MMA & Drug testing

texxlnghorn

Awards
MMA NOTEBOOK: Two promotions in no hurry for drug testing | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Two top U.S. mixed martial arts organizations have no plans to implement random drug testing.

Neither Elite Xtreme Combat nor the Ultimate Fighting Championship believes drug testing sanctioned by mixed martial arts organizations is the remedy to what appears to be increased use of illegal drugs in the sport.

In one state, nearly 20 mixed martial artists have been suspended and fined this year after flunking drug tests. Since March, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) nabbed 30 violators of its anti-doping policy governing combat sports, including 19 mixed martial artists.

"I do not believe in testing our own athletes," said Gary Shaw, promoter of EliteXC. "So far, those commissions (California, New Jersey, Nevada) have very, very strict plans. They all use steroid and other drug and urine tests. We just have to keep telling our athletes that there's zero tolerance."

At this time, EliteXC does not penalize its fighters beyond the suspension and fine levied by the athletic commissions.

UFC president Dana White also says drug testing should be left strictly in the hands of the commissions. But he told ESPN The Magazine late last month that he plans to withhold bonus money paid after fights until fighters pass their drug tests. If a fighter fails, he will not receive the extra check, which in many cases can be substantially more than a fighter's base pay for a bout.

Meanwhile, the CSAC today will decide the immediate futures of three mixed martial artists.

UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, Hermes Franca and Phil Baroni will have an opportunity to explain to the commission why they failed drug tests following recent fights. Sherk has been the most unwavering about his innocence.

"I cannot explain the positive drug test in Sacramento, Calif.," Sherk said in a statement. "I know that I have never used any steroids or other banned substances, and I am investigating possible causes of the positive test with my attorney. I have never cheated."

The 33-year-old ultimate fighter from Oak Grove, Minn., has hired Los Angeles lawyer Howard Jacobs to represent him in the matter. Jacobs is no stranger to athletes and allegations of drug use. He has represented the likes of cyclists Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton and former track and field star Marion Jones.

Baroni, who tested positive after his Strikeforce fight with Frank Shamrock in June, also claims he did not use a banned substance.

Franca has apologized to fans over his positive steroid test and admitted to making
a decision he regrets prior to his fight against Sherk at UFC 73.

All three fighters have been suspended for a year, retroactive to their fight dates, and fined $2,500. Today's hearing will determine if those penalties will stick or if sufficient evidence exists to overturn the commission's ruling.

TUF returns
Season six of The Ultimate Fighter premieres next month on Spike TV.

The popular reality show, which pits aspiring mixed martial artists against one another during a six-week tournament, has been critical to the success of the UFC. Several fighters from the series, including Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans and Michael Bisping, have become regulars on the UFC circuit.

This season features 16 welterweights training under coaches Matt Serra and Matt Hughes. The two finalists will fight for a UFC contract in the season finale in December.

The series will move from its traditional Thursday night time slot to Wednesdays at 9 p.m. The first episode will air after Ultimate Fight Night 11 on Sept. 19.