Eating raw meat, any real risks?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For the last month I've been eating a lot more canned tuna, but even more raw ground beef, 73/27 P/F, 2-3 lbs a day.

Are there any real risks? for those who say E coli I say :FUfinger: I did research on that and you're almost 5 times more likely to get it from plants than animals.

I know digestion and nutrient use is much better in raw ground beef than it is in well done steaks and it's much easier on my stomach, plus I love the taste.

I did research but the risk seems to be insignificant.

Are there any risks that are validated and not some BS "you heard from someone who sucked a raw **** once and got throat syphilis" ?

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
love tataki beef myself. I would at least suggest staying away from ground meats. Regardless of low sickness statistics, it's easier to get sick from ground meats because more surface area is exposed to bacteria.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
raw ground beef? For the love of God, why? We can't even eat vegitables anymore wihtout dying lol. Cook that **** man!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to come back and post another reply on just how much of a shiver that gave me when I read you like the taste of raw ground beef lol

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
love tataki beef myself. I would at least suggest staying away from ground meats. Regardless of low sickness statistics, it's easier to get sick from ground meats because more surface area is exposed to bacteria.
Taste+cheap fat and protein source!

That's the main reason, plus it's always ready, no cooking, cleaning preparing, etc... I hate doing all that.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Ground_Beef_and_Food_Safety/index.asp

Is it dangerous to eat raw or undercooked ground beef?
Yes. Raw and undercooked meat may contain harmful bacteria. USDA recommends not eating or tasting raw or undercooked ground beef. To be sure all bacteria are destroyed, cook meat loaf, meatballs, casseroles, and hamburgers to 160 °F. Use a food thermometer to check that they have reached a safe internal temperature.

What kind of bacteria can be in ground beef? Are they dangerous?
Bacteria are everywhere in our environment. Any food of animal origin can harbor bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria, such as Salmonella, Escherichia coli O157:H7, Campylobacter jejuni, Listeria monocytogenes, and Staphylococcus aureus, cause illness. These harmful bacteria can not be seen or smelled.

When meat is ground, more of the meat is exposed to the harmful bacteria. Bacteria multiply rapidly in the "Danger Zone" — temperatures between 40 and 140 °F. To keep bacterial levels low, store ground beef at 40 °F or less and use within 2 days, or freeze. To destroy harmful bacteria, cook ground beef to 160 °F.

Other bacteria cause spoilage. Spoilage bacteria are generally not harmful, but they will cause food to deteriorate or lose quality by developing a bad odor or feeling sticky on the outside.

Why is the E. coli O157:H7 bacterium of special concern in ground beef?
E. coli O157:H7 can colonize in the intestines of animals, which could contaminate muscle meat at slaughter.

O157:H7 is a strain of E. coli that produces large quantities of a potent toxin that forms in the intestine and causes severe damage to the lining of the intestine. The disease produced by the bacteria is called Hemorrhagic Colitis.

E. coli O157:H7 survive refrigerator and freezer temperatures. Once they get in food, they can multiply very slowly at temperatures as low as 44 °F. The actual infectious dose is unknown, but most scientists believe it takes only a small number of this strain of E. coli to cause serious illness and even death, especially in children. It is killed by thorough cooking.

Illnesses caused by E. coli O157:H7 have been linked with the consumption of undercooked ground beef. Raw milk, apple cider, dry cured sausage, and undercooked roast beef have also been implicated.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
i'm with jay...i can do steak like that but the texture of ground beef just doesn't feel right when you chew it.

about the illness thing...the more steps it takes to package the more likelyhood for contamination. but this day in age the stores are so careful to avoid lawsuits that i honestly think you could kick a steak around the meat dept. and be fine after eating it!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm looking at cost to benefits ratio too. Is the risk of becoming deathly ill and ruining all of your gym gains worth not cooking your beef?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had to come back and post another reply on just how much of a shiver that gave me when I read you like the taste of raw ground beef lol
It tasted better than that time I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti......

I really love the taste man, plain at room temp. it's sooo good...

Clarice doesn't think so....

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
People eat sushi, raw vegetables and fruits 51% of Americans don't wash them, etc.....

