help with ketogenic and anabolic diet please

cessna

cessna

Awards
hello everyone....

i've been training for about 5 years and recently i took a break of about 2 months to rest my body....i just started again i did loose a bit o definition and muscle and strenght.. well i just started the anabolic diet but i dont understant how the carb load should be......i reed that should be saturday and sunday but i not sure ho much carb and what kind of carb should i take without compromising ketosis state im extremely insensitive to carbs i gain fat easily when i follow i diet rich in carbs even in small amounts so thats why im trying this diet....also are you allow to cheat on the carb load days? i appreciate if anyone could give an andvice on this....
thanks in advance (sorry for my english)

cessna

cessna

Awards
this is mi diet

before AM cardio : 1 scoops whey protein 1 cup coffee

meal 1 : 3 whole eggs, 4 egg whites 1 tbsp natural peanut butter

meal 2: 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese(no salt added) 1 tbsp olive oil

meal 3: 1 can tuna 1 tbsp olive oil 1 cup green beens or broccoli

meal 4 : 1 onz peanuts (unsalted) 1/2 cup cottage cheese low fat or half can of tuna

meal 5: before workout 1 scoop whey protein 1 tbsp
natural peanut butter

postworkout meal: 2 scoop whey protein

dinner: two turkey burguers (no bread) 1 cup green beans 1 tbsp olive oil or 2 tilapia pieces

before bed : 1/2 cup cotagge cheese 1tbsp peanut butter

my weight is 140 lbs and about 11 to 13 % bf

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not 100% certain on the anabolic diet (I know more about the CKD's, etc), but I think your shooting for 2x's your caloric needs as a regualar day from the week. So if you consume 3k cals on Mon-Fri then saturday you would put down 6k, then Sunday you would lower it to something like 5k or 4k.

Your goal is supersaturation (glycogen) so the carb source really isnt an issue (you can use anything). However if you able to each complex carbs and meet your caloric goal then go for it (its very unlikely though). So simple carbs are very much needed.

^^^Caution, I think I'm spewing bodyopus info above not Anabolic diet. So lets wait a lil bit for those more in the know.

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
I was on a ketogenic diet for the past two something months and I'm just now starting to make the transition slowly back to carbs. To avoid gaining weight have your "cheat meal refeed" once a week. Pick a meal on the weekend to cheat, preferably your last meal of the day so that you don't have to eat again, and just eat whatever foods and carbs you want. I'd usually go all out and eat lots of bread and then finish off a tub of ben and jerries ice cream w some cookie dough.

Invest in a supplement called Vanadyl Sulfate. It's a good mineral supplement that will help your body with glucose metabolism. Taking two before your cheat meal and two after will possibly lessen any bloat and help shuttle glucose out of your blood faster. But as per your original question, carb load doesn't quite matter. As a good rule of thumb, make it once a week that you refeed and eat whatever you want.

cessna

cessna

Awards
thanks for the replies....yes i heard about vanadyl ill try it....
but the carb up day should last all day long breakfats to dinner? or just one meal? so its not neccesary to have 2 carb load days?

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the replies....yes i heard about vanadyl ill try it....
but the carb up day should last all day long breakfats to dinner? or just one meal? so its not neccesary to have 2 carb load days?
No, one meal. If you do a two-day carb load you'll likely put on water weight and fat. Doing a one meal carb refeed still allows you to indulge and eat what you want without the risk of putting on extra weight. It will serve its purpose --- the carbs from that meal will be stored as glycogen and anything else will be shat out.

If you want, you can also do a smaller carb refeed (again, just one meal) every four days. This is less ideal for cutting purposes, but in place of doing a 2 day carb up something like that may better suit your needs.

cessna

cessna

Awards
ok thanks i appreciate it.....i just started with the diet like 2 days ago i think my body has to adapt as i read usually takes like 4 weeks should i do the carb up meal 4 weeks from now? or this coming weekend assuming carb stores are fully depleted

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not so sure about using the vanadyl on the carb meal? I believe it reduces the release of insulin in some way, correct? I'm not sure this is ideal when trying to shuttle nutrients into muscles. Unless that isnt the goal of the carb up?

cessna

cessna

Awards
Vanadyl Sulfate Insulin Mimicking Mineral

Vanadyl sulfate, one of the most popular bodybuilding supplements, is derived from trace mineral vanadium. carries the highest quality vanadyl sulfate available!

