Shoulder pain

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54%

That's how it started with me. I went to do my first set of flat barbell press and wham shooting pain on the inside of my left shoulder. Not so much the muscle it feels deeper than that but since that happened like a month ago it comes and goes. Still not 100% with chest so I'm not doin flat barbell cuz thats when I get the most pressure

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.79%

I had the same trouble. I stuck to declines only for about three months and put more work on shoulders . Good to go now
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76%

The pain could be coming from small tears or a larger tear in your labrum inside your shoulder. My buddy tore his a year ago and had to hve surgery. I also have some small tears in my left labrum but never got surgery. I found that warming up my rotator cuffs before workouts and even trying to strengthen them made the pain from my labrum fade away. If you strengthen your rotator cuffs you don't have to rely on your labrum as much. Hope that helps... Btw use VERY LIGHT WEIGHT when warming up or strengthening rotator cuffs. Also make sure you are not going lower than parallel with your flat bench press. (bar shouldn't be touching chest)
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54%

I know u shouldn't bounce the bar off ur chest but u shouldn't touch it to ur chest at all? Not even under complete control?
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54%

And how about with dumbells How low would u drop with them?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by pstiles View Post
    The pain could be coming from small tears or a larger tear in your labrum inside your shoulder. My buddy tore his a year ago and had to hve surgery. I also have some small tears in my left labrum but never got surgery. I found that warming up my rotator cuffs before workouts and even trying to strengthen them made the pain from my labrum fade away. If you strengthen your rotator cuffs you don't have to rely on your labrum as much. Hope that helps... Btw use VERY LIGHT WEIGHT when warming up or strengthening rotator cuffs. Also make sure you are not going lower than parallel with your flat bench press. (bar shouldn't be touching chest)
    Sounds like you don't know how to bench.

Quote Originally Posted by hardgainerbwg View Post
    I know u shouldn't bounce the bar off ur chest but u shouldn't touch it to ur chest at all? Not even under complete control?
    Touch your chest.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54%

I thought so bro.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  319 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.94%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Use this as a warm-up for the shoulders:

and then watch this 10x/day everyday until you can recall every second of it:
    Rodja - thanks for posting the vids. Been using the warm-ups the past two days and I am surprised how quickly my shoulders have responded and allowed me to lift heavy this week.
    “Beastmode is when you can not possibly go any further, but then you make a conscious choice to move forward”.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.64%

Anybody had tendinitis in the area between the front delt and the upper bicep? It's been 3 weeks for me outta the gym and there's still minor pain if I try to do Shoulder Presses or Chest flat/incline bench on the Smith Machine...
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.93%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ALPH0NSE View Post
    Anybody had tendinitis in the area between the front delt and the upper bicep? It's been 3 weeks for me outta the gym and there's still minor pain if I try to do Shoulder Presses or Chest flat/incline bench on the Smith Machine...
    Do the shoulder warm-up vid that I posted and stop using the Smith machine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.33%

I used to get shoulder pain and pain in my shoulder blades. Sometimes I would get tension headaches from the spasms in my shoulder blades. The best medicine for me is to PUSH against a wall or the floor as hard as possible. I figured this out when I decided to take a yoga class for my first time and we did a downward dog pose. I have to push really hard to make the tension in my shoulders and shoulder blades go away.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.62%

Great thread... Been suffering with the "internal" shoulder pains since I pretty much gave up contact sports, been massively aggravated since I started lifting.... Certainly will be trying the warm ups and repair reps...... Spot on fellas, fingers crossed.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.02%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Sounds like the same thing I experienced when I tore my labrum. Get it checked out by a doc. You said it hasn't gotten better over a month?

Don't flare your elbows out when benching keep them against your body. Learning proper bench after my PT from my labrum tare has been one of the smartest things I've done.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26%

I think you might have the same problem I did. I had that same pain every time I went to bench and it only got worse. I kept lifting heavy on it and the worse and worse it got. I went to the doctors and I had super bad tendinitis and bursitis. It only gets worse from there and u can mess up ur rotator cuff if u keep pushing it. The best thing the doc told me was to give it time and don't lift more than 10lbs on it

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pullups and Shoulder Pain
    By oldfart in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 10:18 AM
  2. shoulder pain after 6months??
    By Warhead_321 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 02:56 PM
  3. Shoulder pain
    By hypo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7