Matt Hughes Wins

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I will eat my words, matt wins the fight, I thought for sure Gracie would take it...

oh well

I ment matt hughes

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Re: Matt Huges Wins

It was brutal, just brutal.
I am gutted.
:(

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I actually saw this on T.V. today, it was an excellent fight, glad I caught most of it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Hughes by complete domination. I really thought he was going to snap Gracies arm. Well, we know for sure that the sport has evolved.

On a side note, Joe "Quick tap" Riggs could have at least tried to get out of the guillitine.

tattoopierced1

i knew hughes would win...now to collect my $50 on Tuesday from the saps at work....

theragingbull

Awards

Yeah! Hughes I knew he could do it,What they need too do
is show the ToughMan fights on t.v.

SizeMatters

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established

It was brutal, just brutal.
I am gutted.
:(

I feel the same way. I was saddened. It truly shows the evolution of the sport. Now we can only hope that GSP kicks Hughes' ass :D

phillyb

phillyb

Awards

Yeah Hughes just dominated Gracie. I'm really looking forward to UFC 61 and those matchups. :head:

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Royce had little chance of winning. Royce winning is like saying Ray Leonard is coming out of retirement and beating Jermain Taylor or Winky.

Hughes finished the fight quickly and nearly got the submission - Big John said he could hear the arm popping.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established

What a great night of fighting! Every fight was just awesome.

size

Awards
  • Established

Not surprised by the outcome at all. It served no purpose for the UFC is Gracie won.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Gracie didn't have a chance. I was thinking while I was watching, if they outcome would have been different if you pitted Gracie 10 years ago against Hughes..But, it probably would garner the same result.

Irish480

Awards

Who the hell would even go for gracie? That old man didn't even stand a chance - he was dead when he walked into the octagon

gresh

gresh

Awards

The UFC must have paid him very well. If Gracie wins, then what, would STILL be thought of as one of the most dominate fighters ever, I dont think he would fight on a continuous basis. Since he lost, he has his first defeat in the octagon and has some what tarnished his rep. He's still one of the best, but I will always remember the time Hughes beat his ass. Gracie shouldve stayed away from UFC and continued to fight an occasional easy match over in Pride.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Poor Gracie didn't stand a chance.

Hughes is superhuman.

And no, the Gracie of 10 years ago wouldn't have done any better because if anything, he wasn't as good back then as he is now.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

The UFC must have paid him very well. If Gracie wins, then what, would STILL be thought of as one of the most dominate fighters ever, I dont think he would fight on a continuous basis. Since he lost, he has his first defeat in the octagon and has some what tarnished his rep. He's still one of the best, but I will always remember the time Hughes beat his ass. Gracie shouldve stayed away from UFC and continued to fight an occasional easy match over in Pride.
Gracie made 1.3M for this fight.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I heard that hughes popped for gear, any body know if there is any truth to this????

size

Awards
  • Established
Royce is not much older than Hughes, only 7 years so it is not as if it was Helio fighting.

In my mind, the problems lies in that the Gracie's believe that BJJ is all they need to win. This is clearly not the case. Hughes was not needed to prove this, all one had to do was watch Sakurabu.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Royce is not much older than Hughes, only 7 years so it is not as if it was Helio fighting.

In my mind, the problems lies in that the Gracie's believe that BJJ is all they need to win. This is clearly not the case. Hughes was not needed to prove this, all one had to do was watch Sakurabu.

7 years is a huge difference in competitive sports. Royce is in his forties and it hard to be competitive at that age especially when fighting someone who is in their prime.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Glad I did'nt pay for that event, that was one of less interesting UFCs I've seen, too many fights over too fast.

It's suprises me how much Hughes hating was going on before the fight on the MMA forums. Many people interpreted Matt's comments about Royce as arrogant, to my eye it was just realistic analysis of where Gracie old school is versus where Militech new school is.

What's not to like about Matt Hughes? Down to earth,hardworking,talented and tough, working on new skills and improving the old and not talking smack about others, I don't get the hate.

Alessio armbaring Sanchez with his own neck would have been cool, overall, IMO, that event was definetly not worth $40.
I don't get the Hughes hate either. He's very no nonsense and people seem to mistake thisfor him being an a-hole.

size

Awards
  • Established
7 years is a huge difference in competitive sports. Royce is in his forties and it hard to be competitive at that age especially when fighting someone who is in their prime.
Royce is only 39, where as Hughes is 32, only 7 years.

I did not hear Couture complaining when he dominated Ortiz, when he is 12 years Ortiz's elder. Couture was 39/40 during that fight.
I did not hear Mark Coleman complaining after he beat Rua, when Coleman is 17 years Rua's elder. Coleman was 41 in the fight.
Both Rua and Ortiz are/were top level fighters.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uart4xsN-4s"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Irish480

Awards
Hopefully Matt Hughes can go kick GSP's ass now again.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully Matt Hughes can go kick GSP's ass now again.
GSP will win that fight. GSP was controlling the first fight until Hughes pulled off the slick arm bar. To me its weird how Hughes can be so dominant at times, and then look like sh*t at other times. BJ pretty much dominated him, then Charuto handled him pretty well(lost a split, prob should've won). Styles make fights, and Gracie's style does not match up well with Hughes( I actually thought Gracie had a good chance). When Hughes brings the A game it is tough to handle him. Judging by GSP/Hughes 1, and the progress GSP has made, I think Hughes may be in trouble. One thing Hughes has over all his opponents is strength, not with GSP. GSP is a huge and strong 170.

gresh

gresh

Awards
GSP will win that fight. GSP was controlling the first fight until Hughes pulled off the slick arm bar. To me its weird how Hughes can be so dominant at times, and then look like sh*t at other times. BJ pretty much dominated him, then Charuto handled him pretty well(lost a split, prob should've won). Styles make fights, and Gracie's style does not match up well with Hughes( I actually thought Gracie had a good chance). When Hughes brings the A game it is tough to handle him. Judging by GSP/Hughes 1, and the progress GSP has made, I think Hughes may be in trouble. One thing Hughes has over all his opponents is strength, not with GSP. GSP is a huge and strong 170.
I hope so, Ive always like GSP and his fighting style. He seems like a real nice guy in his interviews. Since his first meeting with Hughes, I think he's improved a ton, he freaking dismantled Trigg.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I understand no one fights perfect every time out, but Hughes looked really bad against Penn and Charuto. GSP isn't always dominant, but he never has just not looked like himself. He did great against Penn, what composure. He got poked and/or blasted with some good shots, and was able to come back and control one of the best grapplers in the world on the ground for 2 rounds. Anyways, I think if Hughes brings his A game it will be a close call, but I really think if he comes in lackluster(a la Penn) GSP could potentially dominate him. I'm prepared for the flaming, and maybe dominate is a bit strong, more like control the whole fight.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "pop for gear" mean? I understand the gear, but the pop?

Irish480

Awards
It's the suprising sound of Matt's wallet opening, he's a frugal countryboy, one might say cheap, usually the only thing he springs/pops for is the coffee part of a country breakfast.
Yeah I suppose the gallant gracie and his 1.3 million dollar check is in no way frugal as opposed to the man who has been consistently fighting for years(Mr. Hughes).

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I would like to see Rickson get manhandled, but people will just say "oh he's old now back in his prime it would be different". Its truely amazing that people think Rickson is one of the greatest MMA fighters ever, he fought absolutely nobody. His best win was against an old and injured Funaki. In the mid-late 90's he should've been fighting Saku, Bas, Kerr, Igor, somebody.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "pop for gear" mean? I understand the gear, but the pop?
He meant to say "popped for gear", meaning busted or in trouble for using gear.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Right, its amazing how retarded people are. Most people I talk to truely believe that Bruce Lee could beat Fedor or any MMA guy. I try to reason with them(which is an obvious mistake) telling them Bruce Lee never had a real fight, weighs 140 pounds, didn't have the training technology, it goes in one ear and out the other. There rebuttal is "Yeah, but you never know, Bruce Lee was a bad ass". At this point, I begin pondering why I'm on this earth, and possibly leaving it. I'd like to apologize for semi starting a Rickson/Bruce Lee conversation.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established