2. What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Athletes have long used vanadyl sulfate to increase their performance. It is believed to play a role in helping to regulate the body's healthy blood sugar levels, similar to insulin. Studies show that vanadyl sulfate mainly helps the muscle cells uptake glucose (instead of fat cells (adipocytes) uptaking glucose). Basically, by mimicking the actions of insulin, vanadyl sulfate forces more proteins, amino acids, and carbohydrates directly into muscles. Vanadyl sulfate is an awesome, popular supplement that seems to work for building better muscles; nevertheless, the scientific jury is still deliberating.

3. Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

Bodybuilders find vanadyl sulfate especially effective because of the fullness it gives their muscles. Weight lifters and bodybuilders take vanadyl to increase their results while working out and because they experience greater pumps and vascularity. Symptoms of deficiency are not associated with vanadyl sulfate.

4. How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

The recommended dosage is between 30 and 50 mg per day with meals in divided doses. Supplementing with vanadyl sulfate is safe and effective when taken in the recommended amounts. As with most trace minerals, over supplementing may be toxic, so don't take too much!

hope this help

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
ok thanks i appreciate it.....i just started with the diet like 2 days ago i think my body has to adapt as i read usually takes like 4 weeks should i do the carb up meal 4 weeks from now? or this coming weekend assuming carb stores are fully depleted

Nah, you'll transition into ketosis in a matter of days. It usually takes the body about 3-4 days to burn up all stored glycogen and then you start burning fats. Go the first two weeks without doing a refeed. Stay strictly ketogenic, consume under 20 grams carbs a day and let your body adapt to burning muscle triglycerides for energy. After about 2 weeks do a refeed when your body could most benefit from glycogen loading.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Someone gave you bad gouge. You are to do 2 FULL DAYS of carb ups, not 1 meal. Personally I go from friday night until sunday night.

cessna

cessna

Awards
but theres something i dont understand and i been researching.....ok lets say after two weeks in this diet no carbs at all....then comes saturday morning should my carbs sources come from high glycemic or low glycemic the 2 days of loading? also i reed you can do just 24 hours of carb load....im respond very bad to carbs so i think 48 hours carbing up its too much.....thank for responses....

also what about the piece of fruit they tell you to eat before your deplenish workout on friday?

cessna

cessna

Awards
its ok if i do only one 24 hours carb up period? because i know my body i dont think it will react in a good way with a 48hours period.........also can i sheat that day or its better to keep it healthy?

also i saw the list of foods that you are allow to eat on this diet but i didnt see peanut butter and cottage cheese and i really like it can PB and CC be incorporate on this diet?

THANKS

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Definitely keep fat as low as possible.. I sort of "cheat" on my entire re-feeds, but use Low fat versions, etc. Like ill make a pizza with 2% cheese/turkey peperoni, mike and ikes, fruity pebbles with 2% milk, really whatever i feel like, and am craving.

cessna

cessna

Awards
ok thanks for the advices......but i have a questions about the fat intake i reed about you should take a specific amount of fat depending your weight but this specific numbers of grams of fat should i count the saturated fat or just the total amount of fat on a specific serving for given meal? for example my numbers says that on each meal i have to take a minimun of 28 grams of fat plus 50 grams of protein... lets say i eat 6 whole eggs there is 27 grams of fat its that the way i count the fat grams or do i have to count the saturated fat? thanks

also i saw the list of drinks you can have and i didnt see coffee its there any problem with drinking coffee?

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
On a Keto diet you count all fats, sat, poly mono all of them. They all contibute to the total calorie intake. As for the coffee, that sounds like the palumbo diet. He's not a fan of stimulants.....

