Trying to add more muscle mass

CryptoClean

Awards
Hi, I'm new to posting here even though I've been through these forums multiple times and I'm looking to add another 5-7 pounds of muscle over the course of the next 2 - 3 months. I'm most interested in getting a larger chest since I have yet to actually work in that department. I've got a good diet and exercise routine and I'm already using protein and cycling mono creatine on and off 4 weeks each. What I'm trying to ask is whether or not there are anymore supplements that are healthy for my age (19) that will give an extra boost, or any foods that are particularly beneficial to adding weight.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I personally would stay on creatine for longer than 4 wks before cycling off. i usually stay on for 3-4 months followed by a month off. As far as foods, i would make sure your not training on an empty stomach and eat every 3 hrs or so. Veggies, lean meats, fruits, nuts and fish are what you want. adequate carbohydrates and calorie intake with every meal is important. Just keep your eating clean and you should be good to go. also stay well hydrated...drinks lots of water and stay away from sugar as much as possible with the exception of fruit. Dont over think it, just do what you think is right and you should be good! Best of luck!

CryptoClean

Awards
thanks for the feed-back, I'll change my creatine cycles and aim for more fish.

bsypher

Awards
I started at 175 and am sitting at a bit under 200 now. But make no mistake, if you find out your nutrition needs a day ( maintenance calories, protein, carbs etc) and ensure that you are slightly above every day, you should have no problem gaining mass. Personally, if you are a naturally thin guy like myself, I would add a ton of whole milk. Do research on the GOMAD diet and track your calories at fat secret or fit day.
Also, focus on the proper lifts for MASS to grow your muscle groups in question. I am no expert but I can answer any questions based on my experience. Good luck!

ChrisSurf

Awards
I started at 175 and am sitting at a bit under 200 now. But make no mistake, if you find out your nutrition needs a day ( maintenance calories, protein, carbs etc) and ensure that you are slightly above every day, you should have no problem gaining mass. Personally, if you are a naturally thin guy like myself, I would add a ton of whole milk. Do research on the GOMAD diet and track your calories at fat secret or fit day.
Also, focus on the proper lifts for MASS to grow your muscle groups in question. I am no expert but I can answer any questions based on my experience. Good luck!
I've actually started reading about that (GOMAD), but my thinking is even when working on this would seem to give you quite a belly wouldn't it? A gallon a day is a lot.

KBD

KBD

Awards
  • Established
Hi, I'm new to posting here even though I've been through these forums multiple times and I'm looking to add another 5-7 pounds of muscle over the course of the next 2 - 3 months. I'm most interested in getting a larger chest since I have yet to actually work in that department. I've got a good diet and exercise routine and I'm already using protein and cycling mono creatine on and off 4 weeks each. What I'm trying to ask is whether or not there are anymore supplements that are healthy for my age (19) that will give an extra boost, or any foods that are particularly beneficial to adding weight.
More Food.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would relook at your diet, since most people that say they have a "good diet" have FAR from a good diet. To gain, you need to EAT ENOUGH, period!

Protein and creatine do NOT need to be cycled - and by cycling creatine on and off for four weeks each, you're pretty much just building your creatine muscle threshold levels up and then letting them get down to baseline and start the process all over again, defeating the purpose of using it.

You're 19 - you do NOT need anything but the basic staples: Creatine, multivitmain, good fats, protein, and BCAAs.

Re food, eat MORE of it!

Review the following threads - they are of a similar nature to your query:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/161681-good-routine-gain.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/159684-cant-gain-weight.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/161610-need-help-building.html
There's several article links in those threads - read them as well!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would relook at your diet, since most people that say they have a "good diet" have FAR from a good diet. To gain, you need to EAT ENOUGH, period!

Protein and creatine do NOT need to be cycled - and by cycling creatine on and off for four weeks each, you're pretty much just building your creatine muscle threshold levels up and then letting them get down to baseline and start the process all over again, defeating the purpose of using it.

You're 19 - you do NOT need anything but the basic staples: Creatine, multivitmain, good fats, protein, and BCAAs.

