Shoulder pain

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Anybody get shoulder pain while doing flat barbell press? The pain I get is like on the inside of my shoulder. Any suggestions?

anabolicdudee

Awards
Hmmm,I'm not sure about that but why not try another flat press exercise and see if the pain is still occuring or not? like db flat press and/or machines.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Used to get shoulder pain before I learned how to bench properly. Now I haven't had any problems. Also make sure to keep your upper back/rear delts up to par with your chest or else you'll definitely have problems.

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
Using dumbbells could also help ease the pain of it continues.

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
I've tried flat db press and I still get the pain in my one shoulder. But doing incline and decline or even flys doesn't bother it Really weird

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Ive tried flat db press and I still get the pain in my one shoulder But doin incline or decline and even flat flys doesn't bother it jus flat press Also I was wondering if I needed to work on upper back and deltoid dev. As a priority Before I try doin more weight with chest

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Sorry for the double message. Thought i cancelled first one phone was actin up

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Ya I get pain on the flat aswell so I said "FUUAAARRRCKK IT!!" I can do inclines without pain and they seem to hit the muscle just as well. I probably won't do flat bench for a long time. Feels like my cuffs doesnt want to perform when flat. But it is what it is, There's a few exercises I just never do because it isn't compatible with how my joints and cuffs want to move. I just find some other exercise to hit the group.

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Yea it feels like a pin goin into my cuff when I press up from flat. There's a lot of things I cant do cuz my shoulders feel like there goina pop right out

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Warm up rotator cuff exercises before working out. Stop pressing movements for two weeks and just do back/rear delts and legs for those two weeks and see how it is from there. Face pulls, rear delt flies, bent over rows. I would do the bent over rows more upright so you can focus on your upper back.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Yea it feels like a pin goin into my cuff when I press up from flat. There's a lot of things I cant do cuz my shoulders feel like there goina pop right out
I have the same problem. Happens with dips on occasion but mostly flats, bar or bell, doesn't matter still hurts, also shoulder press is pretty painful. I noticed it becoming worse when i dont have enough incline on my shoulder press, gotta have your slight incline or i SNAP my sheet up. But I just avoid them, I'm still gaining strength and mass in my shoulders. Just comes along with other excercises. Keep training man and good luck.

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Thanks bro I'll keep all that in mind. Train hard my friend

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use this as a warm-up for the shoulders:

and then watch this 10x/day everyday until you can recall every second of it:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Try doing internal/external shoulder rotation exercises (google variations) to strengthen your rotator cuffs etc. Shoulder pain won't just disapear, so its best to get it sorted as soon as you can.

Proper bench press technique, dipping techniques etc. will help ease the stress off the shoulders but may not solve the problem. Depending on what the cause is.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Try doing internal/external shoulder rotation exercises (google variations) to strengthen your rotator cuffs etc.

Tried these awhile back and it made it way worst! I'd incorporate them in my warm up and I couldn't ever finish my sets without almost severing my shoulder. Some people have bad joints in shoulder, some ankles, some knees, some elbows. !!You cant fix everything, and people in this forum that are giving advice need to realize that!!. some things you have to learn to deal with and work the exercise that don't cause you pain. Everyone's body is built differently.. Maybe your not built to isolate shoulders.. Those movement might not ever be possible. But like YOU said, "train hard my friend".

P.s. sorry about the rant, test booster is starting to kick!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tried these awhile back and it made it way worst! I'd incorporate them in my warm up and I couldn't ever finish my sets without almost severing my shoulder. Some people have bad joints in shoulder, some ankles, some knees, some elbows. !!You cant fix everything, and people in this forum that are giving advice need to realize that!!. some things you have to learn to deal with and work the exercise that don't cause you pain. Everyone's body is built differently.. Maybe your not built to isolate shoulders.. Those movement might not ever be possible. But like YOU said, "train hard my friend".

P.s. sorry about the rant, test booster is starting to kick!
Most don't know how to do them properly in terms of technique, weight, and reps. You're essentially arguing against pre/rehabbing injuries and imbalances.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
Most don't know how to do them properly in terms of technique, weight, and reps. You're essentially arguing against pre/rehabbing injuries and imbalances.
No, I DID NOT say it doesn't work. I said it made MINE worst. I'd never disregard rehab, its the building blocks of muscle construction, I'm just saying this in particular made my injury worst . I don't want to argue, I'm just giving my opinion. Call it Broscience if it makes anyone feel better:p and don't take my advice if you don't want to, it's ONLY advice like yours, go ahead an 'low weight' and rotate that shoulder till it falls out haha.. "You can do whatever the FUUAAARRRK you wanna do.."