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
hello everyone....

i've been training for about 5 years and recently i took a break of about 2 months to rest my body....i just started again i did loose a bit o definition and muscle and strenght.. well i just started the anabolic diet but i dont understant how the carb load should be......i reed that should be saturday and sunday but i not sure ho much carb and what kind of carb should i take without compromising ketosis state im extremely insensitive to carbs i gain fat easily when i follow i diet rich in carbs even in small amounts so thats why im trying this diet....also are you allow to cheat on the carb load days? i appreciate if anyone could give an andvice on this....
thanks in advance (sorry for my english)
Start with sugary carbs and work your way into low GI carbs. When I carb up, first I eat a box of special k bars, or waffles with syrup, then a few cups of oats, then fruit and brown rice/pasta. Start it immediately after a whole body workout, to ensure that each muscle group is carb depleted. I usually cheat on carb up days, but I am an ecto and can get away with that. In fact, I only do 3 low carb days, and keep monday and tuesday moderate carb, to ensure that I do not lose any mass. I don't follow the AD, I do more of a carb cycle. In terms of quantity, I listen to my body. I guess roughly 3.5 gm/lb body weight. If I start getting soft, I back off a bit. On high carb days, most of your calories should come from carbs, maybe 30% fat and protein.

cessna

cessna

Awards
thanks to everybody for the replies and advices......im trying to stay within my required grams of fat according with my weight eating EFA's should i worry about the saturated fat or its fine on this type of diet to eat a bit more than i usually do ? right now the diet has been good in not hungry like on a tipical low carb high protein diet.........also how should be the training on this diet i know that cardio its better to do it on slow mode but im not sure about reps and intensity on weight training if anybody can give an advice on this ill appreciate it thanks....

cessna

cessna

Awards
thanks for that info destilled water......but it dosent said anything about saturated fat should im worry about those during the induction phase? i ask this because this is my second day on the diet i started on monday i dont know my LBM but im using this formula Your bodyweight in lbs x 18 (body weight 140 lbs) so that gives 2520 calories a day (1008 CALORIES FORM PROTEIN) ( 1512 CALORIES FROM FAT) so i did the math and it gives me:

252 grams of protein
167 grams of fat

but i start to se that i start to lose a bit of cut even thought im doing cardio firts time in the morning and after training what could be the reason?

thanks

cessna

cessna

Awards
ok thanks....... but why would be that im losing a bit of cut? should i increase my training intensity ?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
thanks for that info destilled water......but it dosent said anything about saturated fat should im worry about those during the induction phase? i ask this because this is my second day on the diet i started on monday i dont know my LBM but im using this formula Your bodyweight in lbs x 18 (body weight 140 lbs) so that gives 2520 calories a day (1008 CALORIES FORM PROTEIN) ( 1512 CALORIES FROM FAT) so i did the math and it gives me:

252 grams of protein
167 grams of fat

but i start to se that i start to lose a bit of cut even thought im doing cardio firts time in the morning and after training what could be the reason?

thanks
Try keeping your sat. fat in the ballpark of 33% of your total fat intake.

You will seem to lose cut on this diet during the low carb portion in the latter part of the week as your glycogen stores become depleted. This is normal. Each carb up should be thought of as a "recomposition" phase. During this time if you're consuming a proper amount of glycogen your defenition will return.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I'm not so sure about using the vanadyl on the carb meal? I believe it reduces the release of insulin in some way, correct? I'm not sure this is ideal when trying to shuttle nutrients into muscles. Unless that isnt the goal of the carb up?
Exactly. This, and other insulin mimitecs (variations of ALA, anabolic pump, etc.) can further induce ketosis and will lower the insulin response that we try so hard to set up during the high carb weekend. These are better used during the first two low carb days of the week to get you into ketosis faster.