Re food, eat MORE of it!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Whoa!! I say I have a good diet... And I do :D

Eat eat eat!! My nickname at work Is lunchbox

KTT

Awards
Eat, drink milk, eat, drink milk, eat, drink milk.......

Chico222

Awards
Forget more supplements. Make your own bulking shakes and drink 2 a day. That way you can control the macros and tailor them to your needs, its cheaper too. If you got a lagging bodypart try doing fst-7 on it. Ive been doing that for my lats and so far Im getting good results. I mentioned fst-7 for your chest.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I've actually started reading about that (GOMAD), but my thinking is even when working on this would seem to give you quite a belly wouldn't it? A gallon a day is a lot.
For any bulking program you are going to gain some fat, or maybe the appearance of a belly if you are naturally thin. Ideally you want to get about 10 lbs heavier then your ideal weight then cut down to that weight. You need to make sure you aren't putting on strickly fat though. You should try the GOMAD diet, but start at a half gallon, and work your way up. At the least its a good way to learn how your body reacts.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
The guys are right. USP Labe Modern BCAAs is a great product. Take it with your pre workout, during or after. I have been eating a 1000 calorie meal high in fiber as my last meal lately. I have recently gained about 5 pounds. Good Luck, and remember to eat some serious food. ZMA at night too, and if you wake up eat something during the night.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
I actually use amino acids from a Christian company called Genesis Nutrition. They're 1900 MG tablets so they're pretty huge, but I feel like they make a big difference. I take five right when I wake up and five before I go to bed. I notice after being on them for a couple weeks that my muscles are a little fuller in the morning thanks to them being in my system. I also drink a glass of milk and get a scoop of peanut butter in me before I go to sleep most of the time to put some more calories in me at night. I also am taking powerfull right now though so I gotta do it an hour before I actually close my eyes so I can get my pills in. That company is pretty cheap. Not as cheap as they used to be, but still fairly cheap. $60 will get you about 975 tablets, so it'll last you over three months if you take ten a day like me. Each bottle is 325 tablets for like $30 but they always have buy 2 get 1 free. Like $.62/day. Can't beat it considering it's like 19 grams of amino acids daily.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that is a good deal. I will have to look them up.

calidood

calidood

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that is a good deal. I will have to look them up.
Yeah they're pretty good. I know we're not supposed to source post for steroids and SERM etc, don't know if it's the same with regular supplements. But they have their own website. That's how you can get the 2 for 1. I don't think you can get it any cheaper on any other websites.

Xtreme6918

Awards

Re food, eat MORE of it!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Thumbs up! Food gets you where you want!:veryhappy:

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I am starving as I read this rightnow. Yes, eat and keep eating. I WISH I was 19 again.
I would be in a different place. Eat, whole eggs, lean meats, dairy like greek yogurt, and good grains, and almonds or other healthy nuts like cashews, walnuts. I am lucky to be overseas rightnow where good fruits like MANGOSTEEN are dirt cheap. I got to eat Thai food for dirt cheap, and I loved it. Ooh time to eat.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Yes, simple, add a meal or add to your existing meals. Add a gainer liquid meal. Have a shake and some almonds, and or peanut butter. EAT, and eat more. Just dont eat junk.
You could eat 25-30 gm whey, 8 oz cottage cheese, a handful of almonds raw, and an apple as your meal before bed, or anytime.

MindSweap

Awards
Increase your metabolism , you will take more food and that is how you can increase your mass.

Firmanator

Firmanator

Awards
10 lbs in a couple months will most likely not be all lean mass unless you're just beginning. Also, I agree that 5000 cals a day will probably make you gain a lot of fat. I would just keep adding nutritious calories until steady slow weight/strength gain occurs.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I agree as well. Good call.
Keep your supplement intake up. Multi vitamin, fish oil, aminos etc.

BOOMBOOMBOOM

Awards
Danish research has found it that in tests with fish oil and sugar that only 10% of the beneficial oils were consumed, whereas the rest was consumed as fat. You can avoid this by not eating fish oil together with a big meal, and even better before you go to bed, then you'll be able to consume 90% of the beneficial oils.

Same research also concludes that proteins are the best thing to eat (or drink) together with fish oil. The study was done by Copenhagen University together with Bergen and Beijing and done on mice.

I have just corrected the places where google translate doesnt translate it very well, or even at all. There might be some funny translations though.

Sugar blocks the healthy effects of fish oil

By: Kristian Sjøgren , Journalism, Environment & molecular biologist

Omega 3-fatty acids found in fish oil, are healthy and help reduce obesity. New research shows that sugar in the diet inhibits the effect of Omega 3.

If you start your morning with a fish oil pill, which you wash down with a glass of juice before you eat a sandwich with jam, then you are probably not as healthy as you think you are.

Health effects of fish oil omega 3-fatty acids are severely reduced by the sugar in juice, according to new research from nationally Institute of Nutrition and sjømatforskning (NIFES) in Norway. The research has been provided on the basis of a collaboration between NIFES, University of Copenhagen, University of Bergen and Beijing Genomics Institute.

Fish oil is like butter if you have sugar in the diet
"There is incredible literature that says that fish oil to some extent may counteract the development of obesity," says senior scientist Lise Madsen from NIFES, which also is an associate professor at Copenhagen University. But the new research turns that idea upside down. Reality is far more complicated and if you eat your fish oil wrong, you end up just taking on (fat) instead.

Experiments on mice show that the sugar blocks fish oil's ability to reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood. According to Lise Madsen, who is behind the study, fish oil behaves totally ineffective as fish oil, when you have sugar in the diet. "you might as well eat a spoonful of butter instead of fish oil if you have too much sugar in your food. If you combine your fish oil with sugar, you end up actually gaining weight instead of lose it, "she explains.

Attempts made obese mice

The experiments revealed that the combination of fish oil and sugar made mice significantly fatter than if they just got fish oils and proteins. Actually, experiments showed that the more protein there was in the diet, the greater was the effect of the fish oil.

"Earlier studies in mice and rats show that fish oils stops the development of obesity. Our results show that the effect will be nullified if there is sugar in the diet. It is the simultaneous intake of fish oils and carbohydrates, which is unfortunate, "explains Lise Madsen.

In the experiments mice received different amounts of sugar and proteins, but the calorie amount and oil volume was always the same.
(deleted unimportant section)

Beware of blood sugar when you eat fish oil

Insulin plays a central role in the storage of energy in the body. Maturation takes place mainly as fat. When blood sugar is high, insulin is secreted from the pancreas.

According to Lise Madsen you should think about when you eat your fish oil, and what you've eaten before.

"If the revelations are the same on humans as they are on mice, you should wait the time it takes until your blood sugar is stabilize before you eat fish oil. I imagine that most eat fish oil in the morning, but really we should probably prefer to eat the evening(haha!). Then you can be sure you dont gain in weight because of the fish oil, "says Lise Madsen.

The results will be published soon in the Distinguished journal PLoS ONE

HerniatedLift

Awards
Yes, simple, add a meal or add to your existing meals. Add a gainer liquid meal. Have a shake and some almonds, and or peanut butter. EAT, and eat more. Just dont eat junk.
You could eat 25-30 gm whey, 8 oz cottage cheese, a handful of almonds raw, and an apple as your meal before bed, or anytime.
This helps so much, the gainer shakes ahh i love those times especially with PB :)

Greg Grunberg

Awards
Hey there,

To body building mass do 8-10 rep heavy for2-3 set with proper form and not using your back, but arms. Doing low reps like six and below is if you want to build your strength, but wouldn't build you mass; you could do that once in a while. Bodybuilders go about 10-12 reps heavy.

Thanks and Regards
Greg Grunberg

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Hey there,To body building mass do 8-10 rep heavy for2-3 set with proper form and not using your back, but arms. Doing low reps like six and below is if you want to build your strength, but wouldn't build you mass; you could do that once in a while. Bodybuilders go about 10-12 reps heavy. Thanks and RegardsGreg Grunberg
I agree, but I also do a set or two of heavy weight low reps, like 3 to 6 at the end of an exercise to fatigue the muscle. it also might be a drop set as well.