post workout carbs- crucial yes or no

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.95%

I love post workout threads. I also love the idea of fat for post workout nutrition.

I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.

I remember using low-fat milk, whole eggs, olive oil and whey as post workout and really liking it. it's not a shake you drink down quick but sipping it over 30-40 minutes is good.

I also like oats, egg whites, whey and honey which keeps me full for hours.

Jag

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.27%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I have experimented with carbs and did put on quite a bit in the waist area as well as everywhere else.

Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Yep. For me, im dong the following

2cups FFmilk + 2scoops whey + 1tbsp natty pb

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Same here. I gave u on the whole PWO carb thing 4 months agho now and have never been leaner. PWO whey only.

Works for me.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Tried out 2 cups whole milk + 1 scoop cinnamon bun whey..

Was awesome, an easy 400 calories.. and I stayed full for a good while.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.86%
    Achievements Posting Pro

As long as the meal is high in protein, I just eat. Protein, fat, carbs, you need it all. As long as it's 'clean' and more protein than anything else it seems to be working for me.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.95%

Something different after each workout is good to. I found something that sits reall good in my stomach once or twice will bloat the hell out of me the third or fourth time.

The size of the shake would also vary depending on the size of the workout. I can consume a lot of calories after legs but the meal/shake after shoulders or arms would be a bit smaller.

Jag
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I started reading it and then it began to quote Albert Einstein and crap, and then my head exploded. So, i didnt get to finish the article

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.95%

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    I find stuff like this very interesting...but confusing!! I wish i had the time to sit down and decipher it.

If someone could break it down into a few paragraphs in laymans terms would be great.

Jag
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You wanna know confusing? What the hell is that in your avatar?

I find stuff like this very interesting...but confusing!! I wish i had the time to sit down and decipher it.

If someone could break it down into a few paragraphs in laymans terms would be great.

Jag
  11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.95%

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    You wanna know confusing? What the hell is that in your avatar?
    Yellow blob is 5lbs of fat. Red thing is 5lbs of muscle.

It's actually written on it but you'd need a magnifying glass to see it.

Jag
  12. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Jag
    Basically, they're saying that a calorie is not a calorie and that "metabolic advantage" is true and that low carb diets work because "somehow" you can over eat your calories and still lose weight because of a magic "metabolic advantage" prevents calories from being calories as we know them...so a person eating a high carb diet would not have this metabolic advantage and would gain, while the low carber....has it.

Garry Tabues wrote a book called "Goo calories, Bad calories" he says that muscle mass has no significant effect on basal metabolic rate, his book is really examinations of studies and studies, very well written, he doesn't really "tell you" what's right, he just shows you that research shows that low fat is bad for you and insulin (anything other than low carb) is the cause of obesity and helps store fat in studies of equal caloric control meals for people but were done with low carb, high fat, high protein and that HDL/LDL levels improve dramatically on low carb, etc....

Something....like that......

I either eat pro/fat or nothing PWO.
  13. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I either eat pro/fat or nothing PWO.
    what about the liver of small children?
  14. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    what about the liver of small children?

I eat that fresh with some chianti every night and morning with a glass of fresh blood, it really helps with my energy levels and skin texture.

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet with children's liver and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while I grab a child from the pen and slaughter it then clean it. I have 1000 in the pen now. After I remove the ice pack I pour the blood into a big cup and drink it while I listen to some relaxing jazz. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub made with kid's fresh heart. Then I apply the blood facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes, I also rub juice of child's eye on it while I prepare the rest of my routine I always eat the eyeballs for the vitamin A content because it's great for my skin and overall well being.

15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

please dont vote

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post

I eat that fresh with some chianti every night and morning with a glass of fresh blood, it really helps with my energy levels and skin texture.

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet with children's liver and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while I grab a child from the pen and slaughter it then clean it. I have 1000 in the pen now. After I remove the ice pack I pour the blood into a big cup and drink it while I listen to some relaxing jazz. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub made with kid's fresh heart. Then I apply the blood facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes, I also rub juice of child's eye on it while I prepare the rest of my routine I always eat the eyeballs for the vitamin A content because it's great for my skin and overall well being.

16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Not true. Insulin secretion is not carb exclusive. Leucine for example also elicits an insulin response.
    only in the presence of carbs. leucine alone doesn't so take 10 carbs with leucine
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.67%

I just throw down some EAA's with added Leucine PWO.

Then at home comes oatmeal, a range of fruit, and some skim yoghurt.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.95%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    only in the presence of carbs. leucine alone doesn't so take 10 carbs with leucine
    I didn't know that about Leucine. So would that mean BCAAs as well maybe with a banana.

