UFC 68 Picks Contest!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. -Tim Sylvia (c) vs. Randy Couture (UFC HW Title) - Sylia via KO Rd.3 at 4:30
    -Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle - Hughes via TKO
    -Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald - Franklin via highlight reel KO in Rd. 1
    -Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Jason Lambert - Babalu via Sub
    -Matt Hamill vs. Rex Holman - Holman via boring a$$ decision
    -Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti - Fitch via Dec.
    -Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries - McFedries via KO
    -Jamie Varner vs. Jason Gilliam - Varner via Sub
    -Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent - Tibau via Sub

I have to echo the sentiment of those who don't want to see Couture vs. Crocop. As much as I don't like big Timmy, I think he will go for the KO after Randy's comments.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 03-03-2007 at 05:48 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by size View Post
    -Tim Sylvia (c) vs. Randy Couture (UFC HW Title) - Couture via KO Rd.5 at 1:30
    -Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle - Hughes via KO
    -Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald - MacDonald via Sub
    -Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Jason Lambert - Babalu via Sub
    -Matt Hamill vs. Rex Holman - Hamill via KO
    -Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti - Luigi via KO
    -Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries - Kampmann via KO
    -Jamie Varner vs. Jason Gilliam - Gilliam via Decision
    -Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent - Tibau via Sub

I just can't bring myself to ever predicting a Sylvia victory.
    A quote from Franklin about the fight, "I will knock Jason out in the first round."
    Size, I'm surprised by a few of your picks. MacDonald looked impressive as hell vs. Herman, but it was Herman. He looked pretty sloppy vs. Leben on the feet, and as I recall, his takedowns were poor and telegraphed. That sh1t won't fly with a Franklin who is out for redemption. I think Mac will get Quarried.

Also, Kampman looked pretty impressive with strikes vs. Leites, but he definitely lacked power. Leites was gassed and stationary, and Kampman kept hitting him, but obviously lacked the KO power. Maybe he was gassed too, but McFedries was in a war with Sakara, and he took a pounding and responded with bombs.

Regardless, should be interesting.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    I can believe that Franklin believes this, I do to, after watching Mcdonald's standup versus Leben, he is not in Franklin's class on his feet.
    I had to do something different b/c for the last two events my picking has been poor. So I decided to change my method.

I agree with you 100%, Franklin is a much better striker than MacDonald. There is no question about it. However, there is a little logic I am applying here for this fight. One, after such a bad beating Franklin took from Silva, I wonder how Franklin will bounce back. Second, Franklin is usually the bigger and longer fighter in his fights. MacDonald is taller and longer so I wondering if he can stay just outside of Franklin's range on the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Also, Kampman looked pretty impressive with strikes vs. Leites, but he definitely lacked power. Leites was gassed and stationary, and Kampman kept hitting him, but obviously lacked the KO power. Maybe he was gassed too, but McFedries was in a war with Sakara, and he took a pounding and responded with bombs.
    Regardless, should be interesting.
    I think Kampman will really win via TKO and not a KO but for this contest KO=TKO. Also, I think McFedries usually fights at 205 so I wonder if the weight drop will have a positive or negative impact.

4. Your logic makes sense.

5. Sylvia-KO Rd2 3:00
    Hughes-KO
    Franklin-KO
    Sobral-Sub
    Hamill-Dec
    Mcfedries-KO
    Fitch-KO
    Varner-Sub
    Tibau-Sub
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    -Tim Sylvia (c) vs. Randy Couture (UFC HW Title)
    -Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle
    -Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald
    -Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Jason Lambert
    -Matt Hamill vs. Rex Holman
    -Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti
    -Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries
    -Jamie Varner vs. Jason Gilliam
    -Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent
    Sylvia: KO rd2 2:32
    Hughes: sub
    MacDonald:KO
    Babalo: sub
    Hamill: sub
    Luigi: KO, can't against a guiny
    Mcfedries-KO
    Varner: sub
    Tibau: ko

heading out to watch in a few

7. Rogue, you trying to tie me or what. We've got the same time, we have 86.4 seconds to settle this.

8. Tie goes to the non-decrepid guy. Sorry, I just can't seem to help myself.

9. In the event of all tie-breakers, the member who has not taken to rice pudding and Matlock should win. In such a case, RD is automatically precluded because he's so old

10. Where the **** are my Grampers, Mullet? If I **** my pants again tonight, I'm running you over in my Hoverround.

No more Paprika on my Applesauce, that's just mean.

11. At least you have a stealth cover RD. When you come to spinning heel-kick me, all I will see is a head with pants. I'll think I am hallucinating and be utterly susceptible to attack..

12. A possible scenario I was thinking about for Sylvia vs Couture:
    Sylvia continues to do his usual straight line back stepping. Couture goes for a shoot and Syliva back steps and trips over his own feet. His head hits the mat and he knocks himself out. Couture wins, I guess
    Thoughts?

13. Talk about stealth, Size is always operating undercover.

Thoughts? sylvia is a Dufus, that could happen, he could do a Shamrock like versus Franklin trip that Couture would pounce on.

14. I think MacDonald has the highest chance for upset.

15. Really? The only way that Mac can beat Ace is if Ace is still timid from his Silva KO, otherwise he's far far better on his feet and far more the athlete, contrary to Jason's nickname.

McDonald is getting cred for beating Hermann and Leben well, why? those two are "B" (leben) and "C" (Short Fuse) class among UFC fighters.

Watch, I'll be wrong, MacDonald subs Franklin quick, it happens.

16. I think Lytle may have a shot against Hughes. If you look at Lytle's record, almost all of his losses have been via decision. So obviously the guy can stay in fights and with the ability to stay in fights comes the ability/possibility to win fights.

17. You are right, he has great all around skills and I think he knows that Hughes is going back to his bread and butter of shoot and GNP, he'll be prepared for it.

He can beat Hughes standing up, Matt is weak on his feet.

18. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Really? The only way that Mac can beat Ace is if Ace is still timid from his Silva KO, otherwise he's far far better on his feet and far more the athlete, contrary to Jason's nickname.

McDonald is getting cred for beating Hermann and Leben well, why? those two are "B" (leben) and "C" (Short Fuse) class among UFC fighters.

Watch, I'll be wrong, MacDonald subs Franklin quick, it happens.
    Let me explain my reasoning. I think that Couture has a far better chance of beating Sylvia than does Macdonald over Franklin from the onset. So, Couture is not really an upset in my eyes, it is a decently probable situation. All the other fights, in my eyes at least, could be stated as an 'easy pick'. Out of those, I think MacDonald has the greatest chance.

Also, I think Ace is going to have a Loiseau-esque (in keeping with people he has beaten) come back. As opposed to immediately engaging an opponent who is weak in his trademarks, I think he may be slightly timid and fall into MacDonald's greater traits. Now, obviously, Louiseau fought Swick first fight back who was a competent striker, and may not have engaged him for that reason. Even still, I think Mac has the greatest chance.

I still picked Ace though.

19. I won't argue your with your reasoning, Vis a vis Franklin_Macdonald, I agree, and I believe that Franklin has something to prove to himself and his home state fans, he'll take it to Mac very hard and fast, it will end early and possibly ugly.

Couture besting Sylvia is not an upset, as you say, it's a decent probabilty bet, one reflected by the odds.

20. **Spoiler alert**
    Results posted below so if you haven't seen it don't continue to read.

1 Jamie Varner defeats Jason Gilliam Submission (Rear Naked Choke) 1 1:34
    2 Gleison Tibau defeats Jason Dent Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
    3 Jon Fitch defeats Luigi Fioravanti Submission (Rear Naked Choke) 2 3:05
    4 Matt Hamill defeats Rex Holman TKO (Strikes) 1 4:00
    5 Jason Lambert defeats Renato Sobral KO (Punch) 2 3:26
    6 Matt Hughes defeats Chris Lytle Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
    7 Rich Franklin defeats Jason MacDonald TKO (Corner Stoppage) 2 5:00
    8 Martin Kampmann defeats Andrew McFedries Submision (Arm-triangle choke) 1 4:06
    9 Randy Couture defeats Tim Sylvia Decision (Unanimous) 5 5:00
    Last edited by ersatz; 03-04-2007 at 01:13 AM. Reason: hytfry

21. Quickly almost off the top of my head so pts may be off. Looks like rogue won, congrats.

Sikdog picks randy by dec by lists time as 2:39, wtf?!(gave him the point anyways) -19
    Mulletsoldier -14
    SirSavage-16
    jas123-15
    ersatz-9
    brassmonkey-16
    MisterEZE-14
    size-11
    beowulf-12
    alexander-14
    vicarious-9
    Rogue Drone-21
    Last edited by ersatz; 03-04-2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling

22. Damn old man!

23. Damn... Sobral did me in.

Randy is the motherf****ing man...

24. Ersatz,

Next time, you can run the contest.

This time, I'm running it, official point counts go up tommorow, chill.

25. I suck..what card!!!! best ufc I've seen seen UFC 1...randy to freekin awesome b$tch slapped sylvia for 25 minutes!

frankln looked like his old self (90% at least)...great night

26. Yeah Franklin looked pretty good and I don't think the KO loss to Silva will affect him much. I'd just posted the result of the event and the contet incase anyone was impatient like me. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Congrats to Randy, I just wonder if Crocop will get a shot if he beats Gonzaga. They might force him to fight Sylvia and the winner gets a match with Couture. Or maybe Randy wants to drop to 205 and rematch Chuck.

27. Well god damn. Randy is the man. I'm gonna punch my friend for getting married tonight and making me miss this. I really didn't think that Randy had a chance. I'm surprised Babalu lost but I do think he was overrated going in to the fight.

28. I have to say, randy looked awesome.

29. Back in the Saddle, Again!

Place - Player - Points
    1 - Rogue Drone - 21
    2 - sikdogg - 19
    3 - brass monkey -16
    3 -Sir Savage - 16
    5 - jas123 - 15
    6 - Alexander - 14
    6 - MisterEZE - 14
    6 - Mulletsoldier - 14
    9 - Size - 11
    10 - Beowulf - 10
    11 - ersatz - 9
    11 - Vicarious - 9

30. Dam RD we need to go to vegas i owe you two now. Wow Randy is the man the old man still had a few tricks and owned that big bastard. I was suprised somewhat but you never know.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. UFC 75 picks contest!
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
  2. UFC 74 Picks Contest!
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
  3. UFC 71 Picks contest
    By Rodja in forum MMA