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, I DID NOT say it doesn't work. I said it made MINE worst. I'd never disregard rehab, its the building blocks of muscle construction, I'm just saying this in particular made my injury worst . I don't want to argue, I'm just giving my opinion. Call it Broscience if it makes anyone feel better:p and don't take my advice if you don't want to, it's ONLY advice like yours, go ahead an 'low weight' and rotate that shoulder till it falls out haha.. "You can do whatever the FUUAAARRRK you wanna do.."
That's funny because I've actually rehabbed my shoulders using the techniques like the ones in the video I posted. The difference between my advice and yours is education in that I actually know what I'm talking about on this topic.

GoGetSwole

GoGetSwole

Awards
That's funny because I've actually rehabbed my shoulders using the techniques like the ones in the video I posted. The difference between my advice and yours is education in that I actually know what I'm talking about on this topic.
Ha. U mad? Like I said before, advice.

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Ha. U mad? Like I said before, advice.
Solid advice when it comes to lifting shouldn't revolve around "avoiding the pain." When you're in pain it's your bodies way of saying that something is messed up. I'm pretty sure ignoring what your body is telling you isn't leading you onto the path of well being. It might not bother you now but you'll feel otherwise in 10-20 years from now.

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Goina b doin sum shoulders tomorrow I'm goina use all the tips I got from u guys and c what happens. Tore my back up today with no probs

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
As have I. When I first started out, I developed poor bench technique that placed considerable stress on my shoulders and lead to severe pain that lasted weeks. It wasnt until I learnt proper benching technique that the pain started fading away.

Problem was though, that I had a developed chest but very underdeveloped shoulders because i was worried that hitting them while in pain would do more harm than good. I spent >6months only doing light shoulder work to build up the strength and help even out any imbalances (doing internal/external rotation work), now I have no pain in my shoulder. It took time to heal and I essentially had to stop training heavy because I didnt want my shoulders to lag even further behind but it was worth it in the end.

Also, im assuming by the OPs initial comment that the pain is muscle based and not joint based. If it is joint based, then perhaps the best advice is to go to the physio (luckily for us in NZ, rehab work is essentially free so I go every 6 months just for a checkup). If its muscle based, then the root cause could just be muscualr imbalances or poor technique. Either way, the pain isnt to be ignored.

STEGODYT

Awards
You sound like me when I first started training.
Fortunately for me I'm in the end phase of recovery but I'd recommend the steps I took.

Sounds like you've over worked your front delt, causing that rotation and muscle imbalance.
I'd work more rhomboids, rear delt and trapz to get that posture corrected.

Secondly I'd be inclined to say you've workout out your delts and had muscle hypertrophy without giving much attention to the smaller stability muscles such as super spinatus / cuff.

I'd incorporate the stability work into your workout right now and stretch often, you need that ROM. Keep bench and heavy weight at the rest and use cables for maintaining but for now that's your priority before it turns into a real nasty one.

Hope this helps buddy...
I'm a gym instructor not a physio btw

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
Jus got done doin shoulder and bi's Shoulders felt solid. Kind of a stupid question but what is the best rear deltoid work out? I am so thankful of all the advice that you guys have givin me I am relatively new to hittin the weights so all the tips I can get I greatly appreciate it!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jus got done doin shoulder and bi's Shoulders felt solid. Kind of a stupid question but what is the best rear deltoid work out? I am so thankful of all the advice that you guys have givin me I am relatively new to hittin the weights so all the tips I can get I greatly appreciate it!
Facepulls, rear flys, TYWs