Any studies or info on that would be great.

Jag
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.92%

There is such a huge debate on this, that I feel it ends up coming down to "what is going to aid you in your efforts, depending on HOW you workout and to what intensity."

Personally, I feel great when I sip on simple carbs during my workout (ie: Gatorade powder) to keep me going. Then I do not feel the need to spike it after a workout as much and just focus on complex carbohydrates. The fat argument for increasing test and slowing digestion is also good.

Fact of the matter is...the big THREE are Protein, Carbs, Fat. So...maybe it would make sense incorporating all of these into the regimen. Obviously keep the fats healthy (pb, flax, fish oil). Balance out the carbs between simple/complex, and take in a solid dose of protein.

The only thing I am seeing here that I completely disagree with is the use of fruits POST workout. Fructose is not stored in the muscle, and is not really going to benefit you post workout aside from the fact that you will get a decent amount of energy from it. Focus on other simple carbs. Fruits before a workout are nice, but I focus on other sources.

Hope this helps some?
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Vangut View Post
    1. fat slows digestion and leads to a more efficient and steady amino absorbtion rate.
    whey + carbs will quickly increases anabolism, but these effects are very short lived and shown to be wasteful. although amino acid concentration do increase quickly with whey + carbs, oxidation rates also increased, creating a steady state catabolism in which there is no change in overall protein balance.

2. fats are needed to produce testesterone and other hormones required for muscle building. post-workout, the body is scrambling to keep testosterone levels from dropping too low due to the rise in cortisol levels (the two hormones exist in a see-saw fashion; as one rises the other drops, and vice-a-versa).

3. fat helps maintain consistent and steady insulin levels. increased/spiked insulin output blunts growth hormone release that should naturally be occurring post workout.

4. a recent study compared the effect of whole milk, and a higher dose of fat-free milk (to match the calories of the whole milk) taken 60 minutes post-resistance exercise. whole milk was superior for increasing net protein balance despite the fact that the calorie matched dose of fat free milk contained more protein (14.5g protein, versus 8.0g in the whole milk -an 81% advantage).

the ideal pwo meal in my opinion is a mixture of casein + whey + fat.
    I'm not sure about the relationship between insulin and GH....other than that when the two are exogenously shot, they are synergistic and are both closely tied with endogenous IGF .
    But i do know that slin blunts cortisol, and that is one of the reasons it helps in PCT.

So just on that fact, IMO, i'm for taking glucose or maltodextrin after lifting. But make no mistake i'm not advocating a fat free diet
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

2scoops isolate
    2C fat free milk
    2 TBSP Natty pb

this is what i have been doing as of late. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Khadafi View Post
    I'm not sure about the relationship between insulin and GH....other than that when the two are exogenously shot, they are synergistic and are both closely tied with endogenous IGF .
    But i do know that slin blunts cortisol, and that is one of the reasons it helps in PCT.

So just on that fact, IMO, i'm for taking glucose or maltodextrin after lifting. But make no mistake i'm not advocating a fat free diet
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.63%

Carbs are def essential post workout you gotta replenish glycogen and create an insulin spike to kickstart the recovery process
  23. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.22%

Anyone done the whole glutamine, glycine whey thing that poliquin supports. I've been doing just bcaa's and whey post-workout for 1.5 weeks now and i notice i'm getting leaner in carb sensitive area's (triceps, obliques) i'm going to keep going with this.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What is your drink look like? How many BCAA's? how much whey?

Right now, ive been doing the following protocol and have noticed quite a difference instead of doing the protein + carbs

2scoops whey
    2C fat free milk
    2spoonfuls of natty PB
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    Anyone done the whole glutamine, glycine whey thing that poliquin supports. I've been doing just bcaa's and whey post-workout for 1.5 weeks now and i notice i'm getting leaner in carb sensitive area's (triceps, obliques) i'm going to keep going with this.
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

not necessariy. Try eating correctly thoughout the day, week, and you will not have to "load" your body full of carbs PWO. ...thats my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rah22491 View Post
    Carbs are def essential post workout you gotta replenish glycogen and create an insulin spike to kickstart the recovery process
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  70 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.93%

Carbs and proteins work better than protein alone..post w/o. High Glycemic carbs are very important post workout. Fruits / Fruit juice can be a good option and then there are wight gainers containing maltodextrin etc.. but not definitely ice creams and cookies.
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.43%

Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    not necessariy. Try eating correctly thoughout the day, week, and you will not have to "load" your body full of carbs PWO. ...thats my opinion though.
    I agree with you here. I eat a solid meal 1.5-2hrs after workout. Pre-workout is WMS and Whey, and xtend during workout.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.55%

i no longer eat carbs and im getting bigger and leaner. i replace my carb intake with good fats. of course you can't eat zero carbs. my trace carbs from peanut butter, nuts, skim milk, and green veggies. post workout i eat 4 tbsp peanut butter (by naturally more. best peanut butter with almost a 1:1 ratio of fat to protein)
  29. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The concept of spiking insulin is just a BS way of trying to reinvent the wheel and come up with something sensational and new.

