Sports Drinks Eat Away Tooth Enamel

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Popular Drink Eats Away Tooth Enamel

Don't overdo it on the sports and energy drinks. While they hydrate thirsty athletes and sweaty weekend gardeners, they are best consumed by chugging them. Don't sip and savor them all day. Why? They eat away tooth enamel and that can lead to tooth decay and a host of other dental problems, reports HealthDay News.

Sports and energy drinks are even more abrasive on tooth enamel than tea and cola drinks. That's the surprising message from J. Anthony von Fraunhofer, director of biomaterials research at the University of Maryland Dental School in Baltimore.

The study: Using extracted human teeth, von Fraunhofer exposed the enamel to a variety of beverages, including energy drinks, fitness water, sports drinks, colas, lemonade and iced tea. The experiment simulated 13 years of exposure from normal consumption of each beverage. The teeth were weighed before and after exposure to calculate the dissolution of the enamel.

The results: All the tested beverages produced some enamel damage, but some caused more than others. The worst drinks in order:

* Lemonade
* Energy drinks
* Sports drinks
* Fitness water (often with citrus flavors)
* Iced tea
* Colas

While colas contain the most acids, the energy and sports drinks contain organic acids that actually speed up damage to tooth enamel.

Meanwhile, the sports drink industry insists there is no link between the beverages and dental problems, notes HealthDay News.

Still, no one is saying don't drink these beverages. Go ahead and drink them all you want. Just chug them and don't sip on them all day long. "If you are going to drink sports drinks or colas, drink them quickly and then try to rinse your mouth. Or use a straw. It gets it past your teeth," Dr. Craig W. Valentine, a dentist from Lakeland, Fla., told HealthDay News.

Beware one thing: Don't drink any of the tested beverages and then brush your teeth right away. Toothpaste is abrasive and it will actually work the beverage acids into your teeth.

The study findings were published in the journal General Dentistry.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
I've never heard my dentist tell me to stop drinking gatorade or Sobes Energy drinks. Lol it seems nothing is good for the human now-a-days. You only live once.

dannyboy9

dannyboy9

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alot of sports drinks and energy drinks have alot of sugar in them. Could that be one of the main reasons why they're detrimenal to your dental health?

I'm going to start gargling w/ some mouth wash after I drink these products from now on lol.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
humm... can teeth enamel heal itself after a while? because if it does, I think cycling the sports drink is in order here.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
red devil lye...kinda like draino for cleaning drains and stuff....but people find many other uses for it

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I guess drinking a lemon flavorde gatorade while eating sour patch kids and sucking on a lemon is a bad thing?™

Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
Don't worry guys, there is a very huge discrepency with the study. The teeth used were not teeth in someone's mouth. There were basically submerged in cups of gatorade for long periods of time. There is a study that proves this one wrong. It revolves around the basis that saliva protects the teeth from such decay and something about enamel not having the same strength as a "live tooth" and you obviously wouldn't walk around with gatorade in your mouth for days on end. I have the link at work and will post it later this morning.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You know what it is? that goddamned High Fructose Corn Syrup.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
It is kind of in everything these days, isn't it?

in a good majority of mainstream items yes.u have to look a little bit closer.i make sure to look at labels and shop at my health food store.id rather pay more and have to look a bit harder for things than sacrifice my health and well being.hfcs is one of the things topping the list right now for things u do NOT ever want to put into your body.

as to sports drinks and tooth decay.well for a period of a couple months i was drinking loads of gatorade for extra calories.over those couple months i develeoped some severe enamel stripping on a few of my teeth.timing is quite odd if its not true as i haev some major work to get done on my teeth now in general.i no longer drink that crap.

i know a dental professional that says sports drinks are the most acidic erosive thing one can drink as far as denal heaalth goes

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
i also wanted to inquire about the mention of tea
this is talking about sugar laden ice tea or ust straight tea in general?i was aware that the tannins in tea might stain the teeth.but i thought green tea especially killed bad bacteria that caussed plaque?so is it acidic and damaging to teeth/enamel?
so it wouldnt be wise to drink it all day ed?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i also wanted to inquire about the mention of tea
this is talking about sugar laden ice tea or ust straight tea in general?i was aware that the tannins in tea might stain the teeth.but i thought green tea especially killed bad bacteria that caussed plaque?so is it acidic and damaging to teeth/enamel?
so it wouldnt be wise to drink it all day ed?
I think it was sweetened tea. I hope it was, I drink unsweetened tea by the gallon sometimes.