Even medium ground beef gives me indigestion, steak doesn't, but I'm not about to get raped with the steak prices everyday.

I think the risk is often exaggerated because you always hear about it.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
People eat sushi, raw vegetables and fruits 51% of Americans don't wash them, etc.....

Even medium ground beef gives me indigestion, steak doesn't, but I'm not about to get raped with the steak prices everyday.

I think the risk is often exaggerated because you always hear about it.
publix here has "mock" tenderlion. i buy the whole thing at 3.50/lb. tastes way better than sirlion and cost the about the same! buying the whole cut of meat will save you at least 50 cents per/lb which adds up for peeps like us!

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
you are supposed to say.."what do you think my body fay % is"? i stole that from another thread...just thought it was funny

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
publix here has "mock" tenderlion. i buy the whole thing at 3.50/lb. tastes way better than sirlion and cost the about the same! buying the whole cut of meat will save you at least 50 cents per/lb which adds up for peeps like us!
That's the problem with meat in general, I can't stomach lean meat, I haven't had chicken breast in years, I smother the tuna in mayo, only prime rib, ribeye, pork chops have to have a good layer of fat, country style ribs, etc....

Only lean I like are organ meats, calf liver, chicken heart and beef heart but I'm pretty sure they got a little bit of fat on them, tastes like it anyway, and lean game meat is fine too.

I bought sirlion steak for the first time in years last week from Publix, I ended up throwing most of it away, too lean.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
this stuff tastes way better than sirloin...i do see your point though, some of it is hard to get down. i used to "lube" up my tuna with mayo so it would go down. luckily i've long gotten used to it.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This was a sample day last week, 4 serving of WPI, 1/2 cup of blue berries and 1.7 lbs of ground beef.

Fat 158.6g 1,430 calories 58%

Carbohydrate 14g 76 calories 3%

Protein 233.2g 968 calories 39%%

Total: 2,478 calories

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have a refeed every 15th and 30th of each month, Alcohol+carbs, that's it.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Most sushi is blast frozen to kill bacteria. No comparison.

lbarber

lbarber

Awards
  • Established
Raw ground beef? 73/27? ill... I hope you're eating grass fed beef and not grain fed. Although I guess I should add I eat my steaks really red and I've never gotten sick from doing so...

Cerberus777

Cerberus777

Awards
I hear ya Omen! raw just taste great!

I some times get farm fresh ground beef and freeze meat ball and thaw (nuke for 10-15 seconds)and eat them raw. I have only got sick from under cooked chicken. I love raw meat beef, sushi, ect. I am a little scared of supper market raw meat.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's some info I found out:

All cattle have E Coli in their stomachs, grass fed is safer, here's why:

The level of E coli in the stomach of a grass fed cow was only 20,000 units(whatever the units were I can't remember), the corn fed cattle had 200,000 units!!

Not only that, but the corn fed cattle have higher stomach PH similar to humans than grass fed beef, so the E coli create a resistance when they enter a human body, because they're used to that high PH.

While in the grass fed beef, they're used to low PH so they get destroyed in the human stomach.

I don't give a **** about some ****ing E Coli, I'll sprinkle some on my eggs before I stop eating raw beef.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Raw ground beef? 73/27? ill... I hope you're eating grass fed beef and not grain fed. Although I guess I should add I eat my steaks really red and I've never gotten sick from doing so...
grass fed is the way to go!
... but why such a high fat content?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IMHO, go right ahead and eat it, though I have been known to indulge in a steak or a cheeseburger every now and then, I believe the worst threats to your life are the prions that cause CJD, which no amount of heat will change.

I worry a lot more about CJD than any other malady that could come from meat.

Mark my words, you heard it here first...wait until you see what happens in two or three years when large numbers of people are diagnosed with CJD...the numbers will astoud you.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
as far as I know as a rule of thumb make sure all fish, chicken, turkey poultry are all well done.

Eggs and beef you can get away with milder cooked than chicken and fish. I'm not saying "mild" just a bit less cooked. Make sure the poultry is well done.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
cant you get ringworm, tapeworm, and other parasites from eating raw beef??