ALPH0NSE

ALPH0NSE

Awards
Interesting thread.. I have minor pain when I'm flat/incline benching and when I'm doing shoulder presses with dumbbells or on the Smith Machine I have a weird shooting pain in my right front deltoid especially when I'm doing heavy weight.. Rear Deltoid workouts were not a problem that day.. But the thing is I never had a problem before that day, it just happened out of nowhere.. When i rotate my shoulders to warm up now i feel a minor cracking noise in my right shoulder.. What do u guys think? Should i rest it and do not bench or shoulder press and what are other things that will make it heal faster?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting thread.. I have minor pain when I'm flat/incline benching and when I'm doing shoulder presses with dumbbells or on the Smith Machine I have a weird shooting pain in my right front deltoid especially when I'm doing heavy weight.. Rear Deltoid workouts were not a problem that day.. But the thing is I never had a problem before that day, it just happened out of nowhere.. When i rotate my shoulders to warm up now i feel a minor cracking noise in my right shoulder.. What do u guys think? Should i rest it and do not bench or shoulder press and what are other things that will make it heal faster?
Sounds similar to biceps tendon impingement.

ALPH0NSE

ALPH0NSE

Awards
So it is not the rotator cuff? And what should I do to make it heal?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So it is not the rotator cuff? And what should I do to make it heal?
It could have some subscapularis impingement as well, but it doesn't sound like a strain. Icing the area along with some NSAIDs is the acute treatment. Fixing your imbalance is whole other issues, though.

ALPH0NSE

ALPH0NSE

Awards
U mean I can use Motrin as an NSAID? I'll ice it, but what about rest bro?

ALPH0NSE

ALPH0NSE

Awards
Gotcha.. But the pain is been there for 9 days now.. So what's the best thing to do to get back killing it at the gym?

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
That's how it started with me. I went to do my first set of flat barbell press and wham shooting pain on the inside of my left shoulder. Not so much the muscle it feels deeper than that but since that happened like a month ago it comes and goes. Still not 100% with chest so I'm not doin flat barbell cuz thats when I get the most pressure

loadcoil

loadcoil

Awards
I had the same trouble. I stuck to declines only for about three months and put more work on shoulders . Good to go now

pstiles

Awards
The pain could be coming from small tears or a larger tear in your labrum inside your shoulder. My buddy tore his a year ago and had to hve surgery. I also have some small tears in my left labrum but never got surgery. I found that warming up my rotator cuffs before workouts and even trying to strengthen them made the pain from my labrum fade away. If you strengthen your rotator cuffs you don't have to rely on your labrum as much. Hope that helps... Btw use VERY LIGHT WEIGHT when warming up or strengthening rotator cuffs. Also make sure you are not going lower than parallel with your flat bench press. (bar shouldn't be touching chest)

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
I know u shouldn't bounce the bar off ur chest but u shouldn't touch it to ur chest at all? Not even under complete control?

hardgainerbwg

hardgainerbwg

Awards
And how about with dumbells How low would u drop with them?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The pain could be coming from small tears or a larger tear in your labrum inside your shoulder. My buddy tore his a year ago and had to hve surgery. I also have some small tears in my left labrum but never got surgery. I found that warming up my rotator cuffs before workouts and even trying to strengthen them made the pain from my labrum fade away. If you strengthen your rotator cuffs you don't have to rely on your labrum as much. Hope that helps... Btw use VERY LIGHT WEIGHT when warming up or strengthening rotator cuffs. Also make sure you are not going lower than parallel with your flat bench press. (bar shouldn't be touching chest)
Sounds like you don't know how to bench.

I know u shouldn't bounce the bar off ur chest but u shouldn't touch it to ur chest at all? Not even under complete control?
Touch your chest.

Colbicide

Colbicide

Awards
  • Established
Use this as a warm-up for the shoulders:

and then watch this 10x/day everyday until you can recall every second of it:
Rodja - thanks for posting the vids. Been using the warm-ups the past two days and I am surprised how quickly my shoulders have responded and allowed me to lift heavy this week.

ALPH0NSE

ALPH0NSE

Awards
Anybody had tendinitis in the area between the front delt and the upper bicep? It's been 3 weeks for me outta the gym and there's still minor pain if I try to do Shoulder Presses or Chest flat/incline bench on the Smith Machine...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anybody had tendinitis in the area between the front delt and the upper bicep? It's been 3 weeks for me outta the gym and there's still minor pain if I try to do Shoulder Presses or Chest flat/incline bench on the Smith Machine...
Do the shoulder warm-up vid that I posted and stop using the Smith machine.