar to make it all work out.

9. Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    Are u serious, and if so, please explain. Although i do like the idea (lowfat milk has quality proteins + sugars), so i dont see why not.

Give me your reasoning behind this PWO drink. Basically, it looks too easy.

thanks
    He is - I asked him.

You could look at it from this angle: why wouldn't it work?

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best!

10. I used to think I NEEDED to spike insulin post workout. Lately I've been taking a scoop of PW,35g waxy,and 5g crea mono during my workout and then when I get home I'll have an Ezekiel bread chicken sandwhich,some carrots,almonds,and 4oz grape juice.

I'm not saying carbs are essential postworkout but I can't imagine not eating carbs after a workout.

11. I love post workout threads. I also love the idea of fat for post workout nutrition.

I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.

I remember using low-fat milk, whole eggs, olive oil and whey as post workout and really liking it. it's not a shake you drink down quick but sipping it over 30-40 minutes is good.

I also like oats, egg whites, whey and honey which keeps me full for hours.

Jag

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.

Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.

13. Yep. For me, im dong the following

2cups FFmilk + 2scoops whey + 1tbsp natty pb

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.

14. Tried out 2 cups whole milk + 1 scoop cinnamon bun whey..

Was awesome, an easy 400 calories.. and I stayed full for a good while.

15. As long as the meal is high in protein, I just eat. Protein, fat, carbs, you need it all. As long as it's 'clean' and more protein than anything else it seems to be working for me.

16. Something different after each workout is good to. I found something that sits reall good in my stomach once or twice will bloat the hell out of me the third or fourth time.

The size of the shake would also vary depending on the size of the workout. I can consume a lot of calories after legs but the meal/shake after shoulders or arms would be a bit smaller.

Jag

17. I started reading it and then it began to quote Albert Einstein and crap, and then my head exploded. So, i didnt get to finish the article

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post

18. Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    I find stuff like this very interesting...but confusing!! I wish i had the time to sit down and decipher it.

If someone could break it down into a few paragraphs in laymans terms would be great.

Jag

19. You wanna know confusing? What the hell is that in your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I find stuff like this very interesting...but confusing!! I wish i had the time to sit down and decipher it.

If someone could break it down into a few paragraphs in laymans terms would be great.

Jag

20. Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    You wanna know confusing? What the hell is that in your avatar?
    Yellow blob is 5lbs of fat. Red thing is 5lbs of muscle.

It's actually written on it but you'd need a magnifying glass to see it.

Jag

21. Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post

Jag
    Basically, they're saying that a calorie is not a calorie and that "metabolic advantage" is true and that low carb diets work because "somehow" you can over eat your calories and still lose weight because of a magic "metabolic advantage" prevents calories from being calories as we know them...so a person eating a high carb diet would not have this metabolic advantage and would gain, while the low carber....has it.

Garry Tabues wrote a book called "Goo calories, Bad calories" he says that muscle mass has no significant effect on basal metabolic rate, his book is really examinations of studies and studies, very well written, he doesn't really "tell you" what's right, he just shows you that research shows that low fat is bad for you and insulin (anything other than low carb) is the cause of obesity and helps store fat in studies of equal caloric control meals for people but were done with low carb, high fat, high protein and that HDL/LDL levels improve dramatically on low carb, etc....

Something....like that......

I either eat pro/fat or nothing PWO.

22. Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I either eat pro/fat or nothing PWO.
    what about the liver of small children?

23. Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    what about the liver of small children?

I eat that fresh with some chianti every night and morning with a glass of fresh blood, it really helps with my energy levels and skin texture.

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet with children's liver and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while I grab a child from the pen and slaughter it then clean it. I have 1000 in the pen now. After I remove the ice pack I pour the blood into a big cup and drink it while I listen to some relaxing jazz. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub made with kid's fresh heart. Then I apply the blood facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes, I also rub juice of child's eye on it while I prepare the rest of my routine I always eat the eyeballs for the vitamin A content because it's great for my skin and overall well being.

