Anyone Buy Instructional DVD's?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been looking through the store at sherdog to check out the instructional DVD's. I can't always make classes at the specific times, but I want to keep learning about the moves. Right now I'm considering Bas' Big DVDs of combat: http://www.sherdog.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=234

The price is good, and the material is extremely thorough.

Suggestions?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All you need is Bas and maybe a BJJ instruction.

size

Awards
  • Established
For working out/cardio get the Bas Rutten MMA series. It is great for cardio and increasing your striking speed.
Another one to look into is the Erik Paulson CSW series.

JKC12482

Awards
depends on which martial art you are looking at studying, what classes do you take, if it's practical street self defense than i agree, bas rutten is good, if it's bjj, videos are worthless it is 100% hands on training

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think Randy Coture and Frank Shamrock's centuryvision videos are both quite good. Bas Rutten's big dvd of combat is also near the top of the heap. Mark Hatmaker's stuff is decent too.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Instructional dvds can never replace in person instruction but can give you a few ideas. Problem with this is that you may try techniques above your skill set and thus risk injury. I see it all the time where people want to pull off new moves and wind up injuring themselves or others. It's better to master the basics that try to learn a slew of moves. That said if you got at least a year under your belt they can be of some benefit.

Bas' Big DVDs of Combat is a decent all around instructional. Some of the techs don't work very well though, like his buck and shuck backdoor escape from the mount. Better off trying to sweep.

Karo has a decent Judo for MMA, it's more helpful to prevent Judo techs as employing them is a different matter.

Rodney King's set is ok, the monkey defense is especially good if caught off guard.

Schrembri has a decent omoplata set though hard to pull off.

Marcelo Garcia has several bjj but are more oriented toward sport jiujitsu.

There's various instructionals on the various types of guard, dynamic, rubber, half, sitting-up, spider, butterfly etc. Kesting has a decent dynamic guard, Eddie Bravo is the pioneer of the Rubber Guard(though IME it's hard to employ in MMA) and Mauricio "Tinguinha" Mariano has good spider, cross, and sitting-up guard instructs.

There's plenty of all in one sets too like Renzo and Kukuks, Kukuk's A-Z of BJJ, Daniel Moraes, Saulo Ribeiro, Gustavo Dantas, etc. In the end most are just flash moves that won't work except on the inexperienced. Most are sport jiu-jitsu oriented and don't transfer over to mma unless you like getting your face bashed in. I likely have over 100 instructional dvds but haven't watched any in over a year because they just can't replace the actual experience.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input! My biggest frustration is that I can't train BJJ often b/c the class is too late at night. Fridays are the best time for me, but it is cancelled at least 1-2 times/month to go support the guys who are fighting. My MT is much better, so I'd like to keep educating myself on BJJ when I can't make it to class.

I think I'll pick up Bas' set b/c I know I benefit from watching closely and breaking things down into steps. Should be much easier when watching a DVD.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the extra input, Rogue. I'm still leaning toward getting Bas' set b/c it is so complete. One thing I'm curious about is if he goes into detail about the footwork. I find I have trouble knowing exactly where to be, where and when to move my feet. For example, when ducking under a hook and side clinching to deliver a hook to the kidney, the punch is often awkward. I don't have a great base under me, and I'm reaching for the target instead of being set up to deliver. My instructor is smooth as hell and does it all effortlessly. I've been watching closely and am getting better, but I'd like to keep working on it at home.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the extra input, Rogue. I'm still leaning toward getting Bas' set b/c it is so complete. One thing I'm curious about is if he goes into detail about the footwork. I find I have trouble knowing exactly where to be, where and when to move my feet. For example, when ducking under a hook and side clinching to deliver a hook to the kidney, the punch is often awkward. I don't have a great base under me, and I'm reaching for the target instead of being set up to deliver. My instructor is smooth as hell and does it all effortlessly. I've been watching closely and am getting better, but I'd like to keep working on it at home.
I think it would suit you best to have your coach correct your footwork.

If you do get those DVD's would you mind taping them and sending them to me? We could work out some kind of trade.

size

Awards
  • Established
For example, when ducking under a hook and side clinching to deliver a hook to the kidney, the punch is often awkward. I don't have a great base under me, and I'm reaching for the target instead of being set up to deliver. My instructor is smooth as hell and does it all effortlessly.
Difficult to describe but here is my attempt:
Bob and weave to avoid the hook and set up for the body hook. The bob is like a V(inverted) and the weave is alike a U. The weave will set you up with the pivot to throw a hook. Bend at the knees and not at the waist(waist bend will get you a knee in the face). Keep you head close to his body and light on your feet. Following these mechanics should allow you to be set to throw the body hook.

This is the Bas workout I am referring to. Really is great training in my opinion.
Bas Workout

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Difficult to describe but here is my attempt:
Bob and weave to avoid the hook and set up for the body hook. The bob is like a V(inverted) and the weave is alike a U. The weave will set you up with the pivot to throw a hook. Bend at the knees and not at the waist(waist bend will get you a knee in the face). Keep you head close to his body and light on your feet. Following these mechanics should allow you to be set to throw the body hook.

This is the Bas workout I am referring to. Really is great training in my opinion.
Bas Workout
I've been working on this a lot recently, and I'm getting much better at it. The 1/4 steps needed to position my body close enough to get the hook were off, so I was always reaching too much, leading to a weak hook while leaving myself wide open.

Now that I'm getting it down, there are so many great combos from here, such as ducking under a right hook: you can throw a great right hook to the abdomen with tons of momentum, and then a nice left hook to the kidney on the other end of the movement. You can follow the kidney shot with an overhand right. These combos are great b/c it is easy to really work through the hips to get power in all of these shots. :D

swank

Banned
Awards
I would say its up to two people to get your base and footwork done. Your instructor and you. If you just keep at it over and over even at home practicing you will eventually adapt to it. Your best may not be THE BEST but you definitely will adapt to it and feel like you have a base with practice and practice. Some may think its easy they are either gifted or stupid to think they are correct. Most of us have to work on this hard. Well at least I do but it did come.

sureshot!

sureshot!

Awards
I'd just like to add that while morally/ethically grey, you can download a good amount of the instructionals- especially since some are in the $100 range.

Pending on your commitment and progress in BJJ, you might want to pick up an instructional based on defense/escapes.

Just from my experience, the first six months I rarely ever attacked, and just learned how to defend myself.

MMABoxing

Awards
check out the Chute Box Instuctional Collection,Versions 1 thru 6. I also have Bas Ruttens Big DVD of Combat Instuctional they are both very good.

scrappydog

Awards
They don't replace a good teacher but....
For BJJ here are some great ones. (Great because of the quality of instruction, not just the quantity or uniqueness of the moves.)

Saulo 1 Jiu Jitsu Revolution, Carlos Machado Infinite Jiu Jitsu, Robson Moura Fusion, Braulio Estima

No Gi - Baret Yoshida 3 dvd set on guard, SBGi Functional JKD 2 and 3 (also some gi and mma)
Marcelo Garcia 3rd set.

MMA - Sperry Vale Tudo 1 and 2, SBGi Functional JKD 2 and 3.

budovideos.com has almost all dvds available except Straight Blast Gyms'. Those are very good.