Insulin is a hormone that activates anabolism and is triggered by energy intake. Think of it as a catalyst. The thing to focus on is a steady, but proportional to expenditure, supply of food energy throughout the day. The necessary insulin levels will follow automatically.

That article is just relating thermodynamics to human biology. For those that opted out of physics 12: energy is the capacity to do work and it is conserved. That means that in order to increase the temperature of one litre of water by one degree celsius you need one kilocalorie of energy. However because no real system is 100% efficient you will need more than one kilocalorie of input energy.

Another example is the internal combustion engine. Only about 30% of the energy in the gasoline is converted to energy that moves the car. The rest escapes as heat.

The same applies for food. Different macros have different efficiencies as well as absoroption rates. So a 2500 kcal diet that is 40%P/40%C/20%F will have somewhat of a different effect as one that is 40%P/20%C/40%F.

In summary if these differences are not accounted for then we cannot assume that one calorie of food energy will have the same effect as another. However if you stick to one macro ratio and food choices and just move the quantities (total calories) up or down while maintaining near constant activity levels then you can easily manage your bodyweight.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.24%

I want to be a biggot here.

I believe the post workout carb complex should consist 50% of fast action carbs (dextrose) and 50% slow (malotodextrin) , as well as a respectable amount of protein. Carbs create insulin spikes, and help the soreness tremendously.
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Theres a study floating around about how PWO is almost better to wait 45 minutes before ingesting anything but eating a large PreWO meal and PreWO shake. Ill see if I can find it.
  32. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Schecterx View Post
    I want to be a biggot here.

I believe the post workout carb complex should consist 50% of fast action carbs (dextrose) and 50% slow (malotodextrin) , as well as a respectable amount of protein. Carbs create insulin spikes, and help the soreness tremendously.
    Maltodextrin = slow carb?
  33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.36%

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Maltodextrin = slow carb?
    I always wonder why there are so many people who think maltodextrin is a slow carb.
  34. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.22%

I've been doing medium to low glycemic carbs post-workout for a couple months now and i find this approach is much better for me and my body type, i tend to be annoyingly carb sensitive. I'm currently using mini-wheats post-workout. Waxy maize only seems to be an option when i'm using it with P-slin, otherwise it softens me up. And i'm getting bigger, stronger and leaner, so don't think that high gi carbs post-workout are crucial.

Something to also think about is your body's hormonal response to training, when your squating, deadlifting, doing hit cardio etc your getting a huge boost in gh levels which your blunting by spiking insulin post-workout, no spike and you should have a bigger gh boost. I can actually see a difference in my sleep.
  35. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.48%

So what about, 44g of Whey, 8oz of skim, and 1tbsp of natty pb? Would seem to do the trick if you are eating upwards of 100g of carbs pre WO like myself.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

No, they are not crucial if you have a good pre-workout meal.
    Yes, they are beneficial, but I believe you can still gain just fine without it.. depends on your goals, body, and how you want to achieve your goals.
  37. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

chaps, u are very similar to me......lately, i have been doing the following, which is tried and true

1C FF milk
    2scoops whey
    2scoops oats (use protein scoop)

I dont get crazy with the carbs, but just enough to get the job done. Work fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    I've been doing medium to low glycemic carbs post-workout for a couple months now and i find this approach is much better for me and my body type, i tend to be annoyingly carb sensitive. I'm currently using mini-wheats post-workout. Waxy maize only seems to be an option when i'm using it with P-slin, otherwise it softens me up. And i'm getting bigger, stronger and leaner, so don't think that high gi carbs post-workout are crucial.

Something to also think about is your body's hormonal response to training, when your squating, deadlifting, doing hit cardio etc your getting a huge boost in gh levels which your blunting by spiking insulin post-workout, no spike and you should have a bigger gh boost. I can actually see a difference in my sleep.

Similar Forum Threads

1. carbs post workout
    By liftallday123 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 01:28 AM
  2. Post workout carbs crucial or counter productive?
    By marcink99 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
  3. Post workout carbs??
    By AMTorres in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM