Jesus Christ

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27397
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    88.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Jesus Christ


    Jesus Christ
    By Phil Harris
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007

    My next statement is one-hundred percent correct. Not one person who saw my headline thought to himself or herself, "Jesus Christ… who is that?" Perhaps some of you thought I was swearing. Others, no doubt, are offended that I should use the name of Jesus in such a manner. In any case, the name rings a bell for everyone.

    The name Jesus is familiar in nearly every corner of the globe. For the Jews, Jesus was a Rabbi who stirred things up at a particular time in history. The Muslim's Quran speaks of Jesus as one of the great Prophets, created miraculously. Muslims believe that Jesus did not die on the cross, but ascended to Heaven while still alive.

    Christians believe Jesus was crucified, died, and was buried. Then he arose from the dead and ascended to heaven. This is central to the Christian faith, because the entire reason for Jesus' coming was to defeat the consequences of sin, and eternal death. Christians believe that Jesus took the death penalty of sin upon Himself, and paid the price on our behalf.

    Of course, there are people who declare themselves to be Christians, but for no significant reason other than an adherence to a social philosophy. Sort of like wearing a tee shirt, that declares an allegiance to the writings of Voltaire or Rousseau.

    Other religions (including Islam) have arisen since the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. All of them are forced to deal with the name and person of Jesus Christ, in order to make room for their own existence. Jehovah Witnesses declare that Jesus Christ was really Michael the Archangel prior to his birth. Upon his death, they believe that He did not return to Heaven as God the Son, but once again as Michael the Angel.

    Mormons believe that Jesus was a created being: the elder brother of Lucifer (otherwise known as Satan, or the Devil). They believe that Jesus was "a god", rather than an inseparable member of the one Godhead, otherwise known as the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). They also believe Jesus was not conceived by the Holy Spirit, but that "God" had sex with Mary as a man, and conceived Jesus just as any other man would have been conceived.

    Our secular or atheist brethren deal with Jesus on a sliding scale, from recognizing Him as a historical but insignificant figure, all the way to an absolute denial that there ever was such a person. I presume that agnostics could not care less, one way or the other.

    Such is the name of Jesus Christ, known to billions of people throughout history. Yet once again, we see a battle raging in America, simply for the acknowledgment of the reason for the season. The same process is at work as occurs in the peripheral religions, which is to marginalize the importance of Jesus, and to dethrone Him from his identity as God the Son.

    This is why I continue to speak of the religion of secular purity. There exists a burning need to cleanse the "public square" of Christ's name, even while accommodating the special needs of other beliefs, such as those held by Muslims. It is the same dynamic at work. Do you hear the howls of protest, coming from those who wail at the wall of separation between church and state?

    The commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ has been observed for centuries as Christmas. There is no scriptural commandment to celebrate Christmas, but the significance of Christmas should be obvious to anyone. It roughly marks the day to remember, when God gave to us the greatest gift ever given in the history of mankind. He gave Himself as God the Son, Jesus, who would choose to die in our place. His unique blood was destined to wash our sins away then, now, and forever.

    Faith is believing without the benefit of seeing. Jesus suffered and died horribly on the cross for our benefit. Believing, without seeing, should not be much of a burden to bear. The name of Jesus does not demand death for those who use it inappropriately, but offers life for those who write it upon their hearts.

    As we move through the Holidays, let us love one another and share what we have with those who have less. There truly is a wonderful spirit of peace and joy in this season for the whole world, as was so beautifully set to music in George Frederic Handel's Messiah… "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html

  2. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,715
    Rep Power
    986901

    There would be no Christmas without the Christ.
  3. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    that was good stuff.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I will say this, the start of your last paragraph is the most important aspect IMO
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  5. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    I will say this, the start of your last paragraph is the most important aspect IMO
    exactly. it made me think of someone giving to me genuinely, helpin me out. that made me think that i actually have some friends that are homeless right now, and others who might need my help. Id like to do that this season, help them out even tho i dont have much. Maybe they will see that there is good in people and that some people will lend out a hand.
  6. Elite Member
    ReaperX's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    7
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    33341
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    16.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    A lot of people are fairweather Christians. It takes more than going to Church only on Easter/Christmas. It even takes more than just going to church on Sunday and being 'good'.

    I think a lot of people have a misguided and skewed view about what it is to be a Christian and Christianity. As a believer it requires a very active role on our parts seeking out God and not being passive/picking apart what we like, what we don't like, what we feel like doing, etc, etc.


    People tend to believe in God when it is 'convient' for them like 9/11.
  7. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    To me this is not a religious issue at all. This is a good nature issue. THe most important thing to me is to try and help when and if you can, regardless of any religious connect it might have.

    I am not a religious man at all, in fact I am a nontheist, but that should never take away from ones moral obligations
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  8. Elite Member
    thewilman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,167
    Rep Power
    3209
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    95.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    He gave Himself as God the Son, Jesus, who would choose to die in our place. His unique blood was destined to wash our sins away then, now, and forever.


    Amen Brother! Merry CHRISTmas!

    Jesus IS the reason for the season!
  9. Senior Member
    bludevil's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,922
    Rep Power
    2745
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    98.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Merry Christmas and God Bless, very nice post.
  10. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Faith is believing without the benefit of seeing. Jesus suffered and died horribly on the cross for our benefit. Believing, without seeing, should not be much of a burden to bear. The name of Jesus does not demand death for those who use it inappropriately, but offers life for those who write it upon their hearts.
    Where's that Religious thread now?

  11. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Great post!

    Just a reminder, though... there still are areas of the world that have NOT been touched by the Word of God, or have ever heard of Jesus. Just a reminder to share your faith.

  12. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    just curious, by sharing you mean when asked of course?
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    LOL, to the graphic above.

    As the aboriginal of Nunavut do not practice christianity, they obviously do not exist.
  14. New Member
    BLADE74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

    One thing I love most is when one is as outspoken about me about Jesus and his role in our spritual quests. Faith IS Blind and never lead life with your human eyes for they can not comprehend the works of what God can do. Amen to that post!! One thing I we all must remember is that there is one church or body of the church and that one IS Jesus. There aren't any true religions there are true christians. True Christians don't slander other churches for their beliefs. Like Jesus said to the apostles when they tried to stop people from praying in Jesus' name. If they be for me, then who be against me? Love your negihbor no matter how htye worship, love your enemy evenif they do not believe what you do. Don't try and force God on one who's in question. Just lead your life and let all those see what it is about you that makes you so different from the rest of the world. Be fisherman of men.
  15. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Good post, I think (grammar kind of confused me)?
  16. New Member
    BLADE74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

    Sorry I may have typos and was busy multi tasking and not paying attention to my typing. lol
  17. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    LOL, to the graphic above.

    As the aboriginal of Nunavut do not practice christianity, they obviously do not exist.
    It was merely to show that not everyone has heard of Christ as the author implied. I've tried to hold my tounge in numerous threads, but you truly are the most pompous person on this board, and am thankful that I will most likely never have to meet you face-to-face. I could break down your behavior in some pseudo-scientific fashion like you do for every subject in any post, but I feel like I would be wasting my breath.
  18. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,715
    Rep Power
    986901

    Lets not even go there.

    "God bless us, every one!"
  19. Board Supporter
    joeymutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    742
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    20.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    i don't believe in god....but i do believe that there is something, like a higher power or a type of energy. I don't believe that jesus walked on water or did most of the stuff he did. I do believe he was a good person. i don't believe moses parted the see either how come shortly after that no one was ever talked about doing those kinds of things?
  20. New Member
    BLADE74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by joeymutz View Post
    i don't believe in god....but i do believe that there is something, like a higher power or a type of energy. I don't believe that jesus walked on water or did most of the stuff he did. I do believe he was a good person. i don't believe moses parted the see either how come shortly after that no one was ever talked about doing those kinds of things?

    Moses didn't part the sea, God did. It's ok that you feel the way you feel. If anything, you can read a great love story called the bible about a God who loved his people soo much he'd move the waters, mountains, for them. But if you are coming on this thread to cause strife, please don't. Non-believers need not apply. I pray in the name of Jesus that he bring you salvation and show you his face. I've got many personal experiences with the Holy Spirit. I've spoken in Holy tongues, I've been filled with the visions of the holy ghost, I know He is real. Someday you will to my friend. Some eyes have been shielded from Jesus for good reasons but in the end we all find out the truth.
  21. Elite Member
    thewilman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,167
    Rep Power
    3209
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    95.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by joeymutz View Post
    i don't believe in god....but i do believe that there is something, like a higher power or a type of energy. I don't believe that jesus walked on water or did most of the stuff he did. I do believe he was a good person. i don't believe moses parted the see either how come shortly after that no one was ever talked about doing those kinds of things?
    While I don't agree with you, your beliefs are your choice and you have every right to believe them. It is very common for some to say that Jesus was NOT the Son of God BUT he was a good man.

    Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, Jesus claimed to forgive sins, Jesus claimed to be the ONLY way to everlasting life. Jesus made a lot of outlandish claims that the Jews of the time knew that He was claiming to be God. With that stated, Jesus was one of three things:

    1. A Liar
    2. A Lunatic
    3. THE Son of God


    A good person wouldn't lie, wouldn't mislead his followers, and wouldn't claim to be God. So while I would never tell you that you MUST choose to believe that Jesus is God, I do believe that only one of the three options above is logical.

    You lost me with the whole Moses thing
  22. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    It was merely to show that not everyone has heard of Christ as the author implied. I've tried to hold my tounge in numerous threads, but you truly are the most pompous person on this board, and am thankful that I will most likely never have to meet you face-to-face. I could break down your behavior in some pseudo-scientific fashion like you do for every subject in any post, but I feel like I would be wasting my breath.
    Calm down, pumpkin. I was laughing at the graphic, and not your opinion of it. If you would have held off your mini-tirade long enough to think about what I was saying, you would have realized I was agreeing with you.
  23. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BLADE74 View Post
    Moses didn't part the sea, God did. It's ok that you feel the way you feel. If anything, you can read a great love story called the bible about a God who loved his people soo much he'd move the waters, mountains, for them. But if you are coming on this thread to cause strife, please don't. Non-believers need not apply. I pray in the name of Jesus that he bring you salvation and show you his face. I've got many personal experiences with the Holy Spirit. I've spoken in Holy tongues, I've been filled with the visions of the holy ghost, I know He is real. Someday you will to my friend. Some eyes have been shielded from Jesus for good reasons but in the end we all find out the truth.
    not trying to start something but for humors sake, you havent read the Old Testament have you? There is little love in there
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  24. New Member
    BLADE74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    106
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    95.85%

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    not trying to start something but for humors sake, you havent read the Old Testament have you? There is little love in there
    None started, the whole bible is a love story BUT the old testament was mainly law, the new testament was when the second Adam (Jesus) came down to show us how to worship and pray. Both are loving no doubt but now the Laws are embedded in our hearts and we no longer need the Old unless we want to reverty back to some things we have questions about. Sorry If my post came off like there was no love in old testament.
  25. Elite Member
    thewilman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,167
    Rep Power
    3209
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    95.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    not trying to start something but for humors sake, you havent read the Old Testament have you? There is little love in there
    Exodus 20:6
    But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.

    Leviticus 19:18
    “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

    Leviticus 19:34
    Treat them like native-born Israelites, and love them as you love yourself. Remember that you were once foreigners living in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

    Deuteronomy 5:10
    But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.

    Deuteronomy 10:12
    [ A Call to Love and Obedience ] “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the Lord your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul.

    Psalm 5:12
    For you bless the godly, O Lord;you surround them with your shield of love.

