Kid In MMA

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Ive been training at a pretty hardcore mma gym for about 8 months. My son who is 11:think: trains there also. The problem lies when my wife takes him or his grandparents there not impressed whith all the shady cats lurking around. And the next big thing they do not have kids classes just beginner bjj judo and ti boxing so he is in class with mostly high school kids and older there is one other kid that is 12. so he is exposed to more than he should be. I on the other hand know he not an angel and rember what it was like when i was that age. So im on the fence he is a good kid makes all A's in school. I took kempo when i was younger. Im dont know if should get him into something more structured such as kenpo or not he does not want to change he loves it, but i cant alienate him bye going to his instructer and demanding no cussing no talking about the partying you did this weekend what is everyone input should i have my wife pissed at me or my son?

Last edited:
exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think a lot of parents these days are overly controlling. Let the kid do it if he wants to, just provide guidance to correct against the influence of the more unseemly elements there.

size

Awards
  • Established
Your son should be training with other children close to his age. Introducing him to a more structured martial arts program will be better for his overall development not only as a martial artist but as a person. He should not be introduced to the attitudes and lifestyles of young adults when he is just a child.

In my opinion, much of the humility, honor, and discipline of traditional martial arts is being lost b/c the attitude of MMA. This is unfortunate in my mind.

hrdgain81

hrdgain81

Awards
I for one wish I could have been involved in that type of training when I was that age. I would let him continue, you just need to take care that you teach him that not everything he sees or hears (especially from older kids) is to be repeated or looked up to. As long as you show him the difference, he will be just fine.

In my opinion, much of the humility, honor, and discipline of traditional martial arts is being lost b/c the attitude of MMA. This is unfortunate in my mind.
The misconception that the martial arts are about teaching humility, honor, or discipline is what is leading you to believe this. The main and original purpose of all Martial arts is to impose your will on others.

Although, if I see one more 18yo kid wearing a "tapout" shirt, thinking he is a badass after his last 6 months of Bjj training, I might just lose it.

size

Awards
  • Established
The misconception that the martial arts are about teaching humility, honor, or discipline is what is leading you to believe this. The main and original purpose of all Martial arts is to impose your will on others.
Of course martial arts were originally developed for physical offense and defense and they are still used in such a manner today. However, to ignore that martial arts can be an excellent way to learn humility, honor, discipline, etc is foolsih. Often in life, one's learning process is influenced by those who one learns with and from.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think that BJJ that excellent for anyone at any age because it teaches you to remain relaxed, even when you may be in trouble. That and it is great physical activity.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Of course martial arts were originally developed for physical offense and defense and they are still used in such a manner today. However, to ignore that martial arts can be an excellent way to learn humility, honor, discipline, etc is foolsih. Often in life, one's learning process is influenced by those who one learns with and from.
Personally, I think there are better ways to learn humility, honor, discipline, etc than martial arts... You wouldn't get a job in construction to get in shape, would you? It'll do that to some extent but really it's more suited to learning how to build ****.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
The classes are structured and have a traditional instructers the judo instructor is a 7th dan blackbelt and in the judo hall of fame. The bjj instructor is a Renzo Gracie black belt. The intro students are not allowed joint manipulation during spareing mostly throws form the clinch, and ground transitions.

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
The classes are structured and have a traditional instructers the judo instructor is a 7th dan blackbelt and in the judo hall of fame. The bjj instructor is a Renzo Gracie black belt.
When then, it is really a case of whether or not you believe you child should be spending time training with other children or with young adults. Personally, I think other children is the correct choice.

papa G

Awards
You also gotta watch other kids b/c peer pressure is a b*tch! A kid nowadays probably learns more bad things from his middle school football team than from young adults! Being 11-12 today is the new 16!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It probably wouldn't hurt for him to train with less experienced instructors for a few years to get a base. When he's in his mid-teens he can come back to this school.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for everyones input, i think im going to push the idea of starting a kids class. If not there is a really good kenpo gym close to the house ill take him to visit. Just trying to keep him off the playstation and active in something he loves.

hrdgain81

hrdgain81

Awards
Thanks for everyones input, i think im going to push the idea of starting a kids class. If not there is a really good kepo gym close to the house ill take him to visit. Just trying to keep him off the playstation and active in something he loves.
What ever you decide, its obvious you are a great parent. I hope all goes well.

eh, if your looking to fuedal japan for an example of humility, honor, disipline ... your barking up the wrong tree. Now if you want to send a kid to a mcdojo were he will learn to be a robot, and say yes sir, no sir, then thats a different story. Some kids need that very badly, I for one did when I was 11. But to me its not optimal, and thats not traditional martial arts either. that americanized suedo b.s. used to make money, and create a suedo military styled sub culture.