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cant you get ringworm, tapeworm, and other parasites from eating raw beef??
Tapeworm is freakin' scary stuff.......

Ringworm is actually a fungal infection.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
shitting out a 5 foot worm aint that bad :rant::dump::fool2:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
shitting out a 5 foot worm aint that bad :rant::dump::fool2:

...that is some fcuked up repugnant sh1t!

I don't know about throat cancer, but you will most certainly develop cancer of the ar$ehole.

Check it out next time you're up there, otherwise you'll be destined to dig it out with a spoon on a daily basis

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It is so he can eat his offspring alive one day......

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Any real danger in ****ing a monkey? Scientists say you're 5 times more likely to get AIDS from having ass sex with a gay man, so a monkey must be safe, right?

:icon_lol:

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
haha, guys i was serious about the whole tape worm thing.....i hear it sucks shitting out a 5 foot worm......alive :O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm

It's basically a "Prion" that eats holes in your brain. The human version of "Mad Cow Disease"

Sitting through my microbiology class in college scared the living crap out of me eating anything raw again.
Is it true though that "prions" that eat holes in your brains cannot be destroyed by heat?

If so then you're ****ed either way

It is so he can eat his offspring alive one day......
I'm just waiting for yours.....If you're nice enough I'll save you the cheeks.

Any real danger in ****ing a monkey? Scientists say you're 5 times more likely to get AIDS from having ass sex with a gay man, so a monkey must be safe, right?
Correct, unless you f*ck a lot of monkeys, have them blow you and then tongue em all, eating them after that is optional.

(no homo)

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
haha, guys i was serious about the whole tape worm thing.....i hear it sucks shitting out a 5 foot worm......alive :O
Is there any risk in eating a 5 foot tape worm? After you clean the **** off of course, saute'd with mushrooms and garlic, can I use that for a cutting diet ?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is it true though that "prions" that eat holes in your brains cannot be destroyed by heat?

If so then you're ****ed either way

They are some nasty sh*t man. I'd post the pic of the prion diseased brain, but i'll save everyone the horror. :lol:

As far as my knowledge base goes, i don't believe there to be any treatment once it's been acquired. It's basically a progressive neurologic destructive state that turns you literally into a "vegetable" over time.

Thankfully i've never heard of a documented case in this country, but it certainly could happen....

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
They are some nasty sh*t man. I'd post the pic of the prion diseased brain, but i'll save everyone the horror. :lol:

As far as my knowledge base goes, i don't believe there to be any treatment once it's been acquired. It's basically a progressive neurologic destructive state that turns you literally into a "vegetable" over time.

Thankfully i've never heard of a documented case in this country, but it certainly could happen....
Haha, I just saw that ****....damn...:lol:

I wouldn't eat those brains if they were free and served with liver and fava beans!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha, I just saw that ****....damn...:lol:

I wouldn't eat those brains if they were free and served with liver and fava beans!!
Lol!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Monkey f*cking, AIDS, sauted tapeworms, eating babies - this thread has it all!

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, as far as I know the prions can't be disabled (I don't know if "killed" would be proper, I don't know if they are alive) no matter how much heat is used.

Yes, you've never heard of anyone being diagnosed in the USA...yet...once more I tell you, no matter how scary it is to say this, just wait two or three years...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
so prions are an incurable disease...as much as doctors charge to hold your balls they cant afford to research this enough to find a cure?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
so prions are an incurable disease...as much as doctors charge to hold your balls they cant afford to research this enough to find a cure?
Probably not much demand since it's rarely diagnosed. I think hrmmmmm cancer and aids might be on the top of the list as far as funding goes...

Burner

Awards
I just caught a 40lb yellow fin tuna:) I've been making tuna stakes searing the sides and leaving the center raw....soooo good. This post wasnt meant to be helpful, i was just proud of the fish i got:) More tuna!

Attachments

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh man that tuna looks good! Wow! Not what I needed to see at this hour, when I am looking at another 7 hours or more until I have a real meal...but mmmm!!!

Addendum to my last post...Prions or no prions, there's a filet mignon with my name on it waiting at my cousin's wedding reception this weekend! And I just bought another package of ground (local) beef for my freezer...rock on!!!