GSP-Hughes III

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

GSP-Hughes III

Dana White announced they will fight April 7 in Montreal. Is this too early for Hughes to get his rematch? It may be. GSP dismantled Hughes with ease. Perhaps Hughes should fight Diego Sanchez after he takes out Riggs on Wednesday. I'm not sure, I know Hughes is (was) the best WW in the world, but the rematch situation in UFC is out of control. I guess this announcement shows how much faith Dana White has in Matt Serra!

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.38%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Hughes game plan should be a lot less standing and a lot more shooting.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.83%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Hughes game plan should be a lot less standing and a lot more shooting.
    agreed, hell, any aggressiveness would help. he just kind of stood there last go round.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50%

Agreed Matt will have to take it to the ground fast.

I am rooting for Matt (have to stick with blood).

GSP is a amazing fighter.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEZE
    ...I'm not sure, I know Hughes is (was) the best WW in the world, but the rematch situation in UFC is out of control.
    I'm not a Matt Hughes fan, but he was definitely the best in the for some time...you have to admit that a few things fell his way though...think about how he got the belt from Carlos Newton (that fight pisses me off everytime I watch it) and then the circumstances in which he got it back when The Prodigy stepped over to K1...Hughes definitely did well at holding onto the belt once he got it though. There's no denying that.

Anyways, Matt Hughes wants very badly to knock somebody out and I think he let that get the best of him against GSP the second time around.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50%

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas
    Anyways, Matt Hughes wants very badly to knock somebody out and I think he let that get the best of him against GSP the second time around.

Yep, Pride will get you everytime.
    It's the major demon i fight everyday.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

This really doesn't surprise me too much because the next couple of legitimate WW title fights will be rematches. I am a little annoyed at the talk that Diego should get a shot before BJ because BJ is 0-2 in his last 2 fights. BJ was either dominating or in control of each of those fights and I still think that he won against GSP in their first fight.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    This really doesn't surprise me too much because the next couple of legitimate WW title fights will be rematches. I am a little annoyed at the talk that Diego should get a shot before BJ because BJ is 0-2 in his last 2 fights. BJ was either dominating or in control of each of those fights and I still think that he won against GSP in their first fight.
    agreed.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

This is a little silly to have the rematch so soon. I'm sure Hughes will have a lot of fans cheering for him in Montreal given his recent statements about Canada. If Diego wins tonight, I want to see him against one of the big three.

Based on the UFC scoring, I think GSP beat BJ. If you want to argue that the UFC scoring should be changed then I'm listening.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jas123
    This is a little silly to have the rematch so soon. I'm sure Hughes will have a lot of fans cherring for him in Montreal given his recent statements about Canada. If Diego wins tonight, I want to see him against one of the big three.

Based on the UFC scoring, I think GSP beat BJ. If you want to argue that the UFC scoring should be changed the I'm listening.
    I just think that GSP won because of two takedowns throughout the fight. BJ clearly won the striking and attempted more submissions and I also think that the first round could have been a 10-8 round for BJ. I think that the judging of UFC fights is very, very suspect and if cumulative damage and takedowns that actually lead to damage and/or submissions were added to the criteri, then there would be less disagreement. I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.
    ...and that is why I love the yellow card and Bushido rules...but, as we all know, Pride is a whole different animal.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas
    ...and that is why I love the yellow card and Bushido rules...but, as we all know, Pride is a whole different animal.
    Word
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%

I just think that GSP won because of two takedowns throughout the fight. BJ clearly won the striking and attempted more submissions and I also think that the first round could have been a 10-8 round for BJ. I think that the judging of UFC fights is very, very suspect and if cumulative damage and takedowns that actually lead to damage and/or submissions were added to the criteri, then there would be less disagreement. I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.
    I agree with your statements on scoring 100%. Pride's scoring is better, but a little too subjective IMO. There have been some questionable decisions in Pride too, just look at poor Mezger's career over there.
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%

Quote Originally Posted by jas123
    I agree with your statements on scoring 100%. Pride's scoring is better, but a little too subjective IMO. There have been some questionable decisions in Pride too, just look at poor Mezger's career over there.
    There is not a flawless system when opinions are involved, but I think that if there is a split decision in a fight, then they should continue the fight.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.51%

I'll be more than happy to watch a rematch. GSP is phenomenal. I'm a Hughes fan too. Diego kicks azz but will have a learning experience if he ever gets in the octagon with GSP.

GSP vs. BJ was a good fight. GSP may have looked for the worse but was clearly the winner.
  16. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.77%

The Serra vs GSP fight is trying to be avoided because they are friends... they are trying to get Serra a title shot at the lighter division. Besides, Serra has no chance.

cc
  17. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    The Serra vs GSP fight is trying to be avoided because they are friends... they are trying to get Serra a title shot at the lighter division. Besides, Serra has no chance.

cc
    You're right, and I hope Serra gets a shot at 155, cause like you said he has no chance against GSP.

Similar Forum Threads

1. UFC 65 gsp vs hughes fight (no sound)
    By maxfeez in forum MMA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 09:13 PM
  2. Matt Hughes Wins
    By MadJimF in forum MMA
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
  3. Is the Hughes vs Gracie fight still on 3-4?
    By warriorway in forum MMA
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-01-2006, 08:52 PM
  4. WORLD WAR III
    By CrAzyOttER in forum Politics
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 08:03 AM
  5. Prohormones to Become Schedule III Drugs
    By PsYoP78 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 05:19 PM