cessna

cessna

Awards
my saturated fat intake is around 55g.daily and yes im taking ALA and magnesium and i will buy vanady sulfate for the carbu up days . and my training is split is:

monday: legs generally 4 exercises ( sets: 4)
reps: 12, 12 , 10, 10 ,8)

tuesday: chest 4 exercises ( sets: 4)
( reps: 15, 12 , 10 , 8)

shoulders: (sets: 3)
(reps: 15 , 15 , 15 , 12 ) light weight

wednesday: back (sets:4) sometimes 5 depens on energy level
(resp: range between 12 and 10 )

thursday : biceps (sets: 4)
(reps: range between 15 and 12 thats the only way i can get good pumps)

triceps (sets:4)

(reps: range between 12 and 10)

friday hamstrings (sets: 4)
(reps: between 15 and 12)

i do 30 minutes of cardio after weight and sometimes firts thing in the morning

i bought the ketostix's but i didnt show any dark color

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
You're going to use the Vanadyl during carb up days? If you read my last post you would see why that isn't ideal.

Your training routine needs to go hand in hand with your glycogen stores if you want to get the most out of this diet.

I would suggest that you keep your training to 3-4 days per week with the first 2-3 w/o days being tension workouts at around 80% of your 1RM. This early in the week your glycogen stores will be full enough to support heavier weight. The final workout day for the week should be a 2 hour full body depletion workout at about 50% of your 1RM. This can include supersets, strip sets, etc. Immediately following your depletion workout you should start your carb up. This type of routine while on a CKD has shown to very effectively replenish glycogen stores. Think of yourself on Friday as a dry sponge (glycogen depleted) ready to soak up water (or in this case, glycogen). Doing the high rep depletion workout will help you to soak up the most glycogen to prepare you for the next week.

IroNwIlL2006

IroNwIlL2006

Awards
I started a thread in here a while back on the anabolic diet. Still on it and Ill tell you brother, its all trial and error. There is no set amount of time for your carb ups, only a rough limit of two days. Ive found I can't take a long carb up, so I go 12hrs to 24 hrs max and I also avoid the high gi carbs because I end up feeling like sh*t. I stick with the 60/30/10 template for as long as the carb up goes.

BTW You do not need fad supplements on this diet! Save your money for food (or maybe roids.)

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I started a thread in here a while back on the anabolic diet. Still on it and Ill tell you brother, its all trial and error. There is no set amount of time for your carb ups, only a rough limit of two days. Ive found I can't take a long carb up, so I go 12hrs to 24 hrs max and I also avoid the high gi carbs because I end up feeling like sh*t. I stick with the 60/30/10 template for as long as the carb up goes.

BTW You do not need fad supplements on this diet! Save your money for food (or maybe roids.)
I agree here. Consensus by vets of the diet seems to be that no matter how long the carb up lasts you'll find that while you cut keeping your fat macros at 10% will yeild the best results. 60/30/10 is also what I use.

cessna

cessna

Awards
thats the part i dont understand (tension workouts) what exactly its that? what i understand with that its better to do around two sets per bodypart and reps range between 8-10?
except for the depletion workout.....and about the vanadyl sulfate your're right its not a good idea for carb up days
but its ok to do cardio (slow mode for 30 minutes?)

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
I would personally do more than 2 sets per body part during the tension workout for major muscle groups. Just keep your rep range between 6-8 during these workouts.
If you want to do cardio on this diet then the decision is up to you.

cessna

cessna

Awards
okay im on my day 5 of the AD im trying to keep the fat intake high or at least within my weight.....mostly my fat intake comes from (EVOO, cheeses, eggs , ground meats) im not comsuming to much red meat because of the time it takes to cook the meat and im out of my house almost the all day so i take a few tuna cans for lunch but my dinner i try to eat more fat like eggs with cheese and EVOO....til now my energy levels have been up and down good days bad days but i hope the next week will be better...... i been having a little headache.

well but i have a problem before i started this diet my diet was high in protein and low in fat and carbs because im an endo and carbs dont go with me....well the thing is that before this diet i had my six pack and after 5 days on the AD i started to see that they begin to disappear but its not terrible i know they can come again easy and i started to see less cuts on my body should i worry? or its to much fat what im taking? i reed that this diet it supposed to be high in fat and thats what im doing.... i just dont wanna quit from this diet because it seems to work so if anyone could help me on this one ill appreciate it thanks