even if that had been what I had wrote, I am almost positive that if you thought about if for one second you could have come up with a logical explanation. :stick:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
One of my buddys told me, that is why I am asking!!!!:frustrate
never heard of such an accusation but perhaps your buddy is 'in the know' or maybe he just thinks he is. if hughes had popped, it would be a little more known. JMO.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Right, its amazing how retarded people are. Most people I talk to truely believe that Bruce Lee could beat Fedor or any MMA guy. I try to reason with them(which is an obvious mistake) telling them Bruce Lee never had a real fight, weighs 140 pounds, didn't have the training technology, it goes in one ear and out the other. There rebuttal is "Yeah, but you never know, Bruce Lee was a bad ass". At this point, I begin pondering why I'm on this earth, and possibly leaving it. I'd like to apologize for semi starting a Rickson/Bruce Lee conversation.
:bruce3:

Rickson by armbar.

I think there's little question Rickson the best in the Gracie family, but he's still one-dimensional and therefore very vulnerable to today's fighters. It will be interesting to see him go against Sakuraba.

And I just don't see anybody beating Hughes right now. GSP has probably the best chance, but I still don't see it happening. Anybody that Hughes gets a hold of is basically done for.

Hell, he's so strong that he could pretty easily hold his own fighting at 170 vs. guys much heavier than him. I'd love to see him in an openweight ala Pride.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
He would get destroyed in Pride, but if you meant open weight UFC then hell yeah. I'd love to see Hughes/Franklin, Hughes/Ortiz, even Hughes/Mir could be competetive. I realize it could never happen, but it would be great if it did.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
See, I don't think he'd get destroyed in a Pride openweight. I think folks tend to harp on Pride a little too much. Sure, they've got some great fighters. And sure, he'd have a very tough time against someone like Fedor and a few other guys, but I think he would be very competitive overall.

Like I said, I'd love to see it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Pride Open weight, no, but much more competitive than the requisite Japaneses cans they put in.

Welterweight? Henderson_Hughes? I'd take Hughes. He could duck Henderson's punches like Arona did to Silva and shoot,I think he can trade a lot better than most currently realize and he's better on the ground with far better gas.

I'm know I'm sounding like a serious Hughes nuthugger, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.
Oh, I gotta go with hendo on that one. Could go either way, it just seems hendo is a little better at everything then Hughes. Hughes has better ground n pound, but hendo is great at escaping. Could go either way I guess. Now on to Hughes being in Pride open weight, I just can't see who he could beat. Both Nogs, Fedor, Crocop, Barnett, Aleks, Kharitonov, Silva, Shogun, Werdum, it goes on and on, I just don't see him beating any of these guys. Hughes/Bustamante would be good.

size

Awards
  • Established
I think Henderson takes Hughes and I think Henderson is a better wrestler and striker. Henderson was an Olympic Greco Roman wrestler. His striking is a bit unorthodox but it is effective.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, don't forget that Hughes walks around at about 190 and could easily be a middleweight. Against Henderdon, I don't know...neither are great strikers, but Henderdon does have KO power.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Oh, you meant to say got "popped", meaning busted?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From what I can tell about Dan Henderson, he was the ****, probably still is, but he's coasting now in his weight class that's not as talented as the UFC Welterweight division of Hughes, GSP, Penn, Sherk,Riggs,Sanchez and Diaz.
I love watching Henderson's fights. The only guy that has figured out how to submit the guy is Nogueira...and he did so twice. I'd like to see Henderson fight any of the guys mentioned above. And while I'm at it...for some reason I swear I remember recently hearing that Penn is going back down to Lightweight...anybody else hear this?

mountainx31

Awards
I would love to see Hughes fight Wanderlei Silva in Pride. Thoughts?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wandy seems to have trouble with good takedowns so who the hell knows, I think Matt would have a fairly good chance.

I think Wandy tends to be slightly overrated. Shogun is better, IMO, but Wandy is probably still #2 in the world.