The Niacin Flush and Detoxification

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Poseidon, the Niacin Flush and Detoxification

The Niacin "Flush"

It's important to note that this niacin flush is not harmful or dangerous. Some people worry about it, but it is actually a sign of improved blood flow.
When you get the niacin "flush", it's an indication that the niacin is causing small blood vessels in your body to be expanded in size. Many of your small blood vessels, called "capilaries" are so small that blood cells can only go through them in single file. Sometimes, in fact, that small capilary passageway is clogged and blood doesn't get through at all.

While the large organs of the body all have blood supplied from large arteries, a great deal of your body, particularly the parts near the skin, get their ONLY supply of blood (therefore also of oxygen and nutrients) from these small capillaries.
The niacin causes these small capilaries to expand - so they might be able to carry 2 or 3 blood cells at the same time. This is a tremendous increase in blood flow.
You experience this as a "flushing" of the skin, simply because there is more blood close to the surface of the body. As the blood flows in these areas, the cells of the small capilaries will also be getting rid of their waste products, and often they produce 'histamine' as part of this process. That histamine is another natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins. Histamine causes an 'itchy' feeling.

The role of niacin in detoxification​

Niacin opens blood vessels wider. Niacin, when used properly, offers benefits in terms of cholesterol reduction, as well as for detoxification. People with high cholesterol levels should see improvements once their follow the proper diet of raw foods, preferably through a good juicing program, along with the proper healing fats in their diet. However for people who don't respond, it would seem that niacin would be a far safer and less expensive alternative to the statin drugs, which have their serious complications.
Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin – vitamin B3 - and the common name for 2 very different compounds: "nicotinic acid" and "niacinamide". High doses of niacin (as nicotinic acid) can lower cholesterol levels (although the exact mechanism of action is still not known). The other form of niacin (nicotinamide or niacinamide) does not open blood vessels wider nor provide a cholesterol-lowering effect.

Niacin and detoxification of fatty tissues​

There are many 'detoxification programs' on the internet, but few of them acknowledge the significant fact that many toxins are stored in FATTY TISSUES. Until that fact is acknowledged, one can not develop a procedure for removing toxins from THAT location.

Until the Ron Hubbard purification program was developed, no one had even yet recognized that these oil soluble toxins had such long-term effects in the body.
An important characteristic of the Hubbard detoxification program is the use of niacin. Niacin has the well-known effect of causing "vasodilation", often called the niacin flush, which is an opening of the small blood vessels, the capillaries, so that more blood flows through them. These are the blood vessels which are of most value in reaching fatty tissues. In this way the toxins which are stored in these fatty tissues can be removed, into the bloodstream, and processed out of the body. However, niacin is also made in the form of niacinamide - a form of vitamin B3 which, deliberately, is manufactured so that it will NOT cause dilation of the blood vessels - the flush so well known when using plain niacin. A detoxification program which features the use of niacinamide and also claims to improve blood circulation would be based on false science.
Some detoxification programs don't even recognize that the toxins they claim to be removing are stored in fatty tissues. The idea of removing these toxins by some procedure which does not include niacin is not practical.

Workin

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Workin,

I wanted to experience the difference between nicotinic acid and niacinamide before buying Poseiden. I bought some time released nicotinic Acid yesterday (500mgs) and took one this morning on an empty stomach. About a half hour later I started to get the flush, I felt like I had the worst sunburn all over my whole body, especially face, and my skin hurt to touch as well as being slightly itchy. Then I felt slightly short of breath (heart rate and BP were normal, I tested) and it has lessened in the last few hours but it is still there. While I am impressed with the effect it is at the point that I almost find it annoying (especially since my skin is still sensitive to the touch like sunburn). I am wondering if that is because of the time release? Does this indicate I really needed the niacin? Will the flush effect start to lessen with repeated use? THoughts?

Mr.50

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
500mg is a real hefty dose on Niacin even if it's time release. Could be that you may have just taken to much at a time and to much was release at once. It could be a really good sign of detoxing what with the slight itch caused by histamine release, but personally I think it may have just been to much being released over a prolonged period of time(Poseidon gives about 75mg/serv). From personal experience the flush does subside or lessen with prolonged use. I rarely even get one know with my daily doses of Poseidon.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is interesting. I wonder if some of the effects are exacerbated because I have been going tanning. I went yesterday and I did not get burned but the parts of my skin that are usually most likely to get burned are the ones that are most itchy. Really interesting but I am sure interested in the detoxification effects becasue I suspect I could really use some detox.

Mr.50

500mg is a real hefty dose on Niacin even if it's time release. Could be that you may have just taken to much at a time and to much was release at once. It could be a really good sign of detoxing what with the slight itch caused by histamine release, but personally I think it may have just been to much at once(Poseidon gives about 75mg/serv). From personal experience the flush does subside or lessen with prolonged use. I rarely even get one know with my daily doses of Poseidon.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Although not helpful initially, your body does tend to lessen the niacin flush reaction over time.

Were it me (and it has been), I would take it with food, at night prior to bed and together with an aspirin.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ah, thanks.

Although not helpful initially, your body does tend to lessen the niacin flush reaction over time.

Were it me (and it has been), I would take it with food, at night prior to bed and together with an aspirin.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
500mg is a real hefty dose on Niacin even if it's time release. Could be that you may have just taken to much at a time and to much was release at once. It could be a really good sign of detoxing what with the slight itch caused by histamine release, but personally I think it may have just been to much being released over a prolonged period of time(Poseidon gives about 75mg/serv). From personal experience the flush does subside or lessen with prolonged use. I rarely even get one know with my daily doses of Poseidon.
I agree with prld2gr8ns. 500mgs is a LARGE amount all at once. Granted it's time released, but in my experience, not all time released forms of niacin actually are "TIME RELEASED".

It does sound like your body was getting a good detox effect...just to much of one. I would recommend taking Poseidon with a protein shake to start off with. Once you've been on for a week, start taking it on an empty stomach. The flush will lessen the longer you take Poseidon as your body will begin ridding itself of toxins. Keep us posted on your progress!

Workin

tremelo24

Board Supporter
Awards
Workin, I've noticed that when I take Poseidon within 5-6 hours of training (and the following morning), I get MAJOR niacin flush. I never get it otherwise. I train 'balls to the wall' and would imagine that I create a good deal of waste byproducts in the process. In any case, I just wanted to add my two cents and say that what I'm experiencing seems to tie in with your post.

The first time this happened I didn't know what to think. I trained, came home took a shower and relaxed in my chair. I downed a serving of Poseidon and did a little meditation. About 15 minutes later I felt my ears burning, then noticed my elbows felt pretty warm as well. I looked in a mirror and saw my naturally tan skin BRIGHT almost NEON pink on my ears and elbows. It went away within about 20 minutes. Fortunately I had already read this post of yours so it didn't freak me out. Otherwise... :eek:

Last edited:
Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's funny when I get one in the gym and my whole body turns beat red. Some people have that look on their face lie i'm going to explode :p

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Niacin is no joke. I took 300mg of straight Niacin before pumping up and going onstage for prejudging on Saturday and I felt like I was literally on FIRE. It was awesome and definitely brought out my vascularity even more. :twisted:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Workin, I've noticed that when I take Poseidon within 5-6 hours of training (and the following morning), I get MAJOR niacin flush. I never get it otherwise. I train 'balls to the wall' and would imagine that I create a good deal of waste byproducts in the process. In any case, I just wanted to add my two cents and say that what I'm experiencing seems to tie in with your post.

The first time this happened I didn't know what to think. I trained, came home took a shower and relaxed in my chair. I downed a serving of Poseidon and did a little meditation. About 15 minutes later I felt my ears burning, then noticed my elbows felt pretty warm as well. I looked in a mirror and saw my naturally tan skin BRIGHT almost NEON pink on my ears and elbows. It went away within about 20 minutes. Fortunately I had already read this post of yours so it didn't freak me out. Otherwise... :eek:
Yep anytime you take some niacin or Poseidon on a empty or even partially empty stomach you'll get some good tingling going on. That just shows that it's working it's magic. If it bothers you, just take it with a good old protein drink or some other lite beverage, that will quench the flush somewhat.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it's funny when I get one in the gym and my whole body turns beat red. Some people have that look on their face lie i'm going to explode :p
Are you sure that's because of the flush?:D

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you take the Niacin with food and do not get the flush does that mean it is not doing its work to detoxify?

Mr.50

Yep anytime you take some niacin or Poseidon on a empty or even partially empty stomach you'll get some good tingling going on. That just shows that it's working it's magic. If it bothers you, just take it with a good old protein drink or some other lite beverage, that will quench the flush somewhat.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absorption of a lot of supps can be hindered by food, especially water soluable vitamins. While this "may" block some intestinal absorption of the said product, in a lot of ways it also offers a less over longer peroid of time type of scheme. Food slows absorption down, slower digestion means a lot doesn't hit your system at once, which would equate to a diminished flushing experience. We advocate the empty stomach approach to utilize the fast action onset of Poseidon and to ensure that adequte amounts will get into your system. One of the draw backs is the flush one might get. That being said, a light protein drink will allow for just enough gut delay to offset the niacin, yet still insure that a good amount of it get's into your system.

So taking niacin with food is still giving you some of the benefits of the product. Some will get into your system, and some will be hindered,which want give you the wollop of the product your hoping for.

BigTom

Awards
Too much Niacin

My Doc has me on 1000mgs Niacin/ day 500am. 500pm. He told me not to exceed that amount or It COULD become mildly toxic. On occasion I have gone over 1000mg, and have gotten an, NO2 like, headache.
Niacin helps the ol' lipid profile, especially raising HDL.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, nicotinic acid is getting alot of buzz in the research world as of late with it's cardiovascular protective capabilities. If I remember right, I believe Pfizer or one of the big boys was working on a Pharm grad nicotinic pill. Don't really know the specifics of it though.

At 75mg per pop Poseidon is perfectly safe for consuming at the recommened dosage. BigTom have you noticed any type of flush with that dosage protocol, or is the supplement a mixture of nicotinic acid and niacinamide, or just niacinamide?

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Nice post, the more i read about you, your company and your posts the more positively it reflects your company and supplements, So why exactly havent i ordered poseidon yet? you ever coming to canada or am i destined to pay 25$ shipping?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ungh, Canadian shipping is a pain from what I've seen from others posting about it here and there. Hopefully Sam and the NP guys could get another sale going with some shipping discounts, because as of the moment NP is the only retailer carrying Poseidon.

And thanks for the kind words SWG, your making me blush.:D

BigTom

Awards
Yep, nicotinic acid is getting alot of buzz in the research world as of late with it's cardiovascular protective capabilities. If I remember right, I believe Pfizer or one of the big boys was working on a Pharm grad nicotinic pill. Don't really know the specifics of it though.

At 75mg per pop Poseidon is perfectly safe for consuming at the recommened dosage. BigTom have you noticed any type of flush with that dosage protocol, or is the supplement a mixture of nicotinic acid and niacinamide, or just niacinamide?
I take the "Non-Flush variety, BUT I'm going to switch. I like the "buzz" . It let's me know all my capillaries are being oxygenated.
Low HDL, which I have. is as bad as high LDL or triglycerides. The HDL scrubs the bad cholesterol off the artery walls. I am looking forward to a pharmaceutical grade HDL elevator. The niacin has me right at 40-45 HDL. That's the bare minimum.
@#$%&ing genetics!:sad:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Niacinamide is usually the main ingredient in the non-flush varieties of pure Niacin products. Just keep in mind that all the research going on with HDL and niacin has been centered around nicotinic acid(the buzz, burn, form). Your switch might be better for you in more ways then just the buzz.:thumbsup:

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I took 4 servings of Poseidon last night within about 3 hours..all on an empty stomach with no niacin flush. 100 mg niacin tabs give me a raging flush so this is good news in terms of me getting my naicin intake. No gastro upset either.

Awesome mind and muscle relaxation from the Poseidon..nice work, Workin!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I took 4 servings of Poseidon last night within about 3 hours..all on an empty stomach with no niacin flush. 100 mg niacin tabs give me a raging flush so this is good news in terms of me getting my naicin intake. No gastro upset either.

In the immortal words of Borat,"That's ah niiiiice!"

Thanks for quick review and kind words bio.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i have never had the flush form poseidon, either! one serving of Purple Wraath and i tingle all over! so does that mean that i am not getting the full benefits? I sleep great and the skin clearing is phenomenal as i have stated many times!

but i have NEVER gotten the flush from poseidon.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like your getting the benefits macey, not everyone reacts the same with said products. I know I still get the occasional slight flush, but not nearly as often or as strong as when I first started yet I still "feel" it.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i just want to "FEEL" it!

:icon_lol:

AWESOME ARTICLE, workin!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Then pick the bottle up and rub it.:D

If you want you can even go so far as to open the container and sift thru the fine, grainy goodness that is the texture of Poseidon, and without a doubt you will "feel" it.:D

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL, your going to be one happy boy.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established

Great feedback tremelo24! Thanks for taking the time to post!

Workin

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Nice post, the more i read about you, your company and your posts the more positively it reflects your company and supplements, So why exactly havent i ordered poseidon yet? you ever coming to canada or am i destined to pay 25$ shipping?
Thanks for your interest somewhatgifted! Canada is hard to work with unfortunately. Nutra Planet may be working on some specials for you guys in the near future. :)

Workin

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established

Thanks for the kind words bioman :) Glad your liking Poseidon! Keep us updated on your results :thumbsup:

Workin

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
i just want to "FEEL" it!

:icon_lol:

AWESOME ARTICLE, workin!
Thanks Mace!

Everyone responds differently...it just shows how different we all really are. It does sound like your reaping the benefits nicely...even though you aren't "feeling" the flush ;) I predict you will one of these days! :)

Workin

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your interest somewhatgifted! Canada is hard to work with unfortunately. Nutra Planet may be working on some specials for you guys in the near future. :)

Workin
Cool ive had 3 bottles of poseidon and 2 packages of pudding waiting for a shipping discount.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Cool ive had 3 bottles of poseidon and 2 packages of pudding waiting for a shipping discount.
Don't hold me to that...I just know NP has done things with shipping to Canada in the past, and it seems like there is some chatter that it may happen again sometime. When? I don't know unfortunately.

Workin

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
The Niacin "Flush"

It's important to note that this niacin flush is not harmful or dangerous. Some people worry about it, but it is actually a sign of improved blood flow.
When you get the niacin "flush", it's an indication that the niacin is causing small blood vessels in your body to be expanded in size. Many of your small blood vessels, called "capilaries" are so small that blood cells can only go through them in single file. Sometimes, in fact, that small capilary passageway is clogged and blood doesn't get through at all.

While the large organs of the body all have blood supplied from large arteries, a great deal of your body, particularly the parts near the skin, get their ONLY supply of blood (therefore also of oxygen and nutrients) from these small capillaries.
The niacin causes these small capilaries to expand - so they might be able to carry 2 or 3 blood cells at the same time. This is a tremendous increase in blood flow.
You experience this as a "flushing" of the skin, simply because there is more blood close to the surface of the body. As the blood flows in these areas, the cells of the small capilaries will also be getting rid of their waste products, and often they produce 'histamine' as part of this process. That histamine is another natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins. Histamine causes an 'itchy' feeling.

The role of niacin in detoxification​

Niacin opens blood vessels wider. Niacin, when used properly, offers benefits in terms of cholesterol reduction, as well as for detoxification. People with high cholesterol levels should see improvements once their follow the proper diet of raw foods, preferably through a good juicing program, along with the proper healing fats in their diet. However for people who don't respond, it would seem that niacin would be a far safer and less expensive alternative to the statin drugs, which have their serious complications.
Niacin is a water-soluble B vitamin – vitamin B3 - and the common name for 2 very different compounds: "nicotinic acid" and "niacinamide". High doses of niacin (as nicotinic acid) can lower cholesterol levels (although the exact mechanism of action is still not known). The other form of niacin (nicotinamide or niacinamide) does not open blood vessels wider nor provide a cholesterol-lowering effect.

Niacin and detoxification of fatty tissues​

There are many 'detoxification programs' on the internet, but few of them acknowledge the significant fact that many toxins are stored in FATTY TISSUES. Until that fact is acknowledged, one can not develop a procedure for removing toxins from THAT location.

Until the Ron Hubbard purification program was developed, no one had even yet recognized that these oil soluble toxins had such long-term effects in the body.
An important characteristic of the Hubbard detoxification program is the use of niacin. Niacin has the well-known effect of causing "vasodilation", often called the niacin flush, which is an opening of the small blood vessels, the capillaries, so that more blood flows through them. These are the blood vessels which are of most value in reaching fatty tissues. In this way the toxins which are stored in these fatty tissues can be removed, into the bloodstream, and processed out of the body. However, niacin is also made in the form of niacinamide - a form of vitamin B3 which, deliberately, is manufactured so that it will NOT cause dilation of the blood vessels - the flush so well known when using plain niacin. A detoxification program which features the use of niacinamide and also claims to improve blood circulation would be based on false science.
Some detoxification programs don't even recognize that the toxins they claim to be removing are stored in fatty tissues. The idea of removing these toxins by some procedure which does not include niacin is not practical.

Workin
I have a weird question for you Workin'. I have bought one tub of Poseidon and am beta testing before I serve it up to my Dad, is it possible for Poseidon to help me have incredible BMs? I ask because they have been amazing and full the last three days. I feel as though I have lost a few pounds of dung that may have just been sitting up there dehydrated.

Any ideas?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I definitely think that's possible and noticed an improvement in BM's myself. IMO, it's less about the hydration aspect and more about alkalyzing your system which makes all bodily systems work better.

On a similar note, my skin's complexion is getting better and better on this stuff. My back, which has been scarred by chronic cystic acne over the last 20 years, has not looked this clear and smooth (relatively speaking, of course) since before acne entered my life. This is likely a symergistic effect from Poseidon, Apple Cider Vinegar and high doses of vitamin A (30,000-40,000iu's per day).

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
I definitely think that's possible and noticed an improvement in BM's myself. IMO, it's less about the hydration aspect and more about alkalyzing your system which makes all bodily systems work better.

On a similar note, my skin's complexion is getting better and better on this stuff. My back, which has been scarred by chronic cystic acne over the last 20 years, has not looked this clear and smooth (relatively speaking, of course) since before acne entered my life. This is likely a symergistic effect from Poseidon, Apple Cider Vinegar and high doses of vitamin A (30,000-40,000iu's per day).
EXACTLY...well said Bioman.

Poseidon certainly will help with keeping you regular as it balances out the fluids in your system for optimal performance with literally thousands of different functions your body performs everyday.

I'm glad your having such good results and BM's! ;)

Workin

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Hey, if you can't poop..you can't train.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I am seriously finding new ridges in my abs due to the beautiful BMs!

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
SO true i have been dropping COW PATTIES!!!!

Its awesome!!

I took 3 serving on an empty stomach in the morning and then cooked up my breakfast. Well lets just say, the God is the see was :smite: smiting me!! HAHA!!
Its kind of cool when i flush because my skin get really tight and of course it burns! But since i live in God forsaken PA and its snowing i just go outside for a few min and i feel just fine!

This stuff rocks WORKIN!!!!:woohoo: :dance:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Poseidon defenitly promotes perastalic wave contraction in the large intestines. All of which can be contributed to the proper mineral balances and their effects on muscluature contraction. The bowels are one big organ surrounded by muscles you know.:D

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established

Its awesome!!

I took 3 serving on an empty stomach in the morning and then cooked up my breakfast. Well lets just say, the God is the see was :smite: smiting me!! HAHA!!
Its kind of cool when i flush because my skin get really tight and of course it burns! But since i live in God forsaken PA and its snowing i just go outside for a few min and i feel just fine!

Great feedback! Thanks buffhunk! Glad to hear about your success and your COW PATTIES! lol!

Workin

mmowry

mmowry

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Its awesome!!

Im still lovin the flush also:D

BTW God hasnt forsaken PA but He hasnt heeded my prayers about the weather either.:( :D

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
Thanks workin! I am thinking about packaging up one of those patties and sending it down your way!! HAHA

Yea you right mmowry God has not foresaken us we just need to pray harder. being that my dad is a pastor i will see what we can do HEHE!!!

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Thanks workin! I am thinking about packaging up one of those patties and sending it down your way!! HAHA

Yea you right mmowry God has not foresaken us we just need to pray harder. being that my dad is a pastor i will see what we can do HEHE!!!
Please do...shippings on me! lol!

Workin

buffhunk29

buffhunk29

AI Sports Fitness Expert
Awards
  • Established
HAHA AWESOME!! Well expect one late this week i will save up a few!!!!

Good man good man!! :duel:

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This thread just took a turn.:icon_lol:

And guys without the PA weather, Rocky wouldn't be half as cool.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 13
Supplements 6
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
ECTOmorph Supplements 3
Anabolics 19