24. please dont vote

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post

I eat that fresh with some chianti every night and morning with a glass of fresh blood, it really helps with my energy levels and skin texture.

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet with children's liver and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while I grab a child from the pen and slaughter it then clean it. I have 1000 in the pen now. After I remove the ice pack I pour the blood into a big cup and drink it while I listen to some relaxing jazz. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub made with kid's fresh heart. Then I apply the blood facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes, I also rub juice of child's eye on it while I prepare the rest of my routine I always eat the eyeballs for the vitamin A content because it's great for my skin and overall well being.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Not true. Insulin secretion is not carb exclusive. Leucine for example also elicits an insulin response.
    only in the presence of carbs. leucine alone doesn't so take 10 carbs with leucine
    Facebook John Smeton Fitness
    youtube JohnSmetonFitness1
    Twitter SmetonFitness

26. I just throw down some EAA's with added Leucine PWO.

Then at home comes oatmeal, a range of fruit, and some skim yoghurt.

27. Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    only in the presence of carbs. leucine alone doesn't so take 10 carbs with leucine
    I didn't know that about Leucine. So would that mean BCAAs as well maybe with a banana.

Any studies or info on that would be great.

Jag

28. There is such a huge debate on this, that I feel it ends up coming down to "what is going to aid you in your efforts, depending on HOW you workout and to what intensity."

Personally, I feel great when I sip on simple carbs during my workout (ie: Gatorade powder) to keep me going. Then I do not feel the need to spike it after a workout as much and just focus on complex carbohydrates. The fat argument for increasing test and slowing digestion is also good.

Fact of the matter is...the big THREE are Protein, Carbs, Fat. So...maybe it would make sense incorporating all of these into the regimen. Obviously keep the fats healthy (pb, flax, fish oil). Balance out the carbs between simple/complex, and take in a solid dose of protein.

The only thing I am seeing here that I completely disagree with is the use of fruits POST workout. Fructose is not stored in the muscle, and is not really going to benefit you post workout aside from the fact that you will get a decent amount of energy from it. Focus on other simple carbs. Fruits before a workout are nice, but I focus on other sources.

Hope this helps some?

29. Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    1. fat slows digestion and leads to a more efficient and steady amino absorbtion rate.
    whey + carbs will quickly increases anabolism, but these effects are very short lived and shown to be wasteful. although amino acid concentration do increase quickly with whey + carbs, oxidation rates also increased, creating a steady state catabolism in which there is no change in overall protein balance.

2. fats are needed to produce testesterone and other hormones required for muscle building. post-workout, the body is scrambling to keep testosterone levels from dropping too low due to the rise in cortisol levels (the two hormones exist in a see-saw fashion; as one rises the other drops, and vice-a-versa).

3. fat helps maintain consistent and steady insulin levels. increased/spiked insulin output blunts growth hormone release that should naturally be occurring post workout.

4. a recent study compared the effect of whole milk, and a higher dose of fat-free milk (to match the calories of the whole milk) taken 60 minutes post-resistance exercise. whole milk was superior for increasing net protein balance despite the fact that the calorie matched dose of fat free milk contained more protein (14.5g protein, versus 8.0g in the whole milk -an 81% advantage).

the ideal pwo meal in my opinion is a mixture of casein + whey + fat.
    I'm not sure about the relationship between insulin and GH....other than that when the two are exogenously shot, they are synergistic and are both closely tied with endogenous IGF .
    But i do know that slin blunts cortisol, and that is one of the reasons it helps in PCT.

So just on that fact, IMO, i'm for taking glucose or maltodextrin after lifting. But make no mistake i'm not advocating a fat free diet
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. carbs post workout
    By liftallday123 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM
  2. Post workout carbs crucial or counter productive?
    By marcink99 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
  3. Post workout carbs??
    By AMTorres in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM