13 Reasons Why Lack of Sunshine Makes You Fat

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As the numbers of obese people widens to include one third of Americans, researchers continually search for the underlying causes.

Logic points to the direction of leading sedentary lifestyles of watching TV and playing video games as the contributing factors. Or making unhealthy nutritional choices such as choosing sugar-filled sodas over pure water. A more complex theory that is raising questions among the medical community is the possible correlation between obesity and vitamin D deficiency.

How much do you know about the relationship between vitamin D and obesity? Click on the below link and take this short quiz to find out. Whether you consider yourself thin or in need of losing some weight, making sure your body is getting enough vitamin D is essential for optimal health.

Cholecalciferol Council November, 2004

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

Dr. Cannell is back at it again. He has constructed another awesome quiz that will test your knowledge about vitamin D and obesity. His thirteen questions are based on recent studies on vitamin D association with obesity.

This is a must read test as it will really surprise you. It seems every day I am developing a greater appreciation of the importance of the need for regular sun exposure. It is important to understand that we get vitamin D deficient because we don't get enough sunshine on our skin, not because we did not take enough vitamin D orally.

Vitamin D was never designed to be swallowed in a pill or liquid as it has potential toxicity, while the toxicity of vitamin D from overexposure to the sun is very limited.

During the winter most of us don't have many practical choices however and the oral route is the only option left for us. So the safest way to maintain healthy vitamin D levels will be with a good quality cod liver oil as the vitamin A in cod liver oil will actually help one avoid vitamin D toxicity.

So the bottom line is make certain that you start switching over to cod liver oil very soon if you live in the US if you want to keep a normal body weight. However, as always, the best way to know when you need to switch would be to actually measure your vitamin D level.

However, as always, the best way to know when you need to switch ...

These recommendations sidestep two very important questions:

Why is the sun is far more beneficial than we are currently led to believe? How can we use the sun -- one of the most natural elements I know -- to its greatest advantage for our own optimal health?

Dr. Richard Hobday's new book, The Healing Sun, is an important tool to help us bring the benefits of sunlight into our lives safely. It is is a virtual treasure trove, full of useful and very difficult to find information on the benefits of sunlight that provides a substantial body of historical evidence that suggests moderate sunbathing is far more beneficial than we are currently led to believe.

Sunlight is every bit as central to our health and well-being as proper nutrition, clean water and exercise. I have extensively studied and written many pages about the benefits of vitamin D in my Total Health Program and here on this website. "The Healing Sun" is, without a doubt, the best book I've read this year and one of the most important health books I've read in my life.

So much so, that we are offering a special Combo Package that includes The Healing Sun, my Total Health Program and Paul Chek's How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy! at a savings of 30 percent off their regular price.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Does this mean that you should switch from Flax to cod liver oil in winter?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
BAC now has vitamin D-3 which is supposedly the active form of Vit D that is released by sunlight.

Anyone have any experience with this?