    Psalm 6:4
    Return, O Lord, and rescue me.Save me because of your unfailing love.

    Psalm 13:5
    But I trust in your unfailing love.I will rejoice because you have rescued me.

    Psalm 25:6
    Remember, O Lord, your compassion and unfailing love,which you have shown from long ages past.

    Jeremiah 31:3
    Long ago the Lord said to Israel:“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.

    499 references to the word "love" in the OT.

    263 references to the word "love" in the NT.

  26. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Calm down, pumpkin. I was laughing at the graphic, and not your opinion of it. If you would have held off your mini-tirade long enough to think about what I was saying, you would have realized I was agreeing with you.
    Note to everyone: I shouldn't have said what I said, and I sent my apology to Mullet.
  27. Elite Member
    thewilman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,167
    Rep Power
    3209
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    95.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    But, I do get your point...Reaper.
  28. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Of course Christmas is not a Christian holiday but one of pagan origin.
  29. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Of course Christmas is not a Christian holiday but one of pagan origin.
    Definitely. Primarily Sol Evictus, an early Roman holiday celebrating the Winter Solstice. I believe Constantine (?) amalgamated the two in order to quell religious unrest in his empire. At the time Judaism, Paganism, and Christianity were all 'competing' so to speak within the Roman Empire. When Constantine ordered Christianity the 'official state religion' he needed a way to subsume the Pagans under that moniker. There was no way he could completely ban there practices, so many things practiced today as 'Christian' are actually Pagan hybrids.
  30. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Of course Christmas is not a Christian holiday but one of pagan origin.
    I think it would be a better translation to say that Christmas is a spin-off of what was a pagan holiday. Christmas is exactly what it is; a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

    Definitely interesting stuff, though. I just read up on the history of Christmas.
  31. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I think it would be a better translation to say that Christmas is a spin-off of what was a pagan holiday. Christmas is exactly what it is; a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

    Definitely interesting stuff, though. I just read up on the history of Christmas.
    Definitely. If you're up for some further reading, research the Ecumenical Councils, which decided the NT's canons, church hierarchy, as well as some universally taken for granted christian facts.

    Among other major Christian tenets, these councils determined the legitimacy of jesus's divinity, the existence of an incorporeal god-head (as opposed to the father, son, and holy spirit being of different form and matter [which is still argued by some denominations, see: Jehovah's Witnesses, as they deny all Ecumenical Councils]). Among the research therein, it is definitely quite interesting to see the ar***** of certain theological elements in the NT, as well as the genesis of certain festivals, rituals, etc., that are often taken for granted as 'always have beens'.
  32. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by BLADE74 View Post
    None started, the whole bible is a love story BUT the old testament was mainly law, the new testament was when the second Adam (Jesus) came down to show us how to worship and pray. Both are loving no doubt but now the Laws are embedded in our hearts and we no longer need the Old unless we want to reverty back to some things we have questions about. Sorry If my post came off like there was no love in old testament.
    Just having a little fun, the OT in general is a fairly angry book when read in its entirety, IMO
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  33. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,410
    Rep Power
    987663
    Level
    73
    Lv. Percent
    41.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I think it would be a better translation to say that Christmas is a spin-off of what was a pagan holiday. Christmas is exactly what it is; a celebration of the birth of Jesus.

    Definitely interesting stuff, though. I just read up on the history of Christmas.

    the only small issue with that is that according to the scenery as described in the bible, Jesus was not born in December. It is based primarily on Sol Invictus, with other references on Mithrasism.

