How does one start training for MMA?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Go to subfighter or mma.tv and look for a school in your area. Check out a few, pick the one that seems best for your goals, and sign up.

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
If possible could you give an estimate as to how much the training would cost per month? Will definately look at those sites though. Thanks.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
At least $100 from what I've seen. I have unlimited classes for $145. It seems like a lot, but comes out to 7.25/class going 5x per week. I try to do 6.

I have a thread in this section about searching for a gym. Look it up and you'll see a lot of the advice the more experienced guys here gave me. I'm a total noob to this.

size

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, the best way to start training is to pick one of a few common areas to start training (such as muay thai, kick boxing, jui jitsu, or submission wrestling). Once you become skilled in one area, then add a new area to focus while continuing to train in the other. Continue this process to become well rounded.

What are your goals?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started by learning BJJ b/c I know that grappling is important and not as easy to practice by yourself. I picked up Muay Thai about 6 months later and now I train each at least 2x/wk. Withing the next year or so, I want to find a school that teaches sambo, but there are not any credible ones within about 200 miles of where I live.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Judo can be helpful too once you have your striking and ground game down. Look at Carl Perisian or whatever his name is. He just tosses guys around with his Judo skill.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We have alot of gyms down here in hawaii. A friend of mine trained with BJ Penn for a while. I was thinking of joining that gym too.

will175

will175

Awards
I agree that Judo can help only if you use it right, I think it would take a long time to get to that point with Judo..Like it was stated look for a gym close by you and train in one art at a time, and dont push it to hard and hurt yourself. Most of all dont be like some of these kids Ive trained with, they come in to the gym for couple months then grow some big balls then when they are out on the street they act like punks. Humble your self and you will absorb more info. Good Luck with your training.....PistonPump where in hawaii you from? Alllrright.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
auuuuurigh! haha Aiea Oahu brah. I saw your post in the BJ Penn Matt Hughes thread and i swear i saw some pigeon english come out fast kine!

blahblah192

Banned
Awards
Thanks guys. I'm not really looking to get into it right now. BJJ looks like it would be a really good start or kickboxing.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would rather take muay thai first. Im a stand up kinda guy.:twisted:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if they cant get past your fists and feet then how are they gonna take you down? lol It doesnt need to go to the ground if they are sleeping already.

will175

will175

Awards
if they cant get past your fists and feet then how are they gonna take you down? lol It doesnt need to go to the ground if they are sleeping already.
Hahaha.good one. I lived by ice palace for a little while but Im from Kaneohe, now I have been in Vegas for bout 2 years....Oh and yes I also agree if you are going to take a type of stand up take muay tai instead of kick boxing. But you do need to be well rounded. There is always the punchers chance and some people have it more than others. Good luck anyways.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In MMA, it really depends if you want to fight in a cage or in a ring. For the cage, grappling is better because you can pin your opponent against the cage and use short elbows and subs. In a ring, strong stand up is much more important. Except for Nog, all of the great fighters in PRIDE all have outstanding striking. Still, like it has been said before, learning multiple arts is 100% necessary for success. Mark Hunt is a great fighter, but when he faces good grapplers, he has little chance of winning (e.g. Barnett).

axekick

Awards
Any luck finding a school blahblah? Where are you from? Do you have any prior martial arts training? You should be able to find a place that offers standup and ground technique. One that mixes it up will be best if you actually want to fight. However, to really be great, you should consider mastering some art and then adding to it to be well rounded. This stuff is a lifestyle.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
"Still, like it has been said before, learning multiple arts is 100%necessary for success."
While incorporating various martial arts together is always beneficial, a person fighting in MMA can still be successfull, just by being proficient at what he or she does, without incorporating other styles. Hence, Chuck Liddell.

I have been involved with MMA since I was a little one. I have won fights, I have lost fights. Not once, have I ever had the intent to take the opponent to the ground. This would mean that I have to get close to him.... avoiding close, unnecessary contact as much as possible, is the one thing I have instilled in my fighting style throuought the years, and it has proven successful.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While incorporating various martial arts together is always beneficial, a person fighting in MMA can still be successfull, just by being proficient at what he or she does, without incorporating other styles. Hence, Chuck Liddell.

I have been involved with MMA since I was a little one. I have won fights, I have lost fights. Not once, have I ever had the intent to take the opponent to the ground. This would mean that I have to get close to him.... avoiding close, unnecessary contact as much as possible, is the one thing I have instilled in my fighting style throuought the years, and it has proven successful.
Being superb at several arts is not necessary, but at least being able to defend another person is. For example, when Chuck Liddell fought Jeremy Horn the furst time, he did not know what to do once he was on the ground and got choked out. However, he has since learned how to defend against grapplers and just because he doesn't use subs that doesnt mean he is not skilled in grappling. Crocop is also an example of this. When he first started MMA, he was very susceptible to the ground, but now that he has been training with Werdum, he has a better set of skills which he has incorporated into his game. The first and second fights with Wandy highlight the difference. The first time, Wandy would take CC to the ground when he was in trouble, but he was not able to do so in their last fight and got KTFO'd.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Most schools offer a mix of bjj, MT, self defense, etc. So it's possible to focus on all or one. Prices range from $30-$100/month on average. I've noticed some will charge $30 for MT, $30 for no-gi grappling, $30 gi grappling, etc.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
As for needing good stand-up that's simply not true. Having superb striking means you always have a puncher's chance and thus are only one strike away from winning thus improving your odds.

As for keeping your disatnce while fighting, I don't favor it much, especially in a street fight. Reason being is most people can't fight in a clinch and close distance can eliminate the use of a gun or knife. It's less likely to be caught by a punch especially hwen people can't generate much force in a short distance. Of course it all comes down to preference and the way you feel comfortable fighting.

Irish480

Awards
I do BJJ and submission wrestling at AZ combat just short of 10 miles from my home. Gustavo Dantas is the **** :)

Kegger

Awards
auuuuurigh! haha Aiea Oahu brah. I saw your post in the BJ Penn Matt Hughes thread and i swear i saw some pigeon english come out fast kine!
Thats a nice area. I was there a couple of months ago. I think I was in Haleiwa when I ran across some guys training in BJJ. I had just come out of the ocean and was soaking wet, I wanted to roll with them soooo bad but my fiance wanted to get going. I think they were a part of Renzo Gracie academy. When I told them that I train under Carlson Gracie in Chicago, they wanted me to roll with them too! Oh well, maybe next time.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MMA is growing everywhere but here in hawaii its like there are so many gyms and guys training. I think Robbie Lawler moved down here permanently to fight at Hawaii events.

will175

will175

Awards
He did. yah hawaii has good ground for training. I hope Pride starts getting big, so people (not guys on this forum) stop associating MMA only with UFC, Pride has some pretty Tap kind of guys. 1 more day till BJ fights,ooohh yah.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I think you need to figure out how you like to fight, where you are naturally most comfortable, and make that your primary area of study. Get REALLY good at that.

Beyond that I think there are certain things every fighter needs to know to succeed in MMA, for instance: Basic boxing defense, Takedown defense, defense against leg kicks, basic clinch fighting skills, basic submission escapes (armbar, most chokes, kimura/keylock and related holds, kneebar, heel hook) from their various positions and the ability to move into or out of your or your opponents guard/mount/etc.

I do think it's a good idea for everyone to learn at least one submission in each position and get REALLY good at it. This means practicing 3 or 4 submissions every day, but the payoff is going to be that if your opponent is unaware of your skill you can catch them sleeping and pull off a surprise submission. Even if they are aware, they're going to be overly cautious about what they do when on the ground with you, since they probably won't know just how limited your submission skills are.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
dont get me wrong i luv the trad. arts but if ur just starting and mma is gonna be in ur life for quite a while, id start with either mauy thai, kickboxing or like me:head: start with boxing. considering a punch is gonna affect the outcome of a fight moreso than a throw, start mastering the hands first and progressively add the rest. I admit muay thai and kickboxing b/c they focus moreso on hand work witht the addition of kicks kness, etc. plus the amount of upper body strength youll get from just trad. bxing training will be through the roof, not to mention that of muay thai training. put it this way i used to spar with a guy i meet here at college a year ago. he had NO experience in anything and was basically asking for tips and advice in starting, basically what u are doin now. I ran into him about a month ago and hes been in muay thai ever since, and also gained quite a bit of mass in a year as well. now hes 6'4 200ish ripped and quite good so....besides i do believe in training in everything from grappiling, submission sandup etc etc, but i cant tell u how many ppl i went against that bet on their grappling and submission skills to win a sparring match and as they went in i would give them a nice close in left hook to the head and solve that prob. but anyway i am rambling good luck in finding something whatever u chose just remeber to be safe

JKC12482

Awards
here's what i think you should do, step back and give yourself an honest look, and ask yourself, do i have what it takes to be a mma fighter? you can't just think that because a couple of your boys think you can fight that you can get in the ring with these guys, they train alot and when i mean alot , i really mean it, you have to be dedicated, and it's a long road to be a pro, even if you're awesome, you can still fight all your life and not make it, because let's face it, the ufc and pride also are becoming spectator sports, you have to know people to get there and be entertaining also

SSFgear

SSFgear

Awards
Join a local gym and take a BJJ and Muay Thai class to start. At our Academy we offer a MMA class as well. After about 9-12 months enter a local MMA event and see what you think.

At our school we charge $70 a month for any one section of our program (mma, bjj, muay thai or boxing) or $100 a month unlimited. Check out a few different schools in your area and find one thats right for you.