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
The AD is all about trial and error. I had a nice set of abs going into the diet as well but I gained an initial 5 lbs of fat when i first started, lol. I almost lost my patience and quit as well once my abs were no longer visible. All I can tell you is that it may take a little bit of time and patience for your body to adjust and to get your calories/macros tuned in. I would give it 1-2 months for this to occur and to be running smoothly on the diet. So, if your goal is to keep your abs for the rest of the summer then it may not be the best idea to start a new diet right now. Just my 2 cents.

cessna

cessna

Awards
no i really dont mind right now if i lose a bit my abs since i dont have time to go to the beach because of my studies but i was wondering if this is normal on some persons.....plus if i were eating carbs as im eating fat i can assure i were a skinny fat person lol..... so this diet it dosent seen to be too bad for me maybe its just matter of time like you said....ill try for for a month or two months to see what happens......

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
Good call. It is normal to see a little weight fluctuation as your body becomes adjusted to this diet. How many calories are you currently eating on low carb days?

cessna

cessna

Awards
im taking between 2300 and 2520 calories

252 g. protein (1008 calories)
167 g. fat ( 1512 calories) my saturated fat intake is between 57 grams each day

its bad if someday i go over my calories ?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
No that is a good place for you to start, IMO. If you find after a month you aren't seeing results I would then slowly lower the cals a bit.

I find a better synergy when I keep my macros at ~70% fat and ~30% protein rather than the 60% fat/40% protein that you have listed. This is by no means set in stone, but eventually you should try altering your macros a bit and see how it works for you.

cessna

cessna

Awards
ok ill try that to see what happens..... for example today i went over 624 calories and im still hungry and i just ate my dinner i dont know if keep eating or what its that bad?

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
No, that is ok. You don't want to starve yourself during the induction phase. Eat as much as you need too.

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
No that is a good place for you to start, IMO. If you find after a month you aren't seeing results I would then slowly lower the cals a bit.

I find a better synergy when I keep my macros at ~70% fat and ~30% protein rather than the 60% fat/40% protein that you have listed. This is by no means set in stone, but eventually you should try altering your macros a bit and see how it works for you.
:goodpost:

Consider this, as you enter strive for ketosis during the low carbs phase of the diet, an abundance of protein can be counter productive as protein is glucogenic. The recommendation of 70% fat, 30% protein is solid. Also, a lot of higher fat (hamburger, cheese etc.) naturally reflect those ratios, making meal creation much easier!

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to spiderduncan again.

cessna

cessna

Awards
yes i reed about the protein that can be counter productive....
ill do that go 70%f---- 30% pro.

so after the induction phase that is 12 days i go for the depletion workout my post workout meal should be simple carbs right in liquid form?

what about dinner that day should be simple carbs or complex?

and breakfast the following day assuming im doing a 24 hours carb up only

im sorry im asking too much but im just wanna do things right

thanks

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
See bold comments:

yes i reed about the protein that can be counter productive....
ill do that go 70%f---- 30% pro.

so after the induction phase that is 12 days i go for the depletion workout my post workout meal should be simple carbs right in liquid form? Actually, I believe you should take in some carbs prior to your fullbody tension workout, workout and consume a lot of carbs.

what about dinner that day should be simple carbs or complex? The priority would/should be placed upon liquid meals (example: gatorade and whey). Honestly, I preferred to eat sugar cereals, raisin/cinnamon bread and pastas.

and breakfast the following day assuming im doing a 24 hours carb up only As the carb up progresses, one should shift from simple to complex. Oatmeal (with some sugar) would be more than adequate.

im sorry im asking too much but im just wanna do things right

thanks
I am certain that Botch can fill in the blanks. It has been some time since I utilized the CKD or TKD. Rest assured, it is an effective diet for maintaining hard earned muscle and maximizing fat loss.