    It is totally understandable for cultures to intermingle traditions in this way. I mean the greeks and romans shared the same gods with different names, it makes sense for it to be in this fashion
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  34. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    Just having a little fun, the OT in general is a fairly angry book when read in its entirety, IMO
    I agree with that totally. The Torrah and New Testament were never meant to be combined, and that was actually a conscious decision of the councils mentioned above to amalgamate them. If it seems there is a disjunction between the two, there is. The Torrah was written with no intention to be combined with, or form the basis of, another religion.
  35. Board Supporter
    joeymutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    742
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    20.26%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BLADE74 View Post
    Moses didn't part the sea, God did. It's ok that you feel the way you feel. If anything, you can read a great love story called the bible about a God who loved his people soo much he'd move the waters, mountains, for them. But if you are coming on this thread to cause strife, please don't. Non-believers need not apply. I pray in the name of Jesus that he bring you salvation and show you his face. I've got many personal experiences with the Holy Spirit. I've spoken in Holy tongues, I've been filled with the visions of the holy ghost, I know He is real. Someday you will to my friend. Some eyes have been shielded from Jesus for good reasons but in the end we all find out the truth.
    I'm definitely not trying to cause strife just voicing my opinion. I was actually raised catholic and have made my conformation. It wasn't until i lived in korea for a year that i realized i"m not a believer. I honestly think the bible was made up by certain people to keep things from becoming total chaos. I do think it is a great thing that people believe in something, it gives you hope that when you die there is an afterlife. i believe there is an afterlife but not heaven or hell. i believe our energy goes somewhere else and we are reborn again. That may sound stupid to some but hey that what keeps me in check. if ur negative and a bad person you are bad energy, and you will not be happy with where your energy goes. it's interesting when you get to view first hand what other cultures believe and how it can change what you were FORCED to believe.
  36. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I don't know about the birth of Christ since he wasn't born in December... Don't get me wrong, since i'm a believer in Christ i just think that man corrupts and bends everything to suit his needs that we have to look much deeper to find the truth as it was meant to be and not as it is shown to us on the surface. Christmas today is rarely if ever celebrated in anyone's name, other than the almighty dollar.

    Just an old, angry man's observation.
  37. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    I don't know about the birth of Christ since he wasn't born in December... Don't get me wrong, since i'm a believer in Christ i just think that man corrupts and bends everything to suit his needs that we have to look much deeper to find the truth as it was meant to be and not as it is shown to us on the surface. Christmas today is rarely if ever celebrated in anyone's name, other than the almighty dollar.

    Just an old, angry man's observation.
    Ya, I didn't necessarily mean it's Jesus' exact birthday, just a celebration of it, or the celebration of such an amazing savior. I fully agree with you that Christmas is more commercial than anything these days. Linus had it right the first time...

  38. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27397
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    88.31%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I agree with that totally. The Torrah and New Testament were never meant to be combined, and that was actually a conscious decision of the councils mentioned above to amalgamate them. If it seems there is a disjunction between the two, there is. The Torrah was written with no intention to be combined with, or form the basis of, another religion.
    If you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, which I do, you might see things a little different. An omnipotent being would indeed have inspired the writings knowing full well they
    would be combined as the New is the fulfillment of the old. Christ said: "I did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it."

    The old testament is full of prophetic references to the messiah, whom Christians believe is Jesus and those who remain in Judaism are still waiting for Him.

    In Matthew 27:46
    And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

    This is a direct reference to Psalm 22. Psalm 22 is especially amazing since it predicted 11 separate things about Jesus’ crucifixion about a thousand years before they happened.

    The Messiah will be the offspring (descendant) of the woman (Eve) Genesis 3:15- Galatians 4:4

    The Messiah will be a descendant of Abraham, through whom everyone on earth will be blessed. Genesis 12:3; 18:18 - Acts 3:25,26

    The Messiah will be a descendant of Judah. Genesis 49:10 - Matthew 1:2 and Luke 3:33

    The Messiah will be a prophet like Moses . Deuteronomy 18:15-19 Acts 3:22,23

    The Messiah will be the Son of God. Psalm 2:7 - Matthew 3:17; Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22

    The Messiah will be raised from the dead (resurrected). Psalm 16:10,11 Matthew 28:5-9; Mark 16:6; Luke 24:4-7; John 20:11-16; Acts 1:3 and 2:32

    The Messiah crucifixion experience Psalm 22 (contains 11 prophecies) Matthew 27:34-50 and John 19:17-30

    The Messiah will be sneered at and mocked. Psalm 22:7 - Luke 23:11,35-39

    The Messiah will be pierced through hands and feet. Psalm 22:16 Luke 23:33 and 24:36-39;
    John 19:18 and 20:19-20,24-27

    The Messiah’s bones will not be broken (a person’s legs were usually broken after being crucified to speed up their death). Psalm 22:17 and 34:20 - John 19:31-33,36

    Men Will Gamble for the Messiah’s clothing. Psalm 22:18 - Matthew 27:35; Mark 15:24; Luke 23:34; John 19:23,24

    The Messiah will accused by false witnesses. Psalm 35:11 - Matthew 26:59,60 and Mark 14:56,57

    The Messiah will be a born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14 - Matthew 1:18-25 and Luke 1:26-35

    The Messiah’s first spiritual work will be in Galilee. Isaiah 9:1-7 - Matthew 4:12-16

    The Messiah will make the blind see, the deaf hear, etc. Isaiah 35:5-6 Many places. Also see Matthew 11:3-6 and John 11:47

    The Messiah will be beaten, mocked, and spat upon. Isaiah 50:6 Matthew 26:67 and 27:26-31

    The “Gospel according to Isaiah” Isaiah 52:13-53:12 Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

    People will hear and not believe the “arm of the LORD” (Messiah). Isaiah 53:1 John 12:37,38

    The Messiah will be killed. Isaiah 53:5-9 Matthew 27:50; Mark 15:37-39; Luke 23:46; John 19:30

    The Messiah will be silent in front of his accusers Isaiah 53:7 Matthew 26:62,63 and 27:12-14

    The Messiah will be buried with the rich. Isaiah 53:9 Matthew 27:59,60; Mark 15:46; Luke 23:52,53; John 19:38-42

    The Messiah will be crucified with criminals. Isaiah 53:12 Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27; Luke 23:32,33

    The Messiah will be our intercessor (intervene for us and plead on our behalf). Isaiah 59:16 Hebrews 9:15

    The Messiah will be born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2 Matthew 2:1 and Luke 2:4-7

    The Messiah will enter Jerusalem riding a donkey. Zechariah 9:9 Matthew 21:1-11

    The Messiah will be sold for 30 pieces of silver. Zechariah 11:12,13 Matthew 26:15 with Matthew 27:3-10

    The Messiah will forsaken by His disciples. Zechariah 13:7 Matthew 26:31,56

    Just to name a few. And a council decided these should be joined together? I would say they made a good call.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  39. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27064
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    If you believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, which I do, you might see things a little different. An omnipotent being would indeed have inspired the writings knowing full well they
    would be combined as the New is the fulfillment of the old. Christ said: "I did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it."

    The old testament is full of prophetic references to the messiah, whom Christians believe is Jesus and those who remain in Judaism are still waiting for Him.

    In Matthew 27:46
    And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

    This is a direct reference to Psalm 22. Psalm 22 is especially amazing since it predicted 11 separate things about Jesus’ crucifixion about a thousand years before they happened.

    The Messiah will be the offspring (descendant) of the woman (Eve) Genesis 3:15- Galatians 4:4

    The Messiah will be a descendant of Abraham, through whom everyone on earth will be blessed. Genesis 12:3; 18:18 - Acts 3:25,26

    The Messiah will be a descendant of Judah. Genesis 49:10 - Matthew 1:2 and Luke 3:33

    The Messiah will be a prophet like Moses . Deuteronomy 18:15-19 Acts 3:22,23

    The Messiah will be the Son of God. Psalm 2:7 - Matthew 3:17; Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22

    The Messiah will be raised from the dead (resurrected). Psalm 16:10,11 Matthew 28:5-9; Mark 16:6; Luke 24:4-7; John 20:11-16; Acts 1:3 and 2:32

    The Messiah crucifixion experience Psalm 22 (contains 11 prophecies) Matthew 27:34-50 and John 19:17-30

    The Messiah will be sneered at and mocked. Psalm 22:7 - Luke 23:11,35-39

    The Messiah will be pierced through hands and feet. Psalm 22:16 Luke 23:33 and 24:36-39;
    John 19:18 and 20:19-20,24-27

    The Messiah’s bones will not be broken (a person’s legs were usually broken after being crucified to speed up their death). Psalm 22:17 and 34:20 - John 19:31-33,36

    Men Will Gamble for the Messiah’s clothing. Psalm 22:18 - Matthew 27:35; Mark 15:24; Luke 23:34; John 19:23,24

    The Messiah will accused by false witnesses. Psalm 35:11 - Matthew 26:59,60 and Mark 14:56,57

    The Messiah will be a born of a virgin. Isaiah 7:14 - Matthew 1:18-25 and Luke 1:26-35

    The Messiah’s first spiritual work will be in Galilee. Isaiah 9:1-7 - Matthew 4:12-16

    The Messiah will make the blind see, the deaf hear, etc. Isaiah 35:5-6 Many places. Also see Matthew 11:3-6 and John 11:47

    The Messiah will be beaten, mocked, and spat upon. Isaiah 50:6 Matthew 26:67 and 27:26-31

    The “Gospel according to Isaiah” Isaiah 52:13-53:12 Matthew, Mark, Luke, John

    People will hear and not believe the “arm of the LORD” (Messiah). Isaiah 53:1 John 12:37,38

    The Messiah will be killed. Isaiah 53:5-9 Matthew 27:50; Mark 15:37-39; Luke 23:46; John 19:30

    The Messiah will be silent in front of his accusers Isaiah 53:7 Matthew 26:62,63 and 27:12-14

    The Messiah will be buried with the rich. Isaiah 53:9 Matthew 27:59,60; Mark 15:46; Luke 23:52,53; John 19:38-42

    The Messiah will be crucified with criminals. Isaiah 53:12 Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27; Luke 23:32,33

    The Messiah will be our intercessor (intervene for us and plead on our behalf). Isaiah 59:16 Hebrews 9:15

    The Messiah will be born in Bethlehem. Micah 5:2 Matthew 2:1 and Luke 2:4-7

    The Messiah will enter Jerusalem riding a donkey. Zechariah 9:9 Matthew 21:1-11

    The Messiah will be sold for 30 pieces of silver. Zechariah 11:12,13 Matthew 26:15 with Matthew 27:3-10

    The Messiah will forsaken by His disciples. Zechariah 13:7 Matthew 26:31,56

    Just to name a few. And a council decided these should be joined together? I would say they made a good call.
    Well, there is obvious fallacy there, insofar as the claim to universality of god's inspired word. If such was true, denominational segregation would not exist, as all canon would have essentially the same interpretation. But, I digress.

    I believe it was not until 350 AD when the Torah and NT were combined, so, yes, a council did decide they should be amalgamated though I am not sure the specific name.
  40. New Member
    brogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    272
    Rep Power
    256
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    84.35%

    Quote Originally Posted by BLADE74 View Post
    None started, the whole bible is a love story BUT the old testament was mainly law, the new testament was when the second Adam (Jesus) came down to show us how to worship and pray. Both are loving no doubt but now the Laws are embedded in our hearts and we no longer need the Old unless we want to reverty back to some things we have questions about. Sorry If my post came off like there was no love in old testament.


    Interestingly, I'm a Christian, buy Proverbs is probably my favorite book.

    Any person can apply the wisdom from that book into their lives, regardless of their religion (or lack thereof), and reap massive benefits.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Jesus Was No Leftist
    By bpmartyr in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 02:24 AM
  2. Jesus Tomb Found?
    By CNizz in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 08:35 PM
  3. "Jesus Says" Avatar
    By Viking22 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
  4. Dear christ, I wish I didn't own a Truck
    By Spectre32 in forum Politics
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in